Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(10-18-2021, 12:10 AM)Benton Wrote: Mellow

Smirk

[Image: jJmiG2h.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

I know everyone is already gushing again about Chase, and that's warranted. He is on a statistical pace not seen for a rookie since Randy Moss. I want to comment on his play with a certain sort of specificity though. What he's doing is almost impossible.

It's not just amazing statistical compilation. It's that a huge bulk of that production has come at extremely opportune times. Ja'Marr Chase has now made a 30+ yard catch inside one minute remaining in the first half FOUR TIMES in six games, each in a separate game. I mean what the ****???

vs. Minnesota: 50 yard TD with 0:36 remaining in the half
@ Pittsburgh: 34 yard TD with 0:27 remaining in the half
vs. Green Bay: 70 yard TD with 0:31 remaining in the half
@ Detroit: 34 yards to the DET 26 at 0:23 remaining in the half, setting up a field goal

He didn't do it in Chicago. Instead he caught a 42 yard TD with 2:01 remaining in the game just before the Wilson INT made it winnable.
He didn't do it against Jacksonville. Instead he caught a 44 yard pass 10 seconds into the 3rd quarter when they were down 14-0.

Comparing him to Randy Moss statistically is something that at first gave me the willies. We used to hear the same thing about AJ Green, granted over a broader statistical period (e.g., AJ was the only player other than Moss to open a career with 6 1,000 yard seasons or something like that). But when I think about Chase from this perspective of timing, I don't know who else to compare him to. When the Bengals absolutely need one, they are quite literally chucking it his way and he is usually wide ass open to make it feasible. I am straight up unused to seeing separation like what he has achieved down the field. I don't remember AJ or Chad doing that consistently (as great as both obviously were), though perhaps my memory is biased toward the negative.

Then he threw a block that sent a DB backwards through puberty. WTF??? How is this player real?
(10-18-2021, 01:13 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I know everyone is already gushing again about Chase, and that's warranted. He is on a statistical pace not seen for a rookie since Randy Moss. I want to comment on his play with a certain sort of specificity though. What he's doing is almost impossible.

It's not just amazing statistical compilation. It's that a huge bulk of that production has come at extremely opportune times. Ja'Marr Chase has now made a 30+ yard catch inside one minute remaining in the first half FOUR TIMES in six games, each in a separate game. I mean what the ****???

@ Detroit: 34 yards to the DET 26 at 0:23 remaining in the half, setting up a field goal

He didn't do it in Chicago. Instead he caught a 42 yard TD with 2:01 remaining in the game just before the Wilson INT made it winnable.
He didn't do it against Jacksonville. Instead he caught a 44 yard pass 10 seconds into the 3rd quarter when they were down 14-0.

Comparing him to Randy Moss statistically is something that at first gave me the willies. We used to hear the same thing about AJ Green, granted over a broader statistical period (e.g., AJ was the only player other than Moss to open a career with 6 1,000 yard seasons or something like that). But when I think about Chase from this perspective of timing, I don't know who else to compare him to. When the Bengals absolutely need one, they are quite literally chucking it his way and he is usually wide ass open to make it feasible. I am straight up unused to seeing separation like what he has achieved down the field. I don't remember AJ or Chad doing that consistently (as great as both obviously were), though perhaps my memory is biased toward the negative.

Then he threw a block that sent a DB backwards through puberty. WTF??? How is this player real?

Child please. Chad was always open. Tongue

There's three things in life that are certain: death, taxes, and 85 gon always be open.
I don't know if anyone's asked this question, but I do NOT regret the Bengals drafting Chase over Sewell. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
In a Bengals uniform?

Isaac Curtis. They basically had to change the rules because teams could not cover him down the field and were just mauling him on pass routes.

Chad was open a ton. Eddie Brown deep of Boomer play action. Carl Pickens from Jeff Blake. Darnay Scott was also very fast deep. Chris Henry (though it did not last long).

But yes, the start from Chase has been great. Better than expected or hoped for. Though he did have one go through his hands for a pick last game.
(10-17-2021, 08:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The latest version… LOL

[Image: FB7EBSIXMAE3RNe?format=jpg&name=large]

That graphic is funny as all get out. 

But I would point out that Sewell was rated pretty highly last week by PFF. I think Detroit's highest on offense (not a high bar, admittedly), somewhere around 74.5 IIRC. 

Hendrickson got him a couple times, he got called for a couple holds (one that we did not accept), but he graded out fairly well. 

But he has not had nearly the impact Chase has had through 6 games. Not even close. 

Of course, after 2 games, it looked like it was the other way round. Sewell was killing it and Burrow was getting killed. Let us see what happens vs. Baltimore (and a healthy Steelers) before we start celebrating the WR over OT pick. Reiff has been OK. Spain has been a revelation. Carman better than expected early. Hopkins poor coming off injury. Jonah pretty darn good if not excellent.
(10-18-2021, 03:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That graphic is funny as all get out. 

But I would point out that Sewell was rated pretty highly last week by PFF. I think Detroit's highest on offense (not a high bar, admittedly), somewhere around 74.5 IIRC. 

Hendrickson got him a couple times, he got called for a couple holds (one that we did not accept), but he graded out fairly well. 

But he has not had nearly the impact Chase has had through 6 games. Not even close. 

Of course, after 2 games, it looked like it was the other way round. Sewell was killing it and Burrow was getting killed. Let us see what happens vs. Baltimore (and a healthy Steelers) before we start celebrating the WR over OT pick. Reiff has been OK. Spain has been a revelation. Carman better than expected early. Hopkins poor coming off injury. Jonah pretty darn good if not excellent.

A big reason Sewell was better later in the game is because the Lions stopped trying to run and went to quick passing getting the ball out quickly. That really helps out the Offensive Line.

[Image: pass-chart_GOF219636_2021-REG-6_1634500946450.jpeg]
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(10-18-2021, 01:13 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I know everyone is already gushing again about Chase, and that's warranted. He is on a statistical pace not seen for a rookie since Randy Moss. I want to comment on his play with a certain sort of specificity though. What he's doing is almost impossible.

He and Burrow have chemistry like I’ve never seen. Burrow knows exactly when he’s gonna beat the defender way before he does. Chase knows when to look back, and knows where Burrow is going to throw it. I said it in another thread but I’m a die hard LSU fan and these guys gave us something really beyond special, so I’m a Bengals fan before a Saints fan now. 

These guys are absolutely special. Chase is the epitome of a playmaker. I love how he’s the deep ball guy. Yall are so talented on offense it’s ridiculous. Great things coming.
What's most impressive about Chase is how he handled the whole preseason meltdown. He showed no signs of being distracted, didn't snap at fans or the media, faced questions head on and never seemed to get down from the negativity. And put in all the work behind closed doors you'd want to see out of your top pick. He may be the best player in the draft.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-18-2021, 11:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: What's most impressive about Chase is how he handled the whole preseason meltdown. He showed no signs of being distracted, didn't snap at fans or the media, faced questions head on and never seemed to get down from the negativity. And put in all the work behind closed doors you'd want to see out of your top pick. He may be the best player in the draft.

Judging by his comments after the first game, I think he took the drop criticism personally, ala Jordan.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Not a post of the day type material, but Chase is quickly joining Chad Johnson on my list as the most entertaining Bengals player I've watched.

His, "I'm like a TE" bench talk after blocking for Mixon was amusing to hear. It's fun getting a peak into the players personalities.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/former-nfl-qb-breaks-down-joe-burrow-connection-with-jamarr-chase

Big praise....

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/richard-sherman-offers-up-big-time-praise-for-bengals-rookie-jamarr-chase

It's probably not much of a suprise but when they asked Burro about Ja'Maar before drafting him, He said.., Explosiveness and separation like no one else.. He was dead on.. If you had to pull 2 things from his game this year, that's it.. Everyone forgets he had a year off.. He somehow got even better..
(10-19-2021, 09:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Not a post of the day type material, but Chase is quickly joining Chad Johnson on my list as the most entertaining Bengals player I've watched.

His, "I'm like a TE" bench talk after blocking for Mixon was amusing to hear. It's fun getting a peak into the players personalities.

I’m so excited for the full Chase mic’d up. Just watched a clip of Burrow and Chase making fun of each other on the deep throw. Guys are having fun out there and that always coincides with winning.
(10-19-2021, 07:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m so excited for the full Chase mic’d up. Just watched a clip of Burrow and Chase making fun of each other on the deep throw. Guys are having fun out there and that always coincides with winning.

Likewise. As an LSU/Saints fan I'm so annoyed we don't have both of them. Pretty funny they were both at LSU, then both at the Bengals... both big cats, and one is who dat and one is who dey 
(10-19-2021, 12:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/former-nfl-qb-breaks-down-joe-burrow-connection-with-jamarr-chase

Honestly when he was in college I thought 'wow, this guy is like a hybrid of Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin' He has the ability to stretch the field and punch you in the mouth. I think we made a good pick at #5 lol
(10-19-2021, 05:27 PM)Tony Wrote: It's probably not much of a suprise but when they asked Burro about Ja'Maar before drafting him, He said.., Explosiveness and separation like no one else.. He was dead on.. If you had to pull 2 things from his game this year, that's it.. Everyone forgets he had a year off.. He somehow got even better..

To me this told the organization more about Jamarr’s work ethic and character than his skill level. He came to camp in great shape and mentally ready to compete VS NFL players after a year off. To stay in football shape without actually playing football means you were busting your ever loving ass in the off-season. It is monumentally hard to stay in football shape without playing football. Same as pro wrestling. It is impossible to take a year off from the ring and come back and be good
-Housh
(10-19-2021, 10:11 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Likewise. As an LSU/Saints fan I'm so annoyed we don't have both of them. Pretty funny they were both at LSU, then both at the Bengals... both big cats, and one is who dat and one is who dey 

At least you can be happy they are together and enjoy the Bengals putting on a show Big Grin