Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The National Review defends Bernie on rape essay
(05-30-2015, 02:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I came across this while trying to find a full copy of the essay in question: http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/28/politics/bernie-sanders-rape-essay-1972/index.html

It should also be noted that his political efforts in the realm of sexual and domestic abuse has been rather liberal over the years, meaning if you are left-leaning you would be very pleased with his positions.

Why would he try to distance himself if it is not uncommon?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-30-2015, 02:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's see how common it is.

Anyone that has became sexually aroused by thinking about abusing a woman please state so.

We should get at least a handful here.

Please define "abuse".

And what roll consensual plays in it.

Bondage would be seen as "abuse" if the two people were not consensual involved in it.  How wax, nipple clamps, ****rings, bastinado, whipping...all forms of "abuse" that some couples employ in the sex life.

Of course, not a good conservative like yourself who has "normal sex"...but people that I am *sure* are outside your circle.

[Image: 526x297-OgH.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-30-2015, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would he try to distance himself if it is not uncommon?

Maybe because it's politics and he knows how it looks. Maybe because he doesn't like how it was written. Maybe because his views on things in the article as a whole have changed. Hard to say, you'd have to ask him.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-30-2015, 02:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Please define "abuse".

And what roll consensual plays in it.

Bondage would be seen as "abuse" if the two people were not consensual involved in it.  How wax, nipple clamps, ****rings, bastinado, whipping...all formds of "abuse" that some couples employ in the sex life.

Of, not a good conservative like yourself who has "normal sex"...but people that I am *sure* are outside your circle.

[Image: 526x297-OgH.jpg]

Good points here. Some things I have done with former girlfriends, some outsiders might view as abusive even though it was entirely consensual. We just never thought of it as such because it was done in a safe manner and everything was consensual.

I'm just glad the one didn't get intot hat furry crap until after we had broken up. Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-30-2015, 02:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Please define "abuse".
sexual abuse

noun
rape, sexual assault, or sexual molestation.

Not sure why you included consensual; as Sanders made no reference to it in the excerpt I read. 

(05-30-2015, 02:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Good points here. Some things I have done with former girlfriends, some outsiders might view as abusive even though it was entirely consensual. We just never thought of it as such because it was done in a safe manner and everything was consensual.

I'm just glad the one didn't get intot hat furry crap until after we had broken up. Ninja

Where did Sander mention consensual in the paper?

(05-30-2015, 02:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: sexual abuse

noun
rape, sexual assault, or sexual molestation.

Not sure why you included consensual; as Sanders made no reference to it in the excerpt I read. 

Because it plays a roll in you asking who has fantasies about "abusing" women.  

And I cited many, may things that would be "abuse" that many couples engage in.

But, as usual, you ignored all of that.

Quote:a·buse

verb
verb: abuse; 3rd person present: abuses; past tense: abused; past participle: abused; gerund or present participle: abusing
əˈbyo͞oz/

1. 1.
    use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
    "the judge abused his power by imposing the fines"
    synonyms:
    misusemisapplymisemploy; More
    [/url]

2. 2.
    treat (a person or an animal) with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.
    "riders who abuse their horses should be prosecuted"
    synonyms:
    [url=https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&q=define+mistreat&sa=X&ei=pvlpVYTkEsyYyATdnoK4Ag&ved=0CCQQ_SowAA]mistreat
    maltreatill-treat, treat badly; More
    [/url]
    [url=https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&q=define+injure&sa=X&ei=pvlpVYTkEsyYyATdnoK4Ag&ved=0CCkQ_SowAA]
    [/url][url=https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&q=define+harm&sa=X&ei=pvlpVYTkEsyYyATdnoK4Ag&ved=0CCsQ_SowAA][/url]

antonyms:
    look after, [url=https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&q=define+nurture&sa=X&ei=pvlpVYTkEsyYyATdnoK4Ag&ved=0CC0Q_SowAA]nurture

• assault (someone, especially a woman or child) sexually.
      "he was a depraved man who had abused his two young daughters"
    • euphemistic
      masturbate.
    • use or treat in such a way as to cause damage or harm.
      "he had been abusing his body for years"

3. 3.
    speak in an insulting and offensive way to or about (someone).
    "the referee was abused by players from both teams"
    synonyms:
    insult, be rude to, swear at, curse, call someone names, taunt, shout at, revile, inveigh against, bawl out, vilifyslander, cast aspersions on;More
    [/url]

antonyms:
    [url=https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&q=define+compliment&sa=X&ei=pvlpVYTkEsyYyATdnoK4Ag&ved=0CDYQ_SowAA]compliment
    flatter

You certainly upped your game Tommy.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-30-2015, 02:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did Sander mention consensual in the paper?

Why does he need to? There are more definitions of the word abuse than the one you have cherry picked. What makes you certain that was the definition in mind when he used the word?

(05-30-2015, 02:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because it plays a roll in you asking who has fantasies about "abusing" women.  

And I cited many, may things that would be "abuse" that many couples engage in.

But, as usual, you ignored all of that.

You certainly upped your game Tommy.

My bad I thought you wanted me to define abuse in the context of sexual encounters. I was trying to keep the topic on the OP (Sanders Paper) in which consensual sex was not discussed; only abuse and rape.

But yes, you have provided an adequate definition of abuse. Still I do not fantasize about how to "use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse." in my sexual fantasies. But like I said; I'm usually in the minority around here.

(05-30-2015, 03:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why does he need to? 

Because that is the feeble defense being offered.

Belsnickel Wrote:There are more definitions of the word abuse than the one you have cherry picked. What makes you certain that was the definition in mind when he used the word?

Which definition do you think he had in mind? I "cherry picked" the first one listed.

(05-30-2015, 03:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because that is the feeble defense being offered.

Which definition do you think he had in mind? I "cherry picked" the first one listed.

No, you didn't pick the first definition. You chose the definition for sexual abuse because that is what you read into it. However he never stated sexual abuse, just abuse. There is a difference.

Amazingly enough the debate has boiled down to the definition of a word.

Who would have guessed.

(05-30-2015, 03:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Amazingly enough the debate has boiled down to the definition of a word.

Who would have guessed.

I know right!  That never happens when you're in the discussion. Mellow
(05-30-2015, 03:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, you didn't pick the first definition. You chose the definition for sexual abuse because that is what you read into it. However he never stated sexual abuse, just abuse. There is a difference.

OK, so he suggests men become sexually aroused thinking of women being "mistreated, misused, used to a bad effect or bad purpose" and never suggests consensual.

I can see how that makes a world of difference.

(05-30-2015, 03:14 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I know right!  That never happens when you're in the discussion. Mellow

Where did I bring it up?

Others are concerned with definitions and "context".

(05-30-2015, 03:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OK, so he suggests men become sexually aroused thinking of women being "mistreated, misused, used to a bad effect or bad purpose" and never suggests consensual.

I can see how that makes a world of difference.

It actually does. But at this point I'm not surprised you don't see that.

(05-30-2015, 03:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It actually does. But at this point I'm not surprised you don't see that.

Even the Mod turns to focusing on the poster rather that the subject. Show me one thread in this post where I called someone out personally.

I think I might just let you guys have this forum, because it is apparent that none can accept a different point of view.

(05-30-2015, 03:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Amazingly enough the debate has boiled down to the definition of a word.

Who would have guessed.
Right here.
(05-30-2015, 03:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did I bring it up?

Others are concerned with definitions and "context".
Well considering that words have definitions and context means a lot, seems like you should be more concerned with both.

Whatever
(05-30-2015, 03:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Even the Mod turns to focusing on the poster rather that the subject. Show me one thread in this post where I called someone out personally.

I think I might just let you guys have this forum, because it is apparent that none can accept a different point of view.

You've consistently shown a very narrow viewpoint on things yourself, in this thread and in other threads. That was all I was referring to. Pot meet kettle.

(05-30-2015, 03:28 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Right here.
Well considering that words have definitions and context means a lot, seems like you should be more concerned with both.

Whatever

So I brought up by replying to you mentioning it?

Of course the definition of words are important; however, the petty focus on one word becomes rediculous (spelled wrong on purpose).

Sanders says things such as "tied up", "on her knees" and "abused". Guess what the debate turns to: "Define abuse". I provide a definition in a sexual "context" which is the "context" of Bernie's paper and suddenly I'm "cherry picking" definitions and the "correct one" that states "mistreat, misuse, use to a bad effect or purpose" is the one I should have used and to some makes a world of difference.

So let me correct myself. Bernie suggested that men get sexually aroused by thinking of the mistreatment of women.

BTW, if it is consensual it is not mistreatment. He never states in the excerpt that we read that men get sexually aroused thinking of consensual sex with women. Or women fantasize about roll playing. he states they fantasize about getting raped.