Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Morning After - Media
(01-31-2022, 02:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Aikman is 100x better than Romo. 

Romo is a dip. After the Mixon play, he was going on about how Reid wanted to challenge the play because we had TOO MANY MEN ON THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. Hey Tony, that is not a thing. You'd think someone who played QB for over a decade would know that. You just have to have 7.  Plus, he and his partner totally missed the fumble issue. 

And that is not getting into his rant in regulation about how we should let them score. And then 10 seconds later saying we 100% should not. No filter. No insight. He just babbles and yells. 

I know a lot of people hate on Romo.  I like his analysis for the most part.  He had questions about the Bengals yesterday same as I did watching it.  He also does a good job breaking down plays mid-game better than a lot of other announcers.  I thought Romo was better when he first started because he was a little more raw and excitable about the game and has now settled in to being a "pro", but I don't really get the hate on the guy.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 03:46 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I know a lot of people hate on Romo.  I like his analysis for the most part.  He had questions about the Bengals yesterday same as I did watching it.  He also does a good job breaking down plays mid-game better than a lot of other announcers.  I thought Romo was better when he first started because he was a little more raw and excitable about the game and has now settled in to being a "pro", but I don't really get the hate on the guy.  

I think he started off strong with analysis the year he started broadcasting, but lately it feels like he's getting by on trying to be clever/funny and winging it with what he knows about a team and players. Admittedly, he will defer to his partner and ask for clarifying questions rather than always pretend like he is in the know. I'd have to watch a game again to point out specific examples, but it feels as if he's slowly becoming a caricature of himself.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 09:56 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’ve only listened because I don’t have cable, but on KJM on ESPN, Keyshawn has said multiple times, chiefs should have won, but both Max and Jay have stepped in giving the defense credit and propping up Burrow. You’ll have some haters, but they’ll get more respect this week than last.

However, we will hear for 2 weeks about how Rams D-line will destroy our O-line. Something I keep hearing is they are still referring back to the Titans game and not including how we only gave up one sack yesterday.

Rams will get theirs, but give them credit for yesterday.

Keyshawn is the biggest dumb ass in sports media outside of Bart Scott, so there ya go.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 03:46 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I know a lot of people hate on Romo.  I like his analysis for the most part.  He had questions about the Bengals yesterday same as I did watching it.  He also does a good job breaking down plays mid-game better than a lot of other announcers.  I thought Romo was better when he first started because he was a little more raw and excitable about the game and has now settled in to being a "pro", but I don't really get the hate on the guy.  

Me neither, I like Romo. One of the few announcers I do like.

I hate Chris Collinsworth, I know he is a Bengal great but he just annoys the hell out of me.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 03:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think he started off strong with analysis the year he started broadcasting, but lately it feels like he's getting by on trying to be clever/funny and winging it with what he knows about a team and players. Admittedly, he will defer to his partner and ask for clarifying questions rather than always pretend like he is in the know. I'd have to watch a game again to point out specific examples, but it feels as if he's slowly becoming a caricature of himself.

Maybe he was just drinking too many Coronas. Wink
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Maybe he was just drinking too many Coronas. Wink

Romo is living his best life with his commercials and announcing gig, that's for sure. Despite my criticism, I'd rather listen to him than other analysts. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I hate Chris Collinsworth, I know he is a Bengal great but he just annoys the hell out of me.

Well he's announcing the SB, so buckle buddy or prepare to mute the TV.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 04:02 PM)Stewy Wrote: Well he's announcing the SB, so buckle buddy or prepare to mute the TV.

Man, oh well, have to hear him praising Aaron Donald all game. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 09:48 AM)GridironMonarch Wrote: Hello, all!

I didn't want to necessarily tack on another post-game thread -- but I didn't see this particular subject out there. Forgive me if I missed it.

Basically, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed that some outlets are leaning towards a more "if Mahomes had done this or that" narrative, in lieu of "the Bengals were great" kind of assessment. I know Monday morning quarterbacking is pretty much par for the course, but you don't usually hear this about the "usual suspect" so-to-speak "better" franchises. They usually just tout the winning team's success and not the losing team's shortfalls, as if, if not exclusively for those shortfalls, the roles would be reversed. Know what I mean?  Nervous

Is it just me...?  Mellow
Colin Cowerd looked like his family died at a funeral.  Blamed everything on Mahomes.  Said Bengals have the least talent of all playoff teams.  Cowerd cannot accept Burrow's success as a Bengal and I think he never will.  

