Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The death of comedy
The PC culture is slowly killing comedy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trevor-noah-under-fire-offensive-104825839.html

The key words in this article are "comedian" and "joke"....not to mention it was 5 years ago.

Jokes are supposed to be offensive. They are supposed to be un-PC. They are supposed to touch on uncomfortable subjects. They are supposed to insult.

Comedians like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are no longer playing college campuses due to the overly PC backlash of their routines. College campuses were once the bastion of cutting edge comedy. And guys like Bill Burr get constant flak on social media for things they say during their routines.

Comedians have always walked the edge. Think back to guys like George Carlin and Richard Pryor. Go even further back and guys like Don Rickles made a living off of being abrasive and insulting people.

If you go to a comedy show and hear edgy material, guess what....its a joke. I could say eff 'em if they can't take a joke, but I'm sure the sexual reference would offend someone.

SMH....what are we coming to.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's PC culture so much as people with access to speak to the public are increasingly acquiescing the hivemind of the internet. PC culture plays a part in specific circumstances, but I think a lot of it comes down to an overall trend of using pressure en masse on social media and other online platforms to attempt to control the people who have access to public forums.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
About 90% of great comedy comes at someone’s expense. However, the someone is usually group based into religion, race, appearance etc. sucks that we can’t laugh at our differences. Laughter is the best medicine.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 02:27 AM)Beaker Wrote: The PC culture is slowly killing comedy.
Yes. Yes, it is indeed. That pendulum took quite an overswing. And also formed a second pendulum swinging in reverse amplitude.
Reply/Quote
It even goes beyond the death of comedy. It's the death of all things creative. If it wasn't for comic books and fifty year old tv shows, Hollywood couldn't even make a movie.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 03:01 AM)treee Wrote: I don't think it's PC culture so much as people with access to speak to the public are increasingly acquiescing the hivemind of the internet. PC culture plays a part in specific circumstances, but I think a lot of it comes down to an overall trend of using pressure en masse on social media and other online platforms to attempt to control the people who have access to public forums.

Oh you just described my 22yr old daughter.  Right now using straws is the worst possible offense against the environment there is.  I think whales get caught in the straws and suffocate. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Quote:Jokes are supposed to be offensive.

No, jokes are supposed to be funny. You don’t have to be offensive or vulgar to be funny. Unless you aren’t a good comedian.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 11:18 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: No, jokes are supposed to be funny. You don’t have to be offensive or vulgar to be funny. Unless you aren’t a good comedian.

Many fantastic comedians are both offensive and vulgar. Most people understand that its just comedy.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 11:18 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: No, jokes are supposed to be funny. You don’t have to be offensive or vulgar to be funny. Unless you aren’t a good comedian.

the key to jokes being funny...  Is not being a damn wuss about everything
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the key to jokes being funny...  Is not being a damn wuss about everything

max rep
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 03:01 AM)treee Wrote: I don't think it's PC culture so much as people with access to speak to the public are increasingly acquiescing the hivemind of the internet. PC culture plays a part in specific circumstances, but I think a lot of it comes down to an overall trend of using pressure en masse on social media and other online platforms to attempt to control the people who have access to public forums.

That's my take on it. When you see 5k shares or 500 comments or 300 retweets or whatever, it looks like a big number. But we've got 325 million people in the US alone. When you hear nothing from 324,995,000 people, I don't think it's as huge a deal as some (often the media) make it out to be.

(07-25-2018, 07:40 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: About 90% of great comedy comes at someone’s expense. However, the someone is usually group based into religion, race, appearance etc. sucks that we can’t laugh at our differences. Laughter is the best medicine.

Agreed.

Good comedy doesn't have to be offensive, but a lot of times it does denote our differences, and a lot of times our reactions to them.
Reply/Quote
Where would Andrew Dice Clay be at today? 

Jack and Jill went up the hill. Both with a buck and a quarter. Jill came down with 2.50.

If it smells like fish, its a dish.  If it smells like cologne, leave it alone.

