Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Easiest Prediction Of All Time
Marvin Lewis gets another contract extension after losing probably the most painful game to see as a Bengal fan. So what does Brown do after seeing his coach lose control of his team in the final minute of a playoff game?  E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N

So what are we going to see thats new this upcoming season? Nothing

Bengals have talented roster? Check

Bengals get the fan bases hopes up as the season progresses that this WILL be different? Check

Bengals fight their way through the season and show some serious flashes of brilliance and at other times look like the Bungles? Check

wait for it.... Wait for it..

Bengals find a way into yet another playoff game this upcoming year, the fan based is convincing itself this is a team that can win the Super Bowl never mind just ONE playoff game. The rest of the country and entire media write the Bengals off with another loss and the team that is playing against the Bengals feel like they just earned a bye week. Marvin walks in with his best poker face only to lose yet another playoff game. Check

Fan base revolts, this time they are sick of it for REAL...or for the next few hours/weeks  Check

Lewis gets another one year extension 3 months later  Check

.....and the easiest prediction of all? A homer responding to this post with the classic "Well if your so sure they will lose then why watch them? Go find another team we don't want you here Who Dey"

Ill say check to that a little further down this post!!!

[Image: Carnac-the-software-that-knows-what-you-...end-it.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 11:54 AM)GodFather Wrote:  The rest of the country and entire media write the Bengals off with another loss and the team that is playing against the Bengals feel like they just earned a bye week.

This is where you lost touch with reality.

You are wrong.  We win a playoff game this year.

Don'tknow why people like Godfather think they can see into the future when they have been proven wrong themselves so many times before.  I hav eseen all of the haters around here repeatedly say that we would be worse next season only to be rpoven wrong againg and again.  Then they try to act like they can see into the future.

What a joke.
Reply/Quote
I think they did well in free agency. If they get a contributor or 2 in the draft, I like their chances. I see no reason they can't be the 1 or 2 seed this year. I see no reason for doom & gloom.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Can we eliminate use of the B word_ungles and derivatives ?
Our team is not perfect ,but we have come along ways from the nineties.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 01:01 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Can we eliminate use of the  B word_ungles and derivatives ?

Gonna have to at least win a playoff game first, we are still in a drought that began in the 90's.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 01:34 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Gonna have to at least win a playoff game first, we are still in a drought that began in the 90's.

Yes, and the Bengals still have the NFL's longest playoff win drought. Even the lowly Browns, 49ers, Raiders, Jags and Bills are ahead of the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 01:01 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Can we eliminate use of the  B word_ungles and derivatives ?

Sure when we stop playing like them in PO and PT games. 

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 01:34 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Gonna have to at least win a playoff game first, we are still in a drought that began in the 90's.

(04-10-2016, 02:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yes, and the Bengals still have the NFL's longest playoff win drought. Even the lowly Browns, 49ers, Raiders, Jags and Bills are ahead of the Bengals.

Teams must win to get to the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to believe that MAYBE all these one year extensions are Mike Brown's way of hedging his bet.

If Marvin Lewis fails to make the playoffs, maybe he'd get fired. If he finally wins one, then we have Marv locked up for another year where he'd probably get a lengthier contract. Losing in the playoffs isn't worthy of longer than a one year deal.

Just speculating though, obviously.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I sill think Mike Brown is giving the short extensions because he doesn't ever want to fire Marvin.

Just keep him on short terms and if the day ever comes he wants to part... just let it run out.

At this rate I'm sure he will be deceased and he will never make that decision.

It will be left for Katie and others to decide.

No long term contract... no sidling of long term decisions going forward.

As to the OP.

Gloom and doom? Yep.

Accuracy... probably pretty spot on.

Though every once in a while you'll have sports-writers and announcers jump on the the ol' Super Bowl band wagon.

Most of em' got burned in the past so there will be far few riders on that wagon.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 12:53 PM)jason Wrote: I think they did well in free agency. If they get a contributor or 2 in the draft, I like their chances. I see no reason they can't be the 1 or 2 seed this year.  I see no reason for doom & gloom.

You obviously missed the headline about Marvin Lewis' extension Ninja
Reply/Quote
BTW

Wasn't there a plethora of media that thought Marvin lost control of his team after the loss?

Those weren't bias bitter fans making those remarks.

Do I agree that he deserved to be fired?

Not really.

I'm just pointing out that severe criticism of the coach and management comes from those other than message board posters.

They also praise both as well.

Two sides to that coin.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

As far as I'm concerned, the Bengals won that game against Pittsburgh. The league has admitted the only touchdown Shittsburgh scored was not a touchdown, that the Shazier hit on Benard was illegal, that Porter should have been flagged for coming onto the field and instigating the foul by Jones. The refs didn't even lube when they screwed the Bengals in that game. Yeah, it took Cincy's playoff win away on paper, but it's not like Shittsburgh really beat them....
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 11:54 AM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin Lewis gets another contract extension after losing probably the most painful game to see as a Bengal fan. So what does Brown do after seeing his coach lose control of his team in the final minute of a playoff game?  E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N

So what are we going to see thats new this upcoming season? Nothing

Bengals have talented roster? Check

Bengals get the fan bases hopes up as the season progresses that this WILL be different? Check

Bengals fight their way through the season and show some serious flashes of brilliance and at other times look like the Bungles? Check

wait for it.... Wait for it..

Bengals find a way into yet another playoff game this upcoming year, the fan based is convincing itself this is a team that can win the Super Bowl never mind just ONE playoff game. The rest of the country and entire media write the Bengals off with another loss and the team that is playing against the Bengals feel like they just earned a bye week. Marvin walks in with his best poker face only to lose yet another playoff game. Check

Fan base revolts, this time they are sick of it for REAL...or for the next few hours/weeks  Check

Lewis gets another one year extension 3 months later  Check

.....and the easiest prediction of all? A homer responding to this post with the classic "Well if your so sure they will lose then why watch them? Go find another team we don't want you here Who Dey"

Ill say check to that a little further down this post!!!

[Image: Carnac-the-software-that-knows-what-you-...end-it.jpg]

Marvin did not lose control of game.. officials and players did.... enough said on that one
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 10:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Marvin did not lose control of game.. officials and players did.... enough said on that one

Thats the equivalent of seeing a bratty kid acting out of control in public as the parent sit nearby completely oblivious to the child as he carries on with a temper tantrum and not blaming the parents at all for their child's behavior.

Marvin lost total control of his team at the end, I don't think you'd ever see a Billy B. Patriots implode like that at the end of the game with him sitting there clueless.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 10:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: Thats the equivalent of seeing a bratty kid acting out of control in public as the parent sit nearby completely oblivious to the child as he carries on with a temper tantrum and not blaming the parents at all for their child's behavior.

Marvin lost total control of his team at the end, I don't think you'd ever see a Billy B. Patriots implode like that at the end of the game with him sitting there clueless.

Before I go on a general tirade I must make it known that I tend to fall into line on most of these things, so keep that in mind.

The Bengals organization just smacks of a lack of accountability from top to bottom.  Mike Brown is accountable to no one and nothing.  He's been a failure of a GM for 25 years, and I don't think he's "gotten better" because he was pulling for Ryan Mallett when Gruden managed to talk him into Dalton.  Basically, I don't see a man who gives himself a lifetime title and then let's other people do his job as particularly admirable.  But hey, the results are better so we will "take it" which sums up the franchise perfectly.

Marvin Lewis seems to be, in my mind, being rewarded ceaselessly for doing well enough for the Bengals/Browns/Raiders/Bills etc, but not well enough for any of the franchises that we are matching in talent and win totals, but we will "take it."

Our players either under-perform, our outright sabotage our chances in the playoffs, but at least we are there, so we will "take it."
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote:  I don't think he's "gotten better" because he was pulling for Ryan Mallett when Gruden managed to talk him into Dalton. 

You need to keep better track of the anti-Mike rumors.  It has now been changed from Mallet to Keapernick.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You need to keep better track of the anti-Mike rumors.  It has now been changed from Mallet to Keapernick.

I recall hearing he wanted Mallett/Gabbert/Kapernick when the whole shebang was yet to take place.  
Reply/Quote
People thought teams like the Denver Broncos and Golden State Warriors were crazy for firing their former head coaches when they kept advancing in the postseason but not winning it all. Broncos fired John Fox and got Gary Kubiak. Golden State fired Mark Jackson and hired Steve Kerr. Both teams have since won it all after these head coaching changes the very next year.

I get the "we don't want the 90's" statement, but it's sad that there is that much worry that it would happen again over 15 years later. Fans and the FO need to have faith that the Bengals will not immediately fall back to that state if Marvin is gone. Instead, it might be worthwhile for the Bengals to look at the success teams like the Warriors and Broncos have had by removing a good but stagnant head coach and taking the risk to replace with a potentially greater coach.

I like Marvin Lewis, but at this point, I don't believe he will ever prepare this team for a Super Bowl run. He's a coach and he should still be expected to teach his players how to better prepare. Just because they are "professional" doesn't mean that they still don't need coaching...especially on the mental side.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Before I go on a general tirade I must make it known that I tend to fall into line on most of these things, so keep that in mind.

The Bengals organization just smacks of a lack of accountability from top to bottom.  Mike Brown is accountable to no one and nothing.  He's been a failure of a GM for 25 years, and I don't think he's "gotten better" because he was pulling for Ryan Mallett when Gruden managed to talk him into Dalton.  Basically, I don't see a man who gives himself a lifetime title and then let's other people do his job as particularly admirable.  But hey, the results are better so we will "take it" which sums up the franchise perfectly.

Marvin Lewis seems to be, in my mind, being rewarded ceaselessly for doing well enough for the Bengals/Browns/Raiders/Bills etc, but not well enough for any of the franchises that we are matching in talent and win totals, but we will "take it."

Our players either under-perform, our outright sabotage our chances in the playoffs, but at least we are there, so we will "take it in the ass."

Fixed it for ya! 
Reply/Quote