Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fitness Thread
(07-12-2015, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stomach and lower back are very important.  I suggest you work it in with your shoulders since that is probably your easiest day.  Actually you should work them in twice a week.

Exactly. Core is key. Although I'm sure he's doing some type of lift that helps strength the core: deadlifts, squats, bench press, stuff like that. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I always like weight lifting but got bored quickly with aerobic workouts. Then I discovered that if you lift with a lot of reps and very little rest between sets that is actually a very good form of aerobic workout. Between each set I would walk across the gym to the water fountain and back so that I was constantly moving. kept my heart rate up for the entire workout. Plus it got me in and out of the gym faster than when I sat around for a couple of minutes between each set.

[Image: 61332400.jpg]
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 05:39 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Exactly. Core is key. Although I'm sure he's doing some type of lift that helps strength the core: deadlifts, squats, bench press, stuff like that. 

True.  Although I think ab work is overrated for non-competitive athletes.  The abs should really get enough work in exercises like mentioned above.  Just doing a bunch of crunches doesn't really do anything but burn fat (like all exercises do) - and let's just mention that ab work doesn't target belly fat, either.  If you want to add definition/cuts to your abs, you have to build the muscles just like any other muscle.  The problem arises that if you aren't lean, this will actually make you look fatter....and talking core ab strength means building the muscle (and 100 crunches isn't doing anything just like doing 100 curls wouldn't build your biceps).

You want to maintain balance to avoid injuries, not just lifting but even if you golf or play tennis.  If for some reason a person is doing only machines/isolation exercises, then they should add some ab work.  But most people probably would never gain enough strength/muscle for an imbalance from under-working abs to be an issue (unless they're over 60).  If you're not doing some compound lifting, abs are probably the least of your worries with regard to imbalances.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 05:39 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Exactly. Core is key. Although I'm sure he's doing some type of lift that helps strength the core: deadlifts, squats, bench press, stuff like that. 

I do all of these. 

Did legs for the first time in 5 years the other day. Did a light lift. 3 sets of squats, weighted lundges, and calf raises. Been sore for the past 4 days lol. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
So figured I would put this here, since it's full of healthy people.

Was in the pool all day yesterday and spent a half hour launching kids. On the third launch of one who was a bit bigger than I should have been throwing, I got a sharp pain in my bicep. I can move the arm, but there's a little pain and limited movement. The part that kind of worries me, my bicep is sort of hanging to the side and I can't flex it. There's no swelling or discoloration, but I did stay in the pool for a couple hours after it happened. Got a doctor appointment, thinking it's just strained, but does it sound torn to anyone? Never had a muscle tear, so the non-flexing part is kind of worrying me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 06:00 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I could never do a pullup. I couldn't even hang with my chin above the bar in high school. A year and a half ago after working out a lot a tried a set and did my first 6. Granted, they were neutral gripped and probably poor form. Now I've been starting off back day by doing 2 sets of 10 with a regular grip and doing wash one from a dad hang. Screw you middle school gym class fitness test.

that was me in high school/middle school man lol... Okay hang with chin above the bar. and it was instantly to the floor haha..

thats why it was my first major workout goal. And i was getting up to 10 or more before i hurt my sholder now that im down near 210 its going alot better but recent injuries have me avoiding pushing to hard to know where i really am.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 11:59 AM)Benton Wrote: So figured I would put this here, since it's full of healthy people.

You read through this entire thread and still believe any of us here now what we are talking about? LOL
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:21 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You read through this entire thread and still believe any of us here now what we are talking about? LOL

I read the thread and thought everyone sounded like people who've probably severely injured themselves at some point.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 11:59 AM)Benton Wrote: So figured I would put this here, since it's full of healthy people.

Was in the pool all day yesterday and spent a half hour launching kids. On the third launch of one who was a bit bigger than I should have been throwing, I got a sharp pain in my bicep. I can move the arm, but there's a little pain and limited movement. The part that kind of worries me, my bicep is sort of hanging to the side and I can't flex it. There's no swelling or discoloration, but I did stay in the pool for a couple hours after it happened. Got a doctor appointment, thinking it's just strained, but does it sound torn to anyone? Never had a muscle tear, so the non-flexing part is kind of worrying me.

Sounds like a ruptured bicep tendon.  That happened to me.  
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sounds like a ruptured bicep tendon.  That happened to me.  

... and?

Just rest it? Or did they amputate or anything?

(really hoping the answer is 'rest')
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:21 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You read through this entire thread and still believe any of us here now what we are talking about? LOL

chocolate milk is the key to a healthy diet
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 03:15 PM)Benton Wrote: ... and?

Just rest it? Or did they amputate or anything?

(really hoping the answer is 'rest')

Mine was completely torn loose.  My bicep was just balled up at the top of my arm.  It had to be surgically repaired.

However I was surprised to find out that even with a detached bicep I could still bend my arm.  It just didn't have any strength.  I also learned that the bicep is what you use to rotate your hand and forearm like when you use a screwdriver. Again, I could do it, but just didn't have any strength.

Yours may not be completely torn loose, and if it is your left arm you may not even have to get it fixed.  But if it completely torn loose and it is your right arm you will probably need surgery.

BTW I did it doing curls.  I was always told to not let the weight hyper-extend my elbow when doing curls, but I always liked to get a good stretch to my muscles when lifting.  It didn't snap until I was in my 30's but as soon as the doctor saw it he asked "Did this happen while you were doing curls?" (I still looked like a weightlifter back then)

It didn't hurt when I did it because there are no nerves in the tendon, but there was some bleeding under the skin that made it look bruised.  So if there is no discoloration in your arm that is a good sign. 
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mine was completely torn loose.  My bicep was just balled up at the top of my arm.  It had to be surgically repaired.

However I was surprised to find out that even with a detached bicep I could still bend my arm.  It just didn't have any strength.  I also learned that the bicep is what you use to rotate your hand and forearm like when you use a screwdriver. Again, I could do it, but just didn't have any strength.

Yours may not be completely torn loose, and if it is your left arm you may not even have to get it fixed.  But if it completely torn loose and it is your right arm you will probably need surgery.

BTW I did it doing curls.  I was always told to not let the weight hyper-extend my elbow when doing curls, but I always liked to get a good stretch to my muscles when lifting.  It didn't snap until I was in my 30's but as soon as the doctor saw it he asked "Did this happen while you were doing curls?" (I still looked like a weightlifter back then)

It didn't hurt when I did it because there are no nerves in the tendon, but there was some bleeding under the skin that made it look bruised.  So if there is no discoloration in your arm that is a good sign. 

What's the difference in left/right?

It is the right. I'm thinking it's just minor, but it's weird since the muscle is basically not responding. But, like you said, I can still move my arm.
Reply/Quote

I agree with fred it sounds like you have a ruptured bicep.  You can rupture it at the shoulder and it looks like...

[Image: popeye.jpg]

...the head of the bicep is closer to the elbow.

You can rupture it at the elbow and it looks like...

[Image: A00376F03.jpg]

...the head of the bicep is closer to the shoulder.

[Image: 12974256(300x300).jpg]

Tuck your elbow into you side, bent at 90 degrees, supinate and pronate your forearm (rotate your hand so palm faces up and down), you should be able to observe your bicep contract when your palm faces up and elongate when your palm faces down like the picture, if not you most likely ruptured one of the biceps tendons.

A bicep tendon rupture is treated surgically depending upon many factors and what you and the orthopedist decide.  However, many times surgery isn't performed because function is maintained by the brachioradialis which is why you can still bend your elbow.
Reply/Quote
OMITBJB, thanks. Some good info. Especially the last part.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 05:29 PM)Benton Wrote: What's the difference in left/right?

I was just assuming that you were right handed.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 07:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:  However, many times surgery isn't performed because function is maintained by the brachioradialis which is why you can still bend your elbow.

But you will never have much strength and will probably not even be able to use a screwdriver if it is on your dominate arm.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 05:49 PM)6andcounting Wrote: [Image: 61332400.jpg]

I guess this was meant to be a joke, but it is actually very accurate.  You can really elevate your heart rate by lifting hard and fast
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 03:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess this was meant to be a joke, but it is actually very accurate.  You can really elevate your heart rate by lifting hard and fast

The memes a joke, but I was agreeing with you.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 03:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was just assuming that you were right handed.

Ah, I'm a lefty. So, at least that's one positive.

Went to the doctor, she thinks it's torn. Going for an MRI in the morning. 
Reply/Quote