Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The John Ross Dichotomy
(10-22-2020, 05:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: If you've been listening to the media, Bengal beat writers and podcasters, fans its hilarious how they go 180 degrees on the drop of a hat. When John Ross played all we heard was, "This guy cant catch" "He looks lost out there" "He is a complete bust"  "Put Tate in hes more dependable"

Then.....

When he is inactive and benched  the same people are saying "Why isn't John Ross playing, hes fast" "John is a first rounder and we aren't utilizing him" "We have a talent sitting on the bench other teams could use and we will regret it"

Where does everyone stand with the Ross dichotomy?

The media is just a bunch of complainers. None of them have ever been successful at anything, except complaining.

Just look at how the national media behaves.

Facts don't matter. Just twist them to suit an angle for a new complaint.

Ross is fast, he was a first rounder. But he also has awful hands, looks lost and is a classic bust. Yet, somehow, these morons in the media were able to figure out how to complain in both directions.

I wish they'd just complain about Mike Brown and his 30 years of misery, but they won't, not ever, target the real culprit. No different than the national media and the garbage they spew.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Ross has had more play on this board than he has on the field.

I would have given him a shot at returning punts, but since Mr. Confidence is requesting a trade, let him rot.
Reply/Quote
I keep telling myself he's ready to break out. I don't know why I have trouble giving up in this guy.. The speed I guess. It just hasn't translate well to the game. I wish they would give him a jet sweep or 2 a game.. Some Wr screens? Idk, all the shit they never do with him that they should..
Reply/Quote
Ross, at this point in his career, probably is what he will be.
He'll give you games with 100+ yards, but he'll also give you games with 20 yards or less.
It's frustrating during the lows, but it's exciting during the highs.

Some people are ok with someone being inconsistent like that because the highs are awesome.
Some people don't like inconsistency and would prefer someone who puts up a consistent 40 yards instead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 10:19 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I wish they'd just complain about Mike Brown and his 30 years of misery, but they won't, not ever, target the real culprit.

As soon as we were 0-6 or so the media started wondering if Burrow should avoid this franchise like the plague.

At any rate, Dalton didn't trust Ross and now that Burrow isn't throwing him the ball that should just about seal it.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 11:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As soon as we were 0-6 or so the media started wondering if Burrow should avoid this franchise like the plague.

At any rate, Dalton didn't trust Ross and now that Burrow isn't throwing him the ball that should just about seal it.

I don't get the guys still defending Ross. I mean the guy has 3 bad plays for every good play.

I mean it's like having a "really fast car" but it will only start 1 morning out of every four. Man if that thing would have only started I could have got there fast, here's to another walk to work.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 12:49 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't get the guys still defending Ross. I mean the guy has 3 bad plays for every good play.

I mean it's like having a "really fast car" but it will only start 1 morning out of every four. Man if that thing would have only started I could have got there fast, here's to another walk to work.

Bottom line is Burrow isn't throwing the ball to him or pounding the table to get him out there.  What else matters?

Burrow was going to resurrect Ross like ZT was going to resurrect Dalton.  Didn't happen, game over, moving on.  

Just put Ross' meaningful career next to our imaginary world titles from 05 and 15.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 11:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As soon as we were 0-6 or so the media started wondering if Burrow should avoid this franchise like the plague.

Ah, I agree with you 100%. Just look at my many comments regarding Ross over the his career here.

The media are clowns, which was my primary point.

Reply/Quote
Wasnt he #2 on the depth chart starter and then they just bench him. I think he was a bad pick the first time I seen him in our uniform, seeing that he looks like a small receiver. Hes not built like Andrew Hawkins either.

I've seen the guy show no effort sometimes,and times where your like what the heck did he even try or was he looking. But I think people forget he had like 7 redzone touchdowns which he was good at in college too. He has made some plays here. I dont think they try to get him involved enough. And that gets him not interested in the game. He probably feels like just a guy going through the motions out there. Just like green threw a fit not getting involved. But I also agree with another poster hes small so he dont want to get hit and obliterated out there.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 05:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: If you've been listening to the media, Bengal beat writers and podcasters, fans its hilarious how they go 180 degrees on the drop of a hat. When John Ross played all we heard was, "This guy cant catch" "He looks lost out there" "He is a complete bust"  "Put Tate in hes more dependable"

Then.....

When he is inactive and benched  the same people are saying "Why isn't John Ross playing, hes fast" "John is a first rounder and we aren't utilizing him" "We have a talent sitting on the bench other teams could use and we will regret it"

While Ross has shown very frustrating lapses in concentration and some key drops, at least he has flashed some amazing ability when the ball is in his hands. 

If we had a great RB, would you want the QB to only deliver it to him with timing, low %, 50 yard passes?  Why not manufacture some touches.  Use him in the screen game.  Use him in jet sweeps.  A more creative coaching staff would find a way to get him involved.

Be honest, does anyone see Auden Tate having a 5 reception, 150 yard, 2 TD kind of day?  Ross could do that.  I wouldn't give up on him just yet.  But it doesn't matter what I think as he doesn't seem like he will get another chance. 

When Michael Thomas dropped those two passes, all I could think was how they would kill Ross if that was him.  I understand he was overdrafted, but he did take the top off defenses and Boyd and Eifert thrived underneath.  
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 01:18 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Ah, I agree with you 100%. Just look at my many comments regarding Ross over the his career here.

The media are clowns, which was my primary point.

You said the media never points out that Mike Brown sucks at his job and I think they do, a lot.  When the media wonders if Burrow should pull an Eli they are clearly doing so due to 30 years of Mike Brown. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 08:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 3 offensive coordinators and two different head coaches.

Other young WRs like Boyd and Higgens have developed well under these coaches.

Coaches are not the issue with Ross.

Look at this Fred, we agree! Lol. When you can't get on the field under multiple coaching staffs that's not a coaching problem, that's a player problem. 
Reply/Quote
I agree with some of the other posters on here. Ross isn't any worse than Thomas and Erickson. Boyd and Tate was Burrows guys in Training Camp and for some reason Tate has been kicked to the curb. You only have Trent Irwin, Stanley Morgan and Scott Washington on the practice squad.

You might as well play Ross. At least use him to run screens, sweeps and use his speed as a decoy.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 10:53 PM)Destro Wrote: Ross has had more play on this board than he has on the field.

I would have given him a shot at returning punts, but since Mr. Confidence is requesting a trade, let him rot.

I'm not sure if I want to see someone with his hands and tendency to fumble back there receiving punts to be honest.

There's got to be at least one GM out there seduced by his speed and untapped promise. It's a shame Al Davis isn't still around.
Reply/Quote
I can’t believe we have fans still talking about John Ross and his 2 fluke games from early in 2019

How desperate are all of you? He’s a loser and a bust. Get over it
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 05:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When Michael Thomas dropped those two passes, all I could think was how they would kill Ross if that was him.

Don't forget that terrible fumble he had.

But he's one a Zach's guys, so he's always going to keep his spot.  God forbid we activated Ross and Tate, and deactivated him.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 08:23 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: I'm not sure if I want to see someone with his hands and tendency to fumble back there receiving punts to be honest.

There's got to be at least one GM out there seduced by his speed and untapped promise. It's a shame Al Davis isn't still around.

Raiders don’t even need him anyway. They just took Ruggs this past draft.

Reply/Quote

Then.....

Desperate times will allow any thoughts for a quick solution. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not a Ross fan...he's a crappy receiver. That being said though, it's not his fault the coaches can't figure out a way to use his speed. Jet sweeps, misdirection plays, quick screens, etc. It's almost embarrassing that they couldn't find a way to get the ball in his hands, especially on a team that has zero speed on offense.

Look at how other teams use their specialized speed guys that aren't great wide receivers.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 05:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not a big John Ross fan.  Shocker, I know.  That said, I do wonder if he can, or could have, been better used.

I think we can agree that he's proven that he can't play the role of a traditional 1st or 2nd option.  He drops too many passes, he's not dependable, and he's really too small to go up and outwork guys for balls.

But I really have to wonder, could we not do more to play to his strengths?  Why not run more things for like: hitch routes, quick outs, reverses?  Why not try him as a punt or kick returner?

I just think the creativity has been sorely lacking.  And as much as I'm ready to move on, and I've long been willing to label him a complete bust, I still think he's talented enough to be worthy of seeing some use week to week.

If I'm being honest, I would take an active John Ross over an active Mike Thomas 10/10 out of times.  Obviously a lot of people on here disagree, and so does the coaching staff, so maybe I'm just wrong.  But I still believe this staff, along with the previous one, did a terrible job getting him involved.  

They both try to use him like a tradional receiver, and he's just not.  And having streak down the sideline isn't nearly creative enough to take full advantage of his speed and quickness.  I would not at all be surpised to see him go elsewhere and carve out a unique role for himself.

This is my take as well but after thinking about it more...you just don't really know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe he is just not willing to put in the work at all and has a terrible attitude? There just seems to be something else going on here. There's a reason Marvin put him in the doghouse and how he can't get on the field under ZT. Guy seems like a bum. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote