Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft, player storylines & offseason events RECHARGE Fan interest each year
Many keep pointing to this or that as being a thing that may happen that finally causes them to lose interest in the Bengals.

Saying for example:  "If Marvin returns then I am done".

But Mike Brown has an Ace in the hole. In fact, many Aces.

It is called the Offseason and it Refuels fan interest. Making them believe and Hope again for success in the coming NFL season.

The Draft itself is the ultimate Battery Recharger for honked off fans.

This Board heats up before, during and after the Draft with expectations that this player or that player will finally give the Bengals the Edge they need to Win.

Player storylines also feed into the Fan Recharging.

Will John Ross be healthy next year and if so, will we see his Speed transform the offense ?

Do other teams have retirements (say of Big Ben) that opens the Division door for the Bengals ?

Does our schedule seem favorable or did the Bengals Draft a player you really wanted ?

All of these things are examples of the many Aces in the hole that Mike Brown has in his back pocket as an NFL owner.

Marvin may return, or Hue or Jay Gruden or internal promotion of a New Head Coach.

Fans will declare that they are fed up, turn their backs and look the other way if it isn't the Head Coach they wanted.

But the Draft, player storylines and other offseason events will start pulling them back in.

Instead of both eyes looking away from the Bengals, they will start looking back with just one eye. Still trying to protest in a way.

Soon though, they will be totally back on board, making their own Bengal mock Drafts, talking about how good John Ross will be and totally hooked again for another season.

A rare few may really write off the Bengals.

MOST will get re-hooked this offseason no matter what happens.

Mike Brown has the fans at "Hello".

Let's be honest. Most of us will be just a Mock Draft or a John Ross big preseason play away from getting re-hooked before next season begins.

Then Mike Brown again gets to send another Brinks truck full of cash to his local Bank.

We be Fish on the hook once again.    Tongue
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty much a casual fan anymore. I get excited when things are good, pissed when they are not. But I turn it all off after the game, if I watch or see the score. and go about my day. We all chose this team for 1 reason or another, it is what it is. MB will run this the way he wants to and there is not a damn thing we can do. You want to follow another team or throw the NFL in the trash for good, go knock yourself out.
I'll be here next year and the seasons after that, it doesn't matter to me who is the HC or who the players are. Just entertainment anyways, it's not football.
Reply/Quote
All publicity is good publicity. 
The entire team could all suffer fatal heart attacks and die at the same time and there would be no shortage of people logging in to type RIP and blah blah blah..then get all excited about rebuilding the following season..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My family were original season ticket holders until we moved from Cincinnati

If we had not moved, I am sure we would have kept our tickets.

I would not renew my season tickets next year if Marv returns or if they do not hire a great new coach with authority to hire his own staff.

I truly do not understand why season ticket holders would continue to support this organization absent serious and significant changes- which I am almost 90% sure will not happen.

I truly expect Marv to be extended with the Hobspin article on player support laying the groundwork.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm pretty much a casual fan anymore. I get excited when things are good, pissed when they are not. But I turn it all off after the game, if I watch or see the score. and go about my day. We all chose this team for 1 reason or another, it is what it is. MB will run this the way he wants to and there is not a damn thing we can do. You want to follow another team or throw the NFL in the trash for good, go knock yourself out.
I'll be here next year and the seasons after that, it doesn't matter to me who is the HC or who the players are. Just entertainment anyways, it's not football.

Definitely Entertainment.

Reality TV in a way.

Patriot fans get entertained by Super bowls and we get entertained by how it falls apart.

Like rubber knecking a train wreck.

Mock Drafts make us think the holes can be plugged.

Then we buy in to the idea of maybe winning next season.

Then rubber kneck the train wreck again.
Reply/Quote
Of course I will continue to support the Bengals. I am a Bengals fan through thick and thin. I am also a WVU fan even though they have never won a natonal championship.

I am not a fairweather fan. Losing seasons will not stop me from bleeding black and orange/blue and gold.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'd like them to win, but after all these years it really doesn't matter if they win, lose or draw. I don't care if the stands are completely full or if the stadium crumbles to the ground from remaining completely empty for the next 100 years. It is merely entertainment and now with hundreds of hundreds of streaming channels on TV to choose from and computer technology I could always use some coloring technology to replace super bowl winning teams with orange and black and pretend it's important and the Bengals won every game they ever played.. Last week I watched a Muppets movie during the game and don't feel like I missed out on a hell of a lot.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:31 PM)bengals67 Wrote: My family were original season ticket holders until we moved from Cincinnati

If we had not moved, I am sure we would have kept our tickets.

I would not renew my season tickets next year if Marv returns or if they do not hire a great new coach with authority to hire his own staff.

I truly do not understand why season ticket holders would continue to support this organization absent serious and significant changes- which I am almost 90% sure will not happen.

I truly expect Marv to be extended with the Hobspin article on player support laying the groundwork.

I think a number of little events happen each offseason that slowly start regenerating Fan interest.

The Draft occurs and we appear to be filling holes on the roster with fans getting interested in the new players. (John Ross/Mixon last draft)

Then hope builds for players to "develop" or injured players from the last season to be healthy. (Cedric/Fisher & William Jackson/Eifert last preseason)

(add a Kevin Minter free agent in 2017)

On paper things start to look better by August, with what appears to be a new plan or at least some new puzzle pieces filling holes.

Fans buy in again

Expect the same in 2018. Once the Draft occurs and holes appear to fill with some new faces.

The offseason recharges fans that were fed up just a few months earlier...
Reply/Quote
The magic i used to experience when getting nervous for games has went away...

I won't buy Bengal gear if Marv is back...

I was going to buy some tickets to a future game in Denver or Las Vegas before...

I mean i will always be a Bengal fan and will come on here to talk to the guys but things have changed
and keep changing for the worse and this will just continue if Marv is back. Gave up about 4 years ago in
us ever winning a playoff game under him.

Then on the other hand if we hire a new HC and new OLC i will be right back on board and might have
hope once again. These two just threw consecutive seasons in a row down the toilet with their ineptitude.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin is not replaced then I don't see myself coming back as a fan to watch games next year . I will still be a fan but wont follow or watch if we don't replace him. Not happy how he has grudges against players like Marvin Jones and Ross. Cant stand how he can not get us a playoff win or have the team play aggressive he is a defensive minded coach and has taken the team as far as he can. 15 years is too long to invest in one guy I don't care if he brought us out of the 90s to respectable. I am greatful but 15 years is as long as it goes its time to move on from him and time for him to move on from us its beyond stale. This is a fan that lived and rooted thru the decade from 1990 to 2000 anyone that was a fan thru that 10 year span will never be referred to as a fair weather fan in my book. Its time to move on and change.
Reply/Quote
I think the OP is pretty spot on. For "most people" which used to include myself.

But I can state with complete honesty and truth that if Mike Brown gives us another same old same old off season my Bengals interest will reach an all time low !

I won't quit being a Bengal fan, just some time off until Mikey is no longer running the show.
Reply/Quote
Why would anyone invest in a product that has failed for so long yet the owner of the product is delusional enough to say there is nothing defective about the product when all the facts say otherwise?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 09:12 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Why would anyone invest in a product that has failed for so long yet the owner of the product is delusional enough to say there is nothing defective about the product when all the facts say otherwise?

For me it is because it is something I did with my father for many years before his passing. 

So it is a connection with me and my departed Dad.  

Plus a lot of people have very good seats that would lose if staying out one year even. Held hostage sort of. 

Have watched the likes of Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and the list could go on for a long time during my years being season ticket holder. So do have some fond memories.

But may give up two this year per getting much more expensive and just getting older. 

May even give up all 4, but like OP stated something will make me interested again in offseason. 

Being a Bengals fan is not for the weak and if what does not kill us makes us stronger. Then we must be the strongest fan base on the planet.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 09:41 PM)Go Cards Wrote: For me it is because it is something I did with my father for many years before his passing. 

So it is a connection with me and my departed Dad.  

Plus a lot of people have very good seats that would lose if staying out one year even. Held hostage sort of. 

Have watched the likes of Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and the list could go on for a long time during my years being season ticket holder. So do have some fond memories.

But may give up two this year per getting much more expensive and just getting older. 

May even give up all 4, but like OP stated something will make me interested again in offseason. 

Being a Bengals fan is not for the weak and if what does not kill us makes us stronger. Then we must be the strongest fan base on the planet.  

I haven't been a STH as long as you, but I too have a lot of memories and shared a lot of laughs with family and friends over the years.  And even in down years, I still got to see the crème de la crème of the NFL come though PBS.  

I won't let that old fool drive me away and make me give up something I enjoy.  I will outlast him, and one day I'll walk into PBS knowing that Mike Brown is nothing more than a memory, and I'm still there.  And brothers, what a glorious day that will be.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Good post
Reply/Quote
Probably an accurate post from the OP, for the most part.

The only thing missed is that the organization will need more than a few thousand die-hard suckers like those of us on this message board to fill up the empty seats we see now. They will need casual and bandwagon fans, not just people who live and breathe for this team.

If the OP is suggesting that threats to leave the team on this board are likely just overblown venting, then I agree, for the most part. That's just not the issue, IMO. This team does a shit job of connecting with it's fans and cares little for what they think or feel. Sometimes that's not a bad thing, but sometimes it's just shitty business and counterproductive.

I'd also add that this team builds mostly negative energy in it's hardcore fanbase in the offseason. Almost everyone hates Hobson's dumb propaganda. A majority bang their heads against the wall every year when FA rolls around and they sit on the sidelines until the bitter end. None of this builds any excitement. Business as usual will hurt this team this time around, guaranteed.

Also, I really believe that any internal promotion will cause a significant exodus. There's nobody on the current staff that warrants such a move and the promotion of Zampese is fresh in everyone's mind. It will show that they've learned nothing from that lazy hire. That hire just may have cost us this season, in terms of preparedness.
Reply/Quote
Sadly you are so right. When you become a team addict it's kind of like drugs lol it entertains you and you care about it,you've put emotion and money and time into it already,you've invested. I'm in like year 15 as a Bengals fan and I'm wearing thin. I hate the Lewis and Dalton era anymore I think they are one of the same. I think NFL is also fixed for the biggest fan base teams to get the calls . Storylines are like wwe material like Harrison to new England that just happened. Everything is just frustrating to me even talking to a lot of fans I don't see how they think the way they do. I'm just holding out hope that something good happens, maybe get the qb I want.if not I will kind of root for them where ever they go. And that's where I'm at. Some fans would say I'm fake for that. But not being entertained that much and always losing sucks.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: Many keep pointing to this or that as being a thing that may happen that finally causes them to lose interest in the Bengals.

Saying for example:  "If Marvin returns then I am done".

But Mike Brown has an Ace in the hole. In fact, many Aces.

It is called the Offseason and it Refuels fan interest. Making them believe and Hope again for success in the coming NFL season.

The Draft itself is the ultimate Battery Recharger for honked off fans.

This Board heats up before, during and after the Draft with expectations that this player or that player will finally give the Bengals the Edge they need to Win.

Player storylines also feed into the Fan Recharging.

Will John Ross be healthy next year and if so, will we see his Speed transform the offense ?

Do other teams have retirements (say of Big Ben) that opens the Division door for the Bengals ?

Does our schedule seem favorable or did the Bengals Draft a player you really wanted ?

All of these things are examples of the many Aces in the hole that Mike Brown has in his back pocket as an NFL owner.

Marvin may return, or Hue or Jay Gruden or internal promotion of a New Head Coach.

Fans will declare that they are fed up, turn their backs and look the other way if it isn't the Head Coach they wanted.

But the Draft, player storylines and other offseason events will start pulling them back in.

Instead of both eyes looking away from the Bengals, they will start looking back with just one eye. Still trying to protest in a way.

Soon though, they will be totally back on board, making their own Bengal mock Drafts, talking about how good John Ross will be and totally hooked again for another season.

A rare few may really write off the Bengals.

MOST will get re-hooked this offseason no matter what happens.

Mike Brown has the fans at "Hello".

Let's be honest. Most of us will be just a Mock Draft or a John Ross big preseason play away from getting re-hooked before next season begins.

Then Mike Brown again gets to send another Brinks truck full of cash to his local Bank.

We be Fish on the hook once again.    Tongue

I think you're spot on.  Last fall, this board, with very little reason, had the Bengals playoff bound and the Steelers falling apart. Just think about next fall with a whole new coaching staff, a few more high draft choices and Ben retiring. Regardless what people are saying now, come fall, optimism will be through the roof....and rightly so.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: Instead of both eyes looking away from the Bengals, they will start looking back with just one eye.

And as always, the result will mimic Lots wife in Genesis 19:26.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:05 AM)BMK Wrote: I think you're spot on.  Last fall, this board, with very little reason, had the Bengals playoff bound and the Steelers falling apart. Just think about next fall with a whole new coaching staff, a few more high draft choices and Ben retiring. Regardless what people are saying now, come fall, optimism will be through the roof....and rightly so.

Last fall most were saying the o line was the key. If they improved and played well, coupled with a healthy eifert and a defense that looked like it could be lights out, then a winning record and a playoff berth wasn’t out of the question.

As for next year, there is no guarantee that that Ben retires or Marvin is dismissed. Unless the MO of the front office changes this team has many holes to fill.

As to the original post, I think fan interest has undoubtedly declined. That’s typical of teams at the end of a losing season. But this feels a little different. There is a spectrum to fandom, ranging from not interested/don’t follow to diehard. A little after half way through the season my wife gave up watching them every Sunday. I spent more time watching the red zone channel than the bengals game. When fans begin to ween themselves off the team, even just a little, it makes it easier to just find something else to do.

If this same dog and pony show is in place to start next season with only a few draft picks to keep us interested I think even more fans will be ready to throw in the towel sooner if things don’t start well.

I don’t anticipate anything changing in terms of player acquisition, such as free agency.

So yeah, ebenezer has aces up his sleeve, let’s see if he uses them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote