Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(08-11-2021, 07:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: These people don't exist. Stop it.

Yes, there are people who are probably dying to say I told you so, but not to the point where they're hoping for a miserable season just to rub it in some dude's faces on a friggin message board.

Truth.

I hate the Chase pick. Probably will for a long time but in the end, I just want the team to win. It's been way too many years of failure for me to care more about opinions of random dudes (and ladies if there are still any posting here) on the internet then watching my childhood team and hometown team win a title.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This thread was an abomination to read through. Unfortunately, due to the behavior on this thread, multiple suspensions and warnings had to be handed out. The behavior seen in here will not be tolerated. We have to set the tone going into the season. Attack the point, not the poster.

Also, if you have an issue with posters being "too negative", there is an ignore feature. Attacking people who are negative does nothing but devolve threads into what we've seen here. In addition to the ignore feature, try making positive themed threads and posts. Be the change you want to see.

Also, if someone is resorting to insults, use the report feature. If you stoop to their level, you're just as much at risk of getting suspended/banned. So don't.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-12-2021, 01:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This thread was an abomination to read through. Unfortunately, due to the behavior on this thread, multiple suspensions and warnings had to be handed out. The behavior seen in here will not be tolerated. We have to set the tone going into the season. Attack the point, not the poster.

Also, if you have an issue with posters being "too negative", there is an ignore feature. Attacking people who are negative does nothing but devolve threads into what we've seen here. In addition to the ignore feature, try making positive themed threads and posts. Be the change you want to see.

Also, if someone is resorting to insults, use the report feature. If you stoop to their level, you're just as much at risk of getting suspended/banned. So don't.

This thread from day one felt like some quality bait was being cast to just create a frenzy. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(08-12-2021, 01:39 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This thread from day one felt like some quality bait was being cast to just create a frenzy. 

The article the OP was based on is legit. We just have to handle ourselves better.

Tbh, we've been building towards this for some time now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-12-2021, 01:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The article the OP was based on is legit. We just have to handle ourselves better.

Tbh, we've been building towards this for some time now.

Sad but true. This started back before the draft even. 
Well now.....that escalated quickly....

"Better send those refunds..."

(08-11-2021, 07:35 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I look at the bengals track history of evaluating offensive lineman and I worry when they go against the grain and grab a guy like Carman in the second when he’s got a 4th round grade.  Couple that with out of shape for whatever reason maybe a injury is still reason to stay away the bengals were and are not in a position to grab a guy and develop him over time this oline needs help desperately now... and drafting chase first and then Carman in the second doesn’t help the oline at all right now.  Yes bringing in Reiff was helpful but mainly cuz he replaced a back up tackle who was starting here.  Reiff is on the wrong side of 30 hasn’t played at a high level for a year or so not saying he’s bad cuz sadly he’s the best tackle we have but Riley Reiff isn’t worrying a single defensive end that looks at us on the schedule.  I like the resigning of Spain and I’m hopeful that he’s as good as he says he’s gonna be this year but regardless he still comes from that horrific oline last year.  Everyone of our olineman comes with a big question mark.  I don’t want familiar faces on the oline other than Jonah we need new good veteran blood and this line has question marks up n down the line still after an offseason to make it better for your dead franchise qb.  The bengals have done a horrible job this offseason attacking the offensive line and now u have a 4th rounder challenging Carman for snaps.....at the back up position.  Not starting snaps but back up snaps...yippie.  Now if there was good news coming out of camp about Carman then a 4th rounder pressing him for snaps could be a good thing however Carman has looked terrible which is why the 4th rounder who’s had a few good reps here n there is challenging him.  It’s pretty dubious across the board man.   God bless burrow this year good lord

All I can say is thank God the banhammer got you before we continued this debate (WHOOSH, WHOOSH, WHOOSH). 

Seriously, though, are you intentionally always this negative?  I would suggest you look at Cognitive Behavioral Therapy from a licensed professional if you are like this about everything....I can't imagine it is just the Bengals.   And I don't mean that as a personal attack.  Some people just have had enough things happen in their lives that they need help in overcoming the walls their minds put up as a defense mechanism.

On to your post....

You might find one or two pathetic scout rags that have Carman as a 2nd round pick.   He wasn't, admittedly, high on my radar, but I have liked everything I learned about him and studied after they drafted him.  It sounds funny to say, but he seems to play LT like a guard.  He attacks.  I thought it was a perfect match for Pollack.  Regardless of his current conditioning status, I will reserve judgement until week 1 and beyond.  But he was not a fourth round pick.  You also forget that this team lost it's #1 WR that did get a lot of forced targets last year, and two additional fourth rounders (Smith and Shelvin) by sliding in Rd 2.  

Saying Reiff is on the "wrong side of 30" is chronologically accurate, but not overly valid.  We kept saying "Bobby Hart is only 23....24.....25 " and we never saw him produce at the consistent level of Reiff.  He is a massive improvement, plain and simple.  Instead of giving the Bengals credit for signing him, you attack his age.  There are a lot of teams out there that would probably be very happy with him on their line.  

Spain comes from our "horrific line of last year".  No, not really, he comes from the vastly improved line that finished the season, not the shit show that started it.  

"Everyone on the oline from last year comes with a huge question mark".  Really?  Jonah William's only question mark has been health, and if you hold that against him, you have to destroy a lot of the guys that won a Super Bowl for KC two year's ago, because they were injured last year.  And Hopkins has scratched and clawed his way to being at the very least, a solid center.  So, they have two solid, veteran OTs, a solid veteran C, and a solid veteran OG in Spain.   That leaves one spot where you have a promising rookie, a veteran that showed fairly well last year, and a handful of guys that are all competing for that one spot.  No one is being handed anything due to injury or retirement like last year.  The talent and the depth are vastly improved.  

As far as Carman's conditioning goes, I can't help but wonder if his post-season herniated disc surgery (that he played through the final four games to attempt to win a second championship) didn't affect his ability to condition.  Not to make excuses for the guy, but he gave up 3 sacks in 3 seasons before that back injury starting at LT for Clemson.  I think he still has a lot of promise, but if you are ready to give up on him after one week of padded practice, be my guest.  That is your right, but it sure sounds childish.  
(08-11-2021, 12:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure Chase will be fine, but his use of the statement "Rome wasn't built in a day" is actually more indicative of a draft bust since the point of that statement is that Rome wasn't built in a day, but it burned in one.  You can build something great and amazing slowly over time and you'd be amazed as how quickly things can spiral into ruin.

I don't think he's going to spiral into quick ruin, but that statement was an amusingly odd one to pick if he wants to show that his career of greatness is still on the right path.

I believe a teammate said that to him and he repeated it, but I understand your point.  

Chase is going to be huge for this team in 2021-22.  I can't wait to see this offense week 1.  
(08-12-2021, 10:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I believe a teammate said that to him and he repeated it, but I understand your point.  

Chase is going to be huge for this team in 2021-22.  I can't wait to see this offense week 1.  

Right, I"m not worried about Chase but that saying is one of those things that people get wrong so often that we don't even think of it in the actual terms anymore.  Rome wasn't built in a day, but it burned in one is pretty representative of the Bengals from 2011-2015 when we'd spend months having a successful and encouraging season only to see it turn to a bit of a punchline and farce as soon as wild card weekend started.
In the interest of context for Chase "struggling", SI dropped a TC report yesterday about Sewell struggling in pass pro, particularly inside moves...

"Early on, one area of Sewell's game has been a struggle: pass-protection.

Detroit's defensive linemen and outside linebackers have been able to use crafty inside moves to blow past Sewell.

Austin Bryant, Bruce Hector, Da'Shawn Hand, Romeo Okwara and Jashon Cornell have all battled Sewell, and given him all he can handle the first three weeks of camp.

According to an observation from USA Today's Lions Wire, "Sewell has a tendency to get his weight set to the outside and quicker moves to the inside are beating him. This isn’t the first day Sewell has had this issue, and it’s a reminder that he’s a 20-year-old who hasn’t played football in almost two full years. It shows at times."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/lions/.amp/news/where-penei-sewell-is-struggling-early-in-training-camp

Point being, it's pretty silly to say we would should have drafted someone different based on one week of TC reports, especially when the other main option is having struggles of his own.
(08-12-2021, 10:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I believe a teammate said that to him and he repeated it, but I understand your point.  

(08-12-2021, 10:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, I"m not worried about Chase but that saying is one of those things that people get wrong so often that we don't even think of it in the actual terms anymore.  Rome wasn't built in a day, but it burned in one is pretty representative of the Bengals from 2011-2015 when we'd spend months having a successful and encouraging season only to see it turn to a bit of a punchline and farce as soon as wild card weekend started.

I agree.  I am not worried about Chase.  He had dynamic skills before and it isn't like they went somewhere.  I really like his level of self evaluation he shared yesterday.  Being out of the game for a year, eroded (like that word) his game flow or in his words speed.  Basically what was unconscious before wasn't as automatic.  Some reps and some live action and he'll be right as rain.  