But  Remember, when teams loses, they look to Attribute events to something internal or external.  This is attribution theory.  We do this all the time as individuals.  It is the external position to blame refs, but internal to blame individual play.  Then there is talent.  Talent is internal but uncontrollable.  Talent is immutable.  

So what you will hear is how talented Mahomes is how is next Brady, his ability to escape sacks, make plays, extend plays.  Then the very same people blamed Mahomes for the loss because of the same ability and his attempts to scramble in the pocket.  

Then there is the luck argument.  Bengals were "lucky" to beat the Raiders because inadvertent whistle and home field.  Then they were lucky because Titans QB sucked.  Titans fans still exclaim they won because they sacked Bengals 9 times.  

Now the second coming of Mahomes, blew it.  End result KC really beat the Bengals badly but Mahomes and coach blew it.  

Notice it is never about the Bengals winning.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 04:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Colin Cowerd looked like his family died at a funeral.  Blamed everything on Mahomes.  Said Bengals have the least talent of all playoff teams.  Cowerd cannot accept Burrow's success as a Bengal and I think he never will.  

But  Remember, when teams loses, they look to Attribute events to something internal or external.  This is attribution theory.  We do this all the time as individuals.  It is the external position to blame refs, but internal to blame individual play.  Then there is talent.  Talent is internal but uncontrollable.  Talent is immutable.  

So what you will hear is how talented Mahomes is how is next Brady, his ability to escape sacks, make plays, extend plays.  Then the very same people blamed Mahomes for the loss because of the same ability and his attempts to scramble in the pocket.  

Then there is the luck argument.  Bengals were "lucky" to beat the Raiders because inadvertent whistle and home field.  Then they were lucky because Titans QB sucked.  Titans fans still exclaim they won because they sacked Bengals 9 times.  

Now the second coming of Mahomes, blew it.  End result KC really beat the Bengals badly but Mahomes and coach blew it.  

Attribution theory. I see where you get your username. 

Good info. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 04:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Colin Cowerd looked like his family died at a funeral.  Blamed everything on Mahomes.  Said Bengals have the least talent of all playoff teams.  Cowerd cannot accept Burrow's success as a Bengal and I think he never will.  

Cowherd is not about legitimate sports talk, it's a program about dispensing USFL information and having clips about Baker Mayfield go viral on social media.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 04:41 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Cowherd is not about legitimate sports talk, it's a program about dispensing USFL information and having clips about Baker Mayfield go viral on social media.

I understand the need to sensationalize things.  I do.  That need may have gotten Schefter in trouble regarding Brady.  But I really feel Cowherd cannot accept the success of Bengals franchise.  

He is not alone.  The NFL and fans around the world are in shock right now.  Seriously.  There is a lot of freaked out people in the AFCN right now, and AFC is fked with Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen.  Even Rodgers may want to avoid the AFC now.  

Not only have the Bengals changed the narrative of the NFL, but they have changed the paradigm of building a contender in the NFL. They have created a blueprint on how to go from NFL worse to Best in two years.  It is not about throwing money at players and talent.  It is about attracting and drafting the "right" talent for you team.  It is about getting the "right" QB for you team. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:12 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I think the narrative from former players/coaches on the shows/in the media is that the Bengals defensive adjustments changed this game around. Or at least allowed for it to be changed around. And the momentum shifted with the last play of the 1st half by the defense.

Now the non-player/coach pundits out there, who knows.

Yep

Greedy is one description of the last plays of 1st half and conduct in the 2nd half. But I think arrogance applies even better. The Chiefs jumped out to a 21-3 lead and thought ok team we can phone it in from here on out.

And by the time they figured out the Bengals came to play until the final gun it was to late. Our 2nd half D put the smack down on them again.

As is often the case in life the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. The Bengals fought through and took it just as much as the Chiefs laid down and gave it.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 03:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think he started off strong with analysis the year he started broadcasting, but lately it feels like he's getting by on trying to be clever/funny and winging it with what he knows about a team and players. Admittedly, he will defer to his partner and ask for clarifying questions rather than always pretend like he is in the know. I'd have to watch a game again to point out specific examples, but it feels as if he's slowly becoming a caricature of himself.

I could be off base, but I suspect it's the network's coaching on how he should be announcing, versus his more natural delivery when he started.  He was like Nostradamus back then, predicting plays left and right, and getting all excited and ahead of himself.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 04:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Even Rodgers may want to avoid the AFC.

He’d be silly to come to the AFC.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 05:03 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I could be off base, but I suspect it's the network's coaching on how he should be announcing, versus his more natural delivery when he started.  He was like Nostradamus back then, predicting plays left and right, and getting all excited and ahead of himself.  

Fair point, I have noticed he doesn't call every play perfectly like he did year one. As you said, perhaps network direction.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 04:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Greedy is one description of the last plays of 1st half and conduct in the 2nd half. But I think arrogance applies even better. The Chiefs jumped out to a 21-3 lead and thought ok team we can phone it in from here on out.

And by the time they figured out the Bengals came to play until the final gun it was to late. Our 2nd half D put the smack down on them again.

As is often the case in life the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. The Bengals fought through and took it just as much as the Chiefs laid down and gave it.

Agree they were reeking of arrogance and kind of get why they were since they never had to punt or kick in the 1st half yet. 

They were tempted by making it 28-10 and never thought through the consequences. Then their arrogance turned to foolishness quickly. 
Once you decide to go for TD with that short of time on the clock every pass must go into the end zone so you either score or the clock stops on incompletion. 

To not take FG and throw the ball into the field of play was as foolish as it gets and put all your eggs in one basket by making that a do or die situation one last play when there was time for two plays.

Then Mahomes showed he really was not focused by trying to call a time out that he did not even have lol. Should have known all that before the snap that there were no time outs left and ball needed to be thrown in end zone so he would have had at ;least one more play left to either kick FG or try again for TD. 

Yet he did not and time expired at the half and that was the beginning of KC's time expiring for good this season.

Thanks you greedy arrogant fools.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
So listeners of Sirius NFL Radio might recognize the regular caller Dr. Falcon.  For those who don't know him, he is a knowledgeable football fan who is very passionate about his Falcons. He called into Moving the Chains during my drive home, primarily to blast Kyle Shanahan for giving away another big game.  This time by not giving Deebo Samuel a touch for the final 13 minutes of the game.  But then he changed gears to what we did to the Chiefs.  He brought up something I had not thought about.  We were down 17 points in the first game to come back and win.  Second go around, 18 points.  So we came back, as he pointed out, from being in a deficit of 35 points to KC and came out victorious not once, but twice.  It's destiny, he said, and dared anyone to pick against the Bengals as a direct result.

I found that one interesting.
Reply/Quote
Patrick Mahomes’ ‘greedy’ play completely turned AFC Championship game

“I was supposed to throw the ball away,” Mahomes said. “I got a little greedy there and tried to give it to Tyreek and get a touchdown, they had two people out there. In the long run of things, it looks bad, but if we had another chance, I’d go for another play again.”

https://nypost.com/2022/01/31/patrick-mahomes-greedy-play-turned-afc-championship-game/amp/
Reply/Quote
I've seen a lot of SB ads that don't even show the Bengals. Just a Rams player. I think the media in general hates that we made it. Too small market.

Mike Greenberg was roasting the Chiefs for letting "the Cincinnati Bengals" (with tone) come back on them.

Rich Eisen said "we're opening the show with the Bengals for the first time ever". Went on to say they never talk Bengals "and why would we?". Made it sound like the Bengals have always been a bottom 3 franchise...despite 8 playoff appearances and 5 division titles since 2005.

We haven't been a SB contender since the 80s. I get that. But is this how the Falcons were treated a few years ago? The Bucs in 2002? The Chiefs went 20ish years without a playoff win before Andy Reid.

We've been better than quite a few teams...and several recent SB teams were terrible prior to suddenly not being terrible. Yet I don't remember this much focus on the negative with any of those teams.

It's gotta be a market/ratings thing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote