Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Difference Between The Falcons And Bengals
(01-23-2017, 12:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The sad thing though is the time to make a coaching change was 3 years ago when we had an elite roster.

We have the 2nd oldest starting defense in the NFL now and free agency has costed us a lot of talent.

Exactly!!! Everyone always thinks there will be a next year and it will get better, but it doesn't. Players age, leave due to FA and injury. You have to strike when the iron is hot. Marvin couldn't win a playoff game with one of the top teams in the NFL last year. 

He never makes proper adjustments in games and prepare a team according to the opponent they are playing that week. In the playoffs its a whole other level. It really is a chess game and the moves you make to put your players in a position to win.

Marvins preparation is, "We have to tackle better"

Next year will be no different. We will be saying the same things on January 23rd 2018!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 11:21 PM)Jpoore Wrote: there's a reason he sits out most years while the Bengals go to the playoffs. Ryan is an average qb while Dalton is a top 7 qb. Ryan had one good year that's it. 

I can understand some Dalton love and love for Dalton but this is just simply ********.

Ryan is most likely the MVP and is for sure better than Dalton.

Julio is currently better than Green until Green can stay healthy and prove otherwise.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 09:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Falcons had Mike Smith as HC who coached them from 08-14. He took the team to the playoffs 4 times in his tenure including a NFC Championship, his last two years were the equivalent to this past year in Cincy. What does Atlanta do? They make a coaching change and today they are going to the Super Bowl and have an opportunity to be SB champions this year. What does Cincy do after such a lackluster, underperforming year? The same thing it always does....nothing.

I wonder if the Falcon fans were worried their team would be horrible after firing their head coach like so many Bengal fans are so worried we will return to the 90's without Lewis? Of course not because its ridiculous logic..

Falcons are preparing for A Super Bowl game and the Bengals are preparing a bowl of cereal....

OP nails this. Great post!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Exactly!!! Everyone always thinks there will be a next year and it will get better, but it doesn't. Players age, leave due to FA and injury. You have to strike when the iron is hot. Marvin couldn't win a playoff game with one of the top teams in the NFL last year. 

He never makes proper adjustments in games and prepare a team according to the opponent they are playing that week. In the playoffs its a whole other level. It really is a chess game and the moves you make to put your players in a position to win.

Marvins preparation is, "We have to tackle better"

Next year will be no different. We will be saying the same things on January 23rd 2018!

Speaking of that, did you notice how the Patsies were so fundamentally sound at wrapping guys us and not missing tackles instead of going for the highlight real tackles?  Discipline, something team NEVER has.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Speaking of that, did you notice how the Patsies were so fundamentally sound at wrapping guys us and not missing tackles instead of going for the highlight real tackles?  Discipline, something team NEVER has.

I know, when I was watching the game I said to my wife how great it was to watch Shitsburgh get their ass completely handed to them. When we play them they always find a way to win no matter how good/bad they play.

Do you know whats hilarious? I won over $100 betting friends that Lewis wouldn't be fired after this year because their favorite teams (Pats, Giants, etc) wouldn't be satisfied just doing well during the season but goal is to win the Super Bowl and they couldn't fathom the idea of Bengals front office keeping Lewis year after year.

My response to them is always the same, "You guys are spoiled, you dont know what its like to be a Bengals fan" LOL 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 10:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: We had Jones, Sanu, Eifert and AJ Green. Bernard and Hill at RB last year and couldn't take care of business. Again.... coaching!

Pretty sure we had AJ McCarron instead of Dalton though.  That's a huge drop-off.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Pretty sure we had AJ McCarron instead of Dalton though.  That's a huge drop-off.

It doesn't matter. We had that game won. A lead late in the game...until the Hill fumble and 2 personal fouls.

The central theme of our playoff appearances has been: We find a way to lose.

Put Dalton in instead of McCarron and maybe we don't dig a huge hole early, but we would still lose. The Steelers almost always beat us in Cincy.

You could woulda, coulda, shoulda our personnel all day, but it wouldn't matter.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Speaking of that, did you notice how the Patsies were so fundamentally sound at wrapping guys us and not missing tackles instead of going for the highlight real tackles?  Discipline, something team NEVER has.

And though the typical responses to this is that the NFPA does not allow it, this is the second team that I've heard announcers report that the teams engaged in "live" tackling drills (the other team being Seattle).   I do not know exactly what this entails and what it excludes, but I don't get the idea that we do it. 

The other thing I noticed last night was the excellent blitz pickups on the part of the Patriots.   I don't know how much of this was scheme and how much of it was pure talent level (probably both), but I hope our HC, AHC/OLC and OC were taking notes.

Brady had a LOT of time back there most of the night.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:28 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I can understand some Dalton love and love for Dalton but this is just simply ********.

Ryan is most likely the MVP and is for sure better than Dalton.

Julio is currently better than Green until Green can stay healthy and prove otherwise.

Do you mean just for this year? Because Jones has missed more time than Green throughout their careers.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 09:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Falcons had Mike Smith as HC who coached them from 08-14. He took the team to the playoffs 4 times in his tenure including a NFC Championship, his last two years were the equivalent to this past year in Cincy. What does Atlanta do? They make a coaching change and today they are going to the Super Bowl and have an opportunity to be SB champions this year. What does Cincy do after such a lackluster, underperforming year? The same thing it always does....nothing.

I wonder if the Falcon fans were worried their team would be horrible after firing their head coach like so many Bengal fans are so worried we will return to the 90's without Lewis? Of course not because its ridiculous logic..

Falcons are preparing for A Super Bowl game and the Bengals are preparing a bowl of cereal....

Nice Thread.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Pretty sure we had AJ McCarron instead of Dalton though.  That's a huge drop-off.

The Pats lost Gronk and not only won a playoff game without him but are going to the Super Bowl. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 02:11 PM)blt4584 Wrote: Do you mean just for this year? Because Jones has missed more time than Green throughout their careers.

Correct. Julio has more receiving yards than Green though. Green has more TDs than Julio.
AJ Green - 86 games, 481 receptions, 7135 yards
Julio Jones - 79 games, 497 receptions, 7610 yards

Both players are studs, but AJ Green made more sense at the time because the Bengals needed a WR1 that was ready to be the guy Day 1. Plus rookie QB and OC to go along with that and no other real receiving threats.
Julio had the luxury of the #3 overall selection in the 2008 draft at QB and had 3 years of experience, plus he had an in-his-prime Roddy White and still-solid Tony Gonzalez.
It would have been interesting to see a rookie AJ Green as the #2 with Chad as the #1 and experienced Palmer at QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 03:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct. Julio has more receiving yards than Green though. Green has more TDs than Julio.

Both players are studs, but AJ Green made more sense at the time because the Bengals needed a WR1 that was ready to be the guy Day 1. Plus rookie QB and OC to go along with that and no other real receiving threats.
Julio had the luxury of the #3 overall selection in the 2008 draft at QB and had 3 years of experience, plus he had an in-his-prime Roddy White and still-solid Tony Gonzalez.
It would have been interesting to see a rookie AJ Green as the #2 with Chad as the #1 and experienced Palmer at QB.
Yes. They could swap AJ and Julio right now, and the production would still be similar with the same team results.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 03:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct. Julio has more receiving yards than Green though. Green has more TDs than Julio.

ATL has also been more willing to air it out while Jones has been there, but part of that is they really haven't the guys to have a decent running game until now.
Reply/Quote
Something else that needs to be brought up for why the Falcons have such a good team...they have nailed their draft overall.
Here are their starters that are still on rookie contracts:
Desmond Trufant, CB (Rd 1 2013) - went on IR
Robert Alford, CB (Rd 2 2013)
Jake Matthews, LT (Rd 1 2014)
Devonta Freeman, RB (Rd 4 2014)
Vic Beasley, LB (Rd 1 2015)
Jalen Collins, CB (Rd 2 2015)
Tevin Coleman, RB (Rd 3 2015)
Grady Jarrett, DT (Rd 5 2015)
Keanu Neal, S (Rd 1 2016)
Deion Jones, LB (Rd 2 2016)
Austin Hooper, TE (Rd 3 2016)
De'Vondre Campbell, LB (Rd 4 2016)
------------------------------

Meanwhile, here are the Bengals starters that were drafted since 2013...
Tyler Eifert
Giovani Bernard
Shawn Williams
Jeremy Hill
Russell Bodine
Cedric Ogbuehi/Jake Fisher (counting as 1 since they split time at the same spot)
---------------------------------

The Falcons have hit on more draft picks and have started them sooner, whereas the Bengals have either whiffed on many picks and/or not given their younger players a chance to start. By the Falcons having their young players start, it has allowed them to have a reduced payroll. They then filled the gaps in the roster with impactful FAs. Yes, it means at some point, they won't have enough money to retain all these good players once they are off their rookie deals, but that's football. Teams have to make "runs" while they have a loaded roster on cheap contracts. The Bengals have not gotten enough out of their recently drafted players to save money on impactful FAs and take that next step.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The biggest difference between the Falcons and the Bengals is. The Falcons are going to the Super Bowl and the Bengals aint!
Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 02:11 PM)blt4584 Wrote: Do you mean just for this year? Because Jones has missed more time than Green throughout their careers.

Oh, I know that Julio has been injured for more, I'm talking about currently...
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 11:21 PM)Jpoore Wrote: there's a reason he sits out most years while the Bengals go to the playoffs. Ryan is an average qb while Dalton is a top 7 qb. Ryan had one good year that's it. 

Matt Ryan has a higher career passer rating than Dalton, he has been to an NFC Championship game and is now going to a Super Bowl, five times in his career he has thrown for more yards than Dalton's career high, he has a higher career TD percentage and a lower interception percentage.

Hard to argue that Ryan has had "one good year".
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Remember when we all thought Sanu and Freeney were crazy for wanting to sign on with the Falcons rather than the Bengals because the Falcons were further away from postseason success? Joke's on us I guess.

Every off-season is the time for insane optimism, but this one took the proverbial cake.  We had ourselves convinced that we were going to keep our elite offense and/or get better without Hue, Jones, Sanu, and Eifert (because the other TEs would step up and get reps, etc).  We threw every bit of faith out there...so it goes!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 05:29 AM)kevin Wrote: The Falcons threw to Sanu, Threw to Sanu, Threw to Sanu in the end zone, Threw to Sanu, threw to Sanu....and then Jones became more open...and they go to Super Bowl....Of course we didn't need Sanu, or Jones or Hall or Nelson or Andre Smith or Whitworth or Zeitler or Kirkpatrick or Peko or Burkhead because we're the mighty Bengals of never a play-off win.  Anybody remember Corey Dillon on the Patriots looking like Jim Brown in that Super Bowl win, yet we always say we were better without them. Yeah, we're great.

Yeah cuz we won so many playoff games will all those guys.

Until the coach is changed, it doesn't matter what players we have or don't have. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote