Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next 8 Games Will Define Zac
(11-17-2021, 10:37 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

This is a great opportunity for Zac to now lead.
We'll all find out who Zac Taylor is "Truly"in these next eight games. I don't want to hear what legendary coaches have done. Only this coach Mr. Zac Taylor.Btw: You shouldn't loose after a bye having lost to the Jets and a blowout at home against the Browns.Who got blown out a week later by the Pats.

I agree.  The adjustments should be evident, and they should be willing to make changes, even if they are not as popular with Joe.  They need more balance on offense.  

As far as "this team beat this team, and then got clobbered the next week by this team" , it is all just crap.  

No one thinks the Jets are the best team in the NFL, but they beat the team with the best record WHEN THEY HAD DEREK HENRY.  

The most often overlooked aspect of these games is matchups.  Every team matches up differently against each other.  The Bengals are, hopefully, built to win in their division.   The Browns game was an embarrassment to be sure, but much of that was self-inflicted.  

This matchup appears crystal clear to me:  The Raiders will try to establish a quick-hitting, short passing game to their slot WR and their backs.  They will mix in deep shots (watch for the first play of the game) to Jackson and Waller to get the Bengals to back off.  The Bengals simply CAN't BACK OFF.  They will die a slow death of high % throws with no opportunity for turnovers.  They have to challenge every short route and get pressure on Carr with the front four.  I need to see the energy they had weeks 1-7.

This game has all the makings of a shootout, as the Raiders strength on defense pairs against the strength of the Bengal's offensive line.  

Here's to coming home to a schedule with 5 home games, and just 2 road games, 6-4.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 12:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Taylor can go 3-5 or better in the remaining games, I think he stays and I may even be ok with it.
Going 8-9 (or better) after having a 20% win percentage the previous two years combined is a big improvement.

My big concern will be more if there are only 2 wins or less.

There should be at least 3 winnable games on the schedule.
LV
PIT
DEN

Any of the Chargers, 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, and Browns can also be wins,
but I don't have as much confidence in those.

I get your qualifier about the confidence, but this is the same team that took the Ravens to the woodshed and handed them their most pathetic offensive output probably in Lamar's career.  Yes, they laid an egg against the Jets (but still should have won, up 11 in the 4th quarter) and the Browns game was not a good look for them either, but I have full confidence they will rebound and take down the Raiders.

Then, with only two of 7 (!) remaining games on the road, I see ALL of those games as winnable.  There is no team, again NO TEAM, in the NFL just destroying every opponent right now.  Yes, the Pats are hot.  We will see how Mac Jones finishes with weather and teams adjusting.  

The Bengals are as capable as any team in the AFC right now, and if they get their energy back from the week off with a few adjustments, they will make the playoffs and I LOVE the idea of Burrow just being in the dance.  
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 12:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Taylor can go 3-5 or better in the remaining games, I think he stays and I may even be ok with it.
Going 8-9 (or better) after having a 20% win percentage the previous two years combined is a big improvement.

My big concern will be more if there are only 2 wins or less.

There should be at least 3 winnable games on the schedule.
LV
PIT
DEN

Any of the Chargers, 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, and Browns can also be wins, but I don't have as much confidence in those.

Personally, i dont see why everyone seems to think LV is basically a win.  Derrick Carr has been a stud this year.  

Our pass defense the last 2 weeks prior to the bye week looked like swiss cheese vs a rookie QB, and Mayfield.  

So is it winnable yes.  Am I counting on it as a win? No, because I need to see what defense comes to play in the 2nd half of the season.  
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get your qualifier about the confidence, but this is the same team that took the Ravens to the woodshed and handed them their most pathetic offensive output probably in Lamar's career.  Yes, they laid an egg against the Jets (but still should have won, up 11 in the 4th quarter) and the Browns game was not a good look for them either, but I have full confidence they will rebound and take down the Raiders.

Then, with only two of 7 (!) remaining games on the road, I see ALL of those games as winnable.  There is no team, again NO TEAM, in the NFL just destroying every opponent right now.  Yes, the Pats are hot.  We will see how Mac Jones finishes with weather and teams adjusting.  

The Bengals are as capable as any team in the AFC right now, and if they get their energy back from the week off with a few adjustments, they will make the playoffs and I LOVE the idea of Burrow just being in the dance.  

But that's why I'm not confident.
Yes they beat down the Ravens one time, but they also played terrible against the Jets and Browns the two weeks right after.
They CAN win every game if they play to their potential, but they don't have a level of consistency that gives me confidence in them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: But that's why I'm not confident.
Yes they beat down the Ravens one time, but they also played terrible against the Jets and Browns the two weeks right after.
They CAN win every game if they play to their potential, but they don't have a level of consistency that gives me confidence in them.

