Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
The Mahomes Vs. Burrow Debate
(07-03-2023, 01:24 PM)jason Wrote: Kobe at best dishonored his wife, and at worst sexually assaulted someone. Great player, but I don't know about class. Magic was married when he nailed every skeez from here to Seattle too.  Kareem is more political than LeBron, and there are rumblings he's not fond of white people.

But did they fart on someone? 
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 01:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I guarantee you would have absolutely no issue with Burrow “talking politics” if his views aligned more closely with your own.

I don’t even personally agree with him on everything, but he has the right to speak his mind (especially when asked - like with the gun stuff).

this is a fair point an might be in some cases. but i can only speak for me. joe being a liberal aint the reason i dont want him talking politics. he dont need to be period. no good comes from it and no one really wants to hear it. he needs to focus on being the greatest qb he can be. thats it. look at boyd. i agrred with most his thoughts on the vaccine an he fell much on the side of the right. but i still dont want him talking politics even if i agree with him. just go play and leave those things to other folks.

so it aint about joe being liberal. its about he aint getting paid for his politics views . just like boyd, just like lebron. just like cole beasly. dont need to hear them none of them be talking heads on politics. just need them to go out and do there jobs and sports. 

btw. i think joe is going to have a great mvp year. i still worry about his contract though. but i think this will be a great year
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 02:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: But did they fart on someone? 

Each and every one of them surely have. James Worthy too... Every member of this board... The list goes on and on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 02:43 PM)Leon Wrote: this is a fair point an might be in some cases. but i can only speak for me. joe being a liberal aint the reason i dont want him talking politics. he dont need to be period. no good comes from it and no one really wants to hear it. he needs to focus on being the greatest qb he can be. thats it. look at boyd. i agrred with most his thoughts on the vaccine an he fell much on the side of the right. but i still dont want him talking politics even if i agree with him. just go play and leave those things to other folks.

so it aint about joe being liberal. its about he aint getting paid for his politics views . just like boyd, just like lebron. just like cole beasly. dont need to hear them none of them be talking heads on politics. just need them to go out and do there jobs and sports. 

btw. i think joe is going to have a great mvp year. i still worry about his contract though. but i think this will be a great year

I agree with you to some extent, but by that logic we should all mostly keep our mouths shut about politics and do our jobs. I honestly feel like the world (or this country anyway) was in a much better place when that was the case. Every 2 years you get a chance to walk into a polling place and get real political. No need to ruin thanksgiving or whatever else with manifestos. I'm friends with people who think just like me, and I'm friends with people who probably don't because I have better things to talk about.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It’s hard keeping politics out of sports when those politics affect people.

I also prefer sports to be politic free but if for example a law gets passed that hypothetically hurts Asians i wouldn’t get mad if Younghoo Koo said something. I’d actually view it as weird for the people to expect him not to say something. Like do you expect him not to care about his own ppl, just because it may piss someone off?

Idk just my 2 cents

But i would prefer politics to be kept to the politic thread. I really would feel exhausted if I’m trying to find who we signed in free agency and threads were filled with political comments. Only because there is a section here for that.

In general though i see no issue with athletes discussing politics that affect them.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 01:24 PM)jason Wrote: Kobe at best dishonored his wife, and at worst sexually assaulted someone. Great player, but I don't know about class. Magic was married when he nailed every skeez from here to Seattle too.  Kareem is more political than LeBron, and there are rumblings he's not fond of white people.

Yeah, I guess I forgot about that stuff. You are correct, just was trying to be polite to some Laker players once in my life.

Cannot stand that team. They are like the stealers of the NBA to me.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 04:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I guess I forgot about that stuff. You are correct, just was trying to be polite to some Laker players once in my life.

Cannot stand that team. They are like the stealers of the NBA to me.

I honestly feel it's best to just root for players and not worry to much about the personal stuff. We all make mistakes, and some people are just bad people. We think we have a lot of good guys on our team, but we really don't know. Mixon had this stuff going on. There's that woman that pops up once a year trashing Ja'Marr. My favorite basketball player of all time is no saint. I idolized Pete Rose as a little kid.

But for what it's worth... I hate the Lakers too.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
To whichever feminine hygiene product gave this thread one star....there are TEN pages of replies. Suck it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2023, 11:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To whichever feminine hygiene product gave this thread one star....there are TEN pages of replies.  Suck it.

I'm no expert on how the stars work, but isn't 1 star better than 0 star?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2023, 12:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm no expert on how the stars work, but isn't 1 star better than 0 star?

Yeah, I guess I should be grateful to be on the scoreboard?  There are just some curmudgeons on here that love to crap on anything that isn't theirs.   
Reply/Quote
I got you. Now it's at 3.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2023, 11:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To whichever feminine hygiene product gave this thread one star....there are TEN pages of replies.  Suck it.

(07-04-2023, 01:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, I guess I should be grateful to be on the scoreboard?  There are just some curmudgeons on here that love to crap on anything that isn't theirs.   

Made me laugh SHRacer lol Hilarious

(07-05-2023, 01:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: I got you. Now it's at 3.

Yeah, I got it to a 4 now. Smirk
Reply/Quote
Not sure where else to put this, but this thread seems appropriate enough.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 10:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure where else to put this, but this thread seems appropriate enough.

Nice watch, thanks Nicomo. No doubt about it, Burrow is as special as it gets. Once he gets the hardware it will be a hard thought 
between Mahomes and Burrow, but I know who I would pick to start with my franchise....

