Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Offensive Line: Who Starts in Two Weeks?
(11-01-2020, 10:27 PM)Synric Wrote: They also invested in Trey Hopkins known consistency through 2022.

they did invest in him but they know what they have in Hopkins. He will be average and that is it. Hopkins should have his picture in the dictionary for 6th man. The guy can play everywhere and is smart but just average. He has great great value for this team and I love the guy but he is not the long term starting center.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:20 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: they did invest in him but they know what they have in Hopkins. He will be average and that is it. Hopkins should have his picture in the dictionary for 6th man. The guy can play everywhere and is smart but just average. He has great great value for this team and I love the guy but he is not the long term starting center.

Hopkins is only 28. He could absolutely be our long term starter.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:02 AM)Joelist Wrote: The entire line was not backpedaling and was firing off the snap to engage defenders. This is why I was wondering whether someone forced a change in blocking technique? 

Pass sets aren't static. They don't do the same thing every time. Depending on the play, the set will be different. 

Sometimes people look for or see things that aren't necessarily there, when there are different or better results (works the same for worse too). If they're using more play action or short passes, you're going to see more jump sets (shorter--engage sooner). For deeper passes you'll typically see more vertical sets. 

It makes sense that the Bengals would go towards more plays that use jump sets to try and keep the rush off Burrow, since he's been sacked so much up to now. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'd buy that if it weren't for the fact that prior to this game they WERE backpedaling on almost every snap and this week they did not do so. So it may be that on the Bengals the pass sets ARE more static.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hopkins is only 28. He could absolutely be our long term starter.

if he played better than average but that is not his game. He is a great asset but not the long term center we need. Perfect guy to come in at center or guard if we have an injury and get you through without worrying but not a full time starter long term.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:53 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: if he played better than average but that is not his game. He is a great asset but not the long term center we need. Perfect guy to come in at center or guard if we have an injury and get you through without worrying but not a full time starter long term.

Disagree. The Chiefs won the Super Bowl last year with a center that grades out right around Hopkins.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:49 AM)Joelist Wrote: I'd buy that if it weren't for the fact that prior to this game they WERE backpedaling on almost every snap and this week they did not do so. So it may be that on the Bengals the pass sets ARE more static.

Just for shits and gigs i went back and watched the 1st half of the Browns game last week, before i posted. They were doing the same thing then, that they did today. 

Perception isn't always reality. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It was a small sample size so I'll try not to overact. I'd leave Williams at LT feel like it's his natural position and I don't wanna disrupt his development. Williams has been decent it's basically his first year and he's had some tough matchups. I'd leave Jordan at LG and possibly start Spain over Redmond who has a low celling. Center I feel like Price has played good but I'm not sure if he’s better than Hopkins. Far as RT not sure if Johnson is better than Hart. We have some versatility issues. Price and Hopkins can only play center there awful guards we've seen them both play. Fred Johnson isn't a guard and the Bengals stated Hakeem is a LT, not sure if that mean he can't play RT ?
Reply/Quote
Wally Pipped!!

Run it back. Major push up the middle and a pocket to pass from was nice to see. I doubt it happens though. This is how I think it is.

Hakeem is a LT only for now. Fred was the first tackle off the bench in the Browns game and came in for Jonah at LT. He moved to right when Hart got hurt because Hakeem has barely any reps at RT. Hopefully Jonah is healthy after the bye and he gets plugged back in to LT. If Jonah is not 100% and there is any lingering concern with the neck then start the rookie again.

I think MJ has a bright future. I think Spain just took his job. Spain will be on a short leash. But MJ getting some time to sit and watch a vet would be something he hasn't got to do yet in his short NFL career. Coming in after a week and doing what he did deserves a chance to start.

I still wouldn't be surprised if we traded Billy. If we don't he needs to be starting at C. Hopkins has a lot of film out there. Maybe he could be on the trade block. We also have a backup C coming in with Finney.

Redmond was the last man standing after last week... wtf. He is only 25. He has played 5 games this year. We won the first one he played in and this one. He reminds me a little of Evan Mathis with him eager to get out of here, when he was tweeting his farewells after we cut him earlier in the year. I want to get it right his time. His attitude on the field is a major major plus.

Sounds like Hart will still be out. Fred should be starting over him either way. If Hart plays his best game it is barely enough. I'm ready to see Fred get an extended look.

In the long run I would love to see Jonah, MJ, Price, Hakeem, Fred become a solid starting line. But after the bye I think it should be Jonah, Spain, Price, Redmond, Fred.
Reply/Quote
Just saw a replay of Billy Price spiking the ball after one of the TD’s and...he needs a lesson from Burrow lol

Reply/Quote