Others have said they're looking forward to seeing ht offense week 1.  I might tap the breaks on that an say the first quarter of the season.  hehe  But eventually things will click and I think it will be glorious.
(08-12-2021, 12:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: In the interest of context for Chase "struggling", SI dropped a TC report yesterday about Sewell struggling in pass pro, particularly inside moves...

Detroit's defensive linemen and outside linebackers have been able to use crafty inside moves to blow past Sewell.

Austin Bryant, Bruce Hector, Da'Shawn Hand, Romeo Okwara and Jashon Cornell have all battled Sewell, and given him all he can handle the first three weeks of camp.

According to an observation from USA Today's Lions Wire, "Sewell has a tendency to get his weight set to the outside and quicker moves to the inside are beating him. This isn’t the first day Sewell has had this issue, and it’s a reminder that he’s a 20-year-old who hasn’t played football in almost two full years. It shows at times."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/lions/.amp/news/where-penei-sewell-is-struggling-early-in-training-camp

Point being, it's pretty silly to say we would should have drafted someone different based on one week of TC reports, especially when the other main option is having struggles of his own.

See, drafting Sewell instead of Chase would be much like executing Joe Burrow publicly..... Ninja

I read somewhere that no Offensive lineman out of college comes into the league ready to play. They all need work.
A big reason linemen tend to need work coming out of college is the tendency of colleges not to run pro style offenses. This even goes down to line technique where they are not being taught pro level technique in college - I wish they were.
(08-12-2021, 12:49 PM)Stewy Wrote: Others have said they're looking forward to seeing ht offense week 1.  I might tap the breaks on that an say the first quarter of the season.  hehe  But eventually things will click and I think it will be glorious.

Yeah, I get that but with no pre-season for Burrow we're going to be going into this season with the excuse that Burrow and Chase and the line need time to gel and work together.  I'm just saying people who expect to "know what we have" in the team or the coaches by the end of the year may not be getting those concrete answers they want.  
(08-12-2021, 12:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: In the interest of context for Chase "struggling", SI dropped a TC report yesterday about Sewell struggling in pass pro, particularly inside moves...

Sounds like Sewell is having more problems than Carman is. Slater I heard is having a good Camp though.
(08-12-2021, 01:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I get that but with no pre-season for Burrow we're going to be going into this season with the excuse that Burrow and Chase and the line need time to gel and work together.  I'm just saying people who expect to "know what we have" in the team or the coaches by the end of the year may not be getting those concrete answers they want.  

I like Murdock's idea of playing the first team with Burrow a couple series in the last preseason game instead of against
Washington and that DL. Get the kinks out there before the opener with the Vikes in the last preseason game for once,
with this change, you need to change with it.
(08-12-2021, 01:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This thread was an abomination to read through. Unfortunately, due to the behavior on this thread, multiple suspensions and warnings had to be handed out. The behavior seen in here will not be tolerated. We have to set the tone going into the season. Attack the point, not the poster.

I agree with using the ignore feature, I just wish more people would use it.  It does me no good to have people on ignore when a bunch of people quote and respond to them.
(08-12-2021, 01:27 PM)Earendil Wrote: I agree with using the ignore feature, I just wish more people would use it.  It does me no good to have people on ignore when a bunch of people quote and respond to them.

Exactly.  I wish people who I have on ignore, would STAY on ignore through quotes.
(08-12-2021, 12:49 PM)Stewy Wrote: I agree.  I am not worried about Chase.  He had dynamic skills before and it isn't like they went somewhere.  I really like his level of self evaluation he shared yesterday.  Being out of the game for a year, eroded (like that word) his game flow or in his words speed.  Basically what was unconscious before wasn't as automatic.  Some reps and some live action and he'll be right as rain.  

Others have said they're looking forward to seeing ht offense week 1.  I might tap the breaks on that an say the first quarter of the season.  hehe  But eventually things will click and I think it will be glorious.

I hear ya, but for the first time in what seems to be ages, it appears the defense is going to be pretty solid and they may be able to play (as Lapham sometimes refers to it) complementary football.  This is where the defense gives the offense an extra possession or two by forcing a turnover or a 3 and out.  

That combination is what gives me so much optimism for the offense.   I think the lineup of Chase, Boyd, and Higgins as the WRs, Uzo as the TE, and Mixon as the single back will be a pretty high-powered machine.  
(08-12-2021, 01:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: A big reason linemen tend to need work coming out of college is the tendency of colleges not to run pro style offenses. This even goes down to line technique where they are not being taught pro level technique in college - I wish they were.

Pretty much sums up why so many quality linemen come from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Stanford.