What team does give you that confidence?

Buffalo?  Lost to Jax 9-6.  Didn't even score a touchdown against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

The Ravens?  Woodshed by the Bengals, beat by the lowly Dolphins.

The Browns?  We know how their fans feel, right?  After a huge win over Cincy, they crap the bed at New England.

Right now, the most consistent two teams in the AFC have been the Pats and Titans, and neither one of them really scare me.  I think the Bengals could beat both at their best if they are playing their best.  

Consistency is something no team in the NFL has really had this season outside of maybe Arizona and the Titans, and they had a big slip up.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 12:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What team does give you that confidence?

Buffalo?  Lost to Jax 9-6.  Didn't even score a touchdown against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

The Ravens?  Woodshed by the Bengals, beat by the lowly Dolphins.

The Browns?  We know how their fans feel, right?  After a huge win over Cincy, they crap the bed at New England.

Right now, the most consistent two teams in the AFC have been the Pats and Titans, and neither one of them really scare me.  I think the Bengals could beat both at their best if they are playing their best.  

Consistency is something no team in the NFL has really had this season outside of maybe Arizona and the Titans, and they had a big slip up.

Chiefs and maybe Titans and Patriots are about the only teams I have confidence in right now.
Titans more confidence if/when Henry is back.

But that doesn't mean I have confidence in picking the Bengals to beat the other teams I didn't mention.

And recently bias (two embarrassing losses) doesn't make me favor the Bengals in any matchup against the Browns, Chiefs, Chargers, or 49ers.

49ers because despite their record, I believe Shanahan will exploit this defense like he did in 2019. Also, 49ers only loss to a team with a losing record is Seattle. The rest of their losses came against ARZ (x2), GB, and IND. So I think even though they're 4-5, they'll be quite the competition for the Bengals. Bengals will have some advantage playing at home though, but I don't think playing at PBS is a huge advantage as some other stadiums.

We'll see where the Ravens are at by Week 16. If they continue to have some surprising losses, I might believe the Bengals can sweep them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Honestly the first 8 did to me. I think we have enough info to decide that hes a decent coach, that is greatly helped by Burrow and a decent defensive coordinator. Hes not a coach thatll win you one tho
-Housh
Reply/Quote
One hand: "This is such a tough division, we have to give Zac a break."
Other hand: "We have beat most of the other teams in the division, so Zac is a good coach."
What, yes, a third hand: "The AFC teams are not so good this year, so we can make the playoffs."

It is the NFL. Only one team ran the whole season to a Super Bowl win. Everyone else loses at least one along the way. Other teams losing is not the Bengals measuring stick and the NFL is tough. This isn't hop scotch. Win and win a lot or make excuses. Other teams not lining up the same excuses.

Browns likely beat the Lions this week. A loss to Las Vegas drops us to the bottom of the division....again. "Better than last year," is a ridiculous bar to set. They absolutely sucked last year. Are they a better team? Yes, I would say greatly so. Is it because of Zac Taylor? I would say no. Spin the NFL HC carousel and I would think almost all of them would have the same or better record with this talent. Dan Campbell is up in Detroit with 0 wins with the Zac Taylor QB coached Jared Goff leading the team. McVay made that Rams team and everyone else got hype off of him.

I feel the team is at the cusp of a break through to being a true playoff contender ( and winner ). That doesn't come around here too often. I believe Taylor will prevent that from occurring and by the time he is gone, I think the talent on the team will have set sail, as well.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:52 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Personally, i dont see why everyone seems to think LV is basically a win.  Derrick Carr has been a stud this year.  

Our pass defense the last 2 weeks prior to the bye week looked like swiss cheese vs a rookie QB, and Mayfield.  

So is it winnable yes.  Am I counting on it as a win? No, because I need to see what defense comes to play in the 2nd half of the season.  

I think people are just thinking if this team is gonna bounce back and be the team they were looking like in the beginning of the season. Then this is a game they should and or have to win. But almost all of that is on the defensive side of the ball. If they play the way they did the 1st 7 games I think they have a very good chance of winning. But if the defense plays more like the guys we saw the last 2 games I think we lose because I don't think our offense is good enough to win a shootout. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: But that's why I'm not confident.

Bingo 

If the right team shows up I believe they can play with any team in the NFL. But that team only makes random appearances.

As to next 8 games for ZT I'm just not so sure ? On most any other team he only wins 2 or 3 more games he would most likely be gone. On Bengals ? ummm

I say if he doesn't get 10 wins he should be gone.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2021, 11:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bingo 

If the right team shows up I believe they can play with any team in the NFL. But that team only makes random appearances.

As to next 8 games for ZT I'm just not so sure ? On most any other team he only wins 2 or 3 more games he would most likely be gone. On Bengals ? ummm

I say if he doesn't get 10 wins he should be gone.

Honestly, I doubt Taylor would have made it to his 3rd season on most other teams if he only had 6.5 wins in his first 32 games.
But I do think if a team was willing to keep him around after that, a team would be willing to keep him if he finished his 3rd season at 8-9.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So if Zac goes 3-5 to finish the season, he'll have a third straight losing season as an NFL head coach. He'd finish with a record of 8-9. I think he'd keep his job.
Reply/Quote
If he wins 8, don’t ya have to keep him just to see if his 4th year yields 16 wins…
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2021, 02:29 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If he wins 8, don’t ya have to keep him just to see if his 4th year yields 16 wins…

If they go 8-9, after starting 5-2 and the team is as healthy as it is now...bye bye. It's a coach issue. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2021, 03:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If they go 8-9, after starting 5-2 and the team is as healthy as it is now...bye bye. It's a coach issue. 

Yes and no.

The front half of the schedule is certainly easier then the back half. 

8-9 is certainly a let down after the 5-2 start but look at some of the wins, the Jags, the Lions, the steelers (who are still a terrible team regardless of that record) and then a win over the Vikings on a really fluke fumble by Cook in OT.

On the back half, every team is in the playoff hunt. Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs and even the Broncos are all fighting for the top spot out west and none of them have a losing record. 

Only team on the remaining schedule with a losing record is the 49ers, who just manhandled the Rams.

I think the team should beat the Raiders based on talent and the interim coach in Las Vegas. 
I think the team should beat the steelers again, because...they aren't good.

After that, it's a coin flip against some good teams. It won't be just coaching, it'll be health, how the players handle themselves on field (fumbles, drops, ints, things you aren't expecting), and unfortunately just some dumb luck with calls.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2021, 03:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If they go 8-9, after starting 5-2 and the team is as healthy as it is now...bye bye. It's a coach issue. 

This is too logical of thinking, you have to account for the Mike Brown variable. 8-9 fosters bullish commitment to Zac.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2021, 03:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yes and no.

The front half of the schedule is certainly easier then the back half. 

8-9 is certainly a let down after the 5-2 start but look at some of the wins, the Jags, the Lions, the steelers (who are still a terrible team regardless of that record) and then a win over the Vikings on a really fluke fumble by Cook in OT.

On the back half, every team is in the playoff hunt. Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs and even the Broncos are all fighting for the top spot out west and none of them have a losing record. 

Only team on the remaining schedule with a losing record is the 49ers, who just manhandled the Rams.

I think the team should beat the Raiders based on talent and the interim coach in Las Vegas. 
I think the team should beat the steelers again, because...they aren't good.

After that, it's a coin flip against some good teams. It won't be just coaching, it'll be health, how the players handle themselves on field (fumbles, drops, ints, things you aren't expecting), and unfortunately just some dumb luck with calls.

(My argument is assuming they stay relatively healthy.)

For me, it's usually pretty easy to see 'how' they're playing. Do they look tentative. Are they able to respond to a 2nd half/late game score, etc. It's just as easy to see if they're playing aggressive and/or are just being outplayed. EDIT: The Browns game is a good example. After the Jets loss, even though they came out moving the ball, when adversity hit, they didn't seem to respond well, whether it was making plays in the game (several of which they missed opportunities on) or their body language/actions on the sidelines. They seems a bit 'deer in the headlights'ish. 

A losing 2nd half record where they seem to be playing well and are simply overmatched (talent-wise) or just out-played would be a more acceptable way to finish like that; with the belief that a stronger Oline and better (pick position group on D here) play would lead to improvements next year. 

People can talk all they want about how X team is playing right now but going toe to toe with GB, winning at Pitt and blowing out the Ravens in Balt, says something about the team because they've not been able to do that much in the recent past. When you raise the bar like that, falling on your face while healthy is more a problem of coaching and/or weak (not physically) players, not able to overcome and rise to the occasion. But even a percentage of how the players play has to fall on the coaching staff because they're the ones putting them in positions via gameplans, play calling, etc. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

They are among the healthiest teams in the league, and shockingly also the least penalized.  Yes, it's true.  

I think he needs 9 and possibly a playoff berth.  

I think Lou is less safe than Zac.  He's received an absolute cornucopia of defensive free agents.  If they can't find a way to get out of the rut they are in, I think he's toast.  It will be interesting, if it actually happens, to see if the family lets Zac pick a replacement DC or if they go out and find one themselves.  Depending on the DC, a team-picked candidate could put some heat on Zac if it was the right guy.
Reply/Quote
Find the lower explosive limit of Zac Taylor and exceed it.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
So how's that defining going on?
Reply/Quote