Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The League Taught Taylor and Other HiCs a Lesson Today.
(01-06-2023, 10:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, 8 December 1941

“I fear all the NFL has done is to awaken a playoff team and fill them with a terrible resolve.”

- FiK, 6 January 2023

Hell yeah.  I can't wait for Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:40 PM)samhain Wrote: Hell yeah.  I can't wait for Sunday.

Well, I admit I've done a 180 on this. I let some ither poster have it for conspiratorial talk earlier in the week about how the NFL was gonna screw us over. Now, I owe that poster an apology. Though they did not advance the revenge for going rogue theory, I totally buy in. 

I thought they would either: 

1) Just go by winning percentage (follow the rules)
2) Make it so that any PO game between teams whose seeding COULD have been impacted by how the Bills/Bengals game finished would be either at a neutral site/or decided by coin flip (be as fair as possible). 

But they did not do either one of those things. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I wouldn't even have an issue with the coin flip thing if it didn't just apply to one situation. Why doesn't it apply to the AFCCG if the Bengals play the Bills or Chiefs...since the cancellation took away any opportunity for the Bengals to get the #1 seed? McKay said that idea wasn't considered in the final talks. If the idea of the coin flip was to be equitable to a team who lost out on an opportunity because of the cancellation...it seems that scenario should qualify as well.

I think if we play the Chiefs or Bills, we should have to go on the road because they have the better record. The same should apply to the Ravens with us. That's the fairest way to handle an unfair situation, IMO. The records are what they are now. Opportunities have been lost. It is what is is. These new 'solution' just made the situation far more convoluted than it ever needed to be.

Brought to you by the same people that have made a simple catch a convoluted thing... Great sport; terrible league, and leadership.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 11:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, I admit I've done a 180 on this. I let some ither poster have it for conspiratorial talk earlier in the week about how the NFL was gonna screw us over. Now, I owe that poster an apology. Though they did not advance the revenge for going rogue theory, I totally buy in. 

I thought they would either: 

1) Just go by winning percentage (follow the rules)
2) Make it so that any PO game between teams whose seeding COULD have been impacted by how the Bills/Bengals game finished would be either at a neutral site/or decided by coin flip (be as fair as possible). 

But they did not do either one of those things. 

Well, I guess I'm incredibly naive.  

I really thought that if Hamlin was doing better than expected (he is), that the two teams would be motivated to resume the game at some point, as would the league.  It would have been a hassle, but the results would have been a lot less questionable than they will be if some of the new rules need to be applied.  
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, 8 December 1941

“I fear all the NFL has done is to awaken a playoff team and fill them with a terrible resolve.”

- FiK, 6 January 2023

You're not the (naval) leader of the enemy though Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:23 PM)jason Wrote: I keep hearing that this was unprecedented... It was horrid but definitely precedented. The OP listed examples, and if that's not good enough there was old dude from the Lions in the 70s. The NFL wanted that game finished, and they're fully in CYA mode (per usual).

Well I guess everybody has their own perception of unprecedented. A regular season game has never been stopped and never resumed. Ever! This late in the season compounded things.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Reading through this thread, maybe it is a sign that I am not as hardcore of a fan anymore. Or, maybe I just have faith in this team no matter what. I just don't care about the solution. It doesn't really bother me in any way. I don't know. It also might be due to the fact that I think Cincinnati did the right thing. I would hope they would offer the same if it all happened again.

I will say that there are many people that keep yelling "Just follow the rules" but also neglect the fact that the rules also say that Goodell can modify the procedures in any way that he sees fit. That's exactly what he did, as well.
Reply/Quote
I cannot confirm nor deny this take.

Bottom line is the Bengals got screwed by not being able to play the game. I think Taylor did the right thing and it makes him look like a good human being.

Because of this, I think we gained supporters.

We may have lost playoff position (and potentially Burrow's MVP), but we gained the support of everyday fans.

How we react to being screwed over will win over more fans. I sense a fire about to explode. We're gunna cakewalk the AFC.
Reply/Quote
People die all the time. I doubt Walmart shuts down when the greeter drops dead on the clock. If Walmart cashiers can mentally perform after a death, why can’t NFL players? This is an unpopular opinion, but they should have either finished the game or rescheduled it.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:14 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Followed the rules and went by winning percentage like our owners have stated all over the news. Try to pay attention.

This seems way too logical.  Follow the established rules.  If they aren't best and you realize it, change them AFTER the season.
Changing established rules is really not much different than obviously biased refs steering games.  Any long term fan of the Bengals have seen this beyond a doubt particularly vs the steelers.
Reply/Quote
What should have been done (after the ambulance left) is to put the onus on the Bills since it was an event that directly impacted their team. Delay the game for 30 minutes or an hour and ask them if they are able to continue. They can contemplate this in the privacy of their locker room. If they come back out on the field within the allotted time, then game on. If not, then forfeit- and everybody moves on. No shame in a forfeit due to extenuating circumstances. I'm sure if the roles were reversed, this is what the league would have done.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:26 AM)Interceptor Wrote: What should have been done (after the ambulance left) is to put the onus on the Bills since it was an event that directly impacted their team. Delay the game for 30 minutes or an hour and ask them if they are able to continue. They can contemplate this in the privacy of their locker room. If they come back out on the field within the allotted time, then game on. If not, then forfeit- and everybody moves on. No shame in a forfeit due to extenuating circumstances. I'm sure if the roles were reversed, this is what the league would have done.

Not sure the Bengals wanted to play either. Hopefully they have a provision next year if a game can’t be resumed or rescheduled. The simplest is a coin toss for the winner. If both teams agree then it is what it is.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I think the true motivations of the NFL were to make the games interesting this week.
I get that we could have rested starters this week, and we did get screwed, but at least we will be entertained!
I think the motivation will end up being valuable and I’m trying to focus on that.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:40 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Not sure the Bengals wanted to play either. Hopefully they have a provision next year if a game can’t be resumed or rescheduled. The simplest is a coin toss for the winner. If both teams agree then it is what it is.

I still live by backyard rules. Whoever was ahead before we were called in for dinner wins.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:51 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think the true motivations of the NFL were to make the games interesting this week.
I get that we could have rested starters this week, and we did get screwed, but at least we will be entertained!
I think the motivation will end up being valuable and I’m trying to focus on that.

I think that's possible, too.

Have to admit, I'm way more pumped for Sunday's game than I was before.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:14 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Reading through this thread, maybe it is a sign that I am not as hardcore of a fan anymore. Or, maybe I just have faith in this team no matter what. I just don't care about the solution. It doesn't really bother me in any way. I don't know. It also might be due to the fact that I think Cincinnati did the right thing. I would hope they would offer the same if it all happened again.

I will say that there are many people that keep yelling "Just follow the rules" but also neglect the fact that the rules also say that Goodell can modify the procedures in any way that he sees fit. That's exactly what he did, as well.

My only issue is that the rules modification appears to be purposely done to hurt the Bengals the most and parts of the "new rules" are completely and utterly illogical.

I hope teams in the future learn that they can be nice and supportive, but just make sure the other team understands they will have to resume, reschedule or forfeit.  We could have been supportive of the Bills not wanting to continue while also letting them know it will be a forfeit.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:18 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: People die all the time. I doubt Walmart shuts down when the greeter drops dead on the clock. If Walmart cashiers can mentally perform after a death, why can’t NFL players? This is an unpopular opinion, but they should have either finished the game or rescheduled it.

Yup, 100%!!
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:53 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I still live by backyard rules. Whoever was ahead before we were called in for dinner wins.

Lol, hell yeah! Hilarious
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 07:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What should they have done?

They should have followed the rules that are already in place in the rule book. A screen shot of the actual rule is on Joe Mix's twitter page if you feel like being enlightened and then pissed off.

There's nothing to argue. The rules are right there in black and white. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 01:32 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: They should have followed the rules that are already in place in the rule book. A screen shot of the actual rule is on Joe Mix's twitter page if you feel like being enlightened and then pissed off.

There's nothing to argue. The rules are right there in black and white. 

Which proves the #nflisrigged
Reply/Quote