People are taking the act to seriously.  The Diceman character is a macho moron.  Its juvenile comedy. I just like to make people laugh.

all quotes from the Man himself.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 02:55 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Where would Andrew Dice Clay be at today? 

Jack and Jill went up the hill. Both with a buck and a quarter. Jill came down with 2.50.

If it smells like fish, its a dish.  If it smells like cologne, leave it alone.

People are taking the act to seriously.  The Diceman character is a macho moron.  Its juvenile comedy. I just like to make people laugh.

all quotes from the Man himself.

Or Eddie Murphy. Anyone remember (on youtube if not) back in the day during his stand up acts how he joked about gay people though didn't refer to them that way. Then joked about them and aids at the time.

He is pretty lucky today's pc folks has given him a pass, where other celebs get crucified for something they said in the past.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 11:59 AM)Beaker Wrote: Many fantastic comedians are both offensive and vulgar. Most people understand that its just comedy.

But can they be funny without it?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 02:27 AM)Beaker Wrote: The PC culture is slowly killing comedy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trevor-noah-under-fire-offensive-104825839.html

The key words in this article are "comedian" and "joke"....not to mention it was 5 years ago.

Jokes are supposed to be offensive. They are supposed to be un-PC. They are supposed to touch on uncomfortable subjects. They are supposed to insult.

Comedians like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are no longer playing college campuses due to the overly PC backlash of their routines. College campuses were once the bastion of cutting edge comedy. And guys like Bill Burr get constant flak on social media for things they say during their routines.

Comedians have always walked the edge. Think back to guys like George Carlin and Richard Pryor. Go even further back and guys like Don Rickles made a living off of being abrasive and insulting people.

If you go to a comedy show and hear edgy material, guess what....its a joke. I could say eff 'em if they can't take a joke, but I'm sure the sexual reference would offend someone.

SMH....what are we coming to.
I saw a comedian one time (can't remember his name) on comedy central a while back doing a bit on the word "******".  How people are over sensitive to that word, and while he was doing his bit on this some lady in the audience spoke up and said that her son was "mentally challenged" and she took offense to his term on "******".  Too which he responded something to the effect of "that's ********" Hilarious 

I use the phrase "that's ********" probably daily.  I have cousin who's daughter is severally mentally and physically challenged and my heart goes out to them.  But ******** people do some goofy shit and sometimes it's funny.
Reply/Quote
Lots of stand up comedians still do race and gay jokes.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 09:20 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: But can they be funny without it?

Because comedy is an area where you get to say things that normally you need to censor. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 01:28 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I saw a comedian one time (can't remember his name) on comedy central a while back doing a bit on the word "******".  How people are over sensitive to that word, and while he was doing his bit on this some lady in the audience spoke up and said that her son was "mentally challenged" and she took offense to his term on "******".  Too which he responded something to the effect of "that's ********" Hilarious 

I think that was Daniel Tosh. Dude is hilarious and doesn't give a damn about being PC. His whole act would probably be considered too unPC by people.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 01:28 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I saw a comedian one time (can't remember his name) on comedy central a while back doing a bit on the word "******".  How people are over sensitive to that word, and while he was doing his bit on this some lady in the audience spoke up and said that her son was "mentally challenged" and she took offense to his term on "******".  Too which he responded something to the effect of "that's ********" Hilarious 

I use the phrase "that's ********" probably daily.  I have cousin who's daughter is severally mentally and physically challenged and my heart goes out to them.  But ******** people do some goofy shit and sometimes it's funny.

A lot of it depends on the setting. 20ish years ago when I had free time, I worked with a local agency that works with the mentally handicapped. I get onto my son (and his friends) when he refers to someone as a ****** (although I don't have a real issue with "that's ********".) 

But in a comedy act? That's pretty much fair game. If people are offended, don't go to his show. There's non-offensive options out there.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 01:28 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I saw a comedian one time (can't remember his name) on comedy central a while back doing a bit on the word "******". 

Nick Swordson.
Reply/Quote