Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Obama Channel?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-obama-channel-barack-and-michelle-obama-sign-deal-with-netflix-1526924204

Thoughts?
(05-21-2018, 08:58 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-obama-channel-barack-and-michelle-obama-sign-deal-with-netflix-1526924204

Thoughts?

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Political-Comics-Memes-Jokes-etc?pid=553872#pid553872

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Every other past president disappears into the abyss at least for one term so the next president can do what he needs to do. They do this out of respect of the office of the president. Not obama.... once again he tries to undermine America.

Hopefully he at least makes programming that respects the office. I will wait to pass judgement until we see what he and shoulders are up to....
(05-21-2018, 09:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Every other past president disappears into the abyss at least for one term so the next president can do what he needs to do.  They do this out of respect of the office of the president.   Not obama.... once again he tries to undermine America.  

Hopefully he at least makes programming that respects the office.  I will wait to pass judgement until we see what he and shoulders are up to....

Yes a deal to create programming in the future is undermining America.

Such hate.
(05-21-2018, 10:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes a deal to create programming in the future is undermining America.

Such hate.

We will see what they do.
Unfortunately I could not read the link in the OP as it required signing in. But as to my opinion: If a former POTUS wants to cash in on their status then they should surrender the benefits the government provides them for being a former POTUS.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Yuck, I hate capitalism.
(05-21-2018, 11:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yuck, I hate capitalism.

I absolutely love it. That is why I suggested any former POTUS should surrender his government funded benefits if he chooses to capitalize over his being a former POTUS. 

For instance a former POTUS receives $200K+ per year, Secret Service protection ( a benefit reestablished under Obama), and a personal staff for life. 

(05-21-2018, 11:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I absolutely love it. That is why I suggested any former POTUS should surrender his government funded benefits if he chooses to capitalize over his being a former POTUS. 

For instance a former POTUS receives $200K+ per year, Secret Service protection ( a benefit reestablished under Obama), and a personal staff for life. 

Rich and important people get it all, where have you been?
(05-21-2018, 09:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Every other past president disappears into the abyss at least for one term so the next president can do what he needs to do. They do this out of respect of the office of the president. Not obama.... once again he tries to undermine America.

Hopefully he at least makes programming that respects the office. I will wait to pass judgement until we see what he and shoulders are up to....

Bush, bush and Clinton all inked book deals in the first two years out of office. Reagan may have, not sure there. I don’t think he had to after selling out so many people.
(05-21-2018, 11:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I absolutely love it. That is why I suggested any former POTUS should surrender his government funded benefits if he chooses to capitalize over his being a former POTUS. 

Just curious but WHY exactly should a former president be punished for making money.

Every President I can remember has written books and made money giving speeches.  Why is that a bad thing that needs to be punished?
(05-22-2018, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious but WHY exactly should a former president be punished for making money.

Every President I can remember has written books and made money giving speeches.  Why is that a bad thing that needs to be punished?

They should not be punished for making money; they should be applauded for it. However, in my mind it goes counter to the intent of the Former President's Act. The pension is designed to provide for a former POTUS. Perhaps we could just revise it to take affect at mandatory retirement age.

(05-22-2018, 11:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: They should not be punished for making money; they should be applauded for it. However, in my mind it goes counter to the intent of the Former President's Act. The pension is designed to provide for a former POTUS. Perhaps we could just revise it to take affect at mandatory retirement age.

I can agree with the premise...if we apply it to all elected officials.

If they retire and get a job, become lobbyists, anything that is not "retirement".

Or do we put a dollar amount on it?  Make anything over the pension and you don't get the pension that year.
(05-22-2018, 11:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: I can agree with the premise...if we apply it to all elected officials.

If they retire and get a job, become lobbyists, anything that is not "retirement".

Or do we put a dollar amount on it?  Make anything over the pension and you don't get the pension that year.

I am in complete agreement. I would even be okay with saying no more pension regardless of what you do after leavin goffice. 
(05-22-2018, 03:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I am in complete agreement. I would even be okay with saying no more pension regardless of what you do after leavin goffice. 

We had a local, corrupt, "businessman" that ran for (and won) a seat as a state rep.

One of his campaign promises was he would not accept the state vehicle, pension, etc.

Needless to say he did the exact opposite as soon as he possibly could.

Then he won re-election.  He's very popular despite his sleazy ways.

Then he lost the next time out in the primary.

I just found out last week he RAN AGAIN and won the primary.

These guys will never give up their perks.
(05-22-2018, 01:06 AM)Benton Wrote: Bush, bush and Clinton all inked book deals in the first two years out of office. Reagan may have, not sure there. I don’t think he had to after selling out so many people.

That and he was like 100 and had Alzheimer's. Anyways, isn't Trump in business while he is in office?  The rules of the game have changed .
(05-22-2018, 01:06 AM)Benton Wrote: Bush, bush and Clinton all inked book deals in the first two years out of office. Reagan may have, not sure there. I don’t think he had to after selling out so many people.

Book deals not the same as a tv show. Plus he has continued to throw in his two cents which does undermine the office. Had Bush questioned every move he made when he was getting started in office he would be furious.