Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(09-01-2021, 09:47 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Practice has no impact on who the actual best receivers on the team are. What I mean by that is if Davante Adams tore up practice every single day but he was only averaging 600 yards per season, no one would think about him the way that they do.

Practice IS important, but if the only argument that you have for a player is “well, he’s doing well in practice” then that is a really weak argument. Chase looked awful this preseason. That being said, I’m a believer in Chase and I think he will turn it around.

ok, let's wait until some actual games.  Pre-season isn't exactly a game either.  I'm a believer in Chase too.  He will turn it around.  You can't have numerous scouts say he's the best prospect since Julio or the best prospect in the past two drafts and he just forgets how to catch.  Might take a few games like it did for Justin Jefferson or over a year like it did for Boyd.  But he will be a stud one day. 
(09-01-2021, 10:41 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: ok, let's wait until some actual games.  Pre-season isn't exactly a game either.  I'm a believer in Chase too.  He will turn it around.  You can't have numerous scouts say he's the best prospect since Julio or the best prospect in the past two drafts and he just forgets how to catch.  Might take a few games like it did for Justin Jefferson or over a year like it did for Boyd.  But he will be a stud one day. 

I think all it is going to take is one long ball catch, in a game in front of a crowd, to get all the jitters out of his head and get him back to just playing ball.
(09-01-2021, 10:41 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: ok, let's wait until some actual games.  Pre-season isn't exactly a game either.  I'm a believer in Chase too.  He will turn it around.  You can't have numerous scouts say he's the best prospect since Julio or the best prospect in the past two drafts and he just forgets how to catch.  Might take a few games like it did for Justin Jefferson or over a year like it did for Boyd.  But he will be a stud one day. 

There's a reason why Boyd was a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st round pick, let alone a 5th overall pick.

If Chase takes over a year, it's a failed pick.

I am not saying that it will, or that he is, but we can't hold a 5th overall pick to the same initial standards and expectations as a 55th overall pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-01-2021, 11:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There's a reason why Boyd was a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st round pick, let alone a 5th overall pick.

I am not saying that it will, or that he is, but we can't hold a 5th overall pick to the same initial standards and expectations as a 55th overall pick.

We should probably just let him play his first game.....
(09-01-2021, 11:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We should probably just let him play his first game.....

When did I say we shouldn't? I was replying to the guy's post of saying he might take as long as Boyd.

(09-01-2021, 11:32 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When did I say we shouldn't? I was replying to the guy's post of saying he might take as long as Boyd.

Wasn't meaning you specifically, I hit the quote button instead of the reply button. My response was aimed at everyone.
If Tate, Thomas, Irwin, or Morgan had had Chase's terrible pre-season, they'd have been cut. I'd say roughly 50% of the team would have also. Heck, probably more, considering some starters would have been gone if they had played that badly (XSF, Spain, Pratt, McPherson, Huber, Uzomah).

Now, I am certainly not giving up on the guy, but to say his performance was anything other than terrible is just crazy happy talk. Not only is he dropping the ball, but looks like he is afraid to get hit & that's why he is dropping it. Not looking the ball in because he is looking for guys that can hit him and/or alligator arms. That is as bad as it gets for a receiver.
Maybe Chase does swell in game 1 and we're over it, but one game isn't likely going to tell us anything.  Burrow didn't have a pre-season, he hasn't played football in almost a year, the o-line will have to gel, and so on and so forth.

Game 1 for Chase is either going to be "SEE?  He's fixed" or "Here are excuses why he's still going to be ok" and that's fine.  I'm just pointing out that a lot of the notions that we will find out what we have in this team and multiple players is going to be answered unless they look good and we just filed it under "Looks, good enough for me...moving on."

I never agreed with the statement myself, but I've heard people say that once you are drafted your draft position no longer matters.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Number of posts in the “will we regret the Chase pick?” thread: 890

Number of regular season receiving targets Chase has had: 0
(09-01-2021, 11:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There's a reason why Boyd was a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st round pick, let alone a 5th overall pick.

It might take a few series or a few weeks but he'll come around and prove he was worth the pick. 
I don't think it'll take him a year. Not as sure he'll be a better player than J.Jefferson anymore, and I don't think the drops will magically disappear game 1, but hopefully he comes around by mid year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
He may well drop a pass against Minnesota.

The real question is will people have the discipline to resist bumping this thread *immediately* after that happens.

That’s a bit extreme. Of course you want your first rounders (especially top 5) to make an impact immediately, but if Chase has an unimpressive rookie season, but then goes on and starts balling out every year after that I’d hardly say it’s a failed pick. You don’t draft a player (no matter how high) for just one year. And most players don’t hit their ceiling at 21.

(09-01-2021, 12:08 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: He may well drop a pass against Minnesota.

The real question is will people have the discipline to resist bumping this thread *immediately* after that happens.

This thread is getting bumped immediately because Chase is either going to catch a pass or catch 0 passes...either way, it's news. 
(09-01-2021, 12:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s a bit extreme. Of course you want your first rounders (especially top 5) to make an impact immediately, but if Chase has an unimpressive rookie season, but then goes on and starts balling out every year after that I’d hardly say it’s a failed pick. You don’t draft a player (no matter how high) for just one year. And most players don’t hit their ceiling at 21.

He said "more than a year" and specifically mentioned Boyd as an example. Boyd wasn't Boyd until year 3. (He had 225 yards in Year 2.)

Your scenario would be "a year" and wouldn't meet the criteria I said for the pick being a failure.

(09-01-2021, 12:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He said "more than a year" and specifically mentioned Boyd as an example. Boyd wasn't Boyd until year 3. (He had 225 yards in Year 2.)

Yeah, after year 2 Boyd was lumped in with all those other "vet WRs we know are OK but not elite who are getting in the way of our talented young WRs becaue MARVIN GONNA MARVIN!"

How soon we forget that benching/cutting/trading Boyd to get Ross more chances was a popular take at one point.  Snapshots...they don't tell the whole story.
(09-01-2021, 12:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He said "more than a year" and specifically mentioned Boyd as an example. Boyd wasn't Boyd until year 3. (He had 225 yards in Year 2.)

Your scenario would be "a year" and wouldn't meet the criteria I said for the pick being a failure.

My bad. Missed the “more” part.

More than a year can be game 2 of year two. 
It's way too early for this thread to even exist. Let's give Chase at least a season with his second year, bad-knee QB and historically NFL bad coach before we write him off as a bust at WR.
(09-01-2021, 12:33 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's way too early for this thread to even exist. Let's give Chase at least a season with his second year, bad-knee QB and historically NFL bad coach before we write him off as a bust at WR.

Right, well we've got to at least talk about it before we find out...though you do paint a grim picture.