No
91.30%
21 91.30%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Relate to "Confederate Flag"?
The Emacipation Proclamation was a war measure submitted three years after the start of the CW.

And it wasn't until after the war that slavery was banned via the 14th amendment.

"I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861.

" My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln

Britain was getting cotton on the cheap from the South, which possessed more harbors than the North. The federal govt didn't collect income taxes at the time and relied mostly on tariffs, which the South were circumventing. im sure if you put down your ( Federal ) govt issued history book, you may find there's more to the CW than slavery. And by no means do I dare understate the role slavery played. I'm simply trying to amplify the causes in their entirety. Reducing the war to slavery is simply innacurate.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(07-08-2015, 08:52 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: The Emacipation Proclamation was a war measure submitted three years after the start of the CW.

And it wasn't until after the war that slavery was banned via the 14th amendment.

"I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861.

" My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln

Britain was getting cotton on the cheap from the South, which possessed more harbors than the North. The federal govt didn't collect income taxes at the time and relied mostly on tariffs, which the South were circumventing. im sure if you put down your ( Federal ) govt issued history book, you may find there's more to the CW than slavery. And by no means do I dare understate the role slavery played. I'm simply trying to amplify the causes in their entirety. Reducing the war to slavery is simply innacurate.

DA, you're not telling anyone here something they didn't know with this post.  We all know the war was not strictly about slavery.  It was about state versus federal government dominance, hence the fact that the south formed a confederacy when they betrayed the, federal, United States.  However, paramount amongst the topics causing this dispute was slavery.  So, was it the only issue at hand, no, but it was chief amongst them and stating otherwise is false.
(07-08-2015, 07:39 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Nah. If you wanna sum up the war in one line, it was about the federal govt flexing its might. If it were solely about slavery, Then that practice woulda been over in the North. But it wasn't. 

The South thought the election of Lincoln meant that slavery was going to end. They even say that the reason is slavery in the secession declarations. The grievances listed in the first one, from South Carolina, all mention slavery. South Carolina first states that the federal government is ignoring federal law by letting states exercise their own right to ignore the fugitive slave act and refuse to send slaves back when they escape to the North. So in a hilarious backwards argument, South Carolina says "the federal government is acting unconstitutionally and ignoring states rights by... letting states have the right to do what they want with escaped slaves".

Me saying the reason is "slavery" doesn't mean I'm saying "the North was going to end slavery". The South was worried that they would and seceded. Not to mention all but 3 states that stayed in the Union had already abolished slavery... so yea.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I relate to in the sense that I enjoy reading American history, studying it and collecting bits and pieces of it. I've always been fascinated by the Civil War and the major characters in it.

I have a few confederate flag items I've picked up from trips to Virginia, Georgia and the Carolinas.

Some friends took that to mean I like the flag and now I have a collection of shot glasses with it on them.

I think the reason it is so popular, is the long lasting damage and animosity caused by the failure of Reconstruction.
I actually own a Confederate flag.
In 7th grade we studied the war and did a little reenactment type deal. I was assigned to the south.
This was about a year after the South Park episode "Red Badge of Gayness" first aired.
I had my teacher petrified I was going to screw it up and "win" simply because I hated being assigned to the predetermined losers.
He gave me the flag we had used afterwards because I was one of the few kids who actually put in the effort to make it worthwhile.
(07-08-2015, 09:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: DA, you're not telling anyone here something they didn't know with this post.  We all know the war was not strictly about slavery.  It was about state versus federal government dominance, hence the fact that the south formed a confederacy when they betrayed the, federal, United States.  However, paramount amongst the topics causing this dispute was slavery.  So, was it the only issue at hand, no, but it was chief amongst them and stating otherwise is false.

I would hope so, friend. I realize most here are fairly intelligent and I tend to read too much into things at times. Plus I am the devils advocate after all Ninja
The Civil War was a long time coming. We see the evidence of its beginnings in the Constitutional Conventions with the differences culturally, economically, philosophically even, between the northern representatives and the southern representatives. It's interesting to think how much New England was a land of religious fervor and the South was less so, a switch from today.

Anyway, if it hadn't been slavery there would have been another excuse. But. because our founding fathers essentially said "let those future guys deal with it" on that particular issue it was the one of many differences between the two halves of our country that served as the catalyst for secession and, in response, war.
(07-08-2015, 05:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Nothing like attacking prejudice and intolerance with your own prejudice and intolerance........ :snark:

You are right.  I read that in the context of the other religious statements and associated incorrectly.

My apologies. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-09-2015, 07:41 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The Civil War was a long time coming. We see the evidence of its beginnings in the Constitutional Conventions with the differences culturally, economically, philosophically even, between the northern representatives and the southern representatives. It's interesting to think how much New England was a land of religious fervor and the South was less so, a switch from today.

Anyway, if it hadn't been slavery there would have been another excuse. But. because our founding fathers essentially said "let those future guys deal with it" on that particular issue it was the one of many differences between the two halves of our country that served as the catalyst for secession and, in response, war.

It really is interesting.  Especially how things change.  Neither party would recognize one another today.
(07-08-2015, 09:14 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I actually own a Confederate flag.
In 7th grade we studied the war and did a little reenactment type deal. I was assigned to the south.
This was about a year after the South Park episode "Red Badge of Gayness" first aired.
I had my teacher petrified I was going to screw it up and "win" simply because I hated being assigned to the predetermined losers.
He gave me the flag we had used afterwards because I was one of the few kids who actually put in the effort to make it worthwhile.

Bengals and Reds fan are ya?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021