Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The OK case
So what is the formula that says effective military weapon equals poor choice for self-defense?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-03-2017, 07:30 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: They make an AR-15 in .22 long rifle.
Do folks consider that an "assault rifle", because it's aesthetically very similar ?

You mean like an AR 7 or one that really looks like an AR 15?

It wouldn't fit the military definition, so I don't think it would fit existing legal definitions either. Too underpowered.
(04-03-2017, 02:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know you make the comment of to each their own, but I could argue that there are shotgun setups that would provide the required versatility for someone not needing to engage in urban warfare, but would allow for home defense, hunting, and a host of other things, and at a lower price point than an AR.

For instance, my parents own (well, mine now since my dad can't handle a long gun any longer) a Remington 870. That shotgun can be used for turkey, deer, waterfowl, recreational shooting, and home defense. All with either a barrel change or, even simpler, a choke change and different ammunition.

As you said, though, to each their own.

I got your verstaility right here, Bels.
[Image: np1.jpg]
(04-03-2017, 10:31 PM)Dill Wrote: What does this crowd live for?

[Image: 20140728_militia1.jpg]

I don't know, you'd have to ask them.  Oh wait, you're one of those people who makes sweeping judgments about people based on their appearance.

(04-03-2017, 11:20 PM)Dill Wrote: I got your verstaility right here, Bels.
[Image: np1.jpg]

Feh, DP12.  Only a mall ninja would own one.  Now dig into the intentional contradictions in this post.  ThumbsUp
(04-03-2017, 11:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Feh, DP12.  Only a mall ninja would own one.  Now dig into the intentional contradictions in this post.  ThumbsUp

Hilarious

I'll just take a Spas-12 and be happy with that.
(04-04-2017, 12:00 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Hilarious

I'll just take a Spas-12 and be happy with that.

I own a Benelli M4, might be my favorite long gun.
(04-04-2017, 12:07 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I own a Benelli M4, might be my favorite long gun.
The stainless models of those are sexy AF !
I'd own an M4.
The only deficiency I have is shotguns.
Couple Model 12's and an 870, but that's it.
(04-04-2017, 12:46 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: The stainless models of those are sexy AF !
I'd own an M4.
The only deficiency I have is shotguns.
Couple Model 12's and an 870, but that's it.

Mine is all black, but I swapped out the 5 found tube for a titanium 7 round tube.  I had to replace several other parts to make it 922r compliant, but so worth it.  I have two 870's as well, one is a worn in as hell police trade in.  You hold it vertical and press the slide release and the slide almost completely drops.  Love it.  I'd like to get a nice over under for clays, but it's low on my priority list.
Bet my 115lb blind gsd would make quick work of any MF smelling like bacon breaking in my place.

That being said, my Wilson Combat is about to be delivered. ***** dog only goes so far in this high end market. Caught multiple * trying to get into my cars / garage in the past month. No issues lighting someone up if they've brought their issues into my home.

Watching the gsd lick their open wounds while they writhe in pain will be a terrible story to tell detectives.
(04-03-2017, 10:31 PM)Dill Wrote: What does this crowd live for?

[Image: 20140728_militia1.jpg]

If the zombie apocalypse comes, it's just going to be a bunch of insecure militia members who survive. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-04-2017, 01:14 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Mine is all black, but I swapped out the 5 found tube for a titanium 7 round tube.  I had to replace several other parts to make it 922r compliant, but so worth it.  I have two 870's as well, one is a worn in as hell police trade in.  You hold it vertical and press the slide release and the slide almost completely drops.  Love it.  I'd like to get a nice over under for clays, but it's low on my priority list.

My dad got his 870 at a gun raffle in PA when we were up for Easter one year. That gun has killed countless turkeys in my dad's hands. I use SxS shotguns for hunting, primarily, but I've taken that gun out quite a few times for fun.

I used it one year teaching Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge at the local camp. I typically didn't let the kids use it because it has an unusually hard kick to it compared to the OUs we had for them. If we had some extra time I'd use it to demonstrate the action (and take the opportunity to put a couple shells down range). Well, one week there was this hoss of a farm boy in the class who asked to shoot it. I figured he could handle it, so I shoved a couple of shells in and sent two pigeons flying for him. He took one shot that went way wide of the pigeon, put it on safety and handed it back to me saying "the hell with that thing!" I got a good laugh out of that. It was almost as good as my uncle winding up on his ass after shooting our 10 ga.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-03-2017, 10:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So what is the formula that says effective military weapon equals poor choice for self-defense?

If shooting at an intruder in your house could possibly kill your neighbors then it is a bad choice.
(04-04-2017, 08:22 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If the zombie apocalypse comes, it's just going to be a bunch of insecure militia members who survive. 

C'mon!  those are overthrowing the government when they come for their guns.    Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-04-2017, 09:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If shooting at an intruder in your house could possibly kill your neighbors then it is a bad choice.

100% agree with this.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(04-04-2017, 01:18 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Bet my 115lb blind gsd would make quick work of any MF smelling like bacon breaking in my place.

Your dog would love me, guaranteed.
Especially being a GSD.
I've been around GSD's all of my life.
The only dogs that do not automatically love me are the psychotic Chihuahua types.

I currently have a GSD/Standard Poodle mix.
(Wife is asthmatic)
(04-04-2017, 09:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If shooting at an intruder in your house could possibly kill your neighbors then it is a bad choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qgQoej5zE

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/07/14/why-high-powered-5-56-nato-223-ar-15-ammo-is-safer-for-home-defense-fbi-overpenetration-testing/

seems the military weapon is safer due to the tumbling of the .223. Now I know very little about firearms, which is why I asked the question in the 1st place so if Breech or bfine or SSF or Matt want to chime in on this, feel free.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Using a firearm that may not have the stopping power to prevent an intruder from harming you and or your family is a bad choice

Using a shotgun that hinders precise aiming point and risk collateral damage is a bad choice

Not possessing a firearm and subjecting your family to the terror an intruder could impose is a bad choice

Being outgunned by an intruder is a bad choice
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Americans talking guns. Never do I feel more estranged to you.

I don't wat to interrupt though - just one quick question: How big of a problem are heavily armed intruders?
(04-04-2017, 02:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: Americans talking guns. Never do I feel more estranged to you.

I don't wat to interrupt though - just one quick question: How big of a problem are heavily armed intruders?

I don't know a thing about guns, but the answer to your question varies by locality. I am installing a doorbell camera with an additional camera for my back door that send me videos anytime someone comes around. I figured since day time break ins are more common, this is a good security device. I also can talk via the camera, so when my phone alerts me that someone is at my front door, I can call the police and tell them via the speaker that the police are coming. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-04-2017, 02:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't wat to interrupt though - just one quick question: How big of a problem are heavily armed intruders?

Unless you have large amounts of drugs or cash in your possession the risk is about zero.

Your house is more likely to get hit by a car than a team of heavily armed intruders.  But having a giant retaining wall between your home and the road does not compensate for a small penis.