Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real Burning Question for Draft Day
We know from long history that everyone broadcasting the draft simultaneously yet supposedly without coordination go to commercial just as the Bengals are about too announce their pick.

What are the odds of that happening to the defending AFC champs...I say there is a 98.7% we will see a commercial.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 09:53 AM)pally Wrote: We know from long history that everyone broadcasting the draft simultaneously yet supposedly without coordination go to commercial just as the Bengals are about too announce their pick.

What are the odds of that happening to the defending AFC champs...I say there is a  98.7% we will see a commercial.

i think the odds are good we wont see us make a selection tonight.... (i predict we trade out)

At least ill probly pass out long before we are on the clock lol
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 10:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think the odds are good we wont see us make a selection tonight.... (i predict we trade out)

At least ill probly pass out long before we are on the clock lol

Wow I hadn't really considered trading down now means no day one draft pick. Ugh...lot of waiting around for nothing. Would make day 2 exciting though!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 09:53 AM)pally Wrote: We know from long history that everyone broadcasting the draft simultaneously yet supposedly without coordination go to commercial just as the Bengals are about too announce their pick.

What are the odds of that happening to the defending AFC champs...I say there is a  98.7% we will see a commercial.

Actually this does not happen that often at all.  Commercial breaks are scheduled by the networks in coordination with the FCC.  They are all supposed to happen at the same time.  The people broadcasting the draft don't really have much control.  They can't just "go to commmercial" whenever they want to.  And it seems to hit different random teams just as much as the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually this does not happen that often at all.  Commercial breaks are scheduled by the networks in coordination with the FCC.  They are all supposed to happen at the same time.  The people broadcasting the draft don't really have much control.  They can't just "go to commmercial" whenever they want to.  And it seems to hit different random teams just as much as the Bengals.

From the years I worked in radio, that's not entirely true.  There is quite a bit of flexibility in certain breaks during a broadcast, which is how they're able to ensure they don't cut out in the middle of a big play during a game.  There are a certain number of breaks needed, and some of that is driven by the commercial needs, but it's not 100% forced on the timing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually this does not happen that often at all.  Commercial breaks are scheduled by the networks in coordination with the FCC.  They are all supposed to happen at the same time.  The people broadcasting the draft don't really have much control.  They can't just "go to commmercial" whenever they want to.  And it seems to hit different random teams just as much as the Bengals.

Fred, every Bengals fan KNOWS that this happens every year.  Who cares that 31 other fandoms make the same claim?

Sometimes, you just have to have a sense of humor

Reply/Quote

[Image: 1y48yj.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 11:01 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: From the years I worked in radio, that's not entirely true.  There is quite a bit of flexibility in certain breaks during a broadcast, which is how they're able to ensure they don't cut out in the middle of a big play during a game.  There are a certain number of breaks needed, and some of that is driven by the commercial needs, but it's not 100% forced on the timing.  

All I know is that if you change the channel during a commercial break you will almost always find commercials on all the channels.
Reply/Quote
They will go to commercial break and Bengals will trade back at the same time and another team's pick will be delayed..
Reply/Quote

Usually they have burned up the commercials they need to run by the end of the draft and they just power through to finish so I'd say odds are pretty good we will be fine. 
Reply/Quote

That is a high percent. I will go with the under 98.7% and say 50/50% chance.

I love the draft, but I am a guy who watches every NFL game each week so know most teams very well. It is interesting to see them attack their weaknesses via the draft.

I also wonder if the WR class blows up in rounds 1 and 2, some based on talent, but a lot based on record breaking prices to sign WR's to future contracts. To me the high priced positions seem to get over drafted. In past it was QB position based on future contracts and 5th year option, in 2022 I think GM's have to be thinking about any WR who is great or very good how much it will take to sign them versus a rookie deal.

I can't wait to see it play out.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Forth and inches, end of the forth quarter with 2 seconds left and Bengals are down by five..Burrow back to throw, Chase is wide open in the endzone AND...Our toilet paper is stronger and softer than a babies butt! Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick? Time for a Papa Schmuck's pizza! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 11:08 AM)pally Wrote: Fred, every Bengals fan KNOWS that this happens every year.  Who cares that 31 other fandoms make the same claim?

Sometimes, you just have to have a sense of humor

it does happen every year or did but things change... Like the Refs being on our side last year lol
Reply/Quote
They should have a big question bonfire every February on the 50 yardline right in the middle of the B.. Just heap one burning question on top of the other till there are no more questions left, burning or not..  Just why are questions usually burning and not just kind of warm? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I’m pretty sure they show all of the first round picks live on TV so if they keep 31 then you should see it.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 12:55 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I’m pretty sure they show all of the first round picks live on TV so if they keep 31 then you should see it.

they do... First round and usually 2nd and 3rd where they have special guest pick announcers...   

Last day of the draft though the coverage is horrible and so far behind the picks
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 12:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: They should have a big question bonfire every February on the 50 yardline right in the middle of the B.. Just heap one burning question on top of the other till there are no more questions left, burning or not..  Just why are questions usually burning and not just kind of warm? 

The biggest burning question I have today is "Why does that happen when I pee?"
Reply/Quote

I don't work in the television industry, but I have several friends who do. There are 2 kinds of commercial breaks. What you are referring to is a hard break that is scheduled at an exact time and there's no getting around it. Then there are soft breaks where the producers can play around with the timing. 
Reply/Quote
I will enjoy watching the Podcast people lose it when Linderbum is not the pick. We are not throwing a second round pick away after 1 year Carmen is getting his shot at LG this year.
Reply/Quote

lol...my 98.7% guess was too low....they went to commercial with the Bengals on the clock (and pick already in according to media)

Reply/Quote