Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laura Loomer banned from Twitter after criticizing Ilhan Omar
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/laura-loomer-banned-twitter-after-criticizing-ilhan-omar-n939256

Quote:Far-right activist Laura Loomer became the latest conservative figure to be kicked off Twitter when her account was shut down Wednesday.

Loomer said she was told by the platform that her account violated its rules against hateful conduct after she sent a tweet criticizing Minnesota Rep.-elect Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) and her Muslim faith.

"I've been silenced in America," Loomer said in a video posted to YouTube in response to the Twitter ban. She had more than 260,000 followers on the social-media platform before her suspension.

In the tweet in question, Loomer called Omar "anti Jewish" and said she is a member of a religion in which "homosexuals are oppressed" and "women are abused" and "forced to wear the hijab." Omar is the first Somali refugee and among two of the first Muslim women to be elected to Congress.

Loomer insisted that she did not violate Twitter's terms. "Everything I said is 100 percent true and factual. It's not malicious, it's not mean, it's not hateful," she said.
. 15, 201817:23
Twitter has taken aim at far-right activists and groups in recent months, banning conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and website Infowars in September.

"My haters are celebrating today, and they are saying this is the end of my career, but I want everyone to know I'm just getting started. Everyone who knows me knows I don't back down," Loomer wrote as part of a statement on Gab, a social media site that recently gained attention for being used by the gunman in the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting.

Milo Yiannopoulos, the former Breitbart editor who was banned from Twitter two years ago, called the suspension against Loomer "political warfare."

"She was banned for criticizing an elected politician," he said on Facebook.

Twitter did not immediately comment on its decision to ban Loomer.

On its website, Twitter says it is dedicated to making the platform "a safe place for free expression" and prohibits "abusive behavior."

Loomer was last year blocked from using ride-hailing services Uber and Lyft after she posted a series of anti-Muslim tweets in response to a terrorist attack in New York.

Loomer, who touts herself as an investigative journalist, said her Twitter suspension is a threat to the First Amendment.

In Wednesday's YouTube video, she pleaded to President Donald Trump to take action.

"If you want to win in 2020 you have to ensure your supporters have a voice on social media," Loomer said.

I'd have to see the rest of what she wrote.  I'm sure all of her "thoughts" were simply "Facts" and not "mean" as she says.

However no matter where you fall on whether Twitter has the right to ban her (they do) or not I found this bit funny:

Quote:"I've been silenced in America," Loomer said in a video posted to YouTube...
[url=https://youtu.be/mjWOwyLoqds][/url]
Not exactly "silenced in America ma'am.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Loomer cashes in off hate mongering. The less easy it is for her to access people who might believe her, the better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If she is really a Republican she will just work really hard and make a social media platform of her own that dwarfs Twitter as revenge for them banning her.
(11-23-2018, 11:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd have to see the rest of what she wrote.  I'm sure all of her "thoughts" were simply "Facts" and not "mean" as she says.

Like most extremists (from both sides) she is 100% lying about her "facts".

For example she claims Omar is in favor of FGM (female genital mutilation) when is fact Omar has said it is a hideous act that should be prosecuted criminally.

That is exactly why people like her should be banned.  All she does is spread hate speech and call "lies" "facts".  If that does not get a person banned then nothing should.
Twitter can do what they want, but it seems to be pretty subjective.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-26-2018, 05:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Twitter can do what they want, but it seems to be pretty subjective.

Agreed and agreed.  I'm at work so I'm not going to search for it, but there's an interesting thread elsewhere in which they took tweets that generalized or attacked people, in this case men and Caucasians, and reported them.  None of the tweets were taken down or the owner banned or suspended.  They then posted the exact same tweets under different names but replaced men with women and replaced "white" with other ethnicities.  In every instance that tweet was deleted or the account suspended or banned.

So, yes, they are completely free to moderate their platform as they see fit, but I don't think they have even a thin veneer of equal application of said moderation.
(11-26-2018, 06:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Agreed and agreed.  I'm at work so I'm not going to search for it, but there's an interesting thread elsewhere in which they took tweets that generalized or attacked people, in this case men and Caucasians, and reported them.  None of the tweets were taken down or the owner banned or suspended.  They then posted the exact same tweets under different names but replaced men with women and replaced "white" with other ethnicities.  In every instance that tweet was deleted or the account suspended or banned.

So, yes, they are completely free to moderate their platform as they see fit, but I don't think they have even a thin veneer of equal application of said moderation.

There is a big difference between calling a white guy a monkey and doing the same to a black person.

I'd like to see the actual study, but it sounds a lot like some Tucker Carlson "White guys are the real victims" type BS.
(11-26-2018, 06:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Agreed and agreed.  I'm at work so I'm not going to search for it, but there's an interesting thread elsewhere in which they took tweets that generalized or attacked people, in this case men and Caucasians, and reported them.  None of the tweets were taken down or the owner banned or suspended.  They then posted the exact same tweets under different names but replaced men with women and replaced "white" with other ethnicities.  In every instance that tweet was deleted or the account suspended or banned.

Yeah. It really is going to end up becoming a situation where Twitter is for more liberal folks and Gab is for more conservative rather than it being filled with more extremist viewpoints. Gab doesn't get the attention because it isn't as large, but they do a similar thing to folks with more liberal postings from what I have seen. It's just reinforcing tribalist attitudes.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-23-2018, 12:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Loomer  cashes in off hate mongering. The less easy it is for her to access people who might believe her, the better.

What? You don't have a fellow "journalist's" back?

She has been silenced in America and the public is totally unable to hear her political views.
(11-26-2018, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Like most extremists (from both sides) she is 100% lying about her "facts".

For example she claims Omar is in favor of FGM (female genital mutilation) when is fact Omar has said it is a hideous act that should be prosecuted criminally.

That is exactly why people like her should be banned.  All she does is spread hate speech and call "lies" "facts".  If that does not get a person banned then nothing should.

I'm still not sure people should be banned for lies. They should be called out though. And suing should be an option in cases like false accusations.
(11-26-2018, 06:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah. It really is going to end up becoming a situation where Twitter is for more liberal folks and Gab is for more conservative rather than it being filled with more extremist viewpoints. Gab doesn't get the attention because it isn't as large, but they do a similar thing to folks with more liberal postings from what I have seen. It's just reinforcing tribalist attitudes.

All except for Trump, the Lord of Twitter.  I completely agree with you, consistent application of rules should be the norm for any such company.  I despise inconsistency and unfairness.  We certainly don't need yet another way to separate us into factions.
Clinging to her 15 minutes I guess.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/29/far-right-activist-laura-loomer-handcuffs-herself-to-twitter-hq/

Quote:Conservative activist Laura Loomer handcuffed herself to the Twitter headquarters in Manhattan on Thursday to protest being banned from the social media site.

Loomer, 25, shackled her hand to the door of the building on West 17th Street near 8th Avenue at around 4 p.m. and became stuck there after claiming she did not have a key to open the handcuffs, according to law enforcement sources.

The activist said she planned on staying there all night — but asked to be freed shortly after.

“We then cut the handcuffs off of her and sent her on her way,” a police source told The Post.

Loomer was banned from the social media platform for making inflammatory comments about newly elected Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), who is Muslim.

Apparently Twitter said they were not going to press charges so the cops sent her off.

Edit: Because the image/video is worth it.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.