Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(08-13-2021, 03:50 PM)tms Wrote: If Chase performs anywhere close to the level I expect from him, it's hard to imagine regret. Do we regret taking AJ instead of Jones? Even Justin Smith instead of LT? In hindsight those might not have been the right picks, but regret is not the word I would use for them.

I think the Carman pick needs to be judged on its own merits. I'm the first one to say that the Chase pick went beyond Chase and carried a high opportunity cost. But there were still options to get the best of both worlds at 38... even 46. Time will tell whether we managed to do so. I mean, I'll be following Sewell/Slater like a lot fo people. But I figure Chase is safe unless he himself shits the bed (which is darn near inconceivable).

Justin Smith was actually All-Pro for the 49ers.  Just used poorly here.  
Sewell has had a pretty rough first preseason game so far.
(08-13-2021, 08:24 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Justin Smith was actually All-Pro for the 49ers.  Just used poorly here.  

He wasn’t used poorly here. He had the same amount of sacks here in the same number of seasons that he was a 49er

It’s just the 49ers had more success, and they are a far more popular team, so of course he got the accolades.

Whitworth with the rams is already a more known and popular player than when he was in cincy
https://www.nfl.com/videos/gregory-rousseau-beats-penei-sewell-for-sack-on-first-drive

Maybe the Lions will regret Sewell lol
(08-13-2021, 08:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/videos/gregory-rousseau-beats-penei-sewell-for-sack-on-first-drive

Maybe the Lions will regret Sewell lol

Speaking of pre-sesason, Aj McCarron is apparently the backup in Atlanta and he's playing some crap football.  Remember when we wanted more than a 2nd round pick for him?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-13-2021, 08:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I do like the fact that they didn't over spend on FA for an OG when they had Spain and X. Truly don't think they are as bad as some believe.

The pass rush and DL overall was just as bad as the OL last year and some just ignore this fact.

I for one want to get after the passer just as much as I want to protect my passer and I HATE getting ran on.

We will see if they put the puzzle together correctly and the pieces stay intact.

Otherwise we need to move on from Zac Taylor, make or break year man, make or break.
(08-13-2021, 08:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sewell has had a pretty rough first preseason game so far.

Eh, he is a stud, should of took him over Chase. Ninja
Haven't we had enough of this stupid debate?

Chase will ball out and be fine. So will Sewell. So will Pitts. As many of us observed the way the draft fell out essentially assured us of an elite talent in our slot.
(08-13-2021, 09:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: Haven't we had enough of this stupid debate?

Chase will ball out and be fine. So will Sewell. So will Pitts. As many of us observed the way the draft fell out essentially assured us of an elite talent in our slot.

Just gotta rub it in sometimes Joelist as some have done with me when my guy's sucked it up.

Nothing against Sewell, wanted him unless Pitts fell, Chase was my 3rd choice but as you say they all could be fine or even great.

Hoping all these guys have great careers and Jackson Carman.
(08-13-2021, 08:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I do like the fact that they didn't over spend on FA for an OG when they had Spain and X. Truly don't think they are as bad as some believe.

XSF is an injury prone career journeyman and Spain is average at best.. I’m having a hard time understanding why you like what the Bengals did (or lack there of) at guard given they’ll be responsible for protecting our franchise QB who’s coming off a major injury, in due part to their poor play last season.
(08-13-2021, 09:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, he is a stud, should of took him over Chase. Ninja

IKR - what were we thinking!??!?!?
Sewell.could potentially be a All Pro OT in a couple years
He is a rookie. He will.have growing pains.
But there was alot of hot air and hype surrounding
Him leading.up to.The draft.
(08-13-2021, 08:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He wasn’t used poorly here. He had the same amount of sacks here in the same number of seasons that he was a 49er

It’s just the 49ers had more success, and they are a far more popular team, so of course he got the accolades.

Whitworth with the rams is already a more known and popular player than when he was in cincy
Yes he was. He's much better suited as a 3-4 end than a 4-3 end. He was never all pro here, never close. Whitworth is known for being great at an old age but he was every bit the player in Cincy. 

Career highlights and awards
5× Pro Bowl (2009–2013)
2× First-team All-Pro (2011, 2012)
3× Second-team All-Pro (2011–2013)
Pro Football Focus Defensive Player of the Year (2011)
Sports Illustrated Defensive Player of the Year (2011)

Are you kidding me? All after leaving Cincy
(08-13-2021, 09:56 PM)Stewy Wrote: IKR - what were we thinking!??!?!?

We should dig up that gameday thread when Burrow got injured and see how many people were lamenting our thin WR corps as Burrow was being carted off the field.
(08-13-2021, 11:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We should dig up that gameday thread when Burrow got injured and see how many people were lamenting our thin WR corps as Burrow was being carted off the field.
Exactly...Because if folks are looking for rational football acumen they should rely the gameday thread..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-14-2021, 12:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Exactly...Because if folks are looking for rational football acumen they should rely the gameday thread..

Especially that particular GDT. It would be like looking for rational takes after the Steelers playoff game debacle…

I fully admit I had a bit of a meltdown that day (especially after a certain thread was bumped), but I think it’s somewhat understandable. Certainly not something we should be digging up to use against anyone. SUPER weak idea.

(08-14-2021, 12:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Exactly...Because if folks are looking for rational football acumen they should rely the gameday thread..

I hear ya, but I'll take someone's reaction to football in front of his face over off-season fantasies, musings, and delusions.  

(08-14-2021, 12:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Especially that particular GDT. It would be like looking for rational takes after the Steelers playoff game debacle…

I fully admit I had a bit of a meltdown that day (especially after a certain thread was bumped), but I think it’s somewhat understandable. Certainly not something we should be digging up to use against anyone. SUPER weak idea.

Maybe I'm biased because I recall the comments at the time being about how the o-line stunk and ZT called too many passing plays.  I can't help but feel like those are still things people, now that we are completely sane and rational, still think and want.  I also know as soon as Chase catches a monster TD he's going to be the "right" choice and the first time Burrow gets planted into the turf Sewell would have been the "right" choice.
(08-14-2021, 12:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Especially that particular GDT. It would be like looking for rational takes after the Steelers playoff game debacle…

Idk, I think anyone who said Burrow might not even walk again let alone play in a football game again (and then continued to make those posts like facts) should probably have posting rights stripped from them for the first couple games or something. 
(08-14-2021, 12:58 AM)TheFan Wrote: Idk, I think anyone who said Burrow might not even walk again let alone play in a football game again (and then continued to make those posts like facts) should probably have posting rights stripped from them for the first couple games or something. 

Eh, emotions run high with something like that. Especially with how bad his injury was. Now remaining completely doom and gloom afterwards is a different story.

The draft is over. We have what we have. Let's just hope the talent we have now is not squandered on mismanagement of the coaching calls.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl