Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comey Troubles Cont....
I'm not a fan of the guy and have always wonder why Trump supporters turned on him when he as a card carrying, long standing, voting Republican helped Trump win (by hiding the fact Trump was under FBI investigation during the whole campaign, while speaking out, releasing statements, and having pressers on everything about Hillary's investigation).

But it sounds like Trump supporters got a good talking point, although I'm trying to differentiate what is spin and what isn't.

Comey is saying no need to apologize to him for getting cleared (to his critics).

Trump supporters are saying DOJ proved them right about his unethical behavior.

Anyone want to take a stab at what is going on for the forumn?

It's the Dems and Hillary who should be upset with him. But somehow the spin the last two years has Americans believing Comey was a Dem helping Hillary. Even though anyone who lived through the election of 2016 should remember and know better.

Politics has a way of making fools out of people. And the American belief that Comey is an "Angry Democrat" who was #teamHillary".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
https://apnews.com/ee2870cb0c9148e08161d851b26092e9

Comey violated policies and norms by discussing Clinton in the way he did, and by leaking the memo. He didn't do anything illegal in those actions, though.

My opinion of him remains the same. He's an asshole.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I agree. And it's Karma that Trump supporters turned on him after he helped Trump win.

It's just that Trump supporters really believe he was pro Hillary, which is the craziest lie and con job ever achieved by Trump given how Comey hid Trump being under investigation in a partisan attack on Hillary throughout 2016.

I don't feel sorry for the guy. You lay with dogs and you get flees (or something like that). He laid with Trump throughout 2016 as a card carrying voting Republican, and now like anyone who trust Trump or worked for him, is reaping what he sowed.

(08-29-2019, 01:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Comey violated policies and norms by discussing Clinton in the way he did, and by leaking the memo. He didn't do anything illegal in those actions, though.

My opinion of him remains the same. He's an asshole.

I think that goes back to what JJ was saying about not understanding why Trump and his supporters turned on him.   He seems like the kind of guy they support. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-29-2019, 01:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Comey violated policies and norms by discussing Clinton in the way he did, and by leaking the memo. He didn't do anything illegal in those actions, though.

More damaging to the bureau, then anything.  He believed what he did was important.  Ethics be damned.  But not a crime.

I'm not sure.  I think he had was a little high and mighty (not just TDS, he screwed Hillary, too).  It's a good example of why they have the standards.

He was faced with unusually extraordinary choices.  But a the end of the day, the failure to control leaks is what mattered.  Leaks of unfinished investigations is what went all political.
--------------------------------------------------------

The People who voted for Trump (including me) sort of had the right idea, most politicians are phony and full of shit. Lets vote for a
"business man " for a change and see how that works out. Experiment failed. Trump turned out to be a conman instead of a business man. We thought he would change once he became a president. Like the saying goes, believe someone when they tell you who they are. Most all the Republicans, in spite of the tax cuts for the wealthy, know that Trump is a cancer but won't say it publicly for fear of losing and not getting reelected.
What I can't understand is that there still are millions of Trumplicans who will vote for this guy just to stay in "power". F that.
(08-30-2019, 06:47 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: The People who voted for Trump (including me) sort of had the right idea, most politicians are phony and full of shit. Lets vote for a
"business man " for a change and see how that works out. Experiment failed. Trump turned out to be a conman instead of a business man. We thought he would change once he became a president. Like the saying goes, believe someone when they tell you who they are. Most all the Republicans, in spite of the tax cuts for the wealthy, know that Trump is a cancer but won't say it publicly for fear of losing and not getting reelected.
What I can't understand is that there still are millions of Trumplicans who will vote for this guy just to stay in "power". F that.

And not a single word on topic..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
It's Friday and I don't feel like doing all the work, so let me ask instead:  Where's the guy who kept telling us that the IG report was going to be massive and people were going to jail?
(08-30-2019, 08:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's Friday and I don't feel like doing all the work, so let me ask instead:  Where's the guy who kept telling us that the IG report was going to be massive and people were going to jail?

The report isn't fully released yet.  Just a portion pertaining to Comey.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/08/30/they-called-russia-probe-hoax-now-comey-ig-report-exposes-their-hypocrisy/?noredirect=on

(08-30-2019, 08:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's Friday and I don't feel like doing all the work, so let me ask instead:  Where's the guy who kept telling us that the IG report was going to be massive and people were going to jail?

That was just part one, of what's going to be a four part release.  This being the smallest, and least important part of the investigation was only focused on Comey's dealings with the memos.  What will be more interesting is when they release the findings of the investigation into the FISA warrant applications.  It has been suspected that those FISA warrants were signed with the knowledge that the Steele dossier was bunk, and having already been alerted that the information was unverifiable.  Seeing that Comey's signature is on 3 of those applications, it might be a bit early for him to be championing about vindication.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-30-2019, 10:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That was just part one, of what's going to be a four part release.  This being the smallest, and least important part of the investigation was only focused on Comey's dealings with the memos.  What will be more interesting is when they release the findings of the investigation into the FISA warrant applications.  It has been suspected that those FISA warrants were signed with the knowledge that the Steele dossier was bunk, and having already been alerted that the information was unverifiable.  Seeing that Comey's signature is on 3 of those applications, it might be a bit early for him to be championing about vindication.

Yeah but we told it was coming out in 2-3 weeks back in February and Comey would be indicted.  

I'm just starting to wonder of Q is really as accurate as his supporters say!   Mellow
(08-30-2019, 10:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What will be more interesting is when they release the findings of the investigation into the FISA warrant applications.  It has been suspected that those FISA warrants were signed with the knowledge that the Steele dossier was bunk, and having already been alerted that the information was unverifiable.  Seeing that Comey's signature is on 3 of those applications, it might be a bit early for him to be championing about vindication.

From everything I read, the Steele dossier was in no way the sole basis for any FISA warrant, and neither was it the sole basis for the whole Russia investigation (even Nunes admitted to that in his memo flop). It also wasn't the basis for the already ongoing surveillance of Carter Page in the first place.
I also am under the impression that it was not "bunk" as a whole. Some allegations were verified, some others were not, as far as I know only one was actually debunked by Mueller.

On the other hand, I heard multiple times now how FISA abuse was the huge scandal in the coming (making Watergate look like stealing a snickers bar and whatnot). Until that day, none of these anticipations ever came true. I am doubtful they will come true this time.

In other words, all accusations regarding FISA are very thin and higly speculative - as far as I can see. But that's not too far, admittedly.
(08-30-2019, 12:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: From everything I read, the Steele dossier was in no way the sole basis for any FISA warrant, and neither was it the sole basis for the whole Russia investigation (even Nunes admitted to that in his memo flop). It also wasn't the basis for the already ongoing surveillance of Carter Page in the first place.
I also am under the impression that it was not "bunk" as a whole. Some allegations were verified, some others were not, as far as I know only one was actually debunked by Mueller.

On the other hand, I heard multiple times now how FISA abuse was the huge scandal in the coming (making Watergate look like stealing a snickers bar and whatnot). Until that day, none of these anticipations ever came true. I am doubtful they will come true this time.

In other words, all accusations regarding FISA are very thin and higly speculative - as far as I can see. But that's not too far, admittedly.

This is correct. Nunes long put to rest the favorite talking point of Trump supporters.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/02/nunes-memo-fisa-trump-russia/

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/just-when-it-seemed-the-gops-nunes-memo-couldnt-look-worse

The investigation and surveillance started well before the dossier per every memo (Republican or otherwise) that has been released.

(08-30-2019, 07:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And not a single word on topic..

Yeah I know. That is why in my follow up post that is mysteriously missing I said Comey was an idiot. Go figure.
(08-30-2019, 06:38 PM)BakertheBeast Wrote: Yeah I know. That is why in my follow up post that is mysteriously missing I said Comey was an idiot. Go figure.

Missing post??  I don't see any deleted posts in this thread.  (I have moderator x-ray vision power)  So, what exactly did you say in this "imaginary" post?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-30-2019, 06:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Missing post??  I don't see any deleted posts in this thread.  (I have moderator x-ray vision power)  So, what exactly did you say in this "imaginary" post?

A 2-year-plan that would have given us world piece and ended world hunger, racism, and climate change.

It's a shame you missed it. Can't ever be properly recreated, one of those "Greatest Song In The World" things. Best you can get is a Tribute.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Poor James Comey. Everybody hates him now. One of the rare instances of national consensus.

I want to raise my tiny voice to defend that guy a little. He was thrown in places where nothing too good could have been done. Regarding Hillary, he was faced with a right-wing media pressure that is hard to deal with. Regarding Trump, he was faced with a mixture of irrationality and abhorrent misbehaviour that is tough to counter by any book.

Yeah, he also tried to sell books with quite cheap talking points. And then some. He made quite some mistakes. He is no hero. He also is not a villain.
(08-30-2019, 10:11 PM)hollodero Wrote: Poor James Comey. Everybody hates him now. One of the rare instances of national consensus.

I want to raise my tiny voice to defend that guy a little. He was thrown in places where nothing too good could have been done. Regarding Hillary, he was faced with a right-wing media pressure that is hard to deal with. Regarding Trump, he was faced with a mixture of irrationality and abhorrent misbehaviour that is tough to counter by any book.

Yeah, he also tried to sell books with quite cheap talking points. And then some. He made quite some mistakes. He is no hero. He also is not a villain.

Not a villain. But maybe just a little unstable. Possibly from, as you point out, the very strange and unique pressures he was under.  That his decisions would never be seen as neutral and could affect the legitimacy of elections was a legitimate worry.  But I still think the ref should not let the crowd play him.

I think Mueller would have done better.