Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vikings.
I keep an eye on the Minnesota Vikings, as I have a lot of admiration for Coach Mike Zimmer. Until late, the Vikings have looked like a sure bet for the playoffs, and possible NFC contender. Today, they were simply taken apart by the Seahawks.

Does that have more to do with the Vikings not being as good as they looked, or are the Seahawks simply back to SB caliber?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Seahawks seem to me to be turning it around and may be peaking at just the right time. I think they're going to be a force to reckon with down the stretch.
Reply/Quote
The Vikings are one-dimensional and relying on a RB who isn't what he used to be.

I mean, they have a terrible QB...who is basically another Alex Smith.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 06:14 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: The Vikings are one-dimensional and relying on a RB who isn't what he used to be.

I mean, they have a terrible QB...who is basically another Alex Smith.

I agree. AP has his good and bad days. Not consistent. Same with the QB.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
We shall see what they do in AZ on Thursday. They are going to have to perform against top-tier NFC teams if we are to buy-in on their playoff hopes (especially if they don't win the division). The game against the Seahawks looked a lot a return to the Vikings of old; stop Peterson and make Teddy/Ponder/Whomever beat you.
Reply/Quote
I feel like the Vikings are basically the same team as the 09 Bengals. Average QB play, riding a RB into the ground, awesome D, winning close. They are not as good as their record definitely
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 04:35 AM)eoxyod Wrote: I feel like the Vikings are basically the same team as the 09 Bengals. Average QB play, riding a RB into the ground, awesome D, winning close. They are not as good as their record definitely

They are very identical. Although I'd take the 09 passing attack over the Vikings now.

It's very surprising how subpar Teddy has been looking. I know he doesn't have the best weapons, but he certainly does have them. Diggs, Wallace, Rudolph, Peterson, and Patterson. Sure, not the best, but through 12 games you should have an 8:8 TD to INT ratio. It's shocking how Norv Turner isn't getting a passing game going. Blows my mind.

But the team certainly has potential and will make the playoffs. If they play a NFC East team I could see them winning a game. But that's honestly about it.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 06:14 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I mean, they have a terrible QB...who is basically another Alex Smith.

Bridgewater is not playing well, but Alex Smith is a poor comparison.  Over the last 5 years Smith has been a very effective QB.
Reply/Quote
Didn't watch the game, but I heard Newman was having to play some safety due to all the injuries back there. And that's a lot of their problem, which was our problem last year. They've got some really good players and they're doing some things really well, but they aren't deep enough to handle the injuries.

And it doesn't help Bridgewater is just a sophomore. He's going to struggle like most QBs do against good defenses in their first few years.

If management is patient and adds depth around what they've got, the Vikings will be a force in a couple seasons.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:47 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: They are very identical. Although I'd take the 09 passing attack over the Vikings now.

It's very surprising how subpar Teddy has been looking. I know he doesn't have the best weapons, but he certainly does have them. Diggs, Wallace, Rudolph, Peterson, and Patterson. Sure, not the best, but through 12 games you should have an 8:8 TD to INT ratio. It's shocking how Norv Turner isn't getting a passing game going. Blows my mind.

But the team certainly has potential and will make the playoffs. If they play a NFC East team I could see them winning a game. But that's honestly about it.

The problem is they have one of the worst OLs in the league and compound it with the most 7 step drops in the league. Teddy is pressured on just under 50% of his throws. And his weapons aren't that great when you see how Rudolph has performed and how many passes Wallace drops
Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of Bridgewater it seems like they're basing their game-plans around not exposing him to the defense. He's young and can get better but not impressed so far.

If the Vikings want to stay competitive they either need to get more out of Teddy or play amazing defense with AP going off to boot.

In the future I would be looking to solidify the o-line and adding a change of pace back for AP like a Gio or Jahvid Best if they're going to be moving forward with Teddy.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bridgewater is not playing well, but Alex Smith is a poor comparison.  Over the last 5 years Smith has been a very effective QB.

I agree. His CEILING is Alex Smith. Right now, Alex Smith is way better. The Vikings should be thinking about drafting another QB. Bridgewater is garbage.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 03:54 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I agree. His CEILING is Alex Smith. Right now, Alex Smith is way better. The Vikings should be thinking about drafting another QB. Bridgewater is garbage.

they could just trade for geno smith or that guy in buffalo EJ MAnuel
Reply/Quote
The Vikings may be regressing towards the mean. They have a good record, but you can't deny their losses to the Packers and Seahawks when each game had some serious playoff implications and were both in Minnesota. As for the Seahawks, they do seem to be returning to form, but their 3-game winning streak isn't enough to propel them over the Cardinals and/or Panthers who are on 6 and 12-game streaks that both include wins in Seattle over the Seahawks.

Anyways, the Vikings and Seahawks should be the 2 NFC wild card teams and once you are in anything can happen and so on. Bridgewater doesn't look too swell at the moment, but Vikings fans should still be glad they aren't watching Ponder back there.
Reply/Quote
You guys hit the nail on the head. Teddy is not an Air Correll type of qb. Alex Smith is not either. Turner needs to stop trying to make him into something he is not. Teddy can be a good qb, but not in that system.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 01:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Vikings may be regressing towards the mean.  They have a good record, but you can't deny their losses to the Packers and Seahawks when each game had some serious playoff implications and were both in Minnesota.  As for the Seahawks, they do seem to be returning to form, but their 3-game winning streak isn't enough to propel them over the Cardinals and/or Panthers who are on 6 and 12-game streaks that both include wins in Seattle over the Seahawks.

Anyways, the Vikings and Seahawks should be the 2 NFC wild card teams and once you are in anything can happen and so on.  Bridgewater doesn't look too swell at the moment, but Vikings fans should still be glad they aren't watching Ponder back there.

the Seahawks will compete for division lead the last game of season.

the Vikings will win their division and shock the world tomorrow night.
Reply/Quote
The Vikings aren't winning in Arizona...

More than likely they lose by double figures.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 12:40 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The problem is they have one of the worst OLs in the league and compound it with the most 7 step drops in the league. Teddy is pressured on just under 50% of his throws. 

This.  I think Bridgewater has the skills to be a decent NFL QB.  I felt like the Bears got a steal when he dropped in the draft.

(12-08-2015, 12:40 PM)eoxyod Wrote: And his weapons aren't that great when you see how Rudolph has performed and how many passes Wallace drops

Cordarrelle Patterson has the best combination of size, speed, and "change-of-direction" skills in the entire league.  He needs to go someplace that has a great WR coach.  He is as shifty and fast as Percy Harvin except he is 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier.  
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 12:57 AM)IsaacCurtis Wrote: the Seahawks will compete for division lead the last game of season.

That would require the Seahawks to win the next 3 and the Cardinals to lose the next 3, wouldn't it?  Not impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Reply/Quote
I think the Vikings are fine. With some adjustments, I see them being a solid team in the not too distant future.

They just barely lost to Arizona, and that was with three turnovers.
Reply/Quote