Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jester
Anyone else see this?

http://hothardware.com/news/jester-vandalizes-russian-ministry-of-foreign-affairs-site

Quote:Maybe he’s the hero the United States “deserves, but not the one it needs right now”. It looks like the United States has its own hacking Dark Knight. American vigilante hacker “The Jester” gained unauthorized access to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and left a very interesting message for the Russian government.

This past Friday, the Jester hacked into MID.ru, the official website of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He found a vulnerability in the website’s code and injected his own code into it. He inserted the shriek of the American civil alert sound (aka "The Emergency Broadcast System" or EBS) and the following message: “Comrades! We interrupt regular scheduled Russian Foreign Affairs Website programming to bring you the following important message. Knock it off. You may be able to push around nations around you, but this is America. Nobody is impressed.”
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Hah! Take that in your Putin! We've got our own 12 year old out there willing to do all the things 70-something year old politicians talk about but never do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-24-2016, 10:50 AM)Benton Wrote: Hah! Take that in your Putin! We've got our own 12 year old out there willing to do all the things 70-something year old politicians talk about but never do.

Always interesting people fall back to "12 year old, in their moms basement" when talking about hackers. It is a relic of a time when computer use was still kind of underground in general, but almost all of us today would be that "Guy in their moms basement" based on our usage if we were doing it 15 years ago. Obviously, it was probably a joke but one of those things that still kind of annoy me as it is a kind of self defense method for something most people don't understand.

The reality is most the "hacking" we see, and like what we saw Friday, are DOS attacks (denial of service). It's not hacking, it is basically attempting to access a server repeatedly in large quantities causing the server to crash. What made the one Friday different is that they appear to have slaved large amounts of network connected devices to carry out the attack, this did require some skill which is why some think it was state sponsored.

What the guy did in turn would be considered hacking as he forced unauthorized entry into a system. The method though is rather elementary and won't really do much other than get the web developer fired (or in Russia maybe shot).
(10-24-2016, 09:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anyone else see this?

http://hothardware.com/news/jester-vandalizes-russian-ministry-of-foreign-affairs-site

If the Jester wants to impress me then he needs to hack into Putin's email, or their foreign minister's, and start wikileaking their discussion of why they prefer Trump to Clinton, and how they have been doling out leaked emails to wikileaks.
If all these hackers think they are really good at what they do, why don't they hack into Sallie Mae and delete everyone's student loan debt?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(10-24-2016, 10:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: Always interesting people fall back to "12 year old, in their moms basement" when talking about hackers. It is a relic of a time when computer use was still kind of underground in general, but almost all of us today would be that "Guy in their moms basement" based on our usage if we were doing it 15 years ago. Obviously, it was probably a joke but one of those things that still kind of annoy me as it is a kind of self defense method for something most people don't understand.

The reality is most the "hacking" we see, and like what we saw Friday, are DOS attacks (denial of service). It's not hacking, it is basically attempting to access a server repeatedly in large quantities causing the server to crash. What made the one Friday different is that they appear to have slaved large amounts of network connected devices to carry out the attack, this did require some skill which is why some think it was state sponsored.

What the guy did in turn would be considered hacking as he forced unauthorized entry into a system. The method though is rather elementary and won't really do much other than get the web developer fired (or in Russia maybe shot).

To be fair, I was picturing him in his dad's condo.

Mellow
(10-24-2016, 03:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: If all these hackers think they are really good at what they do, why don't they hack into Sallie Mae and delete everyone's student loan debt?

For the most part, information like that is backed up. If there's multiple copies of the data of the data on servers, paper copies, discs — however they back up their information — then there's not really a point in something like that. At my work, everything is on a local server that backs up to a corporate server in addition to each computers external drive that updates one a timer. And those external drives are cleared off every few months onto thumb drives. That doesn't include the web-based services and paper files.
(10-24-2016, 08:01 PM)Benton Wrote: For the most part, information like that is backed up. If there's multiple copies of the data of the data on servers, paper copies, discs — however they back up their information — then there's not really a point in something like that. At my work, everything is on a local server that backs up to a corporate server in addition to each computers external drive that updates one a timer. And those external drives are cleared off every few months onto thumb drives. That doesn't include the web-based services and paper files.

