Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
The Steelers are just better than the Bengals
(11-09-2018, 12:50 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .....who changed coaches.....

That’s certainly a big part of it. Especially when you’re replacing a coach as inept as Jeff Fisher.

Unfortunately we’re probably not going to get the opportunity to see what this core (Andy, AJ, Geno, Los) could do under a better coach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 12:11 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Of course they are better.  You can hate the team with a burning passion and still recognize the simple truth of the matter.  

Having said that, I am curious what the team will look like once they lose their HOF QB.  Of course, knowing our luck Mason Rudolph will come in and lay waste to everyone.

They'll draft another QB high when Ben is actually going to retire.  The Steelers aren't known for turning late-round QBs into HOFers.  Bradshaw was the 1st overall pick, they took Ben at #11.  Getting a lot out of Rudolph is possible, but it would go against their history.

Anyways, the whole "just wait til' Ben retires" mindset is loser talk, but I can see why we have it.  It's a shame after the promise of our 2011 reboot that we technically had to wait a decade or so to actually have a chance at blah blah blah.  Who cares...even when we won the division some other team kicked our unworthy arses out of the playoffs.

Honestly, we've been better than the Steelers what...9 or 10 times in the past 50 years?  What else is new.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 12:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed.  Our line has improved, but realistically, there were WAY too many holes to improve in one offseason.  They did a pretty good job addressing it, but there is more work to do.  If they can manage another good offseason there, we should be in good shape in '19.  Look how the offense is playing with even a decent unit.

The issues with the O-Line have been several years in the making, so it should have been dealt with in more than one off season. They waited until it was a complete disaster before starting to address it. Too late, always reactive and NEVER proactive. The one constant in football over the decades has been you need to win in the trenches. 

Paul Brown led teams generally had good lines on both sides. Mike Brown led teams not even close.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 12:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s certainly a big part of it. Especially when you’re replacing a coach as inept as Jeff Fisher.

Unfortunately we’re probably not going to get the opportunity to see what this core (Andy, AJ, Geno, Los) could do under a better coach.

Yes sir....and Philly replaced Chip Kelly.  We have wasted two cores thus far......and with the amount of times these guys (including the Palmer era), have made some brilliant fourth quarter comebacks....I have a hard time believing ALL OF THEM are choke artists.  I think we get out coached when the lights are the brightest, because face it, in those scenarios, you're facing the cream of the league.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:02 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The issues with the O-Line have been several years in the making, so it should have been dealt with in more than one off season. They waited until it was a complete disaster before starting to address it. Too late, always reactive and NEVER proactive. The one constant in football over the decades has been you need to win in the trenches. 

Oh, I absolutely agree.  They effed up to the point where it had to be fixed in one offseason, and it just wasn't feasible.  The removal of Piano Paul.....FINALLY....was a huge step in the right direction, now they just have to get the proper personnel.  I said at the beginning of the season that 9-7 is the ceiling for this team.....and considering the last two years, that isn't too bad.  They absolutely MUST be aggressive in the coming offseason to give our aging core of players a chance to finally have some success.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:05 PM)Wyche Wrote:  They absolutely MUST be aggressive in the coming offseason to give our aging core of players a chance to finally have some success.

Yet we will know they will not be.

They will rely on the draft - so in the first two rounds they need 2 OL, 2 LB's, a TE and a WR.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 12:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That, it isn't.

You can say their front 7 is better, but not Dline.

I can say whatever I like and I think the DL (their 3 is better than our 4), call it scheme or whatever, but Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrove get more push consistently than our DL or as much. On the running game Hargrove is a space eater and 2X better run defender NT than our DT's.

Last night the Steeler's DL dominated the Panthers OL, 5 sacks and a ton of pressures. McCaffrey did find running lanes, but normall outside the tackle box (LB responsibility and not DL).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't think either the Steelers or the Bengals will make any noise in the post season. Why?

They play each other week 17 and usually neither one of them leave without getting beat up no matter who wins.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:10 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't think either the Steelers or the Bengals will make any noise in the post season. Why?

They play each other week 17 and usually neither one of them leave without getting beat up no matter who wins.

They’ll probably have the division locked up and rest their starters.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:06 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Yet we will know they will not be.

Meh.....prior to this year, I would agree.  This season, they essentially parlayed their first round pick into a promising young center, and at least a decent LT.  Those were the biggest reasons Andy Dalton was murdered last season.  We had a backup center (at best), a LT that shouldn't be anything more than practice squad fodder, an aging RT that had to play all over the line to compensate for the fact that neither of our young tackles should be on a NFL roster, and old man Eric Winston out there playing what was left of his ass off out there.  Even though Hart is backup material, even he is an improvement over that.  They have gotten good service out of undrafted Trey Hopkins filling in for Price.  We have 4 new starters on the oline this season, and the scheme and coaching is better now.  

They've never done this that I can remember under Son of Paul.  So, if the trend continues this season....I don't see why they can't get it fixed by TC.  They get at least another tackle, I think you'll see marked improvement.  The thing is, they'll have to be more aggressive than last year, meaning, dare I say it, an impact FA on the oline, or at LB.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:10 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't think either the Steelers or the Bengals will make any noise in the post season. Why?

The way things are now (and subject to change, of course) we play the Steelers in week 17 and then we play them in the WC round.  So we will be too beat up to beat them...then we will be back in the familiar position of praying the Patriots/Cheifs can prevent the Steelers from winning a 7th SB because lord knows WE can't stop them.

(11-09-2018, 01:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Meh.....prior to this year, I would agree.  This season, they essentially parlayed their first round pick into a promising young center, and at least a decent LT.  Those were the biggest reasons Andy Dalton was murdered last season.  We had a backup center (at best), a LT that shouldn't be anything more than practice squad fodder, an aging RT that had to play all over the line to compensate for the fact that neither of our young tackles should be on a NFL roster, and old man Eric Winston out there playing what was left of his ass off out there.  Even though Hart is backup material, even he is an improvement over that.  They have gotten good service out of undrafted Trey Hopkins filling in for Price.  We have 4 new starters on the oline this season, and the scheme and coaching is better now.  

They've never done this that I can remember under Son of Paul.  So, if the trend continues this season....I don't see why they can't get it fixed by TC.  They get at least another tackle, I think you'll see marked improvement.  The thing is, they'll have to be more aggressive than last year, meaning, dare I say it, an impact FA on the oline, or at LB.

It's possible, but I don't see this as a sign Mike Brown has turned over a new leaf, rather I picture him dusting off his hands and saying "There...I did something after waiting for 2 years.  My job here is done, back to the status quo."  I just don't see Mike Brown building upon this accomplishment when the rest of his resume shows he loves to spend years resting on every plateau.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’ll probably have the division locked up and rest their starters.

Even if the Bengals don't challenge that week 17 the Steelers could be competing with the Patriots for a first round bye and home field up until the AFC Championship game. That is where that tie could hurt them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's possible, but I don't see this as a sign Mike Brown has turned over a new leaf, rather I picture him dusting off his hands and saying "There...I did something after waiting for 2 years.  My job here is done, back to the status quo."  I just don't see Mike Brown building upon this accomplishment when the rest of his resume shows he loves to spend years resting on every plateau.

Solid point Nately, I'll give you that.  However, there were A LOT of changes this year.....besides one glaring one.  I mean, the lifer is gone.  Did you see that coming?  I didn't.  It certainly changed my perspective.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The way things are now (and subject to change, of course) we play the Steelers in week 17 and then we play them in the WC round.  So we will be too beat up to beat them...then we will be back in the familiar position of praying the Patriots/Cheifs can prevent the Steelers from winning a 7th SB because lord knows WE can't stop them.

It was very close week 6. And damn were the Bengals beat up after that game...which ultimately lead to a stomping on Sunday Night Football by the Chiefs.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:26 PM)Synric Wrote: It was very close week 6.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: Solid point Nately, I'll give you that.  However, there were A LOT of changes this year.....besides one glaring one.  I mean, the lifer is gone.  Did you see that coming?  I didn't.  It certainly changed my perspective.

I didn't see them getting rid of PA, I'll admit.  I DID however foresee us getting rid of him after an insanely long time and then any other team giving him about 15 seconds to prove his worth before they tossed him out.

But again, lots of changes makes me think Mike Brown will be more likely to be satisfied that he's been proactive.  He's been proactive enough this year to last for another decade!  Ugh.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I didn't see them getting rid of PA, I'll admit.  I DID however foresee us getting rid of him after an insanely long time and then any other team giving him about 15 seconds to prove his worth before they tossed him out.

But again, lots of changes makes me think Mike Brown will be more likely to be satisfied that he's been proactive.  He's been proactive enough this year to last for another decade!  Ugh.

......that's what scares me.  Good Lord I hope you're wrong... Tongue

I foresaw that as well.....how could you not? :paul:

Reply/Quote
Since 2011

Bengals record against teams other than Pitt 67-36-2 .648
Pitt record against teams other than Bengals 67-38-1 .637

There is no reasonable explanation for why they have so thoroughly dominated us. They really have not been that much better to justify a 12-3 advantage.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Meh.....prior to this year, I would agree.  This season, they essentially parlayed their first round pick into a promising young center, and at least a decent LT.  Those were the biggest reasons Andy Dalton was murdered last season.  We had a backup center (at best), a LT that shouldn't be anything more than practice squad fodder, an aging RT that had to play all over the line to compensate for the fact that neither of our young tackles should be on a NFL roster, and old man Eric Winston out there playing what was left of his ass off out there.  Even though Hart is backup material, even he is an improvement over that.  They have gotten good service out of undrafted Trey Hopkins filling in for Price.  We have 4 new starters on the oline this season, and the scheme and coaching is better now.  

Hart has been an improvement, but still isn't the long-term fix we need (something I think you recognize too). Once he is replaced, I don't even want him as a backup if at all possible. I'm not even sure Glenn is better than a good backup T, which may be overly harsh to say. But Hell, when the entire unit isn't as good as needed, everything is subject for improvement. Upgrades at backups across the board are needed imo, but that's probably being greedy. Then again, you usually won't get it unless you ask for it.  Ninja 

The LB group needs new leadership ala what Frank Pollack has done for the Oline. Give me a LB coach version of Pollack, and let him sort out personnel, and see where it all lands after that.  Whether that means Burfict or Brown remains is something I really don't care to invest time in tbh. What once was or could have been doesn't matter. We need production now. Give us modern day schemes with competent players who consistently execute what they're being coached, and move on to the next area of need.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I didn't see them getting rid of PA, I'll admit.  I DID however foresee us getting rid of him after an insanely long time and then any other team giving him about 15 seconds to prove his worth before they tossed him out.

If Cowboys are so good at judging O-line coaches that means Pollack sucks also.  You want us to get rid of him too?
Reply/Quote