Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 2.77 Average
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread}
(11-26-2018, 09:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gresham's Pro Bowls were brought up all the time back then. Shoot, that's how I remembered he was an alternate. 

You were one of very few Gresh defenders, so I'm pretty sure it was you, but whatever. 

I wonder why other QB's like Stafford don't have a bunch of "alternate" Pro Bowl appearances?

Stafford was the 2015 Pro Bowl MVP with the 2nd most passing yards in Pro Bowl history, 2 TDs, and a passer rating of 115. Andy had a rating of 54 in the game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I kind of put him in the Andre Smith category here.

Not great but not bad either.

He's trash to a lot of people on these boards.

I don't really hear that too much from usual fans likewise with Andre.

Agreed. I was in the middle of the 2 extremes on Gresh. Was he a solid TE? Sure. Did he make some boneheaded drops/penalties etc? Yep. Andre Smith is a good comparison. Can Gresh hold down the TE spot adequately? Yes. Was he pretty easy to upgrade from? I think so.

He wasn't a scrub though. Nor was he ever a top 10 type of TE.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Johnny. Manziel. Discuss.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Stafford was the 2015 Pro Bowl MVP with the 2nd most passing yards in Pro Bowl history, 2 TDs, and a passer rating of 115. Andy had a rating of 54 in the game.

Lol Pro Bowl stats?

Alright, if we're going there, Dalton threw for over 100 yards and 2 TD's in 2012. Newton threw 3 picks. Clearly Dalton is amazing and Newton is trash. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 08:05 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Wait. . Wha!? 

Just compare the performance of each of them in the games where Driskell has come in, two of the last 3 games. Driskell has score more points in less time with less turn overs. Just throwing that out there.

Reply/Quote
I cant wait to see driskel go out there and take this team to a victory sunday but i dont know if hes the actual answer. I think we need to trade dalton once driskel shows he can win and draft a qb theres quite a few with big arms coming out and thats what we need,some qb with a live arm that has good size and good football mechanics and iq. Im done watching the dalton + marvin circus. Im so glad dalton is out. So i dont have to watch blandy for the rest of the year. Go back to texas blandy.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. I was in the middle of the 2 extremes on Gresh. Was he a solid TE? Sure. Did he make some boneheaded drops/penalties etc? Yep. Andre Smith is a good comparison. Can Gresh hold down the TE spot adequately? Yes. Was he pretty easy to upgrade from? I think so.

He wasn't a scrub though. Nor was he ever a top 10 type of TE.
So he was the andy and marvin equivelant at the te position.
Reply/Quote
I'm never glad to see anyone get injured for any reason.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 08:51 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Driskell is in no way, shape, or form a better QB than Dalton. The season is lost and it will be fun to watch Driskell a little bit. He may have a few decent games, even.

However, people are so quick to jump on the next big thing. Once teams gameplan around him, he will be stopped, and stopped hard.

People like you wish that happens so you can have your precious dalton starting for eternity. What has dalton done here? How many big meaningful games has he won? 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:30 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: People like you wish that happens so you can have your precious dalton starting for eternity. What has dalton done here? How many big meaningful games has he won? 

I’m ready to move on from Dalton, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Dalton isn’t the answer. Driskell sure as hell isnt either.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m ready to move on from Dalton, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Dalton isn’t the answer. Driskell sure as hell isnt either.

You havnt seen what the guy can do and you are downing him thats why. I wouldnt go all in on him being the qb of the future i still say draft a guy but im excited to seeing a mobile smart qb in there a whole game that has gotten practice,id like to see him with green too. I bet they start winning games with him. Which im hoping so it can show how overrated blandy is here. Dalton is a bridge gap qb nothing more nothing less. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 08:53 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: That's 17 out of the starting 32 qb's.  Where do you get 79 from. ONLY STARTERS

Take into account his bad playoffs and that drops him to 22 out of 32. 

Are you trying to troll and include even non starters, because then he most definitely wouldn't be 17 out of 79, he'
d be about 47 out of 79

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/qb-rating-nfl

There have been 79 different QBs who have attempted enough passes in a season to be ranked in a season since 2011.

Which 16 of those 79 do you claim have a higher average ranking than Dalton's 16.5?  If you are going to use "average ranking" then you have to tell me which QBs have a higher "average ranking" than Dalton.

Surely you are not trying to claim that a QB who just finished ahead of Dalton one year but behind him multiple times is a better QB, are you?  That would be silly wouldn't it?

Matt Moore was only ranked once and he was 12th.  Are you saying that Matt Moore is the 12th best QB over that period because his "average ranking" is 12?
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 08:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fred's an Andy hater. He thinks he should be compared to backups/ 3rd stringers. 

Nope.  Just to the 79 QBs who have attempted enough passes in a season to be ranked since 2011.

If you are going to go by "average ranking" that is the only fair way to do it.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:41 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: You havnt seen what the guy can do and you are downing him thats why. I wouldnt go all in on him being the qb of the future i still say draft a guy but im excited to seeing a mobile smart qb in there a whole game that has gotten practice,id like to see him with green too. I bet they start winning games with him. Which im hoping so it can show how overrated blandy is here. Dalton is a bridge gap qb nothing more nothing less. 

Driskell couldn’t beat out Christian Ponder for the third string QB position. He couldn’t beat out Thad Lewis. He couldn’t beat out AJ McCarron nor could he beat out Andy Dalton.

Here is hoping he is the next Tom Brady, but there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that the guy is by no means a good QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There have been 79 different QBs who have attempted enough passes in a season to be ranked in a season since 2011.

Which 16 of those 79 do you claim have a higher average ranking than Dalton's 16.5?  If you are going to use "average ranking" then you have to tell me which QBs have a higher "average ranking" than Dalton.

Surely you are not trying to claim that a QB who just finished ahead of Dalton one year but behind him multiple times is a better QB, are you?  That would be silly wouldn't it?

Matt Moore was only ranked once and he was 12th.  Are you saying that Matt Moore is the 12th best QB over that period because his "average ranking" is 12?

Did you Matt Moore in your 79? If your answer is yes. Then you may begin to see your flaw. Wew are not handing out lifetime achievement awards here. Football is played per season and QBs are/should be ranked accordingly. 

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:30 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: People like you wish that happens so you can have your precious dalton starting for eternity. What has dalton done here? How many big meaningful games has he won? 

Well I can't break it down to individuals but since Dalton has been our starting QB we are 12th in the league in wins over playoff teams and also 12th in winning percentage against playoff teams (despite McCarron going 0-2 in his short 2015 stint).

When you look at games against teams that finished with a winning record we are a little better.  8th in wins and 7th in winning percentage.

Not saying that is elite, but it is better than most other teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you Matt Moore in your 79? If your answer is yes. Then you may begin to see your flaw. Wew are not handing out lifetime achievement awards here. Football is played per season and QBs are/should be ranked accordingly. 

Then you can't use "average ranking" to say Andy is average.  It is quite possible that most of those 79 QBs have a much lower "average ranking" than Dalton's 16.5.

What you are trying to do with "average ranking" is claim that every QB who was ranked ahead of Dalton even once is better than him while ignoring all the years that QB was ranked behind him.

If you ant to use "average ranking" to judge Andy then I am going to have to see the "average ranking" of all the other QBs as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Then you can't use "average ranking" to say Andy is average.  It is quite possible that most of those 79 QBs have a much lower "average ranking" than Dalton's 16.5.

What you are trying to do with "average ranking" is claim that every QB who was ranked ahead of Dalton even once is better than him while ignoring all the years that QB was ranked behind him.

If you ant to use "average ranking" to judge Andy then I am going to have to see the "average ranking" of all the other QBs as well.

You go with Fred stats and I'll go with NFL stats. The NFL stats have shown that year in and year out Andy is an average starting QB. 

There's a reason the National Media came up with the Andy Dalton line. 

Nothing has changed for the last few years when I've said Andy's best attribute is to be average for a long time.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You go with Fred stats and I'll go with NFL stats. The NFL stats have shown that year in and year out Andy is an average starting QB. 

There's a reason the National Media came up with the Andy Dalton line. 

I'll be glad to look at NFL stats.

Which QBs do they say have a higher "average ranking" than Dalton in addition to Matt Moore?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll be glad to look at NFL stats.

Which QBs do they say have a higher "average ranking" than Dalton in addition to Matt Moore?

Let's go with the current year. Let's see if anybody other that Matt Moore beats him

Reply/Quote