Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
The Mahomes Vs. Burrow Debate
(07-03-2023, 11:03 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not speaking of anyone on this forum but my observations in life are that, on a large scale, white people want their black athletes to shut up and play and they want their white athletes to be socially aware. 

Not exactly scientific but i'm a pretty observant and i see loads of different people every day. 

This white person just wants all athletes (and actors) to shut up and play, and I don't care what color they are. I tune in to watch them ball, not to be lectured to about politics.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: LeBron has flat out said he doesn't like white people and doesn't want to be around them. That's his choice in a free country. But imagine if it were a white athlete that said that about black people. Think he's still be playing?

I’m not gonna accuse you of having ulterior motives to throw this out there but i have to attack this head on because this is a very insidious accusation. you’ve basically become a liar by excluding context, and i HOPE it’s simply because you didn’t know the context. But that would still not be a great excuse because to make a comment this firmly
I and everyone should expect you to do a Google search first.

You cannot tell me you are aware of the quote then turn around and tell me you turned blind deaf and dumb in regards to its context.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-lebron-james-white-people-idUSKBN23X287

He was on his HBO barbershop show and was talking about as a 14 year old, when he came from the hood and an all black school how he thought white ppl didn’t want anything to do with him so he said he didn’t want anything to do with white ppl either.

Later he says he was wrong and he has best friends that are white.

So how did you have awareness of the quote but no awareness of the context?

It’s maybe because you HEARD about that quote and because it confirmed what you wanted it to confirm you didn’t think to research it more.

Logically speaking do you seriously think LeBron as an adult could say he doesn’t like white ppl and it not be national news 24/7?

This type of context exclusion is why i do not like discussing topics online. Because ppl know the context and will still post this BS knowing it is BS.

Did you know about that Barbershop interview before posting this? I have to tell myself no because the flip side is you did know and still posted this to be a dick, which probably means you just hate LeBron or an even more insidious motivation.

LeBron has plenty to shit on him about. 4-12 in finals isn’t bad but it isn’t good. He flops. He started the superteam era. You don’t have to lie on him to shit on him.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 01:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This white person just wants all athletes (and actors) to shut up and play, and I don't care what color they are. I tune in to watch them ball, not to be lectured to about politics.

If you don't like it, change the channel or mute it when play isn't happening.

This has been the big difference in the social media era.
It's given more people a platform to share their views/opinions, and some people don't like that.

It wasn't necessarily that athletes didn't have those views/opinions back then either, it's more that it wasn't as accessible to the fans.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: LeBron has flat out said he doesn't like white people and doesn't want to be around them. That's his choice in a free country. But imagine if it were a white athlete that said that about black people. Think he's still be playing?

Really? Didn't know Lebron went that far...

Talk about the R word lol
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 04:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you don't like it, change the channel or mute it when play isn't happening.

This has been the big difference in the social media era.
It's given more people a platform to share their views/opinions, and some people don't like that.

It wasn't necessarily that athletes didn't have those views/opinions back then either, it's more that it wasn't as accessible to the fans.

I did, I haven't watched an NBA game in decades.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 05:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I did, I haven't watched an NBA game in decades.

I used to watch the NBA a ton myself, not much anymore, but I did watch some of the Finals this year because the Nuggets were in it.

The NBA seemed rigged big time for years with the Lakers always going to the Finals. And yeah, when they bring politics into the game 
it DOES mess with their ratings big time as Nepa said. If they were smart they would of never went the way they did. People watch sports
to get away from that crap and this is a fact.
Reply/Quote
I didnt mean to start the MJ vs Lebeon argument.

Space Jam was a hundred times better than Space Jam: A New Legacy... that breaks the stalemate lol. I heard that Shaq ended the 98-99 lockout by threatening to do Kazaam 2.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

That was taken out of context. Voicing his thoughts when he was 14 years old and arrived at an all white Catholic high school. Riley Cooper dropped an N bomb on camera and kept playing. So yes... I think a white guy could in theory say that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really? Didn't know Lebron went that far...

Talk about the R word lol

It’s not true.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 11:44 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: It’s not true.

Well, it is kinda true. But it was him bringing up his thoughts as a kid. 

Personally, I dig the candor, but he did voice that opinion. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 05:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I didnt mean to start the MJ vs Lebeon argument.

Space Jam was a hundred times better than Space Jam: A New Legacy... that breaks the stalemate lol. I heard that Shaq ended the 98-99 lockout by threatening to do Kazaam 2.

Woof, that was a terrible show ha ha

That could do it. Smirk
Reply/Quote
So this thread needs to go to RSP?

Or...we can go back to talking about the original topic.

You can tell from Mahomes latest remarks he knows the Chiefs got really lucky with favorable calls in the AFCCG last season- they should be 0-4 against Burrow not 1-3. He wants to play us because he is a competitor and wants his shots at evening things up. Burrow likewise wants to play them because he knows we got jobbed by the refs and wants to erase that stain. Once they play we'll know.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: So this thread needs to go to RSP?

You can tell from Mahomes latest remarks he knows the Chiefs got really lucky with favorable calls in the AFCCG last season- they should be 0-4 against Burrow not 1-3. He wants to play us because he is a competitor and wants his shots at evening things up. Burrow likewise wants to play them because he knows we got jobbed by the refs and wants to erase that stain. Once they play we'll know.

I’ll help because I’m a sucker for inputting my 2 cents on stuff like that

Mahommes sucks

There we go. Let’s get it back on track lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Idk if lucky is the word I would use.  

I think our season ended when Collins and Cappa went down.  it took away the battering ram play with Perine that everyone knew was coming yet still couldn't stop on short yardage downs.  That wrinkle hurt us bad.  

The Bengals should get credit for getting as far as they did with the collection off backups they ran out there up front.  It's tough to beat a team like that with Chris Jones out there playing the game of his life.

I think the organization has done themselves a big favor keeping as many quality tackles as they have.  They are now 4 deep with capable OTs.  This is overlooked brilliance in the present tense.  Over the course of a full season, it's a different story.  If Jonah or god forbid OBJ goes down, you have a battle tested Carman and a potential beast in Collins waiting in the wings.  That's a far cry from Adeniji and Prince.  IMO, this is the difference maker in 2023.  

Good OL are hard to come by at this level.  It's rare to have that many at once.  I wouldn't let go of a single one of them.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 10:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There are 6 Sharknado movies and 3 spin-off movies. Doesn't mean they're good.

Ninja

It means they make money, right?
Reply/Quote

Hey, we get to play them at least once this year, probably twice. We will see who is the top team in the AFC and I am betting on our guys.

So true about Mahomes and Burrow. Of course they always want to play each other. All great players want to play against the best.
Reply/Quote

And Burrow missed a bunch of games in ‘20
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 10:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:
And Burrow missed a bunch of games in ‘20

Yeah, a lot of people say that Joe is responsible for a lot of those (and he might be), but I cringe when I hear people say that Mahommes could get out of those.  I think Joe reads the field VERY quickly, and has adapted repeatedly to what teams try to do against him, all while having much less time than Mahommes.  

It is like Mahommes never lost that Super Bowl to the Pats and had a horrible game.  He gets a pass because his line was beat up.  That is pretty much all Burrow has had until now.

I absolutely can't wait for this season.  I'm really excited for Chase Brown as well to see if the rushing attack can't make teams pay more consistently when they keep safeties back.  
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2023, 10:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, a lot of people say that Joe is responsible for a lot of those (and he might be), but I cringe when I hear people say that Mahommes could get out of those.  I think Joe reads the field VERY quickly, and has adapted repeatedly to what teams try to do against him, all while having much less time than Mahommes.  

It is like Mahommes never lost that Super Bowl to the Pats and had a horrible game.  He gets a pass because his line was beat up.  That is pretty much all Burrow has had until now.

I absolutely can't wait for this season.  I'm really excited for Chase Brown as well to see if the rushing attack can't make teams pay more consistently when they keep safeties back.  

Agree on all fronts. I said this a few weeks ago. I think Burrow is less Madden 24. I think we’ve defended Mahomes well. He needs improvisation. I think Joe is more deliberate than Patrick and maybe more patient as well. . I think with an OL like Patrick’s had Joe reverses the NFL universe’s opinion. We beat the Rams and KC last year and rule the NFL world with 2 straight SB’s. If the OL finally comes through the offense will graduate from a prop to a jet.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2023, 10:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, a lot of people say that Joe is responsible for a lot of those (and he might be), but I cringe when I hear people say that Mahommes could get out of those.  I think Joe reads the field VERY quickly, and has adapted repeatedly to what teams try to do against him, all while having much less time than Mahommes.  

Yes, there is absolutely a bias for Mahomes because he won a couple Super Bowls. We need to tilt this Burrow's way and I think this 
is the year it happens. Look out with Burrow having some time and a RB who is willing to pick up the blitz and has good vision and 
hands. Chase Brown is exactly what this Offense needed. If we can gash teams in the running game this could be the best Offense 
in the league this year for sure as long as they stay somewhat healthy.

There is a reason Orlando Brown came here and it DOES hurt Mahomes and the Chefs. Taylor is not a LT...
Reply/Quote