Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Atlanta
(10-01-2018, 08:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That wasn't bogus, Lawson grabbed him up high on the head and shoulders....

What happened on the play was Lawson was reaching out to grab Ryan right below the shoulders, just as Ryan was being dropped by somebody else, which left Lawson grabbing at Ryan's head area.

I have come to the conclusion that officials do a whole lot of guessing and assuming, out of necessity, due to the speed of the game.  The eyes see something and the brain fills in the blanks.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:18 PM)McC Wrote: What happened on the play was Lawson was reaching out to grab Ryan right below the shoulders, just as Ryan was being dropped by somebody else, which left Lawson grabbing at Ryan's head area.

I have come to the conclusion that officials do a whole lot of guessing and assuming, out of necessity, due to the speed of the game.  The eyes see something and the brain fills in the blanks.

Exactly, common sense has to prevail !

Defensive players aren't aiming at the red X on a two foot in diameter oak tree, it's a friggin moving target for crying out loud. But if a QB gets touched by a fingernail in the head/neck are it's an automatic flag.

Unless you've got red hair
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly, common sense has to prevail !

Defensive players aren't aiming at the red X on a two foot in diameter oak tree, it's a friggin moving target for crying out loud. But if a QB gets touched by a fingernail in the head/neck are it's an automatic flag.

Unless you've got red hair

Yep.  He seems to be fair game.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Good:  

Where do I begin?

The offensive line:  They kept Dalton clean and opened some nice holes for Gio and Walton.  If this group keeps improving as they play together longer, the sky is the limit for the offense.

Andy Dalton:  Dude should have been wearing a mask and surgical gown.  Sliced and diced up Atlanta on their home field, in a game they (Atlanta) really had to win.

Tyler Boyd:  The new TJ.  Not faint praise.  Clutch guy, and a gamer.  

AJ Green:  I knew we would get his best in Atlanta.  Only fitting he gets the game winner.

Gio:  Joe who?  I say sarcastically....Gio was a beast out there....Rushing, receiving, blitz pick-up....Awesome job, Gio

The Bad:

Basically the entire defense.  It was like they were playing with blindfolds.  Tentative, no pass rush to speak of, and out of position.  The only good thing I can say is that the Bengals are winning and they look awful....I would think they can only get better.

The Ugly:

Special teams:  Horrible kickoff coverage, and an uncontested punt blocked that could have lost the game.  Puke, double puke.  I mean, you only had one damn punt and you sucked at it.

Dalton was awesome man, clutch and with Boyd and AJ we got some great clutch players.

Ross finally got another TD and came up gimp, sucks. Hope he is alright. Sucks about Eifert, damn.

Saw Billings make one of those run stops that make me salivate. Lawson finally shown some of that great pass rush.

Bates made the play of the day on Mo IMO. If they get that 2 point conversion we might of lost.

Just a great game to watch, wouldn't of been able to watch the 2nd half if not for the Pats slaughtering the Phins.

Thanks Pats. Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:52 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The defense has got to be fixed for success down the road.

The number of times on third and long nobody was covering Julio Jones was disturbing.

Either WJIII has taken 5 steps backwards or Austin's schemes need tweaked.

Marvin is great defensive coach so hopefully he corrects this somehow.

Hard to tell, but I feel it's the scheme.  And it seems that it needs to be more than tweaked.  All day DBs not knowing who should tackle the ball carrier, who is covering and how to work in tandem with other players.  They flat out look like they have no idea what's going on.

Doesn't help that WJIII was crowned the 2nd coming of Deion Sanders before the start of the season.

All the DBs are slow in and out of their cuts and are being smoked.  Dennard and McCrae looked the best of the group.

My gut is that it's a scheme thing that really should have been solved by now.   Hopefully they figure it out, but that was the most disturbing part of the defense.

And, as always, I object to the DBs and LBs giving way too much cushion.   There's no way the opponent isn't going march right down the field.  With teams like Atlanta and New Orleans that will result in a score almost every time.   It just demoralized and fatigues the defense.

Not a fan.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That wasn't bogus, Lawson grabbed him up high on the head and shoulders....

It was still tick tack even with the dress theyve put on qbs at this point.  Ryan was already stumbling as the pocket was collapsing around him and Lawson was still not entirely free of the block he was fighting off of....They sort of just fell into each other that way and Lawson didn't really get to choose which part of Ryans body collided with his.....He didn't deliver a blow, he just finished him off and got him to the ground.  Nothing malicious about it all.  Would have been a great no call.  And no calls like that do happen, just ask Dalton.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Glenn looked awful at times. I wonder how much his knee is effecting his play? He seems like hes a step slow. 

yep his play has dropped off quite a bit in last 2 weeks.  he was on injury report recently so i think he may be carrying something.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 03:22 PM)sonofstat Wrote: yep his play has dropped off quite a bit in last 2 weeks.  he was on injury report recently so i think he may be carrying something.

Yes, Beasley took his lunch.  But he didn't let him have his dinner, as the line gave Andy time when he needed it most.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:26 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I'll play devil's advocate...

My ONLY argument (and it's a weak one) is that Ryan was already being tackled, and Lawson "piled on" with an unnecessary hit as he was going down.

Forget where his hand was going, his whole body hit Ryan up in the head/neck area. Gonna get called every time....
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:43 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Do not agree. 

Although he did hit him as you say it looked to me like he was squaring him up in the chest but somebody hit him first from front and he was starting to fall and changed where the hit was aimed. 

You can not aim for his legs, can not aim for head, and believe he had launched at legal hit until he started to fall. 

But he hit him there and we all know they are calling that, so it is what it is. 

Yep, I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying he hit him with his body in the head and neck area of the QB, and that will get called every time....
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:18 PM)McC Wrote: What happened on the play was Lawson was reaching out to grab Ryan right below the shoulders, just as Ryan was being dropped by somebody else, which left Lawson grabbing at Ryan's head area.

I don't disagree, but he hit him where he hit him regardless, and it's a flag the same as a defender coming in trying to bat a pass down and the QB moves and gets brushed on the head. I don't like it, but that's the way they call them nowadays.
Reply/Quote