Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
This thread will not end well…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(10-26-2021, 06:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This thread will not end well…

I actually was in the minority and wanted Pitts, but I'm happy with Chase and would have been happy with Sewell (although not as much).  My top 3 were Pitts, Chase & Sewell for us.

It will end when it ends.  It will eventually push to 2nd page oblivion just like all other threads.    Wink 
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
(10-26-2021, 05:58 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Looking at the three (with Pitts being the lesser option but I was a fan) positions we were looking at in the draft I think we did well.  

Sewell I think has turned out to be #3 on this list, but shows a lot of promise with Detroit.

Pitts is putting up great numbers with Atlanta (best pace in NFL history)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kyle-pitts-on-pace-for-best-rookie-tight-end-season-in-nfl-history

Then of course there is Chase that is doing the same as a WR.  

That a pretty impressive trio.  

The top 3 QBs are a "Jury is still out" IMHO.

What does everyone think?  Did we get the right guy or would you rather have Pitts (I know he went 4th) or Sewell?

I'm sorry, man, but Pitts has 31 receptions for 471 yards and 1 TD. Ja'Marr has 35 receptions and 754 Yards and 6 TDs.  They aren't quite the same thing, unless you were speaking only to record pace for their perspective positions groups.

Not attacking you here, or saying you said this about Pitts, but all I heard was how he wasn't a TE, he was a massive receiver.  That was said in response to his lacking skills as a blocker.  I also heard that he was "undefendable".  Well, Atlanta has seen such defensive stalwarts as Miami, Philly, the Giants, and the Jets.  

I am sure Pitts will be a great NFL player, but no one is on top of the league like Chase right now.  Amazingly, he is barely being targeted.  If he was targeted like Devonta Adams?  Good Lord.  

So, in summary, WE GOT THE RIGHT GUY.  
(10-26-2021, 06:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm sorry, man, but Pitts has 31 receptions for 471 yards and 1 TD. Ja'Marr has 35 receptions and 754 Yards and 6 TDs.  They aren't quite the same thing, unless you were speaking only to record pace for their perspective positions groups.

Not attacking you here, or saying you said this about Pitts, but all I heard was how he wasn't a TE, he was a massive receiver.  That was said in response to his lacking skills as a blocker.  I also heard that he was "undefendable".  Well, Atlanta has seen such defensive stalwarts as Miami, Philly, the Giants, and the Jets.  

I am sure Pitts will be a great NFL player, but no one is on top of the league like Chase right now.  Amazingly, he is barely being targeted.  If he was targeted like Devonta Adams?  Good Lord.  

Agreed.  But I thought a 20/20 hindsight prospective was in order.  Chase is the DUDE.  Pitts would have been quite solid.  He's on a fantastic pace for the position.  
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
(10-26-2021, 06:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm sorry, man, but Pitts has 31 receptions for 471 yards and 1 TD. Ja'Marr has 35 receptions and 754 Yards and 6 TDs.  They aren't quite the same thing, unless you were speaking only to record pace for their perspective positions groups.

The only two times Chase has seen double digit targets;

159 yards 1 TD

201 yards 1 TD

We need to target him more. A lot more. I don’t really care if that hurts Boyd or Tee’s feelings (which I doubt it would if we’re blowing teams out).

(10-26-2021, 06:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I said Pitts was going to be a game changer at the position like no one had ever seen and it has been a solid start, they were slow to use him early in the season though. That said, Chase can make an argument he is a top 3 WR in the league right now. Sewell has been better than people think and still may be the guy people thought he was but I actually think Slater is having a better year.

Overall this class is looking pretty stacked where we had our eyes and may have been a situation where we couldn't really lose.

You could argue he's the #1 receiver in the league.

Only Kupp has more yards and he has way more targets and receptions.
(10-26-2021, 06:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only two times Chase has seen double digit targets;

159 yards 1 TD

201 yards 1 TD

We need to target him more. A lot more. I don’t really care if that hurts Boyd or Tee’s feelings (which I doubt it would if we’re blowing teams out).

Although I understand this COMPLETELY, I actually feel the opposite.  I want the targets to continue to be spread (with even more to the TEs and RBs) as I believe having him healthy down the stretch is so critical.  Sure, if the game is super close, he's your #1 option, but I want him and everyone healthy and that involves spreading the wealth.  I think Tee is close to breaking out.  Can you imagine if all three are rolling?  Excuse me, CJ, all four?  
(10-26-2021, 05:58 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Looking at the three (with Pitts being the lesser option but I was a fan) positions we were looking at in the draft I think we did well.

Sewell I think has turned out to be #3 on this list, but shows a lot of promise with Detroit.

Pitts is putting up great numbers with Atlanta (best pace in NFL history)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kyle-pitts-on-pace-for-best-rookie-tight-end-season-in-nfl-history

Then of course there is Chase that is doing the same as a WR.

That a pretty impressive trio.

The top 3 QBs are a "Jury is still out" IMHO.

What does everyone think? Did we get the right guy or would you rather have Pitts (I know he went 4th) or Sewell?

Ja'Marr Chase is an MVP frontrunner at this point. I'd say we made the right pick.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-26-2021, 06:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although I understand this COMPLETELY, I actually feel the opposite.  I want the targets to continue to be spread (with even more to the TEs and RBs) as I believe having him healthy down the stretch is so critical.  Sure, if the game is super close, he's your #1 option, but I want him and everyone healthy and that involves spreading the wealth.  I think Tee is close to breaking out.  Can you imagine if all three are rolling?  Excuse me, CJ, all four?  

Please no on TE’s plural. I don’t want to waste a single target on Drew Sample. Tongue

But I don’t disagree with the rest. I would just like to see Chase get at least a few more targets every game. He should never only be seeing 4-5 a week. Hell, our worst loss (Chicago) Burrow only targeted him a season low 4 times.

It’s really tough to compare Chase and Pitts. Reason I say this is if Chase didn’t have the Burrow trust already, then he probably wouldn’t have had as many opportunities. Especially when he was having issues catching the ball before season started. This is all LSU connection we have going on here.

Looks like we won the lottery....even if some of us didn't even buy the ticket.

"Better send those refunds..."

I said all 3 were the right pick.

I’m still positive I’m right
(10-26-2021, 06:25 PM)motoarch Wrote: You could argue he's the #1 receiver in the league.

Only Kupp has more yards and he has way more targets and receptions.

Adams is still a better receiver stats aside.
We made the right decision even if I wanted Pitts at the time. Chase scores TD's and lots of them.
The strange thing about last year's draft was that after Lawrence, I thought Sewell/Pitts/Chase were obviously the next best 3, and all potentially generational guys at their positions. But since the Jets were so QB needy they took Wilson and SF traded up and reached for Lance.

That meant we were gonna get a shot at a generational level guy at #5. Now, there were some questions about Chase & Sewell with both guys taking a year off. Legit arguments about positional value and protecting Burrow. Which is why I wanted Sewell.

But there is no doubt that Chase has been the best of the bunch thru 7 games, though Pitts has been awful good the last 2 weeks. Sewell has slumped a bit after a great start, but is still grading out alright at PFF (mid 60s). Lion's lack of threats downfield is not helping their OL much, nor Goff at QB. Teams are not afraid of big plays vs Detroit.

Still think all 3 are Pro Bowl/All Pro level guys. But Chase & Pitts may get there THIS YEAR, and Sewell will not.
Chase is doing great, the other two are playing well also: after a slow start.. Sewell just had his best game against the best rusher in Donald and Pitts has been improving each week.

Right now Chase looks like the right pick but i think we will still need to wait 2 to 3 years out to see if some of the worries with our Oline and Burrow protection how it plays out...
We could have gone in multiple directions and come out rosey in this draft. Im bullish on Chase though. I wanted to trade down originally but after watching Chase in the draft process is the only thing I could think of is that kid is Jerry Rice.

So I'm satisfied with the pick but Sewell or Pitts would have been Home Runs as well but not the grand slam that chase was.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(10-26-2021, 07:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Adams is still a better receiver stats aside.

Anyone ready to crown Chase after 7 games is still riding the high from Sunday. 

That said, future sure looks bright. I usually roll my eyes when you hear the obscure records like most yards through first X games, but there was some awfully good company up there.

I admit I leaned Sewell, but was hardly upset with the Chase pick. Really felt we couldn't go wrong. In hindsight, there really was something to be said for the connection between him and Burrow.
(10-26-2021, 07:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Adams is still a better receiver stats aside.

So is Diggs.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(10-26-2021, 08:02 PM)J24 Wrote: We could have gone in multiple directions and come out rosey in this draft. Im bullish on Chase though. I wanted to trade down originally but after watching Chase in the draft process is the only thing I could think of is that kid is Jerry Rice.

So I'm satisfied with the pick but Sewell or Pitts would have been Home Runs as well but not the grand slam that chase was.

good points..