Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 2.77 Average
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread}
Driskel came in and almost threw a pick 6 on his first throw.

He completed just a little over 50% of his throws.

While he was serviceable he was nothing more than that.

To say he would have made the game competitive is a joke. Would he help our D in any way shape or form? Could he keep the D from giving up 4 straight TDs?

The offense will continue to struggle as long as AJ is not on the field and they continue to get behind in score and behind the chains. This forces passing situations and we dont have the line or receiving corps to lead an air attack.

If Dalton is out next game Denver will win by 3 TDs and Driskel will throw at least 2 INTs. Willing to put money on that as well.
Reply/Quote
Andy was never drafted to be an elite QB was he? He was drafted because Carson deserted us, and he was the QB most 'ready' to handle starting duties.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Also, I just want to be clear...im not an Andy basher. I think hes an average quarterback with a low ceiling and his success depends on other players (AJ, offensive line, other offensive weapons).

Im ready to move on from Andy. Hes just not great and im not sold that the Bengals as an organization can win a Super Bowl with him as QB. Maybe a different organization, but not the Bengals. The Bengals only shot at winning a Super Bowl is getting an elite QB. That can mask all of their other deficiencies from an organizational standpoint.
I think that is a fair assessment.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:09 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Driskel came in and almost threw a pick 6 on his first throw.

He completed just a little over 50% of his throws.

While he was serviceable he was nothing more than that.

To say he would have made the game competitive is a joke. Would he help our D in any way shape or form? Could he keep the D from giving up 4 straight TDs?

The offense will continue to struggle as long as AJ is not on the field and they continue to get behind in score and behind the chains. This forces passing situations and we dont have the line or receiving corps to lead an air attack.

If Dalton is out next game Denver will win by 3 and Driskel will throw at least 2 INTs. Willing to put money on that as well.

This is 100% accurate......and as Lap stated, with the defense playing the way it is.....QUIT DEFERRING the opening kick!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is 100% accurate......and as Lap stated, with the defense playing the way it is.....QUIT DEFERRING the opening kick!

I never understood that! We are behind on the score from the get go and we never score in the 3rd quarter...... 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Dalton has had his share of woulda coulda shoulda picks and circus catches by WRs over the years.

Not really pumping up Driskell... just sayin!

Sure, but people weren't using a game full of them against a defense in essentially a prevent defense to spin it as something it isn't. As I continue to state the tempo and situation made the day for Driskell, it really is that simple. With that said he made three legit NFL throws in that time and is a more than competent back up. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He was making throws yesterday that Andy has been scared to make all year. 

Haha....no.
Reply/Quote
I just liked to see the ball being spread around to other players. I think that's why we were successful moving the ball in the 2nd half. Some might say the Browns let up but I saw Driskell pressured many times (Obhuehi, I thought was terrible), so I doubt that was the case, especially with as few wins as they've had.

Dalton, once he's in a funk, seems to lock onto 1 read and shut down afterwards. He did not play well at all yesterday, regardless of the spin.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ridiculous statement....

Not really. He played better than Dalton against the Browns this week and moved the ball better than Dalton against the Saints (even scored as many points as Dalton is a much shorter amount of time). I'm looking at how the offense performs, which is what counts the most.

Dalton just isn't getting it done without AJ Green in the lineup. Driskel is at least making more of what is there to work with.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Driskell is not playing better than Dalton.

More points scored against the same teams with the same personnel in less time on the field. Sounds like he's doing better to me.

Reply/Quote
This is AJ McCaron all over again. There is a reason no one wanted to offer McCaron a real contract and it's the same reason Driskell is not a starter. There is more to a game than seeing completions, understandings situations and what the defense was doing is important to match to the numbers. Driskell has done well in garbage time, but it is not the same thing schematically as what he'd see in a 0-0 game on the first drive, it just isn't.

His mobility is a plus, and being down so much emboldens him to make some risky throws that sometime pan out. He has a plus arm, but his pre read work is not very good and that is something that he should have from week to week game prep.
Reply/Quote
Driskel better than Dalton? Please.

There was a reason he was on the practice squad. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is AJ McCaron all over again. There is a reason no one wanted to offer McCaron a real contract and it's the same reason Driskell is not a starter. There is more to a game than seeing completions, understandings situations and what the defense was doing is important to match to the numbers. Driskell has done well in garbage time, but it is not the same thing schematically as what he'd see in a 0-0 game on the first drive, it just isn't.

His mobility is a plus, and being down so much emboldens him to make some risky throws that sometime pan out. He has a plus arm, but his pre read work is not very good and that is something that he should have from week to week game prep.

At least the kid doesn't come out flat as a pancake with zero energy. And he put more points on the board than Dalton did.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Not really. He played better than Dalton against the Browns this week and moved the ball better than Dalton against the Saints (even scored as many points as Dalton is a much shorter amount of time). I'm looking at how the offense performs, which is what counts the most.

Dalton just isn't getting it done without AJ Green in the lineup. Driskel is at least making more of what is there to work with.

Look, I'm not bashing Driskell, I like the guy and am interested to see what he can do. But Andy has led the #1 Red Zone scoring offense all season, and he's been throwing lasers all year. It's not his fault the ball bounces off the receivers hands or numbers. He has thrown very few bad passes this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Look, I'm not bashing Driskell, I like the guy and am interested to see what he can do. But Andy has led the #1 Red Zone scoring offense all season, and he's been throwing lasers all year. It's not his fault the ball bounces off the receivers hands or numbers. He has thrown very few bad passes this year.

Let's also not forget the game winning drives he's led (including the one against Pitt that got erased by the defense) this season alone.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who thinks people are hilariously overstating Driskel's capabilities? I have seen nothing from the guy in any of his starts that lead me to believe he'd make a serviceable stop-gag in the event that Dalton is out for an extended period of time. I don't know where this fascination is coming from with him. I really don't.

The guy scored two touchdowns in garbage time against a team that basically had the win in the bag, and who had not game-planned for him at all. Big whoop. How about the two near picks he threw? How about the fact that a lot of his completions came from receivers making acrobatic plays?

If Dalton is out for the next few weeks, let's see just how well Driskel does when teams spend an entire week game-planning for him. Methinks we're not going to be thrilled with the result.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 02:05 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks people are hilariously overstating Driskel's capabilities? I have seen nothing from the guy in any of his starts that lead me to believe he'd make a serviceable stop-gag in the event that Dalton is out for an extended period of time. I don't know where this fascination is coming from with him. I really don't.

The guy scored two touchdowns in garbage time against a team that basically had the win in the bag, and who had not game-planned for him at all. Big whoop. How about the two near picks he threw? How about the fact that a lot of his completions came from receivers making acrobatic plays?

If Dalton is out for the next few weeks, let's see just how well Driskel does when teams spend an entire week game-planning for him. Methinks we're not going to be thrilled with the result.

When did Driskel start a game?

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 02:05 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks people are hilariously overstating Driskel's capabilities?  I have seen nothing from the guy in any of his starts that lead me to believe he'd make a serviceable stop-gag in the event that Dalton is out for an extended period of time.  I don't know where this fascination is coming from with him.  I really don't.    

The guy scored two touchdowns in garbage time against a team that basically had the win in the bag, and who had not game-planned for him at all.  Big whoop.  How about the two near picks he threw?  How about the fact that a lot of his completions came from receivers making acrobatic plays?

If Dalton is out for the next few weeks, let's see just how well Driskel does when teams spend an entire week game-planning for him.  Methinks we're not going to be thrilled with the result.

Can't blame anyone for wanting something different than Dalton. This offense has been bottom third for the past 2 1/2 years. We aren't going to the playoffs this year, and we won't learn anything with Dalton in there. If Driskal fails, it'll be no worse than continually seeing Dalton in there do nothing special.  
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 02:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When did Driskel start a game?

Misuse of terminology on my part.  Any time he's gotten reps with first team in-game, is basically what I meant.

Color me shocked if the guy starts a game against a competent team that's game-planned for him all week and he has a knockout performance. Til then, I think a lot of this Driskel talk has more to do with Dalton criticism and less to do with Driskel's own capabilities.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 02:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let's also not forget the game winning drives he's led (including the one against Pitt that got erased by the defense) this season alone.

People tend to buy into message board BS about Dalton being mediocre. He's not top 5, but look where he ranks all across the board in all the categories. He's in some pretty elite company.
Reply/Quote