Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
The Drew Crew
I don't hate Sample. I understand his role on the team and that's primarily as a blocking TE. Given how bad the o-line was when he was drafted it made sense to try to add another option that can help block. I think a lot of people understand that as well. I do agree that it was a reach to take him in the second. But I don't know enough about the draft to predict how far he would have fallen had the Bengals not taken him so early.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 08:37 AM)SladeX Wrote: So is this related to the Brew Crew, of the Monster RB  Kinnebrew?

Totally OT but I attended UT- Chattanooga at the same time Kinnebrew was at Tennessee State. So I saw him play in college. He just bulldozed those I-AA guys.
Reply/Quote
I'm okay with the concept of the Drew Crew. I'm not convinced Sample blocks as effectively as Ryan Hewitt did though, so the comparison gives me problems.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not missing the point at all. You started this thread praising Sample based on how many snaps he played - that's it. You gave nothing other than that to why you were a fan of him. I said the same thing about Adenji. 

Comparing him to Adenji shows that you don't get it.

Sample did not get to play those snaps because he was third string and the guys in front of him got injured. Drew was actually "first string" at his position as a "mobile blocker".   Just like the "nickel cornerback" is not the same as a back up that will not play unless a starter is injured.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:32 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't hate Sample.  I understand his role on the team and that's primarily as a blocking TE.  Given how bad the o-line was when he was drafted it made sense to try to add another option that can help block.  I think a lot of people understand that as well.  I do agree that it was a reach to take him in the second.  But I don't know enough about the draft to predict how far he would have fallen had the Bengals not taken him so early.

My feelings as well. You can call it a miss by the ZT lead Bengals. I'm willing to give them a pass on that one.
Reply/Quote
I appreciate what he does in the run game. I’ve seen some quality blocking from him and now that we have TWO bonafide OTs, I think they can tinker more with the run game. I think we’ll see more 2nd level blocking outta Sample this coming year, and Joe Mixon is gonna love him.
With that said, the guy seems to have two left feet with the ball in his hands. I think his plodding route running is more due to being used to chip and release while helping a suspect offensive line. And I also think sometimes when he drops the ball is due to just not being used much in the passing game, he’s usually the last option for Joe out there, and we all know how much time Joey B had to find option #4-5 these past two years!

I don’t dislike the guy. I think he’s carved out a nice niche on this team but I do think he was over drafted.
Reply/Quote
I really wish i was good with graphics cause this thread so needs a clip of the sniper from Saving Private Ryan saying "i wouldn't venture out there fellas. This sniper's got talent". Followed by a clip of him in the tower firing off shots with parts of Sample tripping over his feet spliced in each time...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals run 21 personnel over 70% of the time that means a single TE that can do it all. Blocking is a major part of what he does in the Bengals offense but they also have to be a win solid matchups as a receiver. Right now the Bengals don't have a guy that is a "do it all" all around TE.

Tight End is a major need right now. Probably the biggest glaring weakness on the roster at the moment.

Glaring weakness of a position that doesn't really give you that much in my opinion. I would rather draft guys early in positions that have more of an impact. I don't mind drafting a TE I just think it should be later and I prefer a strong blocker over receiver.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 11:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ryan Hewitt (who the OP compares Sample to) was an undrafted FA signing by the Bengals. I bet I can find 100x more "valuable blocking TEs" that were picked up on the scrap heap than the 5 examples you showed that were picked within the first 7 rounds of the draft.

You can find guys like Sample on the scrap heap. Your point is much like the OP's user name...toast. 

I know you can; that has nothing to do with Fred's point (which I'm ignoring; I'm trying to show that the guy DOES have value to the team).

My point is, again, that he does have value and that similar TEs in league history, have carved out valuable careers with similar skillsets. That's it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
As long as he's wearing a Bengals uniform I'll be rooting for him to succeed. He can't help he was over drafted.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:35 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m in. Nothing wrong with a scrappy blocking TE and I’m glad to have him as a #2 TE. But 2nd round is definitely too high if that’s all he’s going to do. But alas he’s already on the team. I personally don’t get the hate on players that come in and play. I can understand Waynes or early season Apple if they’re constantly getting burned but Sample is doing what he’s supposed to do.

I only wonder where all the hidden receiver skills are that a lot of people hyped up after we drafted him.

Same, I'm in. He gets some undeserved hate cause he just hasn't grown at all as a route runner or a pass catcher. He also doesn't
get thrown to much but that is because he cannot get open. But he is a fine blocker and led the way for at least 3 Mixon TD's last
season. Drew also got put into bad situations by the coaches where they had him trying to block a Defenses top pass rusher at 
times, no TE can do this and that was the coaches bad. Taylor or whoever put him in those situations.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:11 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: With that said, the guy seems to have two left feet with the ball in his hands. 

2 left feet and poopy hands

people would like Sample if he was drafted in the 6th round
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 2 left feet and poopy hands

people would like Sample if he was drafted in the 6th round

LMAO! Sad but true. Poopy hands lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The thing about Sample is, I dont see any
Great strides he has made in any area
Of his game , pass recieving or blocking since
Rookie year. When he isnt on the field, you cant tell
Cause he rarely makes any plays that make you
Go WOWZERS!!!!
Even Lil Jamar Chase had more downfield blocks then
Him. I rarely do I see Sample get to the 2nd level and
Clean out a LB. James Casey is a fine TE coach
But its not helping Sample at all
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 03:36 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: As long as he's wearing a Bengals uniform I'll be rooting for him to succeed. He can't help he was over drafted.

He can't help it, but he could sure go ahead and prove whoever it was that made the call to draft him right.

Anybody heard any more about his family in Ukraine?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 04:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: LMAO! Sad but true. Poopy hands lol  Hilarious

I just shipped my pants to The Poo Crew.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fail, Larry Bird could put points on the board..

Yeah I’m out on the Poo Crew - you already have delusional members comparing him to one of the greatest NBA players of all time.

And Fred I’m staring your dog down right now!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fail, Larry Bird could put points on the board..

I meant he was Larry Bird if Bird was an actual TE in the NFL. Right now. At 65 years old.

Not that he's the Larry Bird of football.

(03-23-2022, 12:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Fred already mentioned that he's white.

You're right. Apologies for being redundant.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Calm down this is just a Sample size of the Drew Crew so don't turn it into the Blew Crew.

Don't hate the guy and feel he has a place on this team, but do think he was a reach in the 2nd round.

But that being said I'm not blaming Zac for reaching on one player with all the other bullseyes he has hit for Bengals.

Yet if a TE is selected in draft its ok with me as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote