Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next Great Villains
(01-25-2023, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess I don't see it that way, because Cleveland really are the "lovable losers." But when they started winning, I didn't see the national audience downing them or not wanting them to win. I saw many praising them and rooting for them.
Same with Buffalo, as Buffalo was always losing most of the 2000's/2010's until Josh Allen's 2nd year.

Browns were the “lovable losers” until pulling the Brinks truck into Watson’s driveway, gave away a ton of draft capital. Then, they because the “why do we have Watson when Jacoby played much better” team! And, “the prospect of us competing for the next 5 years flew out the window when we gave up our high draft picks”.

Now, they ain’t so lovable!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess I don't see it that way, because Cleveland really are the "lovable losers." But when they started winning, I didn't see the national audience downing them or not wanting them to win. I saw many praising them and rooting for them.
Same with Buffalo, as Buffalo was always losing most of the 2000's/2010's until Josh Allen's 2nd year.

You've not heard people calling us the Bungles for the past 30 years? 
Reply/Quote
[Image: bengals-burrow-batman-dent-die-a-hero.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I like it, but I don't understand why Cincy would be labeled as villains.
Shouldn't people be rooting for the little guy, the small market teams?
Why would people root so hard for cities like Cleveland and Buffalo but not like Cincinnati?

Steelers are a small market and they have been seen as villain's with their success
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I like it, but I don't understand why Cincy would be labeled as villains.
Shouldn't people be rooting for the little guy, the small market teams?
Why would people root so hard for cities like Cleveland and Buffalo but not like Cincinnati?

Success Brings Jealousy
Jealousy leads to Anger
Anger Leads to Hate.

Wait sorry thats the dark side
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 04:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Steelers are a small market and they have been seen as villain's with their success

steelers are seen as the villains around cincy because of things like attempting to rip kenny anderson's head off. blowing up palmers knee. coaches grabbing players hair. etc
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 02:42 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: You've not heard people calling us the Bungles for the past 30 years? 

I have, that wasn't what I meant.

I personally think most NFL fans for some reason want the Bengals to be perennially a bottom feeder while other small-market teams like the Browns and Bills are rooted for in hopes they finally turn things around.

But I don't understand why.
What is so appealing about the Browns or Bills franchises but so unappealing about the Bengals?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 04:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Steelers are a small market and they have been seen as villain's with their success

But that is because they have Black uniforms.  Ninja
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Only a few fan bases see Steelers as a villain.
The national media and a good amount of fans root for them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/are-the-bengals-the-nfls-next-great-villains-190346267.html

Sorry, Not sorry

If they hate, let 'em hate - now watch the rings pile up!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
Jack Tatum just phoned from the depths of hell and scoffed "hold my damn beer." The Raiders and Tatum, who once paralyzed a guy on the field, (game continued, btw) embraced the villain role and had much success while doing so. Nice guys finish their seasons on the couch. I want guys who are bent on coming for an opponent's soul and making women and children cry.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 07:48 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Jack Tatum just phoned from the depths of hell and scoffed "hold my damn beer."   The Raiders and Tatum, who once paralyzed a guy on the field, (game continued, btw)  embraced the villain role and had much success while doing so.  Nice guys finish their seasons on the couch. I want guys who are bent on coming for an opponent's soul and making women and children cry.

Meh, we were peak dirty villian in 2017 and we went 7-9.

The idea that Burrow and Chase and ZT winning the SB could make this team more hateable that we were when we had Vontaze Burfict trying to kill people on the field is a bit farfetched in my mind.  A year ago we were going on about how most of the country wanted us to beat the LA Rams in the SB and now we are getting ready to be the most hated team on the planet?

Interesting, at least.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 08:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, we were peak dirty villian in 2017 and we went 7-9.

The idea that Burrow and Chase and ZT winning the SB could make this team more hateable that we were when we had Vontaze Burfict trying to kill people on the field is a bit farfetched in my mind.  A year ago we were going on about how most of the country wanted us to beat the LA Rams in the SB and now we are getting ready to be the most hated team on the planet?

Interesting, at least.

Actually see more people jumping on the Bengals train than slinging shade at them. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Hmmm[Image: 1968e9631519321c26cafa6732a69dd2.jpg]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Some of you must be seeing things I don’t see.

I see the Bengals now have expanded their fan base outside of the OH, IN, KY tristate area. When I travel, I see people compliment me if I’m wearing Bengals paraphernalia. I hear Who Deys in other cities.

I see people loving Joe Burrow, and Jamar Chase, and Trey H, and Reader, etc.

So, where is this so called “hate” coming from? Where is it? Aside from the Bills GM sticking his foot in his mouth and making excuses for poor personnel decisions and cap mishandling, who else hates us?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:53 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: D@mn you're old.......but I'm 48 too & still waitng.......lol.

52 here... still waiting.
Reply/Quote
There's a swagger the Bengals have. A cookies. Keep beating teams and that will turn fanbases.

I love it though!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:37 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Some of you must be seeing things I don’t see.

I see the Bengals now have expanded their fan base outside of the OH, IN, KY tristate area.  When I travel, I see people compliment me if I’m wearing Bengals paraphernalia.  I hear Who Deys in other cities.

So, where is this so called “hate” coming from?  Where is it?  Aside from the Bills GM sticking his foot in his mouth and making excuses for poor personnel decisions and cap mishandling, who else hates us?

TV ratings are up when they play too.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:37 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: So, where is this so called “hate” coming from?  Where is it?  Aside from the Bills GM sticking his foot in his mouth and making excuses for poor personnel decisions and cap mishandling, who else hates us?

I think it's more of an online thing vs. in real life. Most people aren't going to come up to a fan wearing gear and say "Hey, I hate your team or this or that player."  People are much more courageous behind their keyboards, of course. 

Check out the forums for other teams in the AFCN and our new rivals the Chiefs.  Lots of hate for Bengals' cockiness and trash talking ways.  (and I love that). Top two threads on this Chiefs forum as of this moment are about us, and not very complimentary if you read most of the comments there.  

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:37 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Some of you must be seeing things I don’t see.

I see the Bengals now have expanded their fan base outside of the OH, IN, KY tristate area.  When I travel, I see people compliment me if I’m wearing Bengals paraphernalia.  I hear Who Deys in other cities.

So, where is this so called “hate” coming from?  Where is it?  Aside from the Bills GM sticking his foot in his mouth and making excuses for poor personnel decisions and cap mishandling, who else hates us?

From the article linked in the OP

Quote:The Bengals aren’t the NFL’s next supervillains yet, but they’re well on their way.

He pointed to the JB 360 Pregame throw (video in OP) as the point where we started..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote