Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The difference Pollack will make
Let me preface this by saying I absolutely do not expect Pollack to come back here and perform miracles. He’s not going to turn guys like Spain and XSF into Pro Bowlers, but I think some are forgetting just how good of a coach he is (especially compared to what we had the last couple years). Saw this thread by Joe Goodberry and there’s some interesting numbers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joegoodberry/status/1377750950518095876?prefetchtimestamp=1617485977261

Where Pollack was ranked when he was here in Cincinnati is particularly impressive considering what he was working with that year.

[Image: EAq3Cm9UIAIoE5n?format=jpg&name=large]

And now he’s obviously going to have guys like Jonah and Reiff.

I am in no way shape or form advocating putting all our hopes on just him and not adding any more pieces to the OL. I want at 1-2 from this draft. But I feel so much better going into this season with an actual NFL caliber OL coach (and run game coordinator).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let me preface this by saying I absolutely do not expect Pollack to come back here and perform miracles. He’s not going to turn guys like Spain and XSF into Pro Bowlers, but I think some are forgetting just how good of a coach he is (especially compared to what we had the last couple years). Saw this thread by Joe Goodberry and there’s some interesting numbers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joegoodberry/status/1377750950518095876?prefetchtimestamp=1617485977261

Where Pollack was ranked when he was here in Cincinnati is particularly impressive considering what he was working with that year.

I am in no way shape or form advocating putting all our hopes on just him and not adding any more pieces to the OL. I want at 1-2 from this draft. But I feel so much better going into this season with an actual NFL caliber OL coach (and run game coordinator).

Worth noting that in 2018 the Bengals were 18th in pass attempts with 542.

Meanwhile in 2020 Joe Burrow had 399 pass attempts in just 9.5 games. (Halftime of the DC game.) That's a 672 pass attempt season pace in 16 games, or now that it is a 17 game season, that would be 714 pass attempts.

Now imagine that 2018 OL with ~170 or roughly 10 more pass attempts PER GAME crammed into the season. Doubt it performs as well. Taylor's "scheme" will prevent a lot of gains in performance.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worth noting that in 2018 the Bengals were 18th in pass attempts with 542.

Meanwhile in 2020 Joe Burrow had 399 pass attempts in just 9.5 games. (Halftime of the DC game.) That's a 672 pass attempt season pace in 16 games, or now that it is a 17 game season, that would be 714 pass attempts.

Now imagine that 2018 OL with ~170 or roughly 10 more pass attempts PER GAME crammed into the season. Doubt it performs as well. Taylor's "scheme" will prevent a lot of gains in performance.

Throwing that much is simply unsustainable for long term success. You would also think the FO would want to get their money’s worth out of Mixon. Anyway, I like that we gave Pollack the title of run game coordinator. I trust him to game plan more than I do Callahan and Taylor.

Reply/Quote
We don't need the OL to be great. Right now we need them to be not awful

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Throwing that much is simply unsustainable for long term success. You would also think the FO would want to get their money’s worth out of Mixon. Anyway, I like that we gave Pollack the title of run game coordinator. I trust him to game plan more than I do Callahan and Taylor.

This X 100
Reply/Quote
Pollack made absolute slop look almost average last time around.

I want better than almost average though, and Reiff is only locked up for 1 year.

Happy we got Pollack back though, no doubt.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let me preface this by saying I absolutely do not expect Pollack to come back here and perform miracles. He’s not going to turn guys like Spain and XSF into Pro Bowlers, but I think some are forgetting just how good of a coach he is (especially compared to what we had the last couple years). Saw this thread by Joe Goodberry and there’s some interesting numbers.

Speaking of Quinton Spain.In 2019 he started all 16 games for the Buffalo Bills.Playing in every offensive snap.Commiting only 4 penalties,and not allowing a single sack.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 08:58 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Speaking of Quinton Spain.In 2019 he started all 16 games for the Buffalo Bills.Playing in every offensive snap.Commiting only 4 penalties,and not allowing a single sack.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 09:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

eye opening huh ?

I'm glad Pollack is back.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Throwing that much is simply unsustainable for long term success. You would also think the FO would want to get their money’s worth out of Mixon. Anyway, I like that we gave Pollack the title of run game coordinator. I trust him to game plan more than I do Callahan and Taylor.

That is a side of this offense I don't get.

The Rams used Gurley a lot. I'm not here to say Mixon is as good as Todd Gurley but he is certainly good enough to be used more often.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Nice stats. They show what a lot of us were saying - that Pollack is pretty good and Turner is trash. Our linemen actually REGRESSED under Turner. As we see he DID have Price developing nicely. Plus remember Pollack HAS coached up linemen successfully in the last (recently Mekhi Becton, George Fant and Connor McGovern).

Oh, and it also is yet another stat (we have a collection now on here) showing that Quinton Spain is a good Guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let me preface this by saying I absolutely do not expect Pollack to come back here and perform miracles. He’s not going to turn guys like Spain and XSF into Pro Bowlers, but I think some are forgetting just how good of a coach he is (especially compared to what we had the last couple years). Saw this thread by Joe Goodberry and there’s some interesting numbers.

(04-03-2021, 09:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Thanks for posting those.  As Joelist already said, it gives some validation to what most of us already knew.  Letting Pollack go in the first place was just an asinine decision on the part of Zac Taylor, for not taking the time to actually get to know Pollack before deciding "other" was the route to go.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 09:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is a side of this offense I don't get.

The Rams used Gurley a lot. I'm not here to say Mixon is as good as Todd Gurley but he is certainly good enough to be used more often.

Mixon has to be on the field first.  I think they attempted something like this when they went up big in Indy this season.  They ran a lot more when they jumped out to that big lead.  Then they tried to run and hide as paid the price, but that's another conversation.
Reply/Quote
Turner was an epically bad coach. I have no idea why we ever hired him. I know Zac has ties, but someone in the front office should have stepped in and made the decision for him. His hire was like pouring gasoline on a position group that had been on fire for 4 years straight. IDK if Pollack is a miracle worker, but I feel halfway confident that he won't completely botch things, either.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 10:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for posting those.  As Joelist already said, it gives some validation to what most of us already knew.  Letting Pollack go in the first place was just an asinine decision on the part of Zac Taylor, for not taking the time to actually get to know Pollack before deciding "other" was the route to go.

Pollack left on his own accord, before Taylor had anyone in place.

This has been well-documented and repeated ad nauseum, since he was re-hired.

Zac had 0 to do with him leaving.

EDIT**

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/15/18184263/bengals-rumors-coach-frank-pollack-out 01/15/19
https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-named-10th-bengals-head-coach 02/04/19

So yeah, not only did he not have anything to do with the decision, *he wasn't even hired yet*
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Pollack left on his own accord, before Taylor had anyone in place.

This has been well-documented and repeated ad nauseum, since he was re-hired.

Zac had 0 to do with him leaving.

EDIT**

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/15/18184263/bengals-rumors-coach-frank-pollack-out 01/15/19
https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-named-10th-bengals-head-coach 02/04/19

So yeah, not only did he not have anything to do with the decision, *he wasn't even hired yet*

Here's what i believe the likely scenario is. When the Bengals and Zac talked, he let them know that he was looking to bring Turner in, OR he had a couple guys in mind and was willing to have Pollack interview for the postition. 

I'm thinking that without any kind of assurance that he was going to be back, Pollack decided it was time to go seek new employment while the gettin' was good. If he waits too long, there's no openings. 

At least, that's what my gut is saying. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The only thing I don’t understand is that if pollack is so good why has he never landed a job on a better team? I’m sure he has his reasons but it’s weird to bounce back between the Bengals and the Jets.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:57 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The only thing I don’t understand is that if pollack is so good why has he never landed a job on a better team? I’m sure he has his reasons but it’s weird to bounce back between the Bengals and the Jets.

Eh, Bill Callahan went from Washington to Cleveland. Good teams generally aren’t firing coaches and looking for replacements.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:57 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The only thing I don’t understand is that if pollack is so good why has he never landed a job on a better team? I’m sure he has his reasons but it’s weird to bounce back between the Bengals and the Jets.

He has some success and I thought we should interview him but i have mixed feelings for sure.. the Jets overall did not do that well under him... they gave up alot of sacks... 95 under Pollacks leadership as Oline coach....that is a worry 
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 12:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, Bill Callahan went from Washington to Cleveland. Good teams generally aren’t firing coaches and looking for replacements.

Here is always the problem in trying to figure that out.. is the team good because of the coaches or bad because of them ?  Here we want coaches gone when losing but we are ok taking coaches from teams that are losing... slippery slope it seems. 
Reply/Quote