Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Offensive Line: Who Starts in Two Weeks?
(11-01-2020, 10:32 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Would moving Adeniji to RT be a big deal since he played LT today?

Also, is XSF definitely coming back? Think I would prefer Spain there against the Steelers.

Spain plays LG and XSF plays RG.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:32 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Would moving Adeniji to RT be a big deal since he played LT today?

Also, is XSF definitely coming back? Think I would prefer Spain there against the Steelers.

After today, Spain has to play.  I'd like to see more permanent changes up front, but he's the one that needs to be there.  He's probably the best guard on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Best man plays. Price fell from the starting lineup, and has been given the chance to get his starting gig back. Let's see if he continues to excel and take it. With XFS, Spain and Finney now in the fold, guard is a position up for grabs. My guess is Jordan and Redmond won't get much leash before they are yanked now. And as well as Adeniji has come in and played, Fred has done just as well.... and moved from one side to other. Williams will get his starting gig back, as he should. Hart probably will as well, but he will have to continue to play at a hgh level or one of these guys will take it.
Reply/Quote
I've read elsewhere that Lap was hinting that Hart would be out for a while.
Reply/Quote
Let's not get too excited, Titans DL is awful.Still, the line was better than expected. As for going forward....

Spain was the best of the bunch to my untrained eye. He has to start at LG moving forward. Jordan has been improving some, but I am not a fan of tall OGs in general. Spain is a proven guy. Joe is too valuable. Start the better player.

I think Jonah starting when he is healthy is a no brainer. Adeniji was good, as was Fred. The latter is an OT, not a OG. Seemed like Tenn was lining their best DE over Fred more often, which tells you what they thought. If Jonah is a no-go, then Adeniji stays at LT.

I think XSF reclaiming his starting spot at RG if healthy is a no brainer, too. Redmond has been better than expected, and I'd keep him at RG over Jordan if XSF cannot go. Close call. Finney is depth.

Hart has to play when healthy. But I'd go Adeniji over Fred if he can't.

I have been surprised with how well Price has played. Aside from the snaps. But Hopkins should start once he is ready to go. Though Price is playing himself into the conversation and is a better run blocker and $3 mil cheaper.

Right now I'd go: Williams, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, Hart. Though Price & Adeniji, with continued good play, could make Hart/Hopkins expendable if we want to sign a stud OL in FA & we need to cut salary.

Let's see how Pitt goes.
Reply/Quote
Really people, can't we just enjoy that the backups came in and did a good job?

Yes, we had three plays that were cringeworthy - one bad snap and two plays with unblocked defender(s) screaming in. The thing is, in prior games we have been seeing unblocked defenders twice PER DRIVE if not more. This was twice in an entire game. I'll gladly take twice over the 10+ times per game we have been seeing before. Spain was such a big improvement over Jordan it was laughable actually. Adeniji held up well and Price was also excellent.
Reply/Quote
We are enjoying it so much some of us think some of them should start!

Really, it is nice to see Price step up. Maybe not being healthy and not playing OG is what he needed. Nice to have a viable #2 option at C. If he irons out the snaps.....

But with Spain & XSF moving to the 53 soon, that means someone has to go, or maybe 2 someone's.

I would assume Spain & Sutherland switch spots. Spain to the 53, Sutherland waived & then to PS. Unless one of the injured guys needs IR (Hart, Phillips).

I'd also think Seibert is a prime cadidate to get waived.
Reply/Quote
It's nice to see Price step up. We should be good at center with Hopkins or Price.

I'd like Williams at left tackle, Adeniji backing him up.

At right tackle I think I'd rather have Adenijii, but Hart was the highest rated lineman against the Browns--and played great.

Stick with Spain at LG until he proves you wrong. Guard is really our biggest weakness. We've been shuffling different guys in and out. I'd be nice to see Spain really grab hold of that starting job at LG.

RG seems up for grabs. I'd like to see a 2nd round guard fall to us, and a 1st round pass rusher in the draft.
Reply/Quote
I know Tennessee defense is not great, but the line opened holes that haven't been there all year, and on some plays Burrow had more time than to throw than he has all year.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:20 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I know Tennessee defense is not great, but the line opened holes that haven't been there all year, and on some plays Burrow had more time than to throw than he has all year.

There was a couple plays where Burrow had all day. To me that just proves how bad the Titans pass rush is though. Kind of like ours when Mayfield (or whoever) has like 3+ seconds to throw.

