Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Pollack Experiment Should End
(11-02-2022, 11:18 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I can't help but wonder if Zac, Callahan, and Pollack have a scheme they want to run for their OL but then bring in players who may be good and/or have potential but are not good fits for the scheme they want to run and so we have what we have.

I think there are too many cooks in the kitchen. 

Burrow and ZT want to operate one way (strictly out of shotgun) and Pollack is a wide zone run guy under center. There is just complete disconnect there. 

They have tried to "fix it" on the fly by ditching the zone read stuff but I just think the playbook is limited at this point in time. They really ****** themselves over this off-season by not recognizing this. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:29 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The nonexistent run game is THE single biggest problem with this offense right now. 

Every team in our division has played Tampa or Cover 2 against us just begging us to run and we just can't do it. They won't get out of these looks until we prove that we can run. It's why you see so many check downs by Joe. It's hard to find guys open when the lineback is sprinting back in coverage every play.  

Why the run game isn't working is the real question. Is it scheme, Mixon, something else? 

The thing that this team could do RIGHT NOW to try and make it work is to give Perine and Evans more carries. They have already adjusted the scheme a bit and that seemed to help, but Mixon isn't holding up his end of the bargain. He just can't break tackles or make guys miss. 

Spot on. The coaches need to make a move now.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 08:11 AM)GodFather Wrote: The Bengals are averaging 3.5 yards per attempt rushing, that is 3rd worst in the league coming in at 30. When they did run against the Browns they stunk it up only averaging 3.6 yards. 

Pollack is at blame here. Other teams have done better with far less player talent. 

What has Perine averaged?  Evans?  I think the blame lies also on Mixon with a horrible YAC and broken tackles measure.  I remember a lot of people thinking the line sucked when they had Ki-Jana Carter, and then Cory Dillon ran the ball.  

Hardly the same comparators to Dillon, but I think Mixon is done and everyone knows it but he is being paid a ton so is playing.  

That isn't Pollack's fault at all.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:18 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I can't help but wonder if Zac, Callahan, and Pollack have a scheme they want to run for their OL but then bring in players who may be good and/or have potential but are not good fits for the scheme they want to run and so we have what we have.

Good point, Phil.  However, everyone knows that the hallmark of a good coach is the one who adapts his plans to the attributes of the players that he has, and not the other way around.  I mean we all learned in kindergarten that the square pegs don't fit in the round holes..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Spot on. The coaches need to make a move now.

Seeing how the Bengals have operated in recent years past, I get the feeling no changes will get made until the bye next week.
I would expect there to at least be one change if the Bengals somehow lose to a Panthers team that has traded away two of their main offensive weapons and on their third QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 12:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Seeing how the Bengals have operated in recent years past, I get the feeling no changes will get made until the bye next week.
I would expect there to at least be one change if the Bengals somehow lose to a Panthers team that has traded away two of their main offensive weapons and on their third QB.

Yep, I'm hoping they make changes over the bye even if they win. 

Reply/Quote
They just had a very interesting conversation on Sirius NFL between Bob Papa and Bill Polian about NFL lines and line coaches today. This conversation did not focus on the Bengals (I don't think they even mentioned Cincy), but on all teams, but the conversation mirrored the Bengals problems. First Polian stated there really are no good offensive line coaches anymore. He named some of the great ones, but they are all mostly dead or retired, and as he put it "they did not train their successors." He said really the only good one left is Bill Callahan (but he has a job). So, to those who want to get rid of Pollack, the question becomes "who are you going to replace him with?"

Then they got into college coaches and talked about how college lines are not the same as the NFL. When college Oline players come into the NFL, they are seeing defensive fronts they have never played against and don't know how to handle them. Thye got into how most teams will not spend a 1st round pick on a guard (It's not just the Bengals), but they will draft a tackle in the 1st. And usually that tackle won't be able to hold up as a rookie, so they get moved to guard, which further hinders their development. I mean, they could have been talking about the Bengals specifically, but this is league wide. Defensive coaching has just gotten way out in front of offensive coaching due to the way they play in college.
Reply/Quote
Well this thread has been quiet. It’s almost like he just needed some time to get a completely rebuilt unit to gel.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well this thread has been quiet. It’s almost like he just needed some time to get a completely rebuilt unit to gel.

They have REALLY improved over the last few weeks, no doubt. You and I both are/were big FP supporters, but even we had our doubts early. I'm glad he got the ship righted and he and his guys have proven us wrong. 

Reply/Quote
This thread did not age well
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost like he just needed some time to get a completely rebuilt unit to gel.

and for Burrow's innards to heal.
Reply/Quote
Imma give all credit to Derek Frazier
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
average is good compared to the awful it was

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
One of them (Pollack or Zac) ditched the wide zone in favor of gap and that was when the running game suddenly came to life. Seeing as all 5 linemen are best suited for gap it is unsurprising.
Reply/Quote
My only gripe is the switch to this power scheme should of came much sooner.

The Wide Zone scheme should never be used again under the current personal.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:41 PM)QueenCity Wrote: My only gripe is the switch to this power scheme should of came much sooner.  

The Wide Zone scheme should never be used again under the current personal.

It WAS weird seeing as they signed three free agent linemen all of whom are maulers plus Volson's scouting report is he is a mauler. Even Jonah is better in a power scheme. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:41 PM)pally Wrote: average is good compared to the awful it was

Burrow can absolutely win a Super Bowl with an average OL.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow can absolutely win a Super Bowl with an average OL.

For real. I mean, he was about 1 second away from winning one with a crap OL.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:41 PM)pally Wrote: average is good compared to the awful it was

Sack rate is average. Some if that is on Burrow.  Pressure rate is 6th in the league.  That's good. If we had 1 stud lineman (Pro Bowl caliber), the rest could really fill in around that. 
Reply/Quote