Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Time Has Come
I want to start by saying how much I respect Marvin Lewis for what he has done for this organization. He took this franchise from the dark ages and turned them into a perennial contender. He's been masterful at building rosters and maintaining a high level of talent. He's also a very good human being, who has been very giving and involved in the community and charitable organizations.

Making the playoffs 5 years in a row, and 6 of the last 7 years, is one hell of an accomplishment. He has developed a repeatable blueprint for regular season success. He has also put some very good coaches in positions to succeed and become hot commodities in the NFL. He has done all these things, and deserves all the recognition in the world for it.

However, when all the hard word and accomplishments have placed his team in a situation to achieve the ultimate end goal, postseason success, he and his teams have failed all 7 times. Marvin has said on more than one occasion that "Just getting there isn't enough". But, 7 different times now, 'just getting there' is all we've done.

A certain portion of the fan base has, and continues to make, a myriad of excuses for each of the playoff failures. Some are legit, while others are not, at least in my opinion. But regardless of the excuses, the explaining away, the defense of each loss...the undeniable truth is that there have been 7 opportunities to get ONE playoff win, and we're still staring at a goose egg. Once again, instead of celebrating a playoff victory, our consolation prize is excuses and 'at least we had a good regular season'.

With the loss last night, the Bengals have now extended their own record for consecutive one and done's. Marvin now stands alone as the only head coach in the entire history of the NFL to lose 7 straight playoff games. And of course those records, in combination with the overall playoff victory drought, leaves us with a current postseason history that's just mind-boggling.

Now, some will say that you can't blame Marvin for these things. Others will say that his regular season accomplishments outweigh the postseason failures. And then there will be the 'it could always be worse' or 'we'll go back to the 90's' crowd. But, to all of those people, I would ask...when is enough enough? When is 'not good enough' not good enough? At what point do you say something's gotta give or be changed?

13 years. 7 opportunities. 0 playoff victories. All the excuses, reasoning, defending and fear of change can't alter the fact that Marvin Lewis teams simply cannot win when it matters the most...on the playoff stage. If you say you want Marvin to remain as the HC, after everything I've talked about, then when exactly would you ever want to make a change? I know some will give the 'enjoy the ride' advice. Enjoying the ride is fine, and I think that the overwhelming majority do. It's the fact that the ride always end up in the ditch that is the problem.

IMO, it's time for a change. After all this time and all these chances, the playoff hurdle is still standing strong. After 13 years, I honestly think this team needs a new voice, a new style, and new approach. If what you're doing isn't leading to the desired result, and has failed to so time after time, then there comes a point where not making a change becomes the biggest failing of all.
Reply/Quote
It's a catch 22.

You better bet a "change" from Marvin would also bring quite a change in personnel. Many players would not necessarily want to stick around and many others may have completely different attitudes.

It would be a big risk, if you think this team still has the core to win.
Reply/Quote
In other words, fire Marvin.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
We missed the boat when Zimmer went to Minnesota and we failed to fire Marvin. About to miss it again when Hue signs with the 49ers later today.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I want to start by saying how much I respect Marvin Lewis for what he has done for this organization. He took this franchise from the dark ages and turned them into a perennial contender. He's been masterful at building rosters and maintaining a high level of talent. He's also a very good human being, who has been very giving and involved in the community and charitable organizations.

Making the playoffs 5 years in a row, and 6 of the last 7 years, is one hell of an accomplishment. He has developed a repeatable blueprint for regular season success. He has also put some very good coaches in positions to succeed and become hot commodities in the NFL. He has done all these things, and deserves all the recognition in the world for it.

However, when all the hard word and accomplishments have placed his team in a situation to achieve the ultimate end goal, postseason success, he and his teams have failed all 7 times. Marvin has said on more than one occasion that "Just getting there isn't enough". But, 7 different times now, 'just getting there' is all we've done.

A certain portion of the fan base has, and continues to make, a myriad of excuses for each of the playoff failures. Some are legit, while others are not, at least in my opinion. But regardless of the excuses, the explaining away, the defense of each loss...the undeniable truth is that there have been 7 opportunities to get ONE playoff win, and we're still staring at a goose egg. Once again, instead of celebrating a playoff victory, our consolation prize is excuses and 'at least we had a good regular season'.

With the loss last night, the Bengals have now extended their own record for consecutive one and done's. Marvin now stands alone as the only head coach in the entire history of the NFL to lose 7 straight playoff games. And of course those records, in combination with the overall playoff victory drought, leaves us with a current postseason history that's just mind-boggling.

Now, some will say that you can't blame Marvin for these things. Others will say that his regular season accomplishments outweigh the postseason failures. And then there will be the 'it could always be worse' or 'we'll go back to the 90's' crowd. But, to all of those people, I would ask...when is enough enough? When is 'not good enough' not good enough? At what point do you say something's gotta give or be changed?

13 years. 7 opportunities. 0 playoff victories. All the excuses, reasoning, defending and fear of change can't alter the fact that Marvin Lewis teams simply cannot win when it matters the most...on the playoff stage. If you say you want Marvin to remain as the HC, after everything I've talked about, then when exactly would you ever want to make a change? I know some will give the 'enjoy the ride' advice. Enjoying the ride is fine, and I think that the overwhelming majority do. It's the fact that the ride always end up in the ditch that is the problem.

IMO, it's time for a change. After all this time and all these chances, the playoff hurdle is still standing strong. After 13 years, I honestly think this team needs a new voice, a new style, and new approach. If what you're doing isn't leading to the desired result, and has failed to so time after time, then there comes a point where not making a change becomes the biggest failing of all.

0-7 in the playoffs. Enough is enough. The meltdown last night is a direct reflection of his leadership. He can't control his players. 

Marvin needs to go. The worst part of it is though is that we lost one of the premier coaches in the league to the Vikings. Zimmer should be heading this ship right now. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I wonder what will go through Mike Brown's mind if Mike Zimmer wins this game.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The time was here a while ago, but it is really evident now. We need an entirely new coaching staff to change the atmosphere around here. Too bad it won't happen.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
To be completely honest, I'm extremely disappointed the news of his release has not yet been announced.
It's all I'm looking for in the news today, and what should've been released in the news already.
People say, "It will never happen." Well, if that's the case, that will be like a double whammy after that shocker last night. It just has to happen, and if not already, within hours...
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
People keep saying what a great guy Lewis is, but so what he had 12 seasons to win a playoff game and failed to do so. I look at Lewis like Obama a good guy a gentleman but not a leader.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown Curse Lives
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I want to start by saying how much I respect Marvin Lewis for what he has done for this organization. He took this franchise from the dark ages and turned them into a perennial contender. He's been masterful at building rosters and maintaining a high level of talent. He's also a very good human being, who has been very giving and involved in the community and charitable organizations.

Agree.  We need a new approach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:43 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I wonder what will go through Mike Brown's mind if Mike Zimmer wins this game.

It would be fitting. Just to cement how horrible his judgment really is. But Mike Brown will not care. His best friend Marvin keeping his job is WAY more important than winning a stupid game. Loyalty is one thing, but this is just ridiculous! 
Reply/Quote
I really have to root for the Vikings now.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
It won't happen. Lewis has the excuse of him almost winning with a backup QB, and having a 12-4 record.
Reply/Quote
Sorry, I just don't see Marvin going anywhere. This team prides itself on continuity. They do not believe in knee-jerk personnel decisions. A team that operates by the Bengals model doesn't fire a coach that goes 12-4.
Reply/Quote
His players just got him fired. (Should be at least, who knows) It's tough, but true. We were in position, we had the right calls made, and Hill, Burfict, and Pacman gift-wrapped it for the Steelers. What should have been Lewis's first win and perhaps a run in the playoffs is for naught.

I think Lewis would/will make a good executive somewhere. I really would like it to be here, he's done A LOT for this team and he deserves respect for that. He just can't do the rest for whatever reason, and we need to find a guy who can.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:43 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I wonder what will go through Mike Brown's mind if Mike Zimmer wins this game.

Or Jay...

But he will look at 12-5 with division title and another year on his contract.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

And Gruden wins his game later....

I said it last year. We lost two good coaches who would have done a better job than good ol' Marv. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think its time Marvin needs to say I have gotten this team this far and I can't get them over the top, graciously bow out and let someone else try.

Worse case we return to the bottom of the AFC, best case we win in the playoffs.

But what we (the Bengals) organization is doing right now isn't working.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
We have the best position in football we'll get the best available coach we need to act fast and let Marv go now I'm sorry but he's never gonna get us a Super Bowl
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote