Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
The Drew Crew
So is this related to the Brew Crew, of the Monster RB Kinnebrew?

I have a Frisbee!
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 08:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Meh. His blocking is overrated, imo. At least to my eye test. Anyone with PFF have his blocking grades?

His pass blocking was  a 71.3 for the season, but he started out quite poorly (injured?) but he was in the 70s *green" for every single of the final 10 games of the season.  Very consistent.  And don't forget who he was trying to block in many cases.  PFF has a number of faults, but one of the greatest to me is it does not take in to account the quality of the opponent. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Drew may not be a good player, but I really like that he brings his lunch pail. He has a high motor, is sneaky athletic and very cerebral.

Player comparison: Larry Bird. If Larry played football.

Fail, Larry Bird could put points on the board..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals don't draft a TE on day 2 I think fans will be disappointed because I'm betting Drew Samples snaps are going to increase if they dont add a TE.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:49 AM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals don't draft a TE on day 2 I think fans will be disappointed because I'm betting Drew Samples snaps are going to increase if they dont add a TE.

I really don't want a day 2 TE. I want people that can contribute this year and TE's rarely do anything they're 1st year and I doubt we find one that does on day 2. Plus we don't really even need a TE that much especially if we add a solid 4th WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 10:19 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I really don't want a day 2 TE. I want people that can contribute this year and TE's rarely do anything they're 1st year and I doubt we find one that does on day 2. Plus we don't really even need a TE that much especially if we add a solid 4th WR.

The Bengals run 21 personnel over 70% of the time that means a single TE that can do it all. Blocking is a major part of what he does in the Bengals offense but they also have to be a win solid matchups as a receiver. Right now the Bengals don't have a guy that is a "do it all" all around TE.

Tight End is a major need right now. Probably the biggest glaring weakness on the roster at the moment.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No

I second this^
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 11:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: RULES FOR DREW CREW
1. No microscopic circuitry implanted in any muscle tissue.
2. Don't talk about Drew Crew.
3. No one touches my dog.
4. Vegan dishes are acceptable at official functions as long as there are meat additives and/or dishes available.
5. No latex allergies.  (Sorry if this does not sound fair but it is necessary)
6. No attempts to communicate with my dog.
7. No sexual congress within 24 hours of kickoff.
8. No F#@KING Lizard people!!!!.
9. No extended eye contact with my dog.
10. Drew Crew keeps it real.

11. Members fruit their beer 
12. Members may enjoy the occasional glance at other dudes' crotch regions
13. Members take great pleasure in being assisted by other men during barbell squats 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2014 scrappy white TE Ryan Hewitt, #89 (6'4", 255) played 44% of the offensive snaps mainly as a blocker.  He only had 10 receptions for 86 yards but he was a fan favorite.

Last year scrappy white TE Drew Sample, #89 (6'4", 258) played 42% of the offensive snaps mainly as a blocker.  He only had 11 receptions for 81 yards and is one of the most hated players on the team.

The only difference between these two players is that Hewitt was an undrafted free agent while Sample was a second round pick.  Drew can't help where he was drafted, and he does play an important role in our offense playing close to half of the snaps.

I think it is time to form a "Drew Crew" to get our man a little of the love he deserves for doing the dirty work that never gets any credit.

Who is in?

So we are basing how good a player is on how much he plays? If that were the case, you might want to start a crew for Hakeen Adenji. He played even MORE snaps than Drew Sample (50%). You should really love him. 

Sample is terrible. He brings nothing to the table and it's not hard to find his type of talent on the scrap heap. The fact that he had only 11 catches for 80 yards while playing 40% of snaps should tell you something. He was a waste of a 2nd round pick. 

/thread
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 10:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So we are basing how good a player is on how much he plays? If that were the case, you might want to start a crew for Hakeen Adenji. He played even MORE snaps than Drew Sample (50%). You should really love him. 

Sample is terrible. He brings nothing to the table and it's not hard to find his type of talent on the scrap heap. The fact that he had only 11 catches for 80 yards while playing 40% of snaps should tell you something. He was a waste of a 2nd round pick. 

/thread

1. Not terrible.
2. Absolutely brings something to the table
3. Despite being drafted too-high, absolutely has a role on this team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrueMa00.htm 1st round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellRe00.htm 2nd round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeidSt00.htm 3rd round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoyaRo00.htm 5th round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MangKr00.htm 7th round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SpaeMa00.htm 3rd round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliRh00.htm 4th round

These are all guys who are similar to Sample; they are/were all superb blockers, who added little to nothing in the passing game. As you can see, the majority of them were day 2 picks (like Sample) and yes, I know it was a different era, but the point stands; players like this are wanted and valued.

Like him or not Sample will be on this team for as long as he plays in the league, IMO and I see his trajectory to be like Bruener's (who was drafted in the *1st*, as can be seen above).

Deal with it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 11:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: RULES FOR DREW CREW
1. No microscopic circuitry implanted in any muscle tissue.
2. Don't talk about Drew Crew.
3. No one touches my dog.
4. Vegan dishes are acceptable at official functions as long as there are meat additives and/or dishes available.
5. No latex allergies.  (Sorry if this does not sound fair but it is necessary)
6. No attempts to communicate with my dog.
7. No sexual congress within 24 hours of kickoff.
8. No F#@KING Lizard people!!!!.
9. No extended eye contact with my dog.
10. Drew Crew keeps it real.

I changed my mind. I'm in. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Not terrible.
2. Absolutely brings something to the table
3. Despite being drafted too-high, absolutely has a role on this team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrueMa00.htm 1st round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellRe00.htm 2nd round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeidSt00.htm 3rd round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoyaRo00.htm 5th round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MangKr00.htm 7th round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SpaeMa00.htm 3rd round
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliRh00.htm 4th round

These are all guys who are similar to Sample; they are/were all superb blockers, who added little to nothing in the passing game. As you can see, the majority of them were day 2 picks (like Sample) and yes, I know it was a different era, but the point stands; players like this are wanted and valued.

Like him or not Sample will be on this team for as long as he plays in the league, IMO and I see his trajectory to be like Bruener's (who was drafted in the *1st*, as can be seen above).

Deal with it.

Ryan Hewitt (who the OP compares Sample to) was an undrafted FA signing by the Bengals. I bet I can find 100x more "valuable blocking TEs" that were picked up on the scrap heap than the 5 examples you showed that were picked within the first 7 rounds of the draft.

You can find guys like Sample on the scrap heap. Your point is much like the OP's user name...toast. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ryan Hewitt (who the OP compares Sample to) was an undrafted FA signing by the Bengals. I bet I can find 100x more "valuable blocking TEs" that were picked up on the scrap heap than the 5 examples you showed that were picked within the first 7 rounds of the draft.

You can find guys like Sample on the scrap heap. Your point is much like the OP's user name...toast. 

Offensive Line has the highest percentage of late round and UDFA playing in the NFL. Does that mean you can just find all your Offensive Linemen late round or UDFA?

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:30 AM)Synric Wrote: Offensive Line has the highest percentage of late round and UDFA playing in the NFL. Does that mean you can just find all your Offensive Linemen late round or UDFA?

Sure, why not? 

A lot of teams give up on OL before they give them a chance to mature and develop. That, or there just aren't enough good offensive lineman to go around (which is more likely the case). 

Difference between what you said and Truck said is that OL are most likely being drafted at a MUCH higher clip in the draft than TE and there are A LOT more OL in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:36 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sure, why not? 

A lot of teams give up on OL before they give them a chance to mature and develop. That, or there just aren't enough good offensive lineman to go around (which is more likely the case). 

Difference between what you said and Truck said is that OL are most likely being drafted at a MUCH higher clip in the draft than TE and there are A LOT more OL in the league.

Not really.

There are alot of TE's drafted and they bust at a much high rate than most positions. You're saying it's easy to find a good blocking TE when in reality it's very hard. You can't just "find them on the scrap heap".

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ryan Hewitt (who the OP compares Sample to) was an undrafted FA signing by the Bengals. I bet I can find 100x more "valuable blocking TEs" that were picked up on the scrap heap than the 5 examples you showed that were picked within the first 7 rounds of the draft.

You are completely missing the point. 

If you don't like the fact that Sample was drafted in the second round then trash the Bengal. It is ridiculous to call Sample "trash" because you don't like where he was drafted. 

Sample plays an important role in our offense. If you actually look around the league you will see that many other teams have the same type of "mobile blocker" TE/ FB/ H-back that plays 30%-50% of the offensive snaps and does nothing but block. It is a role we need and Sample does it well. So you can't call him "trash".

Hate the picker not the pick.
Reply/Quote
Wide margin there in draft status with the same production. Nothing against Drew Sample. He sucks. That is what it is. I’m not mad at him for it though like you said someone else chose to draft him 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:32 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I didn't realize that he put up so many yards.  Were they in garbage time?  Hewitt was a fan favorite because he played FB and seemed clutch.  A 6th OL seemed to have been just as, or more effective than Sample.  

This.   Drew has seemed less clutch, and CJ was appeared to get all the FB snaps.

If he gets better at catching the ball and FB activity I think you have a perfectly valid point Fred.

It would also help if drew grew out his hair - at least man bun length.

It would increase his non-exotic profile
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You are completely missing the point. 

If you don't like the fact that Sample was drafted in the second round then trash the Bengal. It is ridiculous to call Sample "trash" because you don't like where he was drafted. 

Sample plays an important role in our offense. If you actually look around the league you will see that many other teams have the same type of "mobile blocker" TE/ FB/ H-back that plays 30%-50% of the offensive snaps and does nothing but block. It is a role we need and Sample does it well. So you can't call him "trash".

Hate the picker not the pick.

I'm not missing the point at all. You started this thread praising Sample based on how many snaps he played - that's it. You gave nothing other than that to why you were a fan of him. I said the same thing about Adenji. 

Sample isn't great - I've seen him trip over his feet too many times to praise him - it has nothing to do with his draft position. You can find guys like him literally scattered across the league riding pine and sitting in the UDFA room. He isn't unique in any way.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Drew may not be a good player, but I really like that he brings his lunch pail. He has a high motor, is sneaky athletic and very cerebral.

Player comparison: Larry Bird. If Larry played football.

Fred already mentioned that he's white.  We just need to add possession receiver.

He's Larry Bird if Drew Sample had talent.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote