Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Easiest Prediction Of All Time
(04-10-2016, 11:54 AM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin Lewis gets another contract extension after losing probably the most painful game to see as a Bengal fan. So what does Brown do after seeing his coach lose control of his team in the final minute of a playoff game?  E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N

So what are we going to see thats new this upcoming season? Nothing

Bengals have talented roster? Check

Bengals get the fan bases hopes up as the season progresses that this WILL be different? Check

Bengals fight their way through the season and show some serious flashes of brilliance and at other times look like the Bungles? Check

wait for it.... Wait for it..

Bengals find a way into yet another playoff game this upcoming year, the fan based is convincing itself this is a team that can win the Super Bowl never mind just ONE playoff game. The rest of the country and entire media write the Bengals off with another loss and the team that is playing against the Bengals feel like they just earned a bye week. Marvin walks in with his best poker face only to lose yet another playoff game. Check

Fan base revolts, this time they are sick of it for REAL...or for the next few hours/weeks  Check

Lewis gets another one year extension 3 months later  Check

.....and the easiest prediction of all? A homer responding to this post with the classic "Well if your so sure they will lose then why watch them? Go find another team we don't want you here Who Dey"

Ill say check to that a little further down this post!!!

[Image: Carnac-the-software-that-knows-what-you-...end-it.jpg]

better to have the coach under contract for one more year which can be terminated any time than to have him be a lame duck coach or do the unthinkable and win it all...

then be a free agent HC demanding a large raise.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 12:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: better to have the coach under contract for one more year which can be terminated any time than to have him be a lame duck coach or do the unthinkable and win it all...

then be a free agent HC demanding a large raise.

unthinkable being the keyword when it comes to Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 11:54 AM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin Lewis gets another contract extension after losing probably the most painful game to see as a Bengal fan. So what does Brown do after seeing his coach lose control of his team in the final minute of a playoff game?  E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N

So what are we going to see thats new this upcoming season? Nothing

Bengals have talented roster? Check

Bengals get the fan bases hopes up as the season progresses that this WILL be different? Check

Bengals fight their way through the season and show some serious flashes of brilliance and at other times look like the Bungles? Check

wait for it.... Wait for it..

Bengals find a way into yet another playoff game this upcoming year, the fan based is convincing itself this is a team that can win the Super Bowl never mind just ONE playoff game. The rest of the country and entire media write the Bengals off with another loss and the team that is playing against the Bengals feel like they just earned a bye week. Marvin walks in with his best poker face only to lose yet another playoff game. Check

Fan base revolts, this time they are sick of it for REAL...or for the next few hours/weeks  Check

Lewis gets another one year extension 3 months later  Check

.....and the easiest prediction of all? A homer responding to this post with the classic "Well if your so sure they will lose then why watch them? Go find another team we don't want you here Who Dey"

Ill say check to that a little further down this post!!!

[Image: Carnac-the-software-that-knows-what-you-...end-it.jpg]

News of this RIDICULOUS extension is why I have taken a break from the board.  I was just too damn mad to get in a ruckus over here. Rant

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 06:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm starting to believe that MAYBE all these one year extensions are Mike Brown's way of hedging his bet.

If Marvin Lewis fails to make the playoffs, maybe he'd get fired. If he finally wins one, then we have Marv locked up for another year where he'd probably get a lengthier contract. Losing in the playoffs isn't worthy of longer than a one year deal.

Just speculating though, obviously.

I would agree with you, but don't think there is any way Mike Brown pays someone the last year of their contract and doesn't make them work to the conclusion.  If Marvin were in the final year of his contract, I could see him getting fired, but not with a year left on the table.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 01:55 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would agree with you, but don't think there is any way Mike Brown pays someone the last year of their contract and doesn't make them work to the conclusion.  If Marvin were in the final year of his contract, I could see him getting fired, but not with a year left on the table.

I agree with Brown not firing Lewis with a year on the table. To take it further look what it took him to fire Dave Shula! Brown is very "comfortable" with the Bengals current status. If he wasn't Marvin would have been gone a long time ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 02:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: I agree with Brown not firing Lewis with a year on the table. To take it further look what it took him to fire Dave Shula! Brown is very "comfortable" with the Bengals current status. If he wasn't Marvin would have been gone a long time ago.

I think the fact that Mike Brown hired a guy who has been shilling steaks for decades immediately following his job as the HC here just speaks volumes.  I don't know what else to say...you simply can't exaggerate how terrible that makes this franchise look.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 06:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm starting to believe that MAYBE all these one year extensions are Mike Brown's way of hedging his bet.

If Marvin Lewis fails to make the playoffs, maybe he'd get fired. If he finally wins one, then we have Marv locked up for another year where he'd probably get a lengthier contract. Losing in the playoffs isn't worthy of longer than a one year deal.

Just speculating though, obviously.

That makes the logical sense and why i believe they have been doing the 1 year extenstions each year. Its not like MB just handed ML tenure. and he will be here for life. Hes covering both ends. First its 1 more year and the Browns can eat that part of the contract if they want to fire Lewis. Second it has him under contract in case the team finally hits its stride and wins some playoff games so he cant just get away or raise his asking price dramitically.

its a smart move by the Front office. some fans dont look at things logically though.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 02:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: That makes the logical sense and why i believe they have been doing the 1 year extenstions each year.  Its not like MB just handed ML tenure.  and he will be here for life.   Hes covering both ends.   First its 1 more year and the Browns can eat that part of the contract if they want to fire Lewis.     Second it has him under contract in case the team finally hits its stride and wins some playoff games so he cant just get away or raise his asking price dramitically.

its a smart move by the Front office.   some fans dont look at things logically though.

But at what point do these 1 year extensions stop? If it goes on for 10 years, it kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?  He's gotta cut the cord at some point, which should've been awhile ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 02:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: That makes the logical sense and why i believe they have been doing the 1 year extenstions each year.  Its not like MB just handed ML tenure.  and he will be here for life.   Hes covering both ends.   First its 1 more year and the Browns can eat that part of the contract if they want to fire Lewis.     Second it has him under contract in case the team finally hits its stride and wins some playoff games so he cant just get away or raise his asking price dramitically.

its a smart move by the Front office.   some fans dont look at things logically though.

Your logic does not make sense though.  Let's say Marvin signed the one year extension because the team does not want him to be a lame duck coach and goes on to win the Super Bowl this year.  They are going to be negotiating a new contract before the new season starts, otherwise he is a lame duck.  Whether he wins the Super Bowl with one year left on his contract, or in the final year of it, he is going to demand a big pay raise.  Many times he would negotiate a new deal even if he had 2-3 years left on a deal and won the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 06:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: As far as I'm concerned, the Bengals won that game against Pittsburgh. The league has admitted the only touchdown Shittsburgh scored was not a touchdown, that the Shazier hit on Benard was illegal, that Porter should have been flagged for coming onto the field and instigating the foul by Jones. The refs didn't even lube when they screwed the Bengals in that game. Yeah, it took Cincy's playoff win away on paper, but it's not like Shittsburgh really beat them....

For sure, the Bengals might of beat themselves but Shitsburgh didn't beat them IMHO.

To the OP, doom and gloom... check.

Could be right, who knows. All i know is i didn't like the extension last year at all and i don't like this one either.

But i think we have had the best possible FA for us possible and if we draft well i see us getting over the hump myself.

I have to think positive, it is the only way i can live. Even if it is in denial, it is better than jumping off a bridge.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 01:55 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would agree with you, but don't think there is any way Mike Brown pays someone the last year of their contract and doesn't make them work to the conclusion.  If Marvin were in the final year of his contract, I could see him getting fired, but not with a year left on the table.

Fair enough. That did cross my mind. LeBeau was at the end of his deal and Coslet had to quit. They did fire Shula mid-season, but his 2 year extension (that he received after going 3-13 in 1994) was up at the end of the season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. That did cross my mind. LeBeau was at the end of his deal and Coslet had to quit. They did fire Shula mid-season, but his 2 year extension (that he received after going 3-13 in 1994) was up at the end of the season.

Think about that... how in the hell do you get a two year extension after going 3-13?  There is ludicrous, and then there is that...
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:36 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Think about that... how in the hell do you get a two year extension after going 3-13?  There is ludicrous, and then there is that...

It's not just that he got an extension after 3-13. It's that he got hired in the first place. Outside of his last name, he had nothing to show that he earned a HC job. He was OC for the Cowboys for Jerry Jones first two seasons, where they went 8-24.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 03:14 PM)GodFather Wrote: But at what point do these 1 year extensions stop? If it goes on for 10 years, it kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?  He's gotta cut the cord at some point, which should've been awhile ago.

Exactly......he should've been canned after that debacle in '10.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:45 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's not just that he got an extension after 3-13. It's that he got hired in the first place. Outside of his last name, he had nothing to show that he earned a HC job. He was OC for the Cowboys for Jerry Jones first two seasons, where they went 8-24.

Shula did very little before being anointed our HC and did absolutely NOTHING afterwards.  Choosing Dave Shula is the sort of executive decision that can bankrupt a less secure business, or the type that should at least cause the decision-maker to lose rank and/or surrender some of his steel grip upon the decision-making process.

I can't honestly think of a real-world example of this. Maybe if a huge business like Pepsi appointed some guy who had a BA in basket weaving as the CEO and he stunk at it, but after he was finally fired he proved his doubters completely right by never again holding a job even remotely related to what he was given. Seriously, how many head coaches in the NFL get one shot and then once they fail as a HC just leave the industry entirely? Even shoddy HC's like LeBeau, Coslet, Todd Haley, Dennis Allen, Rod Rust, Josh McDaniels (just to name some off the top of my head) were successful coordinators before and after stinking out loud as HCs.

But hey, about 20 years after this monumental blunder ol' Mikey learned to maybe loosen his grip a bit.  For this, I applaud him.
Reply/Quote
Let's make a new thread every day about the dislike of Marvin Lewis even though the team has had a winning record 5 years straight. Heck, even if we win the super bowl 5 years straight let's STILL have a new thread daily about how terrible Marvin is.
Jeeez kids..ML is the head coach like it or not.
I don't like red beets.. I never have and not going to start. I know..I should start a new thread every day about my dislike of red beets.
Oh well..at least ML gives you something to gripe about daily and twice on Sundays..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Let's make a new thread every day about the dislike of Marvin Lewis even though the team has had a winning record 5 years straight.  Heck, even if we win the super bowl 5 years straight let's STILL have a new thread daily about how terrible Marvin is.
I don't like red beets.. I never have and not going to start. I know..I should start a new thread every day about my dislike of red beets.
Oh well..at least ML gives you something to gripe about daily and twice on Sundays..

I am pretty damn sure if we just won that Playoff game this year against the Steelers this thread would not be here.

If we won the SB it definately would not. I am sure even the worst Marv critic would be for an extension for ML.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Let's make a new thread every day about the dislike of Marvin Lewis even though the team has had a winning record 5 years straight.  Heck, even if we win the super bowl 5 years straight let's STILL have a new thread daily about how terrible Marvin is.

Your argument would merit if you were forced to eat those beets every day, year after year...
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 08:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am pretty damn sure if we just won that Playoff game this year against the Steelers this thread would not be here.

If we won the SB it definately would not. I am sure even the worst Marv critic would be for an extension for ML.

^ This
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Let's make a new thread every day about the dislike of Marvin Lewis even though the team has had a winning record 5 years straight. Heck, even if we win the super bowl 5 years straight let's STILL have a new thread daily about how terrible Marvin is.

If we win a Superbowl I'll stop complaining about Marvin. At this point, if we win a playoff game I'll stop calling him a horrible coach.
Reply/Quote