Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Little Things Add Up To Championships
I was listening to Bill Belichick's press conference this morning after winning his 5th SB as a head coach. When asked if he ever relaxes especially after the win before next season his response was priceless. "We are already 5 weeks behind everyone else in preparation for the 2017 season."

Made me shake my head and think, thats why your a champion. I bet Marvin is still marinating a rack of ribs for his Valentines Day buffet. Thats one small piece of the puzzle(other than the obvious ones) why the Patriots are in it year after year and we can't even win ONE playoff game.

I've read in countless articles how Lewis is looking for another extension and will most likely get it but us as fans who have no control over day to day operations in the Bengals organization, but we do have control over one thing. Our expectations. Nothing worse than getting your hopes up, only to end up in the same place year after year.

I don't care who we draft or pick up in FA, Marvin isn't going to coach them up the right way and in the right atmosphere to win. So the waiting game will continue...
Reply/Quote
There is also that small factor where the Patriots stunk and then a new owner came in and changed things.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 04:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is also that small factor where the Patriots stunk and then a new owner came in and changed things.

True, and we know thats never going to happen in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 04:53 PM)GodFather Wrote: I was listening to Bill Belichick's press conference this morning after winning his 5th SB as a head coach. When asked if he ever relaxes especially after the win before next season his response was priceless. "We are already 5 weeks behind everyone else in preparation for the 2017 season."

Made me shake my head and think, thats why your a champion. I bet Marvin is still marinating a rack of ribs for his Valentines Day buffet. Thats one small piece of the puzzle(other than the obvious ones) why the Patriots are in it year after year and we can't even win ONE playoff game.

I've read in countless articles how Lewis is looking for another extension and will most likely get it but us as fans who have no control over day to day operations in the Bengals organization, but we do have control over one thing. Our expectations. Nothing worse than getting your hopes up, only to end up in the same place year after year.

I don't care who we draft or pick up in FA, Marvin isn't going to coach them up the right way and in the right atmosphere to win. So the waiting game will continue...

I'm struggling mightily to continue with this team as it is. Marvin getting an extension is just beyond my ability to comprehend !

And agree 1000% with the it's not going to matter thing. In order for this team to turn it around a whole new philosophy must be adopted, a whole new culture. Marvin is done, he has no chance to turn this thing around !
Reply/Quote
I just don't understand it. As a head coach, Marvin knows what it takes to win but sticks with the "just enough" attitude to keep him and Mike B in good standings. He coached under great teams and knows the attitude and demands you have to instill and expect from a team if you want to win championships. He will be no better tomorrow than he was yesterday because he believes he is smarter than those before him. When he came here there was so much promise. His progression was also promising and then it hit a plateau. That was the ceiling. It was also done with ridiculous high risk players. Not to mention all the friggin drama he caused us fans who had to face the damn ridicule the Bengals organization caused. It was humiliating and most of us hung in there, grinding our teeth and mostly holding our tempers awaiting the day we could be proud.

I now have an upper plate. GTFO!

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 04:53 PM)GodFather Wrote: I was listening to Bill Belichick's press conference this morning after winning his 5th SB as a head coach. When asked if he ever relaxes especially after the win before next season his response was priceless. "We are already 5 weeks behind everyone else in preparation for the 2017 season."

Belichick/Brady just epitomise that quote about genius being 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

So relentless in following a process of preparation that means they try and do everything in their control to succeed.   Even by the huge work ethic of the NFL they stand out...

For mortals it must be exhausting to work in that environment - thats why i think some players just do not fit there and some so called 'lesser talents' thrive ....its not the 40 yard speed, or the height /weight ..its your appetite to work and adhere to the plan that defines your success there, not your previous achievements or media presence
Reply/Quote
We used to have that fire. We used to embrace the hate we got and turn it into amazing play

Now we play like childish dumbasses and couldn't care less about the game. Marvin lost the locker room years ago. How hes still here ill never know
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 09:59 PM)Housh Wrote: We used to have that fire. We used to embrace the hate we got and turn it into amazing play

Now we play like childish dumbasses and couldn't care less about the game. Marvin lost the locker room years ago. How hes still here ill never know

Because of a lazy front office who would rather keep things status quo to make less work and drama for themselves. 

