Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The League Taught Taylor and Other HiCs a Lesson Today.
The competition committee largely consists of other NFL head coaches. I don’t think it makes sense to argue that they were punishing the Bengals for declining to play. One could argue that was relevant to the owners’ approval though.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:40 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Not sure the Bengals wanted to play either. Hopefully they have a provision next year if a game can’t be resumed or rescheduled. The simplest is a coin toss for the winner.  If both teams agree then it is what it is.

The question wasn't if the Bengals wanted to play, it was whether the Bills could continue since this event was from their side. 

But for next year and beyond, I think go back to the 16 game schedule and put a week in between the last regular season game and the first playoff game to reserve it for any games that needed to be rescheduled. Something like that.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 02:20 PM)Interceptor Wrote: But for next year and beyond, I think go back to the 16 game schedule and put a week in between the last regular season game and the first playoff game to reserve it for any games that needed to be rescheduled. Something like that.

I doubt the NFL want to go back from the current $eventeen game $chedule.  Heck there have already been rumors of going to an 18 game $chedule.    :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 02:25 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I doubt the NFL want to go back from the current $eventeen game $chedule.  Heck there have already been rumors of going to an 18 game $chedule.    :)

The cycle never ends....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 11:14 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Reading through this thread, maybe it is a sign that I am not as hardcore of a fan anymore. Or, maybe I just have faith in this team no matter what. I just don't care about the solution. It doesn't really bother me in any way. I don't know. It also might be due to the fact that I think Cincinnati did the right thing. I would hope they would offer the same if it all happened again.

I will say that there are many people that keep yelling "Just follow the rules" but also neglect the fact that the rules also say that Goodell can modify the procedures in any way that he sees fit. That's exactly what he did, as well.

Exactly!  A good ole Goodell screw job to the Bengals.  Why?  Because he could!  Always nice to have the proverbial * of king power.  Has he ever done that in mid season before (changed the rules)?  I don't think so, not even during Covid to my knowledge, all games were played.

You think he would have done the same to the Dallas Cowboys?  I'd like to think so but something tells me nope.  I'll bet they would have just followed the rules as written.

And here's another take:  Basically they put a deviation in place for this season only.  If not prepared to do the same thing permanently in the offseason, change the rules, then the action should not have been taken.  And do you think they will make a permanent change that states when a player experiences a life-threatening situation teams may elect to stop play and take a "No Contest"?  I'll answer, no chance.  It would literally happen every time there is a head/neck injury.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 07:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Do you not see a difference here?

Guy was on the field in front of players. Sean McDermott told Zac he felt he needed to be at the hospital with his guy, and Zac seemed to agree. 

I don't know how many times this needs to be typed but this was not like anything prior. This was an ON-FIELD in game, guy was getting CPR performed on him. Lapham was on the air saying that he'd never seen this, every single person that was covering this game was saying how different this felt and how different this was.

Try this exercise out.

Let's take one of your siblings, a parent, someone you are close to and love and stop their heart in the middle of their normal life. You then have to watch as CPR is performed and they are carted away in an ambulance. Then you will be told nope, you may not go to the hospital you will go out and focus and do your job and you better do it to the highest level possible.

This is just insane around here over what, playoff seeding??? This team went to the Super Bowl last year after 1 home game, they've shown they can handle it. 

Yet for some reason, the fans here can't handle it.

There are firemen that at times can't get out of a building and die while their brothers are not allowed to enter for safety reasons. There are law enforcement who die on the job in front of their fellow officers or whatever be the case. These things unfortunately happen yet somehow they continue to do what they do in the face of the tragic events they've witnessed. 

I was at a high school hockey game a few years back when a puck struck a player in the chest and the situation was very similar to what happened the other night. EMT's came onto the ice. The young kid was motionless. His parents rushed down onto the ice. It was terrible. No one knew what had happened when he was rushed out of the rink only that it looked potentially life threatening. And yet somehow that game continued and the 15-17 year old kids that had to witness that went on to  finish the game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 02:40 PM)firedog Wrote: There are firemen that at times can't get out of a building and die while their brothers are not allowed to enter for safety reasons. There are law enforcement who die on the job in front of their fellow officers or whatever be the case. These things unfortunately happen yet somehow they continue to do what they do in the face of the tragic events they've witnessed. 

I was at a high school hockey game a few years back when a puck struck a player in the chest and the situation was very similar to what happened the other night. EMT's came onto the ice. The young kid was motionless. His parents rushed down onto the ice. It was terrible. No one knew what had happened when he was rushed out of the rink only that it looked potentially life threatening. And yet somehow that game continued and the 15-17 year old kids that had to witness that went on to  finish the game. 

It’s hard to compare these situations. To me it didn’t look like the game could have resumed
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 02:20 PM)Interceptor Wrote: The question wasn't if the Bengals wanted to play, it was whether the Bills could continue since this event was from their side. 

But for next year and beyond, I think go back to the 16 game schedule and put a week in between the last regular season game and the first playoff game to reserve it for any games that needed to be rescheduled. Something like that.

I think the revenue lost negates that. They should just have a rule that a game that can’t be resumed or made up is either a tie or do a coin flip.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 01:52 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Which proves the #nflisrigged

I think alloying sports betting was the beginning of the issues.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: McKay's logic on the 'coin flip' aspect is a bit of a head scratcher. He stated that if the Ravens beat the Bengals twice, the equitable thing to do is to have the coin flip so the Ravens have a chance at a home playoff game...even though the Bengals won the division and would still have the better record.

Even under regular circumstances, it doesn't matter if you beat a division rival twice if they finish with a better record. You don't get a bonus opportunity at a home playoff game for sweeping them during the season. 

Then we obviously should have flipped a coin last year and let the Browns into the playoffs IN Cleveland with a definite losing record..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 02:20 PM)Interceptor Wrote: The question wasn't if the Bengals wanted to play, it was whether the Bills could continue since this event was from their side. 

Or keep it 17 games, add the week and just have one more week.  Football season is already super short.
Reply/Quote
Just want to say to you all.  I don't think the  NFL is rigged like WWF.  But after seeing what just happened I will never be able to be convinced that they don't try to work out things to maximize their profit the best they can short of flat out rigging.

Not only did the NFL just willfully and purposefully ignore their own rulebook, but they also went against any and all precedent set about changing the rules in the middle of the season.  And then they came up with complicated, illogical rules to replace the rules they already had in place.

For those that say this was unprecedented.........................Yes, in the fact that Hamlin could have died, but no in the fact that it was just a cancelled game and there are rules in place for cancelled games.

Definitely something weird going on.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 02:40 PM)firedog Wrote: There are firemen that at times can't get out of a building and die while their brothers are not allowed to enter for safety reasons. There are law enforcement who die on the job in front of their fellow officers or whatever be the case. These things unfortunately happen yet somehow they continue to do what they do in the face of the tragic events they've witnessed. 

As stated earlier, there is a known risk as a firefighter that you are in a life a death situation and could die. It is tragic but if they stop working people die.

No one dies because a football game wasn't played. It's a terrible comparison and not similar in any way other than guys mourning someone they loved and worked with. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 09:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: As stated earlier, there is a known risk as a firefighter that you are in a life a death situation and could die. It is tragic but if they stop working people die.

No one dies because a football game wasn't played. It's a terrible comparison and not similar in any way other than guys mourning someone they loved and worked with. 

All the NFL had to do was follow their own rules in their own rulebook that they themselves voted on.

What just happened was as close to rigging as you can get.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 07:45 PM)samhain Wrote: Rescheduling the game.  No forfeit, no rule change.  Determine outcomes with on field play.

When would you do that? A day later? Two days? Make the players play again on short for the last game of the season? Yeah….that wouldn’t put the players’ health more at risk.

Y’all got too much time on your hands and are more worried about your football fix and get carried way away.

Be happy Damar is getting better and that coaches and players fully support everything the Bengals and Bills did. The rest of all this is just noise.

I think the extra rest and less bodily wear and tear on our players is a plus for us.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:50 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: When would you do that?  A day later?   Two days?  Make the players play again on short for the last game of the season?  Yeah….that wouldn’t put the players’ health more at risk.

Y’all got too much time on your hands and are more worried about your football fix and get carried way away.

Be happy Damar is getting better and that coaches and players fully support everything the Bengals and Bills did.  The rest of all this is just noise.

I think the extra rest and less bodily wear and tear on our players is a plus for us.

Your personal insults and virtue signaling are both inappropriate and irrelevant to the discussion.  Whatever makes you feel good, I suppose.

They could have rescheduled as proposed by playing the game during the wild card round and pushing the AFC games to the next week, giving the other teams the off week that the Bengals and Bills involuntarily had..  Abridge the off week before the Super Bowl.  There is precedent.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:50 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: When would you do that?  A day later?   Two days?  Make the players play again on short for the last game of the season?  Yeah….that wouldn’t put the players’ health more at risk.

Be happy Damar is getting better and that coaches and players fully support everything the Bengals and Bills did.  The rest of all this is just noise.

I can do both at the same time, guy. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

OMG! It’s come to this. Comparing fallen police and firemen, who work tirelessly to protect the public, as that’s their job. They can’t ignore a house on fire. They can’t ignore someone being shot at. They have to go back to work.

Honoring a football player who nearly lost his life, on the field, is not life or death.

We have officially crossed over into crazy town!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 02:34 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I can do both at the same time, guy. 

Couldn’t prove that by me! Play football, don’t care if one of the players nearly died on the field, play football. Doesn’t matter that the players were stunned and devastated. Play football. Doesn’t matter that both coaches pulled their teams off the field, “F” them. Get them back out there and play football.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 01:11 AM)samhain Wrote: Your personal insults and virtue signaling are both inappropriate and irrelevant to the discussion.  Whatever makes you feel good, I suppose.

They could have rescheduled as proposed by playing the game during the wild card round and pushing the AFC games to the next week, giving the other teams the off week that the Bengals and Bills involuntarily had..  Abridge the off week before the Super Bowl.  There is precedent.  

So, in addition to the tragedy on the field, you want to see that football game. To do so, you want to unravel the entire playoff schedule, of every other team in the playoffs?

Yeah…I’m feeling more virtuous by the minute.
Reply/Quote