Reply/Quote
I have to give map props to Quinton Spain. That dude came in with no prep and was a beast today. Not only did he block very well, he was running down the field on every play congratulating players, celebrating TD's etc. Love seeing that. Its like he just stepped in and was the missing link.

The combo of him and Price was stellar today. The rest of the guys played well no doubt, but Price and Spain next to each other looked totally legit in both run and pass blocking. I would love to see more of that moving forward.
Reply/Quote
What I saw was a bigger pocket on pass plays and bigger holes on run plays. In pass protection Hakeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson have a very different technique than Bobby Hart and Jonah Williams. They don’t backpedal as much and aggressively engage the defensive ends. This makes the interior line’s job much easier. On one play Joe Burrow had seven seconds to throw; I know because I counted.

I can’t give enough props to the left side of the line in run blocking today. Those were grown men out there and Adeniji, Quinton Spain, and Billy Price blew those Titan defenders off the line with mad props to Adeniji for handling Jadeveon Clowney.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What I saw was a bigger pocket on pass plays and bigger holes on run plays. In pass protection Hakeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson have a very different technique than Bobby Hart and Jonah Williams. They don’t backpedal as much and aggressively engage the defensive ends. This makes the interior line’s job much easier. On one play Joe Burrow had seven seconds to throw; I know because I counted.

I can’t give enough props to the left side of the line in run blocking today. Those were grown men out there and Adeniji, Quinton Spain, and Billy Price blew those Titan defenders off the line with mad props to Adeniji for handling Jadeveon Clowney.

I think you forgot the Mississippi’s lol

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What I saw was a bigger pocket on pass plays and bigger holes on run plays. In pass protection Hakeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson have a very different technique than Bobby Hart and Jonah Williams. They don’t backpedal as much and aggressively engage the defensive ends. This makes the interior line’s job much easier. On one play Joe Burrow had seven seconds to throw; I know because I counted.

(11-01-2020, 11:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think you forgot the Mississippi’s lol

I think I saw the exact time was 6.02 or 6.04 seconds.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What I saw was a bigger pocket on pass plays and bigger holes on run plays.  In pass protection Hakeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson have a very different technique than Bobby Hart and Jonah Williams.  They don’t backpedal as much and aggressively engage the defensive ends.  This makes the interior line’s job much easier.  On one play Joe Burrow had seven seconds to throw; I know because I counted.  

I can’t give enough props to the left side of the line in run blocking today.  Those were grown men out there and Adeniji, Quinton Spain, and Billy Price blew those Titan defenders off the line with mad props to Adeniji for handling Jadeveon Clowney.

The entire line was not backpedaling and was firing off the snap to engage defenders. This is why I was wondering whether someone forced a change in blocking technique? 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:01 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think I saw the exact time was 6.02 or 6.04 seconds.

That’s crazy if true. Their pass rush might be even worse than ours lol

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s crazy if true. Their pass rush might be even worse than ours lol

It was just the one play that was crazy long like that. I’d like to see the replay to find I’m out what exactly happened, I.e. number of rushers, number of blockers, did somebody trip and fall down LMAO
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't agree with putting Hopkins back in right now.  After what Price has shown recently, you almost have to keep him in there, and decide weather your 1st round draft pick is worth continuing to invest in.

These are my exact thoughts. It would also give us some nice building blocks for the future. If Price looks good the rest of the year you can extend him at a good deal since he doesn't have much tape at center since his rookie deal. This could be great value if he contiues this play. Then we would have Williams, Price, Adenji and Jordan on cheap deals and all still young. Linemen don't come into there own until year 3 usually. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:02 AM)Joelist Wrote: The entire line was not backpedaling and was firing off the snap to engage defenders. This is why I was wondering whether someone forced a change in blocking technique? 

The blocking looked different but WHY? Is this a change? I think it is because the line had to adjust to the presence of Hakeem Adeniji and Shaq Calhoun. Of course Shaq was replaced by Quinton Spain who played incredibly well. To my mind it looked like the technique was adjusted to account for what Adeniji and Calhoun/Spain already knew.

Whatever it was it worked better than anything Jim Turner tried in 2019 or to this point in 2020.
Reply/Quote
I don't know who will be healthy or not. But I'd take a long hard look at who gets the nod and wouldn't care less about how long they've been on the team, who's feelings get hurt etc.
Reply/Quote