Besides..they think, we're competitive....enough....
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 09:59 PM)Housh Wrote: We used to have that fire. We used to embrace the hate we got and turn it into amazing play

I mean. This is the same owner who has only fired one offensive coordinator and demoted one, which was Ken Anderson.

He also only fired 3 head coaches since 1991. Sam Wyche. Dave Shula. Dick LeBeau. Marvin Lewis has been here. Coslet resigned.

Shula lost 50 games faster than any other NFL coach in history. Took him 69 games. He went 19-52. Took 5 and a half seasons to fire him.

But yet he fired Wyche after having a down year. Wyche's first time being under .500 since 1987.

Oh, and he brought Coslet back after he was 21-36 as a Bengals coach. Before that he went 26-38 with the Jets.

Mike Brown is too loyal. Always has been. Always will be.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Belichick talks and acts like a winner. Marvin talks and acts like a loser. That's it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 12:03 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Belichick talks and acts like a winner. Marvin talks and acts like a loser. That's it.

Marvin talks like the simpleton you pat on the head and smile telling him "Everything will be alright"
Reply/Quote
For all the ball washing about New England.....and this is going to sound like major sour grapes.....remember that they were two INCREDIBLY STUPID plays (Seattle pass at 1 yard line, Falcons don't run middle twice, kick FG to go up 10) from being an 0-4 in their last four Super Bowls...

Sure, they got there but it is as though people make them sound unchallenged...that couldn't be further from the truth.

As far as how they did it? Great scheme. Great execution. Pathetic division. Lots of home field throughout...

If the Bengals want to win a Super Bowl, they need more competition at each position and no one should feel like they have it made no matter what. That, and their coaching staff would either need to be replaced, or stop playing so damn conservative. They play not to lose from the opening kick, and that is a loser's mentality.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 06:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: True, and we know thats never going to happen in Cincy.

Mike Brown won't live forever (can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not).
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 07:32 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Belichick/Brady just epitomise that quote about genius being 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

So relentless in following a process of preparation that means they try and do everything in their control to succeed.   Even by the huge work ethic of the NFL they stand out...

For mortals it must be exhausting to work in that environment - thats why i think some players just do not fit there and some so called 'lesser talents' thrive ....its not the 40 yard speed, or the height /weight ..its your appetite to work and adhere to the plan that defines your success there, not your previous achievements or media presence

There was also an Internet article (can't remember the source) about all of the Pats players having to run up the hills outside of their practice site. Even up to the couple of weeks before the SB. The Pats player quoted said that all of the players hate it but the do it 'cause BB tells them to. It was evident in the SB that the Falcon's D was worn out the the 4th quarter ... but not the Pats.

There's your 99% perspiration.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how mahvin's workouts go
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
To the OP--you hit the nail on the head. It's always about the details, going the extra mile, never stop chasing perfection.

Here, the mentality is we keep getting to the playoffs, why do they keep bitching? We ain't the 90's any more. But, in many ways, this is worse. We climbed outa hell but got stuck in purgatory.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

" I bet Marvin is still maintaining a rack of ribs for his Valentine's Day buffet ".....Why ribs ?  Why do you associate Bengals first black head coach with ribs ?  How do you know he eats ribs ?  Now I like ribs, I'm white, but I like ribs. I bet Bill Belichick probably would eat at Montgomery Inn or Old Hickory or Outback and try their ribs. 

I'll tell you what Marvin Lewis does, since Bengals have the fewest scouts of any NFL franchise.  Often Marvin Lewis is a coach of the Senior Bowl so he can scout and get a closer look.  When he doesn't get to coach the Senior Bowl, he is there scouting. He is scouting all over the place. He will be scouting at the combine. When he isn't scouting he is at Bengals facility as Bengals work out in off season. Mostly he is scouting. Marvin Lewis scouts more than any other coach Mike Brown ever had. Before Marvin Lewis this team was happy to draft off this Cincinnati drug store guys Drugstore List.  The results of drafting off this guys drug store list were horrible. So when Bill Belichick says he is already 5 weeks behind some coaches in preparing for 2017, that includes Marvin Lewis who has been out there scouting since Bengals last game.

Now if you want to find why we aren't as good as Patriots or Steelers, MIKE BROWN AND FAMILY.  The owners of the Patriots and Steelers are better football people than these blockheads running the Bengals.  Why do they have the fewest scouts of any NFL franchise ? Most teams have many, many scouts. Bengals have a couple. Why is that ? Mike Brown and Family are CHEAP. They have always been CHEAP. They will always be CHEAP. This is no SMALL THING. Mike Brown and Family are just TOO CHEAP...That Marvin Lewis has taken this franchise to play-offs 50 % of the time is amazing considering Mike Browns 4 other coaches never took Bengals to play-offs from Paul Brown dying to Marvin Lewis hired. When Dave Shula left he put the entire blame on Mike Brown saying no coach could win here, and no coach did until Lewis. Aim The Blame where it belongs, at the feet of Mike Brown and Family. Now I have no idea if Mike Brown and Family eat ribs. They do needs scouts and a GM, but they are too CHEAP to hire and pay them. More scouts would help this team, and we all know these knuckleheads are not going to hire a GM. We have the brain thrust of Paul Browns brother and children and in laws and grandchildren, the apples falling too far from the tree. Paul Brown knew football, they don't.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 06:29 PM)kevin Wrote: " I bet Marvin is still maintaining a rack of ribs for his Valentine's Day buffet ".....Why ribs ?  Why do you associate Bengals first black head coach with ribs ?  How do you know he eats ribs ?  Now I like ribs, I'm white, but I like ribs. I bet Bill Belichick probably would eat at Montgomery Inn or Old Hickory or Outback and try their ribs. 

I'll tell you what Marvin Lewis does, since Bengals have the fewest scouts of any NFL franchise.  Often Marvin Lewis is a coach of the Senior Bowl so he can scout and get a closer look.  When he doesn't get to coach the Senior Bowl, he is there scouting. He is scouting all over the place. He will be scouting at the combine. When he isn't scouting he is at Bengals facility as Bengals work out in off season. Mostly he is scouting. Marvin Lewis scouts more than any other coach Mike Brown ever had. Before Marvin Lewis this team was happy to draft off this Cincinnati drug store guys Drugstore List.  The results of drafting off this guys drug store list were horrible. So when Bill Belichick says he is already 5 weeks behind some coaches in preparing for 2017, that includes Marvin Lewis who has been out there scouting since Bengals last game.

Now if you want to find why we aren't as good as Patriots or Steelers, MIKE BROWN AND FAMILY.  The owners of the Patriots and Steelers are better football people than these blockheads running the Bengals. 

Marvin deserves plenty of the blame.  To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.  He's a blockhead too, which is why he fits in so well.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Yeah, i think we will have a competitive team next year and that is all MB gives a damn about.

Me, i am starting to get tired of this shit. If we re-sign Marv for another frickin' year and keep PA around...

It will speak volumes to all of us that MB doesn't give a shit about winning the big game. But we already knew that.

Another poster said something about needing to have that burn in your gut that you want to win more than anything.

It is clear we don't have that here. They have that in New England.

In a way i wish i won the lottery and could buy this team. The fans deserve an owner who gives a ****.
Reply/Quote
If you look at what Marvin and Bill say on weekly basis its basically the same thing. he'll the do your job slogan that the patriots have came from Marvin when the Bengal used it in 05 as their slogan. The work ethic and what is said in weekly press conferences  is not the issue with this team. The issue is simple this team never changes the way they do business/ once a risk fails they never take another one. That's the major problem with this team is that it is built not to lose not built to win. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote