Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Steelers Never Take Us Seriously, Let's Hope Next Week Is Different
(10-08-2018, 09:03 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Being a realist based on 26 years.  Make me out a liar Bengals!  I double dare you!!

They already have:

Bengals don't do well on the road...won 2 of 3.
Bengals don't do well in prime time...won on Thurs Night Football
Bengals don't win the close games...beat ATL with 7 sec left
Bengals don't come back when behind by 14 or more...scored 27 unanswered in a quarter and a half to win by ten vs MIA.
Bengals don't beat good teams...BAL and MIA were both in 1st or tied for 1st when we played them, ATL has a really good O.

The Bengals have bucked history in virtually every game this season. But you'll just wait for the next loss and come back posting pitiful "I told you so" posts, even though nobody expects the Bengals to go 15-1.

And all pessimists claim they are realists.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 10:09 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Glad to see folk like you, michaelsean, that aren't afraid to rest the laurels on the history .... hoping it will change, but until it does ....

Not saying it over and over, ad nauseam, is not necessarily not knowing it and does not place one on a lower plane than the self exalted.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I so badly want to beat the bathroom rapist, but I have to temper my expectations when it comes to Pittsburgh. I take the agnostic approach thinking we can win the game, but not sure I’ll see it until I actually see it
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 08:38 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I so badly want to beat the bathroom rapist, but I have to temper my expectations when it comes to Pittsburgh. I take the agnostic approach thinking we can win the game, but not sure I’ll see it until I actually see it

I take the same approach.  Beating them is something I don't think will happen but it doesn't mean I think it can't happen.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 08:28 PM)McC Wrote: Not saying it over and over, ad nauseam, is not necessarily not knowing it and does not place one on a lower plane than the self exalted.

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst being stated, publicly, by half dozen people, at most, is ad nauseam, but the positive homers AREN'T??  Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 09:42 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst being stated, publicly, by half dozen people, at most, is ad nauseam, but the positive homers AREN'T??  Cool

We differ on homer being a dirty word.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 08:10 PM)Beaker Wrote: They already have:

Bengals don't do well on the road...won 2 of 3.

I think Dalton has done pretty good on the road, but outside of a few teams, who does well on the road in the NFL??

Bengals don't do well in prime time...won on Thurs Night Football

Bengals normally play anywhere from 2-4 big stage games, and rarely win more than one a year.  (I call them 'big stage' because that counts playoff and London games as well.  Games that are played when no other team is playing at the same time!)

Bengals don't win the close games...beat ATL with 7 sec left

Not sure where this has been documented as a 'history' problem.

Bengals don't come back when behind by 14 or more...scored 27 unanswered in a quarter and a half to win by ten vs MIA.

(See above reply)

Bengals don't beat good teams...BAL and MIA were both in 1st or tied for 1st when we played them, ATL has a really good O.

Bengals have owned the Ravens in at least the last ten games. Ravens own Steelers, Steelers own Bengals.  Atlanta has a really good O except when they play the Steelers.

The Bengals have bucked history in virtually every game this season. But you'll just wait for the next loss and come back posting pitiful "I told you so" posts, even though nobody expects the Bengals to go 15-1.

History will be rewritten when the Bengals can stop letting the Steelers beat them with 'button pushing fear' because they (Steelers) know they need that edge to beat them, but the Bengals, ever since 1990, keep 'giving in'.

When PB had the team the Bengals were just a game under .500 with the head to head meetings with the Steelers.

History will also be written when they can start winning more than one 'big stage' game when they have 3 or more in a year.

Finally, history will be rewritten when they win one or more playoff games which they haven't been able to do in the last 26 years.

Bengals have completed 50 years, as a franchise, with 5 playoff victories.

Jaguars have completed 23 years, as a franchise, with 7 playoff victories.

And all pessimists claim they are realists.

That's as REAL as it gets!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 09:50 PM)McC Wrote: We differ on homer being a dirty word.

Never said it was a 'dirty' word.  Put in 'positive' if you want.

It's one thing for someone to claim to be a fan and 'hope' they lose just to be right, (which I've seen many do here with Dalton) and another for one to hope and root for the best but expect the worst based on what's transpired in the last 26 years.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Never said it was a 'dirty' word.  Put in 'positive' if you want.

It's one thing for someone to claim to be a fan and 'hope' they lose just to be right, (which I've seen many do here with Dalton) and another for one to hope and root for the best but expect the worst based on what's transpired in the last 26 years.

I'm just saying, imo, Bengal fans don't need the captain bringdown around to try to put a dent in their happiness.  They've seen it all and they know all of it and remember it all like it was yesterday.  That torch always burns.  Nobody needs to ride it through the streets.

Basically, why is it such a ***** crime for fans who have suffered aplenty to get a little giddy and have some fun and even get a little carried away?  I've never seen the benefit of raining on anybody else's parade.

If it's not about finding the joy, what's the ***** point?

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:34 PM)McC Wrote: I'm just saying, imo, Bengal fans don't need the captain bringdown around to try to put a dent in their happiness.  They've seen it all and they know all of it and remember it all like it was yesterday.  That torch always burns.  Nobody needs to ride it through the streets.

Basically, why is it such a ***** crime for fans who have suffered aplenty to get a little giddy and have some fun and even get a little carried away?  I've never seen the benefit of raining on anybody else's parade.

If it's not about finding the joy, what's the ***** point?

If I truly believe in something or someone, NOBODY is going to 'rain on my parade'.  I couldn't care less what ANYBODY else thinks.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I WANT them to beat the Steelers on Sunday, like the Jags did during the season last year.  But, until the Bengals show they can stop letting them get into their heads, I can only 'expect' what's happened time and time again to repeat itself.

When Burfict made the interception in the 2015 playoff game, my son couldn't understand why I wasn't dancing around the house.  He was telling me, "Dad, it's OVER!!  Ballgame!!  They got the ball in their own redzone!!"

I told him, 'Son, as a Bengals fan, ever since MB has taken over, I've learned one thing, you don't celebrate until the Bengals are at least a point ahead, the clock says 0:00, and there are no yellow flags on the field.

2009 when they won and swept the division and were playing the Jets at home, I thought there was no way they could lose to the Jets and Mark Sanchez!

It is what it is, and all I can say is don't let ANYONE steal your joy, because, it doesn't make ANY difference what ANYONE else thinks as far as what will happen at game time!!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote:  to hope and root for the best but expect the worst based on what's transpired in the last 26 years.

Past history does not ensure future results. So you can keep putting history forth in an effort to disguise your pessimism, but truth is, "fans" like you are part of the problem.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 08:38 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I so badly want to beat the bathroom rapist, but I have to temper my expectations when it comes to Pittsburgh. I take the agnostic approach thinking we can win the game, but not sure I’ll see it until I actually see it

(10-08-2018, 08:55 PM)McC Wrote: I take the same approach.  Beating them is something I don't think will happen but it doesn't mean I think it can't happen.

This Sunday will be the true Litmus test to really gauge how much the Bengals have changed in 2018...
Reply/Quote
We got this matchup i believe. Shitsburgh has looked bad from.what ive seen. The only thing bad i can see happening is the refs throwing tez out and handing pitt the game like normal. Talent level , their fans think they are so talented, i dont see it at all and big ben has been throwing wildly from what i watched hes not the same ben he once was. But i agree we cant lose this one, this win would make us feel great beating our most hated enemy. And really sink shitsburgh at the same time. If only our fans would go to the game and keep their fans out and rock that stadium to help out.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:37 PM)Beaker Wrote: Past history does not ensure future results. So you can keep putting history forth in an effort to disguise your pessimism, but truth is, "fans" like you are part of the problem.

Clapping +rep
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 08:18 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Clapping +rep

Part of what problem?  Franchise failure? The team shoots itself in the foot because some fans? PLLEEEAAASSSEEE!

Seriously, I'd love to hear what problem us fans are part of.
Reply/Quote
I’m quite sure the Steelers take us seriously. We are a division opponent. This game has ratcheted up over the last several years. What Pittsburgh knows is all they have to do is not panic and keep the game close in the 4th quarter and watch us typically implode.

Hopefully the new coordinators and players are enough to not let that happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 10:42 PM)samhain Wrote: I think Mixon will be the key to next week's game.  If he can get going early, then the Steelers pass rush will have to respect him and hold back a bit going after Andy.  The play of the o-line was troubling today.  The Fins were getting hands on Andy quite a bit and there were several near misses that would have gotten a QB with less awareness killed.  

TJ Watt has been a terror this year, and Dupree is no slouch, either.  They are, however, a fairly pedestrian linebacking corps up the middle with Shazier gone.  There's no super-fast seeker like him to wreak havoc anymore.  This needs to be exploited early.  

I think Gio is missed more than many might realize.  Not having that security blanket to dump off to when everyone downfield is covered has to be tough on a QB.  I think this was evident today and will need to be resolved before next week.

Watt's had two games where he was a terror. 3 sacks in two games. What about the other games? 

Unfortunately, I think he can have another 3 against Bobby Hart. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 09:20 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I’m quite sure the Steelers take us seriously.  We are a division opponent.  This game has ratcheted up over the last several years.  What Pittsburgh knows is all they have to do is not panic and keep the game close in the 4th quarter and watch us typically implode.

Hopefully the new coordinators and players are enough to not let that happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100% with this.....as for the bolded.....I think it's the new coaches(and not just the coordinators)....and our vets really coming into their own.  You couple that with some young, very talented, and very confident young players....this team has become rather resilient in a very short time.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree 100% with this.....as for the bolded.....I think it's the new coaches(and not just the coordinators)....and our vets really coming into their own.  You couple that with some young, very talented, and very confident young players....this team has become rather resilient in a very short time.

I feel like we the fans, come up with reasoning before a game with the Steelers on how this year will be different for a vast amount of reasons and yet still lose.

I don't think we are going to win this one at all. In fact I hope we dont get blown out with a score of 35-17. I would love nothing more than to beat these assholes...but we never do....no matter the coaching change, player change. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: It's one thing for someone to claim to be a fan and 'hope' they lose just to be right, (which I've seen many do here with Dalton) and another for one to hope and root for the best but expect the worst based on what's transpired in the last 26 years.

And it is another thing for someone to get so upset when things are going well that he has to start a thread devoted to imagining what bad stuff is going to happen.

It is okay to expect the worst.  It is another thing to obsess on it so much that you spend time trying to decide what bad things are going to happen.
Reply/Quote