• 22 Vote(s) - 2.77 Average
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread}
Best quality, plays every game.
Worst quality, plays every game.
Reply/Quote
Dalton doesn't take sacks in the end zone anymore to end a game.. boom positive
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 01:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Quick release. /thread

But I do think you hit on something in orange. Over my time on this board I’ve come to the conclusion at least part of the reason so many here like Dalton so much is because of the kind of guy he is off the field. His charity, personality, religion, etc. Just my opinion. I’m sure most of his ardent supporters will tell me that’s not the case.

That was my first thought. Just think what an average release QB would be like behind this OL?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I would say that he does what he is coached to do, but with this staff that is not always a good thing.
Reply/Quote
struggle with? Keep thread on topic.

1. Gets confused very easily when defense mixes up coverages
2. Throws the ball out of bounds way too often on deep throws.
3. Does not stay patient in the pocket
4. Has trouble after his first read is covered
5. Has had some of his worst games of his career when we need him most. 0-5 playoffs, terrible against the steelers.
6. Most consider him to be a liability or average at best in terms of arm strength.

Definitely not attributes you want to see from your starting QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 02:46 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: struggle with? Keep thread on topic.

2. Inaccurate down the field.
5. Has had some of his worst games of his career when we need him most. 0-5 playoffs, terrible against the steelers.
6. Most consider him to be a liability or average at best in terms of arm strength.

3. Abandons the pocket to quickly/feels false pressure. There are plays where he takes off sprinting to the right out of the pocket like Joe giant LDE is about to  earhole him but the pressure wasn't bad at all.

Of course playing behind this seasons O-line I would've thrown in the towel during the first game if I was him.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 02:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 3. Abandons the pocket to quickly/feels false pressure. There are plays where he takes off sprinting to the right out of the pocket like Joe giant LDE is about to  earhole him but the pressure wasn't bad at all.

Of course playing behind this seasons O-line I would've thrown in the towel during the first game if I was him.

Yes, feels false pressure has been an issue of his for years. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 02:46 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: struggle with? Keep thread on topic.

2. Throws the ball out of bounds way too often on deep throws.

1. Dalton is actually pretty good pre-snap reading and adjusting plays. The OC just needs to give him the leeway to do so.
2. Agreed, but he's actually overall still a decent deep ball thrower. People rage if he doesn't hit 100% of them, but the fact is it's not a 100% throw. If it were that easy to hit a guy in stride 40 yards down the field, that's all anyone would ever do. Derek Carr goes like 2-6 on deep throws in a game or Newton goes 0-2 and nobody says a word.
3. He does when he has a decent OL. Go back and rewatch 2015 tape.
4. Every WR not named AJ Green has been mediocre at best, and garbage at worst since Marvin Jones left, and even AJ vanishes versus press coverage at times. They also seem to be coached to just stop and stand in place if the QB is scrambling. Other teams move and try to get open, the Bengals don't seem to practice that at all.
5. That's a Marvin Lewis thing. Not to mention Andy Dalton has only played in FOUR playoff games. So how he became 0-5 is a mystery to me. Kitna: 0-1, Palmer 0-1, Dalton 0-4, McCarron 0-1. When EVERY QB looks the same in primetime/playoff games under Marvin, it's Marvin.
6. This was true about 4 years ago. The only people who still consider that true are people who stopped paying attention.

Dalton isn't ever going to be an elite QB, and he has his issues, but this is a pretty crap list.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 03:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. Dalton is actually pretty good pre-snap reading and adjusting plays. The OC just needs to give him the leeway to do so.
2. Agreed, but he's actually overall still a decent deep ball thrower. People rage if he doesn't hit 100% of them, but the fact is it's not a 100% throw. If it were that easy to hit a guy in stride 40 yards down the field, that's all anyone would ever do. Derek Carr goes like 2-6 on deep throws in a game or Newton goes 0-2 and nobody says a word.
3. He does when he has a decent OL. Go back and rewatch 2015 tape.
4. Every WR not named AJ Green has been mediocre at best, and garbage at worst since Marvin Jones left, and even AJ vanishes versus press coverage at times. They also seem to be coached to just stop and stand in place if the QB is scrambling. Other teams move and try to get open, the Bengals don't seem to practice that at all.
5. That's a Marvin Lewis thing. Not to mention Andy Dalton has only played in FOUR playoff games. So how he became 0-5 is a mystery to me. Kitna: 0-1, Palmer 0-1, Dalton 0-4, McCarron 0-1. When EVERY QB looks the same in primetime/playoff games under Marvin, it's Marvin.
6. This was true about 4 years ago. The only people who still consider that true are people who stopped paying attention.

Dalton isn't ever going to be an elite QB, and he has his issues, but this is a pretty crap list.

1. No he's not and he has that leeway.
2. Yes he is decent, but the out of bound throws to deep receivers this year has raised some concerns. 
3. That was IMO his issue this year. He never had time to be comfortable.
4. You notice that too? When Andy scrambles, AJ is the only one who seems to try and come at him trying to make a play.
5. High-Five!
6. Andy has decent arm strength but his judgement seems lacking. He under throws which is why that opinion is real. I don't think its a matter of arm strength as it is bad throws.

Your right about Dalton never being elite. Also, he will never be clutch. Bad coaching (hear me out) has not effected him as he has affected himself. There is a lot of headgames going on in that skull he can't seem to overcome. He's not confident and his performance shows it. He plays down to the competition, much like the Bengals do. Can he win us a playoff game? By all means I think he can. But things have to run very smoothly or else he will get rattled and we lose.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 04:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your right about Dalton never being elite. Also, he will never be clutch.

And then Dalton throws the game winning touchdown.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Wasn't a good year by any stretch for Dalton, but 25 TDs to 12 INTs? With severe o-line struggles and a run game that ranked 32nd in both yards and YPC for 80% of the year? With a mid-season OC switch and an absolute lack of any competent #2 receiver? If that's terrible, I'd love to see what people would think of actual terrible QB play.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wasn't a good year by any stretch for Dalton, but 25 TDs to 12 INTs? With severe o-line struggles and a run game that ranked 32nd in both yards and YPC for 80% of the year? With a mid-season OC switch and an absolute lack of any competent #2 receiver? If that's terrible, I'd love to see what people would think of actual terrible QB play.

Yea that may be worse than any OL they've ever assembled, even during the forgotten decade.  That alone with his production is surprising.  Andy is my QB for 2018, fix the line and the staff and we're mint.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 02:49 AM)phil413 Wrote: Yea that may be worse than any OL they've ever assembled, even during the forgotten decade.  That alone with his production is surprising.  Andy is my QB for 2018, fix the line and the staff and we're mint.

To be fair, he did finish with career lows in % (59.9), yards (3320) and YPA (6.69), but even those figures aren't horrendous. I've seen good QB's post worse stats with better casts. The TD/INT ratio is fantastic considering the circumstances.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is closer to elite then he his to bad . People get on him because he had sporadic bad games in his first 4 seasons but in reality he has had more good games then bad. Also I would contend that he had too much on his plate in his first 3 seasons particularly in the playoffs and that's why we lost the games and not because of him persay.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton under Jay Gruden was steadily improving every season.

Andy Dalton under Hue Jackson was in the conversation for MVP.

Andy Dalton under Ken Zampese was ineffective.

Andy Dalton under Bill Lazor was hits and misses — mostly hits.
Reply/Quote
Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:Andy Dalton under Jay Gruden was steadily improving every season.

Andy Dalton under Hue Jackson was in the conversation for MVP.

Andy Dalton under Ken Zampese was ineffective.

Andy Dalton under Bill Lazor was hits and misses — mostly hits.

Which is interesting seeing as how he spent the most time of his career with Ken.  It's good ammo anytime Mikey wants to bring up continuity when it comes to a guy like Piano Man. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 02:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 3. Abandons the pocket to quickly/feels false pressure. There are plays where he takes off sprinting to the right out of the pocket like Joe giant LDE is about to  earhole him but the pressure wasn't bad at all.

Really, you could say that about our last two quarterbacks.

If you look at Carson Palmer's sack percentage in his career it's 5.12 24th best in NFL history and Andy Dalton is at 5.83 50th best in NFL history.

Both seemed to get shell shocked at times. Neither were or are as good under pressure as Kenny Anderson was.

Then you look at some of the best in NFL history in Brett Favre 4.91 for 17th, Tom Brady 4.88 for 16th, Matt Ryan 4.75 for 14th, Eli Manning 4.63 for 9th, Drew Brees 3.91 for 6th, Derek Carr 3.89 for 5th, Peyton Manning and Dan Marino tied for first with 3.13.

Then I see poor Kenny Anderson sitting at 8.17 and I think to myself that neither one of them could have survived in Anderson's time on the Bengals. I mean he did retire as the all time most sacked quarterback. But now the record belongs to Brett Favre, but that was because of the number of passes he threw. Lol
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 11:48 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Really, you could say that about our last two quarterbacks.

If you look at Carson Palmer's sack percentage in his career it's 5.12 24th best in NFL history and Andy Dalton is at 5.83 50th best in NFL history.

Both seemed to get shell shocked at times. Neither were or are as good under pressure as Kenny Anderson was.

Then you look at some of the best in NFL history in Brett Favre 4.91 for 17th, Tom Brady 4.88 for 16th, Matt Ryan 4.75 for 14th, Eli Manning 4.63 for 9th, Drew Brees 3.91 for 6th, Derek Carr 3.89 for 5th, Peyton Manning and Dan Marino tied for first with 3.13.

Then I see poor Kenny Anderson sitting at 8.17 and I think to myself that neither one of them could have survived in Anderson's time on the Bengals. I mean he did retire as the all time most sacked quarterback. But now the record belongs to Brett Favre, but that was because of the number of passes he threw. Lol

Good points.  All of those guys you mention in the next to last paragraph chucked the hell outta the ball.

As for Dalton and Palmer, they both got skittish late in their time here (Dalton is still here of course), and both QBs had their lines go to shit late in their time here.  Coincidence?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wasn't a good year by any stretch for Dalton, but 25 TDs to 12 INTs? With severe o-line struggles and a run game that ranked 32nd in both yards and YPC for 80% of the year? With a mid-season OC switch and an absolute lack of any competent #2 receiver? If that's terrible, I'd love to see what people would think of actual terrible QB play.

Yep. The offense had a historically bad year, and he went without a touchdown pass in the first two games (Under Zampese). The stats could've been SLIGHTLY better with Lazor underhelm, and I believe DRAMATICALLY better if Lazor was always there. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 03:22 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Andy Dalton is closer to elite then he his to bad . People get on him because he had sporadic bad games in his first 4 seasons but in reality he has had more good games then bad. Also I would contend that he had too much on his plate in his first 3 seasons particularly in the playoffs and that's why we lost the games and not because of him persay.

Andy is nowhere near elite. He is an order of magnitude away from elite. Elite QBs take over games, they can put their team on their back (e.g., Rodgers, Wilson). Andy will never do that. Not ever.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote