Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Grueling Truth
http://thegruelingtruth.net/football/nfl/grading-2016-cincinnati-bengals-position-position/

Quote:Quarterback (B)
Considering that Dalton was always missing some weapons and he very rarely had time to throw the ball he played well. Dalton who up until last year had a tendency to throw a lot of bad passes that were picked off only threw eight this year against 18 touchdowns. Dalton should be the Bengals starter for another decade; now they just need to get some lineman to give him the time to make plays. Backup A.J. McCarron wants to be traded; I say they Bengals see what they can get for him and improve the overall team. McCarron is loved by a portion of Bengals fans who don’t understand what they have with Dalton. McCarron beat two bad teams last year(Ravens and 49ers) and lost to Denver and Pittsburgh. Remember the playoff loss to the Steelers; the Bengals were shut out the first three-quarters.
Running Back (C-)
The loss of Gio Bernard early in the season had to have an adverse effect on the team as Bernard is an explosive player. Jeremy Hill did not fumble this year, which was the big question about him, especially after last years playoff loss to the Steelers. On the Bright side, Rex Burkhead finally got a chance to play and as Burkhead usually does he made the most of it. Hopefully, the Bengals will be able to resign Burkhead, he is a guy that needs to be on this team; he does whatever is asked of him, and he does it well. Another overlooked loss was the loss of Pro Bowl Special teams player Cedric Peerman who was out most of the year and is the fourth running back on this roster; Peerman is an excellent player in his own right.
TE/Wide Receivers ©
A.J. Green was having his best season until a hamstring injury ended his season early. Of course, as always Tyler Eifert could not stay healthy, but the Bengals may have found a diamond in the rough in TE C.J. Uzomah. Rookies Tyler Boyd and Cody Core looked superb in the second half of the season, and Brandon LaFell got better as the season progressed. If they bring this entire group back and they can stay healthy, I think this group could be the better than the group the Bengals had last year.
Offensive Line (D)
The offensive line was the area that cost the Bengals a shot at the playoffs. The Bengals coaching staff’s insistence on continuing to play Cedric Ogbuehi, when he was obviously in over his head is still incredible to me. Center Russell Bodine continues to be a huge disappointment and another player that does not belong as a starting center in the NFL. Guard Clint Boiling is another player that under performed. The Bengals do have two excellent linemen in Tackle Andrew Whitworth and guard Kevin Zeitler, who both played very well this season. Will they sign Whitworth in the offseason? Your guess is as good as mine, but you have to think they would since he is the best they have.
Defensive Line (C+)
Geno Atkins continues to be possibly the best interior defensive lineman in the NFL. Carlos Dunlap had a solid season but was nowhere near as good as he was last year. Michael Johnson once again under performed and Margus Hunt should not even be on the roster. Domato Peko is showing his age but is still good enough to bring back at the right price next year, on the bright side Pat Simms seemed to play much better this year, and defensive tackle and fourth round pick Andrew Billings should be ready to go next year.
Linebacker (D+)
Vontaze Burfict is a beast, unfortunately, Rey Maualuga continues to be out of shape and out of position, he needs to go. Vinny Rey is a solid performer, who in a good linebacking corps would be a very good backup. Karlos Dansby looks like he has lost a step and maybe it is time for him to retire. Rookie Nick Vigil showed that he might be a solid player in the future. This is a position the Bengals need to upgrade.
Defensive Backs (C+) 
I think Dre Kirkpatrick is starting to come into his own; Adam Jones seems to have maybe lost a step, but he is still a quality player, but he always seems to be the center of some controversy and if this recent story is true he needs to be gone asap. The problem this year was at safety were Shawn Williams seemed out of position a lot, especially early in the season. Safety George Iloka played ok but was better next to Reggie Nelson who was the QB of the secondary in previous years. Rookie seventh-round draft pick Clayton Fejedelem looks like he may have been a draft steal.
Special Teams ©
The C comes because of Alex Erickson developing into one of the best return men in the NFL. It is no better than a C merely for the fact that a field goal kicker was allowed to stay here until he had cost the team three games.
Coaching (F)
The F here is mainly directed at Head Coach Marvin Lewis and defensive Coordinator Paul Guenther. Offensive coordinator, Ken Zampese did not do a terrible job, injuries limited what he could do most of the season so that I will reserve judgment until next year. The Bengals were awful in the second half of games, and that usually indicates a coaching problem, the lack of being able to adjust during a game is, to say the least very concerning. Why do the Bengals continue to employ offensive line coach Paul Alexander? He has developed very few quality lineman since he has been here and his continued defense of Bodine and Boiling is hard to believe.

Kind of hard to argue with them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://thegruelingtruth.net/football/nfl/grading-2016-cincinnati-bengals-position-position/

I wish someone would shove that info right up in the nose of that arrogant asshole of a coach we have to live with!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://thegruelingtruth.net/football/nfl/grading-2016-cincinnati-bengals-position-position/

I agree up until the coaching.  I think Zampese is in over his head, but they do make some valid points in his defense.  Otherwise, I'd say spot on.  They also forgot PA insisting on drafting Ogbuehi and sticking him at RT for 9 weeks. :paul:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree up until the coaching.  I think Zampese is in over his head, but they do make some valid points in his defense.  Otherwise, I'd say spot on.  They also forgot PA insisting on drafting Ogbuehi and sticking him at RT for 9 weeks. :paul:
What I wonder is...if he looked that bad in games, didn't he also look bad in practice?  Where did they ever get the idea he could play RT at this level anyway?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I loved how he gave the coaching an F and loved what he said about them for the most part, especially about
Marv and PA. Geunther got his Defense playing good after the bye week though. Zamp's calling was bad and i
would replace him. Haslett was a bad LB'er coach too, cannot ignore their play with better backers and more
experience. The Linebackers should of got much better, not worse.

Like most of what is said here but i don't like the thought of bringing back Peko at all and i must come to the
Defense of Boling who has played well the last couple of years.

Other than that i pretty much agree.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:27 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I wish someone would shove that info right up in the nose of that arrogant asshole of a coach we have to live with!

And Marv Lewis, too! I'm with you!
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:35 PM)Interceptor Wrote: And Marv Lewis, too! I'm with you!

I can't even imagine what it would take for PA to lose his job.  He is Mike's adopted idiot son.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:32 PM)McC Wrote: What I wonder is...if he looked that bad in games, didn't he also look bad in practice?  Where did they ever get the idea he could play RT at this level anyway?

Man, you'd HAVE to think so, wouldn't you?  I've said it for weeks now, whoever made the call to stick with Ogbuehi after week 1 should have been fired in the PBS locker room as soon as they came off the field last Sunday.  That was pathetic, and likely cost us any shot of postseason play.....that and sticking with No Make Nuge.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man, you'd HAVE to think so, wouldn't you?  I've said it for weeks now, whoever made the call to stick with Ogbuehi after week 1 should have been fired in the PBS locker room as soon as they came off the field last Sunday.  That was pathetic, and likely cost us any shot of postseason play.....that and sticking with No Make Nuge.

The two man season wrecking crew.  And I question who thought they should start him the first game.  He didn't make contact with the opponent all day.

Reply/Quote
Couldn't agree more about what you guys are saying about Paul frickin' Alexander.

This is the so called coach that needs to go more than anyone outside of Marv and i would even say more than Marv.

I don't find it to be a coincidence that Boling has played so well next to Whitworth who is actually a coach on the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:40 PM)McC Wrote: The two man season wrecking crew.  And I question who thought they should start him the first game.  He didn't make contact with the opponent all day.

Good point there....Dalton got murdered that game, and still chucked it 366 yards.  Ogbuehi should have never even seen the field if he was this far behind in his development.

(01-05-2017, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Couldn't agree more about what you guys are saying about Paul frickin' Alexander.

This is the so called coach that needs to go more than anyone outside of Marv and i would even say more than Marv.

I don't find it to be a coincidence that Boling has played so well next to Whitworth who is actually a coach on the field.

Yup, and in Marv's defense, every HC since Dave Shula has been saddled with this bum.  Mike Clown is a JOKE.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good point there....Dalton got murdered that game, and still chucked it 366 yards.  Ogbuehi should have never even seen the field if he was this far behind in his development.

Yup, and in Marv's defense, every HC since Dave Shula has been saddled with this bum.  Mike Clown is a JOKE.

All true.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man, you'd HAVE to think so, wouldn't you?  I've said it for weeks now, whoever made the call to stick with Ogbuehi after week 1 should have been fired in the PBS locker room as soon as they came off the field last Sunday.  That was pathetic, and likely cost us any shot of postseason play.....that and sticking with No Make Nuge.

It's Marvin's team. The decision to start him may have been the Sultan of the Short Bus' (Paul Alexander's) idea and that's all fine and good. But at the end of the day, Marvin calls the shots. Marv had every bit of power and authority to tell Paul to shove it up his a$$ and bench Ogbuehi. But no, Marv let this s*** happen far too long.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's Marvin's team. The decision to start him may have been the Sultan of the Short Bus' (Paul Alexander's) idea and that's all fine and good. But at the end of the day, Marvin calls the shots. Marv had every bit of power and authority to tell Paul to shove it up his a$$ and bench Ogbuehi. But no, Marv let this s*** happen far too long.  

And he is here another year, bogosity of a most immense nature...
Reply/Quote

Loyalty/patience cost us a season. If fans were calling for Ogbuehi to be benched after game 1 and calling for Nuge to be cut after his ominous preseason, how did coaches not see it? The answer is probably that they did, but stuck it out with "their guys". 

To OP, whoever this writer is, he's pretty awesome. Spot on with 99% of it. Like Wyche said, I'm not sure about Zampese...but you can at least make some excuses for him (first year, injuries, o-line issues). I'm disgusted that PA has a job right now though. No successful franchise would tolerate the year he just had.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Agree with almost all of it. I still think Guenther is a good DC. He got it together at the end of the season when Burfict got healthy. If there was any kind of 2nd half offense, the defense played well enough to win games.

I think Guenther does just fine for a guy saddled for most of the season with 3 linebackers that are a bad combination of fat, slow, old and underprepared. He also has to pull from a d-line that hasn't drafted a major contributor since the 2010s. He does fine with what he has. I don't want him as a HC, but like him as DC.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 04:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's Marvin's team. The decision to start him may have been the Sultan of the Short Bus' (Paul Alexander's) idea and that's all fine and good. But at the end of the day, Marvin calls the shots. Marv had every bit of power and authority to tell Paul to shove it up his a$$ and bench Ogbuehi. But no, Marv let this s*** happen far too long.  

Very true.....

(01-05-2017, 05:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Loyalty/patience cost us a season. If fans were calling for Ogbuehi to be benched after game 1 and calling for Nuge to be cut after his ominous preseason, how did coaches not see it? The answer is probably that they did, but stuck it out with "their guys". 

To OP, whoever this writer is, he's pretty awesome. Spot on with 99% of it. Like Wyche said, I'm not sure about Zampese...but you can at least make some excuses for him (first year, injuries, o-line issues). I'm disgusted that PA has a job right now though. No successful franchise would tolerate the year he just had.

Yeah, after reading that presser in the Marv subforum, this deal about "their guys" has me even more frustrated than before.  I mean, we all speculated that bullshit on here, but now there's no doubt to it.  That's just plain stupid.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 05:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Very true.....

Yeah, after reading that presser in the Marv subforum, this deal about "their guys" has me even more frustrated than before.  I mean, we all speculated that bullshit on here, but now there's no doubt to it.  That's just plain stupid.

I haven't even read that presser.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
One other thing I don't get is how a team like this one, with a alleged established locker room culture could have two starters come into the year looking like fat ***** slobs. All we hear about when we sign some vet that fans see as over-the-hill is about his contributions to the locker room culture and overall professionalism?

Where the hell was that with Maualuga and Burfict this year? Did Mavin and the training staff not see them all offseason to realize that they were eating themselves into disgusting fat bodies? Burfict had 3 extra games to get himself into shape, to boot. Total failure of accountability IMO. Rey M is way too experienced to think he can be effective at that weight and he's battled this before.
Reply/Quote
DO these idiots that say Boling underperformed not know he played most of the season with a separated shoulder???
Reply/Quote