Indeed. On top of that, the information would exist at each loan servicer, each lender, and in NSLDS. Not to mention the schools would have the information as well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-24-2016, 03:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: If all these hackers think they are really good at what they do, why don't they hack into Sallie Mae and delete everyone's student loan debt?
As already stated, it's backed up at multiple sites and often in hardcopy.
After the movie Fight Club, institutions got a little more paranoid.

Speaking of Tyler.....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-24/want-hack-planet-iot-cannon-bring-down-web-can-be-yours-7500

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

[Image: mrrobot_prelinear_aspot.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(10-25-2016, 01:44 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: As already stated, it's backed up at multiple sites and often in hardcopy.
After the movie Fight Club, institutions got a little more paranoid.

Speaking of Tyler.....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-24/want-hack-planet-iot-cannon-bring-down-web-can-be-yours-7500

Nope, not in hardcopy. Most students and parents sign their MPN electronically, everything is stored electronically. There is not one actual piece of paper involved.

(10-25-2016, 05:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nope, not in hardcopy. Most students and parents sign their MPN electronically, everything is stored electronically. There is not one actual piece of paper involved.
Okie dokie.
Guess I've been out of the loop.
I was told a while back that banks and credit card lenders were using their safes for records, more than money.
That is where my reference came from.
Colleges are far from my realm of experience.

(10-25-2016, 06:24 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Okie dokie.
Guess I've been out of the loop.
I was told a while back that banks and credit card lenders were using their safes for records, more than money.
That is where my reference came from.
Colleges are far from my realm of experience.

That would be interesting. I mean, my experience is not on the financial institution side of things, but I know that from application to disbursement of the loan funds, no paper is used. When records are transmitted to and from lenders it is entirely in electronic form. For instance, our Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has virtually zero space for filing because it is all electronic and they handle the processing of the loans here. It's a very interesting thing.

(10-25-2016, 06:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That would be interesting. I mean, my experience is not on the financial institution side of things, but I know that from application to disbursement of the loan funds, no paper is used. When records are transmitted to and from lenders it is entirely in electronic form. For instance, our Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has virtually zero space for filing because it is all electronic and they handle the processing of the loans here. It's a very interesting thing.

To be fair, I do live in a small town and it's possible the bank president I spoke with has limited exposure.

It is a family owned bank and not corporate.
Kind of in this line of thinking, didn't a die hard movie villain attempt to do full reset? Called it a "fire sale".
(10-26-2016, 09:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: Kind of in this line of thinking, didn't a die hard movie villain attempt to do full reset? Called it a "fire sale".

Is he really a "villain"?  Or just somebody trying to make Amerika great again?  Ninja
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(10-26-2016, 09:39 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Is he really a "villain"?  Or just somebody trying to make Amerika great again?  Ninja

I am surprised no presidential candidate has offered to forgive all student loans, they would win in a landslide. As College tuition and Student loan debt continues to climb that is going to be a nuclear option for someone to pull out and win an election soon.

I don't support this by the way, just one of those things you'd expect someone to try.
(10-26-2016, 09:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am surprised no presidential candidate has offered to forgive all student loans, they would win in a landslide. As College tuition and Student loan debt continues to climb that is going to be a nuclear option for someone to pull out and win an election soon.

I don't support this by the way, just one of those things you'd expect someone to try.

Clinton and Sanders said they would lower interest rates on existing loans. But I don't recall any candidate saying they'd outright forgive them.
(10-26-2016, 10:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Clinton and Sanders said they would lower interest rates on existing loans. But I don't recall any candidate saying they'd outright forgive them.

That right there is the magic bullet haha.
(10-26-2016, 10:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Clinton and Sanders said they would lower interest rates on existing loans. But I don't recall any candidate saying they'd outright forgive them.

NM You're talking about already existing SL's.