Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The OL Thread
Well...so far, our interior OL hasn't ben good at pass blocking:

Reply/Quote
I thought they played well yesterday... so would like to see those numbers.

Going against the Browns and Ravens defense to start the year will make most O-Lines look bad.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Except that we're 4th in the league in fewest pressures allowed. And 8th in fewest sacks allowed. 5 sacks in 3 games is not a terrifying number. And this with an immobile QB who just stands there and isn't even dropping back normally. So as usual PFF synthetic stats with no context tell no story.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:29 AM)Joelist Wrote: Except that we're 4th in the league in fewest pressures allowed. And 8th in fewest sacks allowed. 5 sacks in 3 games is not a terrifying number. And this with an immobile QB who just stands there and isn't even dropping back normally. So as usual PFF synthetic stats with no context tell no story.

How many times do I have to tell you that theres more to it than sacks and pressures. Run blocking, penalties, etc. all play a big role in the score. 

How many false start penalties killed drives last night? I can name at least three. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:31 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How many times do I have to tell you that theres more to it than sacks and pressures. Run blocking, penalties, etc. all play a big role in the score. 

How many false start penalties killed drives last night? I can name at least three. 

And burrow throwing the ball in just over 2 seconds.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:29 AM)Joelist Wrote: Except that we're 4th in the league in fewest pressures allowed. And 8th in fewest sacks allowed. 5 sacks in 3 games is not a terrifying number. And this with an immobile QB who just stands there and isn't even dropping back normally. So as usual PFF synthetic stats with no context tell no story.

When you throw a bunch of 0-5 yard passes, you won't give up sacks and pressures.
Reply/Quote
I don't have the listed number of pressures from last night's game yet, but I do know Volson got absolutely embarrassed multiple times against Aaron Donald.
Yes, he's the best IDL in the league, but you don't want to see any starter get beat like he did.
Volson still has a ton of growth that needs to happen.

I thought Jonah and Brown played rather well, but I wasn't focused on them like I was Volson last night.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't have the listed number of pressures from last night's game yet, but I do know Volson got absolutely embarrassed multiple times against Aaron Donald.
Yes, he's the best IDL in the league, but you don't want to see any starter get beat like he did.
Volson still has a ton of growth that needs to happen.

I thought Jonah and Brown played rather well, but I wasn't focused on them like I was Volson last night.

The worst part was they brought Karras over to double, but Karras was late and he split the two.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...so far, our interior OL hasn't ben good at pass blocking:

The OL looked quite good in the first half last night. Very clean pocket and at times held blocks for a long time. There was some falloff in the 2nd half, but overall it really looked good. And Brown is the real deal.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Yeah they could use a really good (not just OK) player on the interior O line
Cooper Bebe from K State? He is supposed to be a stud but would be rare for Bengals to take a guard in the first. This might be the time to do it if a guy like that is there.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The worst part was they brought Karras over to double, but Karras was late and he split the two.

Karras didn't have a great game last night. Like you said, he was late on the help to Volson on more than one occassion. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The line overall did good. Donald had a couple of sacks but did not take over the game or totally disrupt the offense. Really had Burrow been accurate we put 30+ on the Rams last night - he missed wide open receivers for easy TDs. Once Burrow gets his accuracy back we'll be in a good place.
Reply/Quote
Karras is a better guard than a C.

Brown is a better RT than LT.

Volson is mediocre.

Cappa is average.

Jonah is OK at RT.

Brown, Cappa, & Jonah are the inly one whi sniff above average.

I might spend all our oicks on OL + DT next draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

So who's Andrew Russell and why does his opinion matter. I thought the Oline played great last night, Burrow had all day on a lot of those plays. So the Oline protecting a hobbled Burrow has had to deal with Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald. To me they seem much improved.
Reply/Quote
They played well I thought. Definitely room for improvement, but considering how much they've been upgraded the last couple of years it feels a lot less like a liability and more of a solid spot
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So who's Andrew Russell and why does his opinion matter. I thought the Oline played great last night, Burrow had all day on a lot of those plays. So the Oline protecting a hobbled Burrow has had to deal with Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald. To me they seem much improved.

Andrew Russell works for PFF as one of their analysts. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...so far, our interior OL hasn't ben good at pass blocking:

Hard to understand how over 91% pass block efficiency is graded so poorly, and over 94% is graded below average.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So who's Andrew Russell and why does his opinion matter. I thought the Oline played great last night, Burrow had all day on a lot of those plays. So the Oline protecting a hobbled Burrow has had to deal with Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald. To me they seem much improved.

So who's Sled21 and why does his opinion matter?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 11:17 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Andrew Russell works for PFF as one of their analysts. 

Well that explains a lot.... Cool Hilarious
Reply/Quote