Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Offense 2023
(06-29-2023, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't know why Bob is saying Chuck Sizzle cannot play on the outside. He burned a lot of Corners in college playing on the 
outside including our guy DJ Turner a few times.

Don’t think he was the only one. But their concerns aren’t without validity. Jones is not as big ( more thickness than length) than they’d hoped. But he can get there. Callahan sort of alluded to that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 03:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes but the Bengals need some receivers who can do something in an offense if one of their starters goes down.
Trenton Irwin was ok, but the offense definitely lacked juice when Boyd went down.
Charlie Jones probably isn't going to see much time outside, so they need a guy with potential to groom behind Chase and Higgins.
Morgan is a ST-only guy. Basically a non-factor on offense.
If Iosivas can play ST about as well or better than Morgan, he'll make it over him. I thought I read/heard he could play ST decently well, so I'm optimistic on that front.
Both could make it though if they want to keep 7 WRs.

Ive shown stats before.. 5/6 WR do very little on teams on offense, the top priority for most teams when you are a 5/6 Wr is normally specials.  Rarely do teams have a step and produce 5/6 WR, we are not unlike other teams.  Look at our conference last year these are the backups in the 5/6 range, nobodys 

Browns: Schwartz and Woods
Ravens:  Proche and Wallace
Steelers: Sims and Olszewski... 

Now lets look at KC Buffalo and Jacksonville  division winners

KC:  Moore and Toney: probably the best depth,, but they still only average just over 1 catch a game, but i say they have the most talent of any WR group
Bills:  Kumerow and Crowder: these two had combined 10 catches, they pretty much went with 4 WRs with heavy TE
Jacksonville:  Tim Jones; they only carried 5 Wrs, he had three receptions. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They liked Iosivas ridiculous athleticism. They liked Jones play in the Big 10 against some NFL current or soon to be guys. They hardly pay attention to matchups vs no-names. And of course his ST play. Jones played great competition and plenty of video to see. Jones knows how to play this game and is savvy. He’s going to surprise
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2023, 06:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Ive shown stats before.. 5/6 WR do very little on teams on offense, the top priority for most teams when you are a 5/6 Wr is normally specials.  Rarely do teams have a step and produce 5/6 WR, we are not unlike other teams.  Look at our conference last year these are the backups in the 5/6 range, nobodys 

KC:  Moore and Toney: probably the best depth
,, but they still only average just over 1 catch a game, but i say they have the most talent of any WR group
Bills:  Kumerow and Crowder: these two had combined 10 catches, they pretty much went with 4 WRs with heavy TE

Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore are not depth.... one will be the starter with MVS and the other the 3rd receiver or slot receiver. The depth would be rookie Rashee Rice, Cornell Powell, and Justyn Ross. I am a big Rice fan though.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
FWIW, I do not see a big shift in offensive philosophy.

I think we will see 3 WR, 1RB, & 1 TE 75%+ of the time. We will almost never go 2 RB, even in short yardage/goal line (which bugs me). We won't see 2 TEs much.

But I do think we will see a change in playcalling if the O-line is better. Longer developing plays. More 5 & 7 step drops, less 3 step. More longer developing plays. Burrow has been working on play-action stuff. If we can get a decent running game going, that is something we have not had in a while. Not saying he will become Boomer, but it is a new facet for us. Finally, I think we could see more 4 WR/5WR & more empty. Both because of the improved O-line and because WR's 4 & 5 are legitimate threats (if Jones & Iosivas hit).
Reply/Quote
I laugh all the Chief worshipers. Don’t need to resign Tee. Look at KC they survived losing Tyreek Hill. Give Joe Burrow a top OL and you could put FredToast and “omceisaidsomethingcorrect to play receiver. If Jones and Iosivas turn out good and if we can protect great not just good with 5 receivers we will be better than the greatest show on turf. From an athletic standpoint Iosivas can handle himself on 50/50 balls I can assure you.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2023, 06:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Ive shown stats before.. 5/6 WR do very little on teams on offense, the top priority for most teams when you are a 5/6 Wr is normally specials.  Rarely do teams have a step and produce 5/6 WR, we are not unlike other teams.  Look at our conference last year these are the backups in the 5/6 range, nobodys 

KC:  Moore and Toney: probably the best depth,, but they still only average just over 1 catch a game, but i say they have the most talent of any WR group

The one thing of note to the bolded about our division is that all of our rivals use the TE a lot more in their primary offensive plan that the Bengals do.  Taylor and Irwin have had a lot more game reps than the bench WRs of our rivals, simply because our offense is WR centric. The 5-6 WRs on this team will get reps, and with Joe Burrow at QB, you can believe that they will be meaningful reps.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2023, 07:36 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, I do not see a big shift in offensive philosophy.

I think we will see 3 WR, 1RB, & 1 TE 75%+ of the time. We will almost never go 2 RB, even in short yardage/goal line (which bugs me). We won't see 2 TEs much.

But I do think we will see a change in playcalling if the O-line is better. Longer developing plays. More 5 & 7 step drops, less 3 step. More longer developing plays. Burrow has been working on play-action stuff. If we can get a decent running game going, that is something we have not had in a while. Not saying he will become Boomer, but it is a new facet for us. Finally, I think we could see more 4 WR/5WR & more empty. Both because of the improved O-line and because WR's 4 & 5 are legitimate threats (if Jones & Iosivas hit).

I agree definitely. I’m no Bill Walsh or great X’s and O’s guy. But they love Mixon in the passing game. Could they motion out ( they do that some) and have Smith, Tee,Chase, Mixon, and Tyler in a 5WR set? There’s some matchup problems there and if a blitz he has a bail out receiver?

Reply/Quote
I guess I was naive but didn’t realize how much in the off season the coordinators look at opposing teams same side of the ball. Even though they are not meeting the work doesn’t go away. For example Zac is looking at Todd Monkens (new Ravens OC) offense for weaknesses to share with Lou and vice a versa. The person I was talking to said it’s not like that everywhere. Some coaches have pretty big egos.

Reply/Quote