Wouldn't take anyone over Burrow, not even Mahomes. 
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 02:43 PM)Leon Wrote: this is a fair point an might be in some cases. but i can only speak for me. joe being a liberal aint the reason i dont want him talking politics. he dont need to be period. no good comes from it and no one really wants to hear it. he needs to focus on being the greatest qb he can be. thats it. look at boyd. i agrred with most his thoughts on the vaccine an he fell much on the side of the right. but i still dont want him talking politics even if i agree with him. just go play and leave those things to other folks.

Athletes and other celebrities may as well talk politics whenever they like, seeing as we've been known to elect them to office.  If Burrow talks politics now and then runs for office in 25 years it'll seem more sincere.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 01:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I guarantee you would have absolutely no issue with Burrow “talking politics” if his views aligned more closely with your own.

I don’t even personally agree with him on everything, but he has the right to speak his mind (especially when asked - like with the gun stuff).

Jordan's basic statement on the issue was "Republicans purchase sneakers, too." 

Jordan stuck to sports and the NBA grew astronomically in popularity during his time. Since the NBA became so political, such as moving the All Star game out of Charlotte because of legislation (which was less restrictive than the state they went to, btw) and wearing political slogans on players backs in 2020, its rating has declined tremendously. 

Even Phil Jackson said he doesn't watch the NBA anymore because of its politics. 

The NBA drew 36 million in 1998 for one game; it drew 13 million this year for the most watched game. Four of the five lowest ratings for final series came in the last 4 years for the NBA, including 7.45 million on average, 9.91 million on average, 12.4 million on average. Compare this to the NFL. The NFL Super Bowl had 115 million viewers. 

If players want to speak politically, it is their right. Certainly. But don't think it won't have an impact on the business for which the players are working.

Just think about threads on this board. Do people want politics injected? I don't think so. 
Reply/Quote

There are 6 Sharknado movies and 3 spin-off movies. Doesn't mean they're good.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 09:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: Jordan's basic statement on the issue was "Republicans purchase sneakers, too." 

Jordan stuck to sports and the NBA grew astronomically in popularity during his time. Since the NBA became so political, such as moving the All Star game out of Charlotte because of legislation (which was less restrictive than the state they went to, btw) and wearing political slogans on players backs in 2020, its rating has declined tremendously. 

Even Phil Jackson said he doesn't watch the NBA anymore because of its politics. 

The NBA drew 36 million in 1998 for one game; it drew 13 million this year for the most watched game. Four of the five lowest ratings for final series came in the last 4 years for the NBA, including 7.45 million on average, 9.91 million on average, 12.4 million on average. Compare this to the NFL. The NFL Super Bowl had 115 million viewers. 

If players want to speak politically, it is their right. Certainly. But don't think it won't have an impact on the business for which the players are working.

Just think about threads on this board. Do people want politics injected? I don't think so. 

I dunno... The game just sucks right now too. Younger folks don't actually watch games the way we used to either.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 09:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: Jordan's basic statement on the issue was "Republicans purchase sneakers, too." 

Let’s address this post logically

There are a few correlations in this post that just aren’t valid to a claim that the NBA is being hurt by politics. The NBA did not grow in the late 90s because Mj And other players didn’t discuss politics. It grew because the product was amazing and the Bulls had a dynasty everyone wanted to see fall.

You make it seem like players taking about politics is common. Basically only LeBron does it, and he usually only does it when asked a question about politics. It’s not like LeBron brings up politics during halftime/post game interviews. Literally all they did was allow slogans on jerseys and put stuff like “end racism” on the court. If that makes ppl so mad they don’t watch then I’d guess the NBA doesn’t care about losing that demographic.

The reason 4/5 of the last finals have been so low rated is because the COVID, and the series just haven’t been that good. Since those insane Warriors VS Cavs finals these have been the matchups….

Warriors vs Raptors
Lakers vs Heat (Bubble)
Suns vs Bucks
Warriors vs Celtics
Nuggets vs Heat

Not one finals series went to game 7 since Cavs vs Warriors in 2016. In all the series of the past 4 years the team favored has won. That’s simply not exciting. So the finals ratings are down because of streaming, AND lack of competitive series.

Another reason is star power. The newest batch of NBA Superstars are goofy as f*** and it makes you feel embarrassed to be an NBA fan when you’ve got guys like Zion paying hoes 100k a month, and Ja Morant just being an idiot. Fans, black or white can’t back that. Nothing to do with politics.

I think the NBA being on a decline is a conservative talking point that people push because they WANT to NBA be be punished by LeBron not being afraid to speak on political issues. It’s a weird hate of LeBron that pushes this narrative and the claim has no validity. Even with finals beignets rated near the low end, the NBA’s revenue was at an all time high for the 22-23 season.

Joker is a beast and everyone who’s a REAL fan of basketball finds every minute he plays exciting, but let’s be honest. The average casual basketball fan thinks Joker is boring and he just won finals MVP so that’s another reason why this latest finals probably didn’t get insane viewership. But the quality of basketball being played right now is extremely high. The Nuggets and Heat were both very technically sound teams….which does not equal excitement. The criticism i heard a lot was this last finals was simply boring because the Nuggets ran through the league so handily. So once again NOTHING to do with politics.

Another reason is an issue both the NBA and NFL have….refereeing. The officiating for both leagues is shitty and the worse part is they seem to take no accountability for the crappy officiating. That probably has hurt viewership more than anything else.

Phil Jackson doesn’t watch the NBA anymore because he’s a narcissist who believes he’s the best thing to happen to basketball since the invention of the dunk.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

LeBron has flat out said he doesn't like white people and doesn't want to be around them. That's his choice in a free country. But imagine if it were a white athlete that said that about black people. Think he's still be playing?
Reply/Quote