Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(08-21-2021, 12:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fanboys are funny. Folks that know anything know I'm one of the most optimistic posters in this forum, but when players who have proved nothing in the NFL perform poorly I have 0 issue with folks comparing them to other players who shined in college and flopped in the NFL.

It is far too early to call JaMaar a "bust" and anyone who does so at this point is clueless. We all hope (well except 1 or 2) that JaMarr shines and I think he will (although I've always contended Tee will be WR#1) but he's struggling now.

Tee legit should be #1. You can tell he worked hard on his body this off-season. Dude has glue hands, makes contested catches, and plays fast enough to be a real threat. What a steal in rd 2.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Chase will be fine. Pre season is the time for him to make mistakes and learn. I bet he makes a big catch game one and will be off to a great career here in Cincinnati
(08-21-2021, 12:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Joe Burrow has proved it at the NFL level. 

Oh so you’re just not even going to give Chase a full regular season game then huh? Interesting…
(08-21-2021, 02:15 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Oh so you’re just not even going to give Chase a full regular season game then huh? Interesting…

You're confused aren't you? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-21-2021, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're confused aren't you? 

You said you’re calling Chase Ja’marr Ross until he proves it. I don’t recall you doing this for any other player before they played a regular season snap.
(08-21-2021, 01:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Tee legit should be #1. You can tell he worked hard on his body this off-season. Dude has glue hands, makes contested catches, and plays fast enough to be a real threat. What a steal in rd 2.

Higgins is a legit WR, been saying that since last season ended.

Concern I have now, is how do you keep him happy and here? Diggs didn't like being the after thought to Adam Thielen and the losing in Minnesota, so he took off to Buffalo and got paid and paid well. I'm just curious if that will happen with Higgins with Chase being the focal point of the offense.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(08-21-2021, 12:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Joe Burrow has proved it at the NFL level. 

Joe hadn't proved anything at the NFL level until he actually played an NFL season, yet I don't remember you referring to him as Joe Klingler, as the poster stated, prior to his first game. Yet, with Chase, who hasn't played a single NFL regular season snap yet, you have no problem calling him Ja'Marr Ross. Seems like you decided to use 2 different standards there brother. 
(08-21-2021, 02:43 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Higgins is a legit WR, been saying that since last season ended.

Concern I have now, is how do you keep him happy and here? Diggs didn't like being the after thought to Adam Thielen and the losing in Minnesota, so he took off to Buffalo and got paid and paid well. I'm just curious if that will happen with Higgins with Chase being the focal point of the offense.

He is in year 2 of a 4 year contract. He also has a young charismatic QB who looks the part. We have the cap room to keep him. Why would he leave?
BENGALdawg
(08-21-2021, 02:43 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Higgins is a legit WR, been saying that since last season ended.

I hope not....he just got better and better as the season progressed. He and Burrow were really just getting started when Joe went down. He physically looks like a different person, and you can tell he has just continued to learn. I expect a big year from him. Lost in the Chase hype is that Tee played pretty damn good college ball for a national championship team too. Chase may wind up the one being an afterthought. Ya never know how things will play out.

[Image: 239741445_4032132323564279_4044249484567...e=6147228A]
(08-21-2021, 02:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Joe hadn't proved anything at the NFL level until he actually played an NFL season, yet I don't remember you referring to him as Joe Klingler, as the poster stated, prior to his first game. Yet, with Chase, who hasn't played a single NFL regular season snap yet, you have no problem calling him Ja'Marr Ross. Seems like you decided to use 2 different standards there brother. 

Joe Burrow didn’t look like Klingler when he got on the field. Jamar Chase does look like John Ross. After that bad first impression people will question him until he plays like a top 5 pick.
(08-21-2021, 01:28 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'll wait until we get a few regular season games in to determine who sucks, who's soft, etc unless of course someone gets cut then I'll assume they sucked and couldn't make the team.

During TC: "You buffoons! Can we at least wait til we see Chase line up against other teams?"

During Preseason: Yall are haters! Can we wait until a few regular season games to write off this guy's career??

After 4 games: Are we really making a judgement after a few games? How about waiting a full season?

After 1 season: Chad Johnson only had 329 yards as a rookie. It takes 2-3 years for a WR to truly blossom.

After 3 seasons: We need to draft a WR. That one dude sucks. I knew it all along.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-21-2021, 03:10 PM)BengalDawg Wrote: He is in year 2 of a 4 year contract. He also has a young charismatic QB who looks the part. We have the cap room to keep him. Why would he leave?

To be paid like a #1 WR and be the #1 WR??? Pretty sure I answered your question before you asked it.

I also clearly said, how do you keep him here and happy. Can't be the 3rd option and expect him to be happy when he is clearly a #1. Boyd in the slot will get plenty of balls thrown his way, and the offense if going to make Chase a focal point (spent a high pick and Burrow lobbied for him). So if Higgins spends the next 2 seasons as the 3rd option, you think he'll be happy in that final year? 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(08-21-2021, 03:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: [Image: 239741445_4032132323564279_4044249484567...e=6147228A]

The first image doesn’t even make sense.
Chase did have a bad game with bad drops.

That said, I’m not concerned yet. I think he is going to be fine but he does need more reps. Hopefully he plays longer next week.

Also, I expect him to start slow this season and get better as the season progresses.
(08-21-2021, 02:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Joe hadn't proved anything at the NFL level until he actually played an NFL season, yet I don't remember you referring to him as Joe Klingler, as the poster stated, prior to his first game. Yet, with Chase, who hasn't played a single NFL regular season snap yet, you have no problem calling him Ja'Marr Ross. Seems like you decided to use 2 different standards there brother. 

Of course you guys are right. Joe Burrow looked terrible in the Preseason we didn't have last year....I should have called him Joe Klingler
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-21-2021, 03:19 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: Joe Burrow didn’t look like Klingler when he got on the field. Jamar Chase does look like John Ross. After that bad first impression people will question him until he plays like a top 5 pick.

I know it's too soon and all that jazz, but I think people expect a much-hyped top 5 WR to set the world on fire from day 1. AJ Green did. It was nothing but great news about him from jump.

So if Chase is disappointing in camp and preseason, he's not going to get much leeway. Especially not considering who we passed on to get him. This isn't to say we should label him a bust or anything stupid. It's to say that the higher the pick, the higher the expectations.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-21-2021, 03:23 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: To be paid like a #1 WR and be the #1 WR??? Pretty sure I answered your question before you asked it.

I also clearly said, how do you keep him here and happy. Can't be the 3rd option and expect him to be happy when he is clearly a #1. Boyd in the slot will get plenty of balls thrown his way, and the offense if going to make Chase a focal point (spent a high pick and Burrow lobbied for him). So if Higgins spends the next 2 seasons as the 3rd option, you think he'll be happy in that final year? 

In this scenario, probably not. I guess it would depend on how much they'd pony up and how much he likes playing here. Also, he has two years left on his deal....in the off chance this team winds up a legit contender in that time frame, that might have some bearing on his decision too. Lot of variables there. 

(08-21-2021, 03:19 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: Joe Burrow didn’t look like Klingler when he got on the field. Jamar Chase does look like John Ross. After that bad first impression people will question him until he plays like a top 5 pick.

Criticizing or being concerned with the drops is one thing. Comparing him to a notable WR bust, when he hasn't played a single regular season snap yet, is beyond silly and a complete overreaction. 

It's just as silly as when people hype up practice squad / back of the roster type guys like they're going to set the NFL on fire because they had a couple preseason performances. 

We won't know what Chase is or isn't until we see him do it over an extended period in the regular season. 
(08-21-2021, 03:23 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: To be paid like a #1 WR and be the #1 WR??? Pretty sure I answered your question before you asked it.

He led the team in yards as a rookie and was second in targets (110 v. 108). He has been targeted early and often this preseason. The franchise has posted multiple shots of him on their social media all off season. The team has shown nothing to indicate they aren’t committed to keeping him. This is a lazy take and based on nothing.
BENGALdawg
(08-21-2021, 01:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Tee legit should be #1. You can tell he worked hard on his body this off-season. Dude has glue hands, makes contested catches, and plays fast enough to be a real threat. What a steal in rd 2.

Yeah sometimes I wonder if my Bengals glasses are altering my perspective and I'll try not to get too hyped by a certain player. But Tee Higgins rookie stats are comparable to Aj Greens,  Aj browns and DK metcalfs as well as a whole bunch of others. He also looks like he's put in the kind of work in this offseason to continue to take the next step forward.