Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 2.77 Average
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread}
(12-29-2017, 01:34 PM)corpjet Wrote: I dont think he will cost you the game........is that called a game manager?

I would say that's a part of that kind of description for sure!
Reply/Quote
He’s durable. Six out of his seven seasons, he played 16 games, assuming he starts Sunday.

The one year that wasn’t, he still played 13 games that year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anticipation is good. Pre-snap he's great. Accuracy is above average. Arm is average. Athletically, he's above average. All these things combined = quality QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This thread made me a tad bit more Anti-Andy because trying to think of his best quality on the field is....really difficult...

I guess he's good at...not turning the ball over? Generally?

He has had a bad run in the last few games but he has, for the most part, become pretty good at not forcing passes.

There's a discussion about whether he is TOO cautious with the ball, leading to open receivers not getting the ball and him throwing it away and everything but, compared to his first few years in the league, you can tell he made a concerted effort to improve on his turnovers and he has.

You have to respect that about him.

He also never seems to give up, which is a very good trait. Always trying to win and always trying to improve.
Reply/Quote
Nicomo nailed it with Dalton's quick release. That is what he does best and he has one of if not the fastest releases
in the NFL. He is also one of the best Post route passers in the NFL. Also throws nice fade passes into the endzone
but for some reason we don't call this play very often even though it almost always works with Green.

Since this thread is asking about what he does best i will not list what he doesn't do well.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 01:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Quick release. /thread

But I do think you hit on something in orange. Over my time on this board I’ve come to the conclusion at least part of the reason so many here like Dalton so much is because of the kind of guy he is off the field. His charity, personality, religion, etc. Just my opinion. I’m sure most of his ardent supporters will tell me that’s not the case.

I think here behind the OLs hes had the Quick Release with the pre snap reads   are his best abilities on the field.   And his overall Grit. (no one getting open run game not working  runs it his damn self..)   Played quiet a few snaps this year looking pretty beat up on the field too.  Barely has missed a game or playing time outside the thumb injury in 2015.

If I had to pick one id say his overall Grit. 

Off the field I struggle to think of another QB in the league that does as much for his community (or really his teams community) than Dalton.

Also andy Dalton is nothing but CLASS....... (more class than an entire city combined)

Lets compare.... Shazier gets seriously hurt... Dalton leads Steeler players in prayer after the game.

Steelers injure bengals player.. Make a TD celebration out of it.
Reply/Quote
Best thing he does on the field has got to be leading the prayer circle after the game. #blessed
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This thread made me a tad bit more Anti-Andy because trying to think of his best quality on the field is....really difficult...

I guess he's good at...not turning the ball over? Generally?

He has had a bad run in the last few games but he has, for the most part, become pretty good at not forcing passes.

There's a discussion about whether he is TOO cautious with the ball, leading to open receivers not getting the ball and him throwing it away and everything but, compared to his first few years in the league, you can tell he made a concerted effort to improve on his turnovers and he has.

You have to respect that about him.

He also never seems to give up, which is a very good trait. Always trying to win and always trying to improve.
Except when he throws the ball out of bounds on 4th down with the game on the line...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:12 PM)Goalpost Wrote: He’s durable. Six out of his seven seasons, he played 16 games, assuming he starts Sunday.

The one year that wasn’t, he still played 13 games that year.

I’ll give him that. And his one injury was really flukey.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except when he throws the ball out of bounds on 4th down with the game on the line...

I personally cant blame him for that Pitt game this year.  Its the first time ive every really seen him completely frustrated on the field. the rest of the offense really provided no help in the 2nd half either
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think here behind the OLs hes had the Quick Release with the pre snap reads   are his best abilities on the field.   And his overall Grit. (no one getting open run game not working  runs it his damn self..)   Played quiet a few snaps this year looking pretty beat up on the field too.  Barely has missed a game or playing time outside the thumb injury in 2015.

If I had to pick one id say his overall Grit. 

Off the field I struggle to think of another QB in the league that does as much for his community (or really his teams community) than Dalton.

Good point on his overall Grit. Dalton has had to go through a lot of stuff, Marv meddling in the 2nd half sure would 
piss me off if i was the QB but he just rolls with it. This is why i just really want to see what Dalton could do under 
different coaches. But i definately am not against drafting a new QB if the O-line is fixed to sit behind Andy.

This thread really shows that Dalton has a lot of positives lol 
Reply/Quote
I like how he gets rid of the ball on 3rd or 4th down , and doesn't force ints
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point on his overall Grit. Dalton has had to go through a lot of stuff, Marv meddling in the 2nd half sure would 
piss me off if i was the QB but he just rolls with it. This is why i just really want to see what Dalton could do under 
different coaches. But i definately am not against drafting a new QB if the O-line is fixed to sit behind Andy.

This thread really shows that Dalton has a lot of positives lol 

I expect us to draft a QB this year maybe not in the 1st or 2nd but someone in the 3rd that just needs to develop for a year or 2 and let them grow into the system with Dalton showing the way.  (drafting a QB probly depends on the AJ McCarron situation but we could still lose him if a RFA and get another pick)  

But drafting a New QB first doesn't help much with how much we need to fix atm

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I expect us to draft a QB this year maybe not in the 1st or 2nd but someone in the 3rd that just needs to develop for a year or 2 and let them grow into the system with Dalton showing the way.  (drafting a QB probly depends on the AJ McCarron situation but we could still lose him if a RFA and get another pick)  

But drafting a New QB first doesn't help much with how much we need to fix atm

You know it Xeno, lots to fix on this team starting with the O-line. Maybe Lamar Jackson could run for his life behind
this one haha. But seriously really doesn't matter unless this is taken care of. New coaches is what this team needs
more than anything, sure would be great to have an O-line coach that could actually coach up his guys.

Same with a Linebacker coach that could do the same.

Coaching is our biggest problem, not QB. But at the same time AJM is not the future.
Reply/Quote
Not getting injured, quick release, reading defenses pre snap.
Reply/Quote
Well he does lead off every question in interviews with 'Uh yeah...' Not sure if that's good or bad..kind of neutral actually. I've never heard him throw anyone else under the bus.. if he has a bad game he admits to it instead of finding a scapegoat ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 03:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote:  I personally cant blame him for that Pitt game this year.  Its the first time ive every really seen him completely frustrated on the field. the rest of the offense really provided no help in the 2nd half either

I like Dalton, that's no secret, but c'mon, there's no defending Dalton on that 4th down throwaway. I get it; I can see why he might have given up, but he still deserves criticism for doing it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 02:43 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Leadership ability I'm not really sold on. After hearing his pregame speeches and the team's reactions to these gems, I question if he understands that these guys are grown men....

Yes, his voice could use some work.

But then he gets crushed on the field (and the media) and gets up every single time. 

If these players don't see that/that's on them.

Reply/Quote
He marries well.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Like others have said it is his grit.

He has to put up with a crappy O-Line mostly terrible centers.

Remember when they kept snapping the ball high or even too early on him?

A carousel of OCs to deal with.

The interesting stat that Dalton is one of the top rushing touchdown QBs in the league.

Really outside of the obvious "he's a great human", the other unmentionable off-field attribute is being able to suit up after watching game tape of this suck ass O-Line.

You just know that him and AJ watch that shit and do this...

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote