Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next Great Villains
(01-25-2023, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean you could have easily made the argument the Bengals-Bills game should have been at a neutral site or coin flip since the Bengals were only 1 game behind the Bills in record but would have had the tiebreaker over them had they actually played the regular season game and won.

I guess I just get frustrated to see the national media be obsessed over Josh Allen and the Bills when the Bengals are arguably just as, if not more talented.

Absolutely.  The hyperbole around Mahomes and Allen is a little obnoxious, but I think they are now starting to acknowledge Burrow as in that group, not the next tier.  Not that he cares.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean you could have easily made the argument the Bengals-Bills game should have been at a neutral site or coin flip since the Bengals were only 1 game behind the Bills in record but would have had the tiebreaker over them had they actually played the regular season game and won.

I guess I just get frustrated to see the national media be obsessed over Josh Allen and the Bills when the Bengals are arguably just as, if not more talented.

Bengals crashed the narrative that had been built up even before the season started. That is, the Bills were headed to the Super Bowl. They’ve heard it for nearly a year. Now, they ain’t going. And, even during the game, the team finger pointing replaced their optimism (which is never a good sign in a TEAM sport).

I still remember the Bengals having their grave dug after the first 2 games and most everyone throwing dirt on our corpse.

Exceeding expectations has burned a lot of people.

I’m still a little salty about the Bills fans being all “love ya bro” until game time, and all of a sudden we garner hate from them. I told some other tool from their fan base who wandered in here blustering throwing hate our way….”this team, this city, this fan base supported you since the Andy Dalton TC}D against the Ravens. Our medical personnel saved Damar’s life. He had the best medical care, probably of anyone, anywhere, which our city provided. We prayed for them. And to be totally disrespected is intolerable.”

If that’s what being compassionate and caring gets us….gets this team, so be it. Only one way to confound those haters….WIN IT ALL!
Reply/Quote
In 3 years we have gone from the Bungles (such a cheap shot) to villains. Things sure change fast around here. I'll take it.

I did write to Jay Busbee a while back when he called Joe "arrogant." I told him that what he calls arrogance, we call charisma and leadership, and to deal with it. He wrote back "OK." I really don't mind that this is his take. FAFO.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 11:39 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: I’m still a little salty about the Bills fans being all “love ya bro” until game time, and all of a sudden we garner hate from them.  I told some other tool from their fan base who wandered in here blustering throwing hate our way….”this team, this city, this fan base supported you since the Andy Dalton TC}D against the Ravens.  Our medical personnel saved Damar’s life.  He had the best medical care, probably of anyone, anywhere, which our city provided.  We prayed for them.  And to be totally disrespected is intolerable.”

If that’s what being compassionate and caring gets us….gets this team, so be it.  Only one way to confound those haters….WIN IT ALL!

That's how teams become the villain. Because you get one person who probably either isn't even a historical fan or is a really dumb one. Then they run their mouth and it leads to people disliking the entire team/city. 

You're disparaging Bills fans because of 1-2 fans on a forum. I would imagine 95% of Bills fans are probably still supportive and appreciative about the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 08:40 AM)Nepa Wrote: I've never not cheered for a team or player because they've been successful. I've cheered for Brady and New England in several Super Bowls, Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls, LeBron's Miami Heat, the Green Bay Packers in their heydey, and the New York Yankees. The Bengals were probably the only losing franchise that I've consistently loved and supported through thick and thin.

I don't get the mentality of hating someone because they are successful and I think there are many more people like me, who cheer for those teams and players who are successful. KC has been to 5 straight AFCCC and has developed a fan base outside KC that admire Mahomes and the Chiefs and Andy Reid.

If the Bengals have consistent success they will grow their fanbase and admirers exponentially. Only those who are jealous of others' success will hate them. But I think they're a small proportion anyway. 

WubWub I love you. WubWub
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/are-the-bengals-the-nfls-next-great-villains-190346267.html

Sorry, Not sorry

Good morning football and other national media pundits have really ripped on the Bengals and I think it's because they destroyed the darlings of the NFL which was the Buffalo bills. There's a lot of hate for what the Bengals are doing.  And their golden boy is about to lose their fourth straight to the Bengals. Even though he has a bad wheel.

Not only are the Cincinnati Bengals changing the national narrative and predictions but they are going to make it hard for other teams to reach the big show for the next decade.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 01:03 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: You cease being the little guy and the underdog when you start winning consistently.  When you're beating other teams repeatedly their fans stop feeling bad.  When you're getting success and no one else is (at the same level, at least) people get jealous.  Villain is the natural progression, regardless of how any of us feel about the team.  

It's going to be a major mind shift for Cincy fans.  Read all the threads right now about people worried about what Eli posts, and KC being called Burrowhead.  Everyone wants to cling to the underdog narrative.  Low expectations, fly under the radar, David and Goliath.  But this team is changing.  Doesn't mean the fans need to become arrogant and entitled.  It doesn't mean we need our guys out there doing dances on opposing teams' logos.  But it does mean we're not going to see the Bengals held up as the feel-good story any more.  

If Buffalo or Cleveland get the same level of success, the same will happen to them.  It's just the way it goes being a winner. 
Did you say Cleveland?   Hilarious
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 11:45 AM)TheFan Wrote: That's how teams become the villain. Because you get one person who probably either isn't even a historical fan or is a really dumb one. Then they run their mouth and it leads to people disliking the entire team/city. 

You're disparaging Bills fans because of 1-2 fans on a forum. I would imagine 95% of Bills fans are probably still supportive and appreciative about the Bengals. 

This
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 11:45 AM)TheFan Wrote: That's how teams become the villain. Because you get one person who probably either isn't even a historical fan or is a really dumb one. Then they run their mouth and it leads to people disliking the entire team/city. 

It is not just one buffalo bill fan. It is a significant amount and from my friend who lives in Buffalo alluded to is that the Bengals ripped out the heart and soul in that stadium on that day.  The fans were so stunned many just sat in their chairs and looked listless.  Even the Buffalo Bill GM took exception and made or an innuendo cheap shot.  It is so bad for buffalo right now but they are rethinking. Josh, Allen and their head coach.  Think about that. They were the darlings and the preseason the darling's towards the end of the season, a team that beat the Kansas City Chief on their way to their first super bowl victory.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Let's win 1 SB first please... I've been a Bengals fan my whole life, so I've been waiting 48 yrs.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Good morning football and other national media pudents have really ripped on the Bengals and I think it's because they destroyed the darlings of the NFL which was the Buffalo bills. There's a lot of hate for what the Bengals are doing.  And their golden boy is about to lose their fourth straight to the Bengals. Even though he has a bad wheel.

Not only are the Cincinnati Bengals changing the national narrative and predictions but they are going to make it hard for other teams to reach the big show for the next decade.  

Love your sig man    Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:22 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Did you say Cleveland?   Hilarious

In reference to the post by Ochocincos, yes.  But the point stands.  Aside from the Watson thing, if they went to the playoffs a lot of people would support them as the little guy and underdog and team that deserved their moment to shine.  Not saying anyone HERE would feel that way (I sure wouldn't), but around the country, they'd get love. 
Reply/Quote
Not to be Debbie Downer, but this OP kinda reminds me of Lebron counting the championships he was going to win in Miami. How'd that work out?

Win this first one, then we can talk about a second or third.

My main concern is not the talent on this team, but what happens when contracts come due? Bengals are going to need to have great drafts going forward. I'm assuming they sign Burrow this offseason, but in 2024 we have Reader, Boyd, Higgins, Hendrickson, Awuzie, Wilson, Bailey and Davis-Gaither ALL becoming free agents.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 07:57 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Well, I can tell you this.....we are already villains to the fan base of KC.  On one of their message boards, they have a poll.....who would you rather punch in the face, Joe Burrow or Tom Brady.  Nothing would make me happier than Joe Cool punching them in the face Sunday night.

It's funny, I think about punching Kelce or Patrick's brother in the face all the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 08:41 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Fans don't like total dominance all the time. Dynasties can be fun to watch, but if the Bengals won 3 of the next 5 Super Bowls and then made an appearance in the 6th, next to every neutral would want the other team to win.

I've never had a particular issue with KC, they've been crap for most of my life. But I'd like someone else to host the AFCCG one time.

We would be if the team did'nt sh!t to bed weeks 1 & 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:36 PM)kurisu Wrote: Let's win 1 SB first please... I've been a Bengals fan my whole life, so I've been waiting 48 yrs.

D@mn you're old.......but I'm 48 too & still waitng.......lol.
Reply/Quote

I can only comment about what I see and hear.  All I've seen and heard are Bills fans (and now their GM) roasting our team.  Who's disparaging whom?  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I like it, but I don't understand why Cincy would be labeled as villains.
Shouldn't people be rooting for the little guy, the small market teams?
Why would people root so hard for cities like Cleveland and Buffalo but not like Cincinnati?

Because for most of their existence, the Bengals have been known as the lovable losers, the Bungles, etc.  

These other fan bases are scared and irritated because they see what is building in Cincy, and they'd prefer we stay in "our place".

Plus, the personality of the QB and the other brash young stars is great when it's your team, but the other good teams in the NFL use it against us (and I love it). 
Reply/Quote
This RANT deserves its own post.

I don't have many posts in here, but was a long time poster in the old forums. That means nothing except I've been through the Dave Shula years all the way up until today.

I don't understand the hate for the team I love. Saw the vid above with Burrow throwing to a receiver while doing a spin move. Why hate that? What's wrong with that? My GF has can put one of her feet behind her head (she says she can't do it with both feet, but I kindly urge her to keep trying) . Should I hate her for that?

Now, some in here are stating our team somehow deserves the hate? Who are you a fan of?

This Bengals team for so long has suffered through the "Bungles" (a term I hate) nomenclature. As fans, we've suffered through the Dick LeBeau (nothing against him...just a bad HC) debacle. We've suffered through the Kimo knee shredding. We've suffered through all the snatching defeat from the jaws of victory incidents (looking at you PacMan and Burfict). We've suffered through Stanley Wilson getting all coked up the night before the SB, crushing the team. I could go on, but you get the idea.

This Bengals squad is special....one of the most special in all of the NFL. They have done nothing...let me repeat....NOTHING wrong. To have other fans, other media types, other GMs throw shade on this team and its accomplishments smells like little more than sour grapes.

To have our own fans lend credence to those detractors confounds me even more.

Know what? If you can't enjoy success, don't celebrate with this team. Don't celebrate with the rest of us. Go back to hand wringing about contracts, what this or that person wrote or said about the team we love. Wallow with those folks.

I'm celebrating....joyfully, happily. I'm relishing each and every accolade the print and video media publishes. The rest? Go sit on the sidelines and worry yourself silly!

RANT OVER!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 01:39 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: Because for most of their existence, the Bengals have been known as the lovable losers, the Bungles, etc.  

These other fan bases are scared and irritated because they see what is building in Cincy, and they'd prefer we stay in "our place".

Plus, the personality of the QB and the other brash young stars is great when it's your team, but the other good teams in the NFL use it against us (and I love it). 

I guess I don't see it that way, because Cleveland really are the "lovable losers." But when they started winning, I didn't see the national audience downing them or not wanting them to win. I saw many praising them and rooting for them.
Same with Buffalo, as Buffalo was always losing most of the 2000's/2010's until Josh Allen's 2nd year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote