Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Run Game
(10-25-2022, 09:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This team unlike last year’s team has only 1 weakness. That is running the ball which as mentioned by Nepa and the OP Kettering. Last year our pass pro and run game and Apple at CB were issues. If this OL can continue to improve we are better equipped for the SB. But we’ve got to get better in the run game. I actually think it will get better. Let’s hope so.

id add no real pass rush to the weakness list. Other then Trey its VERY MEH
and when we play a team that has a dude like this; Watt, Parsons, Garrett and see how they impact a game it just pisses me off that they never seem to prioritize these edge players through FA or Draft. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Damn, I knew his numbers were bad, but had no idea that they were THAT bad.

Seems like after he got his money, he just decided to do the whole 'quiet quitting' thing..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:18 AM)kalibengal Wrote: id add no real pass rush to the weakness list. Other then Trey its VERY MEH
and when we play a team that has a dude like this; Watt, Parsons, Garrett and see how they impact a game it just pisses me off that they never seem to prioritize these edge players through FA or Draft. 

I may be wrong on both accounts but I believe the only LB they drafted in the 1st round in the past 15 years was Keith Rivers 14 years ago. And I can't remember either a DE/DT that they drafted in the 1st round the past 15 years.

Carlos Dunlap, while a 1st round grade and talent, was taken in the 2nd round and Burfict, while a 1st round talent, was a FA pick due to multiple issues.

Regarding the running game, I'm not sure they need to a running game to be efficient on all downs, 1-4, but they need to be better on 1st down, in my opinion.Cinci. uses the pass as a running play these days just as Brady and NE did for years. BUT, 1st down is huge when you have 3 great WR's and a TE that can stretch.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Damn, I knew his numbers were bad, but had no idea that they were THAT bad.

Seems like after he got his money, he just decided to do the whole 'quiet quitting' thing..

He has been one of the, if not the worst back in the league. Here is an efficiency plotting, EPA per attempt and YPC.

[Image: E2zdFes.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Atrocious.

Can’t waste another year of Burrow’s rookie contract with him as our featured RB. He’s below replacement level at this point.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:43 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: He has been one of the, if not the worst back in the league. Here is an efficiency plotting, EPA per attempt and YPC.

[Image: E2zdFes.png]

I know I have stood up for Mixon recently, but he has regressed since his string of decent games. I dont know if he is injured or what is going on but it's a completely unfair to the rest of this team to continue to run him out there. Perine and Evans need more reps. It's time. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:53 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The "Chuck and Duck" as their DC Bum Phillips tabbed their offense and by the way he ended up punching the OC over it on the sideline because he frequently was putting the D in such bad positions.  

Wouldn't say the Bengals mirror that offense exactly but former Louisville WR Ernest Givens was really fun to watch on that team and Warren Moon does not get the credit he deserves imo.  

Buddy Ryan once punched Kevin Gilbride, so yeah, cool story. 
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 02:50 PM)pally Wrote:

Zac did a good job of talking around that one lol. People are saying Evan's should be getting some of Mixon's opportunities because Mixon isnt making the most of them.... To be fair to Zac though if the Bengals really were trying to go after Cam Akers before the deadline they know RB has been an issue.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 02:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Zac did a good job of talking around that one lol. People are saying Evan's should be getting some of Mixon's opportunities because Mixon isnt making the most of them.... To be fair to Zac though if the Bengals really were trying to go after Cam Akers before the deadline they know RB has been an issue.

Then Perine and Evans should be getting carries. 

It literally can't get any worse and continuing to run Mixon out there is just asinine. It's like running Huber out there with Chrisman on the PS. There are other options available. You have to at least try to fix it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 03:50 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Then Perine and Evans should be getting carries. 

It literally can't get any worse and continuing to run Mixon out there is just asinine. It's like running Huber out there with Chrisman on the PS. There are other options available. You have to at least try to fix it. 

Sometimes benching a player serves as a good wake-up call.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bench Mixon, call up Jaques Patric from the PS (send Thomas down) and use that backfield - it can't be worse than this.
Reply/Quote
I have been a Mixon defender. He got a lot of unneeded hate over the years. I am sure some of that is due to his past, some due to his contract. He has carried the ball behind these trash bags of an O-line for years. Time and time again, he gets the ball and there are three defenders already in the backfield to meet him, but he still gets the blame.

That said, he is pretty bad now. Like really, really bad...at everything

Now, the line still is not great, and these dumb toss plays and runs from shotgun are garbage, but add in his decline, it makes for just sickening displays. For years, RBs have had shorter and shorter careers and/or times of relevance. Pro Bowl back released and to another team two years later. I think Mixon went from good to atrocious in record time. Time to do something...anything...different.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 06:49 PM)Destro Wrote: I have been a Mixon defender. He got a lot of unneeded hate over the years. I am sure some of that is due to his past, some due to his contract. He has carried the ball behind these trash bags of an O-line for years. Time and time again, he gets the ball and there are three defenders already in the backfield to meet him, but he still gets the blame.

That said, he is pretty bad now. Like really, really bad...at everything

Now, the line still is not great, and these dumb toss plays and runs from shotgun are garbage, but add in his decline, it makes for just sickening displays. For years, RBs have had shorter and shorter careers and/or times of relevance. Pro Bowl back released and to another team two years later. I think Mixon went from good to atrocious in record time. Time to do something...anything...different.

As a unit of 5, the OL looks very pedestrian, especially when focusing on pass protection grades.  However, when you look at run blocking from the interior, that's where the movement is happening.  They need to take what is there, up the middle is there, utilize it!  

Heck, from shotgun they could even fake the toss right play and counter to the Left and typically gain good yardage.  If casual fans can observe missed opportunities like that, you know that the coaches see it too.  It's either a lack of desire to run the ball on the part of the coaches, or the player (Mixon), and from what we've seen over the years from him, I'm leaning toward Mixon has lost some fire.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:43 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: He has been one of the, if not the worst back in the league. Here is an efficiency plotting, EPA per attempt and YPC.

Christ, that graph and the previous stats... what in the heck has happened to Joe Mixon.

I imagine he plays the same snaps the rest of the year just due to contract and no obvious replacement, but I really do not see what we'd be losing by just playing Perine and Evans when Mixon is producing these numbers. Like I said about Mitchel Wilcox's long snapping, just get a guy from this forum to play RB and he'd match Mixon's production.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a unit of 5, the OL looks very pedestrian, especially when focusing on pass protection grades.  However, when you look at run blocking from the interior, that's where the movement is happening.  They need to take what is there, up the middle is there, utilize it!  

Heck, from shotgun they could even fake the toss right play and counter to the Left and typically gain good yardage.  If casual fans can observe missed opportunities like that, you know that the coaches see it too.  It's either a lack of desire to run the ball on the part of the coaches, or the player (Mixon), and from what we've seen over the years from him, I'm leaning toward Mixon has lost some fire.

Problem is Mixon wants to still be Le'veon Bell. News flash: I have as many yards rushing this year as he does. 

I swear every time I saw a play action pass it went for good yardage, then we go away from it. It is like throwing to Hurst. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Damn, I knew his numbers were bad, but had no idea that they were THAT bad.

There's a broken tackle stat and he's generally been one of the worst at breaking tackles all year.

And Burrow kept throwing him short passes with a 1 on 1 matchup vs Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:48 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Christ, that graph and the previous stats... what in the heck has happened to Joe Mixon.

I imagine he plays the same snaps the rest of the year just due to contract and no obvious replacement, but I really do not see what we'd be losing by just playing Perine and Evans when Mixon is producing these numbers. Like I said about Mitchel Wilcox's long snapping, just get a guy from this forum to play RB and he'd match Mixon's production.

There's a lot of evidence out there that a rb production falls in year 6. It's why you don't give them a large 2nd contract.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 08:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's a broken tackle stat and he's generally been one of the worst at breaking tackles all year.

And Burrow kept throwing him short passes with a 1 on 1 matchup vs Browns.

If you can't wiggle enough to make someone miss, or exert enough burst to get through the initial hit, you're pretty much washed as an NFL RB.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 07:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you can't wiggle enough to make someone miss, or exert enough burst to get through the initial hit, you're pretty much washed as an NFL RB.

And at this point it's looking like he is. In other words I seriously doubt we're going to see a 2nd half resurgence this season.

I'm all for giving Perine a try.
Reply/Quote