Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fundamental Question going forward
(04-05-2023, 01:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You really think so?  After letting T. Hill go, all they did was throw a handful of affordable vets at the position, and went on to win the Superbowl.  If anything, the Chiefs should be looked at as the model of "how to keep your team stocked while supporting a mega QB contract".  So far, that model would appear to me to be that your QB gets to keep one super weapon, invest big in OL, keep your defense strong.  

Well the Chiefs recipe is the draft. They had 10 picks in 2022 and 8 were legitimate contributors. The year before they got to Trey Smith G and Creed Humphrey C that have been beyond stellar. They all contribute and no drain on the cap.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 10:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well the Chiefs recipe is the draft. They had 10 picks in 2022 and 8 were legitimate contributors. The year before they got to Trey Smith G and Creed Humphrey C that have been beyond stellar. They all contribute and no drain on the cap.

Once you have a good baseline of talent at certain positions, it makes drafted guys (especially at certain positions) succeed more.

Like if you put those 8 contributors on the Texans, maybe 2 contribute.

But, get a good line and qb...and wr and rbs look better.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 12:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Once you have a good baseline of talent at certain positions, it makes drafted guys (especially at certain positions) succeed more.

Well it’s definitely not one ingredient. In my response to Sunset Bengal he mentioned only how they replaced Tyreek Hill and the vets they signed. I brought up their 2 recent drafts. Nailing 2021 with a center Humphrey grading at 1&2 last year with centers and Smith that also was high. Creed as a damn rookie was #1. Think if Volson had been top 5? Then last year 8 freaking draftees legitimately contributed. You are going to have to draft well to I don’t care how many low priced vets you add if you are going to have Burrow,Chase, and Higgins on the payroll
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 12:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Once you have a good baseline of talent at certain positions, it makes drafted guys (especially at certain positions) succeed more.

You still need playmakers at WR and RB though.
If oline and QB was the end all be all then the 
Cleveland Browns would be in the playoffs 
Every year. If all you needed was a good oline 
And QB then just draft your skill position players 
In RDs 5 to 7 then. 
Some tend to forget , if you have really talented 
WRs that can get schemed open fast and can 
Separate that in itself helps out the oline as the oline
Doesn't have to pass Block that extra second 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:43 AM)impactplaya Wrote: You still need playmakers at WR and RB though.
If oline and QB was the end all be all then the 
Cleveland Browns would be in the playoffs 
Every year. If all you needed was a good oline 
And QB then just draft your skill position players 
In RDs 5 to 7 then. 
Some tend to forget , if you have really talented 
WRs that can get schemed open fast and can 
Separate that in itself helps out the oline as the oline
Doesn't have to pass Block that extra second 

Guys you draft at RB succeed more with a good line. I'd rather have a good like and a 7th Round RB, than a 1st Round RB and an average line.

A guy like Pacheco was drafted late. For most teams, he probably doesn't play. Here, he likely wouldn't play. There, he turns into a star. The Chiefs play like 4-5 RB's. Here we play 2.

There's still skill to drafting. Like probably 60% of the players in the draft will amount to nothing. 10% solid Pros.

But, if you have a good system in place, guys succeed more.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:59 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Guys you draft at RB succeed more with a good line. I'd rather have a good like and a 7th Round RB, than a 1st Round RB and an average line.

A guy like Pacheco was drafted late. For most teams, he probably doesn't play. Here, he likely wouldn't play. There, he turns into a star. The Chiefs play like 4-5 RB's. Here we play 2.

There's still skill to drafting. Like probably 60% of the players in the draft will amount to nothing. 10% solid Pros.

But, if you have a good system in place, guys succeed more.

Yes I agree with about RB. But as far WR goes
I think you need a FRANCHISE WR to go with the FRANCHISE QB. I believe now in the ranking of importance to the success of a offense 
WR is right there with QB. The Bengals are lucky 
To have the 2 WRs they have in Chase and Higgins
Very few teams can claim they have that on their 
Offense 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 11:58 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Yes I agree with about RB. But as far WR goes
I think you need a FRANCHISE WR to go with the FRANCHISE QB. I believe now in the ranking of importance to the success of a offense 
WR is right there with QB. The Bengals are lucky 
To have the 2 WRs they have in Chase and Higgins
Very few teams can claim they have that on their 
Offense 

The Saints used to have a bunch of random wrs with Brees.

We all know that SB winning teams rarely invest in rb salary.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 01:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Saints used to have a bunch of random wrs with Brees.

We all know that SB winning teams rarely invest in rb salary.

Once you get the right guy under center. It's a really simply recipe for success in the NFL.

Build a line that both protects your elite guy and opens holes so you can run. (Don't need a 1st round talent RB if you have a good OL to make holes)

Have a defensive playmaker or two that can make a stop when it is absolutely needed.

After that, it can be re-treads and rookies and all kinds of guys catching the passes and running the ball. Investing heavily in the skill positions isn't a plan for long-term success in the NFL.

I posted this pre-drafting Chase, but in the history of the modern draft, not one WR taken top 5 won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him. 

I get people get attached to players, but I'd rather have a Championship then pro-bowl WRs.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Once you get the right guy under center. It's a really simply recipe for success in the NFL.

Build a line that both protects your elite guy and opens holes so you can run. (Don't need a 1st round talent RB if you have a good OL to make holes)

Have a defensive playmaker or two that can make a stop when it is absolutely needed.

After that, it can be re-treads and rookies and all kinds of guys catching the passes and running the ball. Investing heavily in the skill positions isn't a plan for long-term success in the NFL.

I posted this pre-drafting Chase, but in the history of the modern draft, not one WR taken top 5 won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him. 

I get people get attached to players, but I'd rather have a Championship then pro-bowl WRs.

I think everyone can agree on that Murdock. Just sounds like we are going to keep both Tee and Chase. I think Chase will be the first
WR to break that historic fact though BTW. If it was me I would extend Burrow and Wilson this year and let both Boyd and Tee go next
year while drafting their replacements. DJ Reader is also most likely going to leave from what I am hearing, so Mazi Smith should be on
our minds at 28 if he is around. He can do it all same as DJ.

If we can keep the trenches strong around Burrow we will be a tough out every single year. We draft WR's well, not OL.
Reply/Quote